I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

Oh, about that child...the 6-year old Hush Puppy? You won't see a better performance, by adult or child, all year. You may see one as good...but not better. Quvenzhané Wallis, who plays Hush Puppy, is in almost every scene and she will SEAR herself into your memory. It is an astonishing performance...it would be astonishing for an adult, so the fact that this little girl was able to summon the facial control and emotional facility needed for this role is a miracle. A Best Actress nomination should be a lock, and dare I say she should win.

I just read that she lied about her age at the audition as she was only 5 at the time! That's amazing.

From IMDb;

At age 5, Nazie (her nickname), had to fib about her age to audition for her very first acting job--the starring role in Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012) because the minimum age to be considered was six. She eventually beat out some 4,000 other local kids to play Hushpuppy--the indomitable child prodigy and survivalist who lives with her dying father in the backwoods bayou squalor of Louisiana. Director Benh Zeitlin told The Daily Beast that when he auditioned Nazie, he immediately realized he'd discovered what he was looking for, and changed the 'Beasts' script to accommodate her strong-willed personality.

OK, guess what.

I'm unsophisticated and I'm OK with that.

Battleship was fun as hell!

It had a lot of cheesy moments, but I'm a sucker for shameless tugs at your heartstrings.

Yeah, anyone could see where it was going when they boarded the USS Missouri - so what!

Seeing the old-timers lining up ready for action was fun as hell, and I'm sitting here smiling as I write about it.

I enjoyed it, and it was well-worth the $1.99 I paid at the second-run theater in town.

It was funny, it was hokey, and it was exciting enough to keep me interested.

Also not sure where all the Rhianna hate was coming from - she played her part OK, about what I'd expect.

It's not like she appeared to be trying to upstage anyone, or taking herself too serious.

mv5bmji5ntm5mda2n15bml5.jpg

I offered "Moonrise Kingdom" and "Snow White and the Huntsman" as options for my wife to see together. She picked the latter. I usually don't go to movies, but thought this might be in 3D and wanted to experience one for the first time - it wasn't, though. They had 3D glasses at the entrance, and all the previews they showed (including "The Great Gatsby" WTF?) were going to be in 3D. Anyway, this is probably much like "Lord of the Rings", except the bad guys down go down quite as easy. And don't expect any Hi-Ho's...

51JV3VH2XJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Finally got around to seeing this last night thanks to the YouTubes.

It's a classic. :^)

My nephew sent me a copy of 'Emperor Of The North'. I saw it when it first came out (1973) Borgnine was perfect for the part. Reminded me of him as 'Fatso' in 'From Here To Eternity'.

Also just watched 'Jeff Who Lives At Home'

Love the Monkees, usually like campy stuff - but wasn't this film really unwatchable?

I didn't find it "unwatchable" but, like I'd always heard, it's a huge departure from anything ever associated with them. I guess everyone has their own interpretation but the gist of it seems to be them throwing off the shackles of their Monkees persona. For those looking for any sort of plot, there is none.

there%2Bbut%2Bfor%2Bfortune.jpg

Great documentary which is part of PBS' outstanding American Masters series which you can watch online here. I'm not sure how or where I first heard of Phil Ochs but many years ago I stumbled upon his Chords of Fame album, which I don't think I've ever listened to. Several years ago, Todd Snider wrote and recorded a song called "Thin Wild Mercury" about a famous incident (which is covered in the documentary) that took place between Bob Dylan and Phil back in the 60's. Even though I greatly enjoyed the documentary, it wasn't enough to make me a fan (his voice is just a bit too "folky" for me). That said, I'm very glad I watched it as I learned a whole lot about Phil, which isn't saying much because I honestly knew next to nothing about him before. For most of my life he's been little more than a rock n' roll footnote. Unfortunately, it seems he hasn't been any more significant than that to a lot of other people either.

Vests, yes.... Heat, no! After this there will probably be metal detectors put in place. I don't think a bunch of yahoo's shooting guns in a dark theatre, with panicking people running everywhere, is a great idea!

Vests, yes.... Heat, no! After this there will probably be metal detectors put in place. I don't think a bunch of yahoo's shooting guns in a dark theatre, with panicking people running everywhere, is a great idea!

Only problem is the shooter kicked in through an emergency exit.

If a few people in the show had actually been "packing heat", maybe an off-duty officer, many lives might have been spared.

We'll certainly never know since it was a gun-free zone.

Let's be real here, a guy kicks in the door, starts gassing people and shooting at them. Nobody is gonna be with it enough to quickly figure out what's going, find their weapon, locate the shooter clearly in a smokey dark room with people running everywhere, and then take out the shooter, who is wearing a bulletproof vest, while dodging bullets and people are still running everywhere... A much greater probability would be more people getting shot, especially if more than one person has the same idea!

Let's be real here, a guy kicks in the door, starts gassing people and shooting at them. Nobody is gonna be with it enough to quickly figure out what's going, find their weapon, locate the shooter clearly in a smokey dark room with people running everywhere, and then take out the shooter, who is wearing a bulletproof vest, while dodging bullets and people are still running everywhere... A much greater probability would be more people getting shot, especially if more than one person has the same idea!

Off-duty police officer, ex-military or even active-duty military on leave, or just an avid gun-owner who trains on the regular?

Most people who make the effort to legally carry a weapon are the type who are generally capable of reacting to a "situation" should it arise.

It's not that hard to imagine someone who - had they been armed - could have taken action that would have reduced the amount of destruction this person caused.

We can theorize all we want, but I'm dropping it in this thread, as it's a great thread that has nothing to do with this topic.

I was responding to Rick's post, until you responded to mine. You are correct, we don't need to debate anything here except movies being watched. Nothing to debate, actually....prayers go out to the families of the deceased and injured.

Watched "La Bamba" for the first time in years last night. It stands the test of time, just like Richie's music does.

41we5tN6D5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I wore the grooves off of the album of the same name back in the day but other than a quick glimpse of this I caught on laser disc in the 80's, I've never seen the entire movie. For being just under an hour long they manage to work in lots of material, including a standout performance of "Xanadu" as well as other now classic tunes from the Rush back catalog.

This crazy bastard thinks he is really the joker. His apartment is booby trapped and a death trap. He had more in store.

Off-duty police officer, ex-military or even active-duty military on leave, or just an avid gun-owner who trains on the regular?

Most people who make the effort to legally carry a weapon are the type who are generally capable of reacting to a "situation" should it arise.

It's not that hard to imagine someone who - had they been armed - could have taken action that would have reduced the amount of destruction this person caused.

We can theorize all we want, but I'm dropping it in this thread, as it's a great thread that has nothing to do with this topic.

I do not wish to start a controversy so I will be brief and explain personal experience.

Before I went to school for psychology I went into the Marine Corps directly after HS (17 yrs old) to obtain the GI bill to help fund my future education. While in the Corps I experienced actual combat twice, once in Panama (2nd Marine Div, 6th reg) and the second time during Desert Storm (1st Platoon RTT). I will tell you this, when someone is shooting at you, experience or not unless you are insane, you are scared shitless. Even trained your natural instinct is to find cover fast before anything else. Believe me, it is real easy to train for combat or an actual shooting scenario, it is quite another to be involved in one. In this situation the guy had full body armor and a ballistic helmet, he was almost impervious to weapons fire. In the off chance someone was armed the body count would have most likely been greater. The only exception to this beside pure divine intervention would be a situation where a trained sniper armed with night vision and having a clear shot, outside of both those scenarios, this outcome was inevitable once the shooter arrived.

Edited by Sagittarius Rising