I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

The only exception to this beside pure divine intervention would be a situation where a trained sniper armed with night vision and having a clear shot, outside of both those scenarios, this outcome was inevitable once the shooter arrived.

It would have been divine if this piece of dog shit would have slipped on some spilled skittles and emptied his full arsonal up his own ass...

Saw "The Dark Knight Rises" at a midnight show last night. No metal detectors, no cops, no hassles, no overreaction to an aberration. Was going to see it at the Cinerama Dome, where the place was crawling with cops and media, but it was sold out. So I ventured further east on Sunset to the friendly confines of The Vista in the Los Feliz/Silverlake area of Hollywood, where nobody carries a weapon stronger than tofu.

The movie was good...but with a few issues. I'm seeing it again on Monday at an IMAX theatre. I'll wait until then before writing more.

This crazy bastard thinks he is really the joker. His apartment is booby trapped and a death trap. He had more in store.

Can't help but think that something like this was bound to happen sooner or later with these kinds of dark, violent movies serving as a backdrop for someone mentally unstable to act out their psychotic fantasies.

Can't help but think that something like this was bound to happen sooner or later with these kinds of dark, violent movies serving as a backdrop for someone mentally unstable to act out their psychotic fantasies.

Someone that is mentally deranged (as this person obviously is) will carry out this sort of behavior no matter what. As we all witnessed with Columbine when the press tried to use Marilyn Manson as a scapegoat, these acts of violence aren't the fault of the media whether they be Manson, a supposedly subliminal message on a Judas Priest record, video games or a Batman movie.

Someone that is mentally deranged (as this person obviously is) will carry out this sort of behavior no matter what. As we all witnessed with Columbine when the press tried to use Marilyn Manson as a scapegoat, these acts of violence aren't the fault of the media whether they be Manson, a supposedly subliminal message on a Judas Priest record, video games or a Batman movie.

Yeah, but in this case he used the movie theater where the film was showing and claimed to be a Batman character (the Joker) after he went on his killing spree. Not saying it's the fault of the media but it could serve as a trigger. To say that the media had zero influence on what this guy did doesn't carry much weight imo.

In reference to the Joker accusations, according to this article that's not true, at least as far as being in makeup is concerned:

"In New York City, Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said: "It clearly looks like a deranged individual. He has his hair painted red. He said he was the Joker, obviously the enemy of Batman."

Oates would not confirm that information, but did say he spoke to Kelly. Asked whether Holmes had makeup to look like the Joker, Oates said: "That to my knowledge is not true."

In regards to the media somehow being responsible, I've never believed in that sort of reasoning, especially since it's been proven time and time again that it's not. A Batman movie no more played a part in this massacre than A Catcher In the Rye did in Mark David Chapman's assassination of John Lennon or the White Album did in the atrocities that the Manson family carried out. These people were nuts and would have carried out these acts of violence with or without the presence of books, movies or music. If indeed you believe a Batman movie is all it took to push this guy over the edge, what exactly do you propose should be done to prevent such tragedies in the future, ban all media? If it was somehow proven that a movie like The Dark Knight Rises was all it takes to set these lunatics off, don't you think we would see this sort of thing on a massive scale? The media might make for a convenient scapegoat but it's not what's at the center of these sorts of tragedies, it's the mental instability of the perpetrators and in the case of Columbine and similar cases, very questionable parenting.

Edited by Jahfin

Here's a trailer (which is not yet on YouTube, at least that I could find) for Man of Steel, which isn't coming out until next summer. The trailers (according the linked article there are at least two) are presently showing during screenings of The Dark Knight Rises.

I do not wish to start a controversy so I will be brief and explain personal experience.

Before I went to school for psychology I went into the Marine Corps directly after HS (17 yrs old) to obtain the GI bill to help fund my future education. While in the Corps I experienced actual combat twice, once in Panama (2nd Marine Div, 6th reg) and the second time during Desert Storm (1st Platoon RTT). I will tell you this, when someone is shooting at you, experience or not unless you are insane, you are scared shitless. Even trained your natural instinct is to find cover fast before anything else. Believe me, it is real easy to train for combat or an actual shooting scenario, it is quite another to be involved in one. In this situation the guy had full body armor and a ballistic helmet, he was almost impervious to weapons fire. In the off chance someone was armed the body count would have most likely been greater. The only exception to this beside pure divine intervention would be a situation where a trained sniper armed with night vision and having a clear shot, outside of both those scenarios, this outcome was inevitable once the shooter arrived.

Old school.

Purchased Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy on OnDemand Sunday, and fell asleep halfway in.

It was a 2-day rental, so I gave it another shot last night (because I'd heard a lot of good things, especially from this thread and Strider in particular) and watched the whole thing.

I did like it, but I can't remember ever having to pay so close attention to a movie, it was almost exhausting.

I think they did an incredible job reconstructing that time period, it even LOOKED like a movie from that era.

I now wish I'd read the book so as to have a better understanding of what was going on.

Strider, if you're out there, I have a couple questions if you don't mind.

I kinda suck at symbolism and whatnot, but I'm fairly certain the random shots of the trains and train tracks meant something, I'm just not sure what.

Is there anything you can offer that would explain this, or am I completely "off-track", as it were?

OK, I guess that's really just a single question, so yeah.

post-4573-0-47242100-1343135949.jpg

Strider, if you're out there, I have a couple questions if you don't mind.

I kinda suck at symbolism and whatnot, but I'm fairly certain the random shots of the trains and train tracks meant something, I'm just not sure what.

Is there anything you can offer that would explain this, or am I completely "off-track", as it were?

OK, I guess that's really just a single question, so yeah.

Hmmm, it's been so long since I saw the movie and I don't recall an inordinate amount of train shots...certainly not as overt and symbolic as Claude Lanzmann's use of trains and train tracks in "Shoah", his epic exploration of the Holocaust. Next time you have 10 hours to kill, rent it...everyone should see "Shoah" at least once.

I should probably wait and see "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" again before answering your question, but I'm going to go on a limb and say that it was probably no more than a way of providing flavour to the film. I've found in my travels that trains are a more prevalent influence in European life than in America. Trains, and train stations lend a film a certain atmosphere.

The next time I watch it, though, I'll pay particular attention to the train shots and see if I can detect any pattern or symbolism.

In regards to the media somehow being responsible, I've never believed in that sort of reasoning, especially since it's been proven time and time again that it's not. A Batman movie no more played a part in this massacre than A Catcher In the Rye did in Mark David Chapman's assassination of John Lennon or the White Album did in the atrocities that the Manson family carried out. These people were nuts and would have carried out these acts of violence with or without the presence of books, movies or music. If indeed you believe a Batman movie is all it took to push this guy over the edge, what exactly do you propose should be done to prevent such tragedies in the future, ban all media? If it was somehow proven that a movie like The Dark Knight Rises was all it takes to set these lunatics off, don't you think we would see this sort of thing on a massive scale? The media might make for a convenient scapegoat but it's not what's at the center of these sorts of tragedies, it's the mental instability of the perpetrators and in the case of Columbine and similar cases, very questionable parenting.

Not exactly, but some self-censorship is already occuring because of this tragedy. Warner Bros. quickly pulled a trailer for its upcoming film "Gangster Squad," which was playing in theaters before "The Dark Knight Rises." The promo for the 1940s period film contains a climactic scene in which mobsters fire automatic weapons into a movie theater audience from behind the screen. The film was originally set to be released September 7, 2012 but in the wake of the shooting the film was bumped to a January 11, 2013 release date. There are reports that the theater scene from the film might be either removed or placed in a different setting and the film might undergo additional re-shoots of several scenes to accommodate these changes

If violent movies were the cause of violence, shouldn't do-gooder doggerel like "Gandhi" and "Crash" cause an outbreak of universal love and brotherhood?

Thank god the theatre I went to didn't overreact...not only did we get the "Man of Steel" and "Looper" trailers, we got to see the trailer to what looks to be one of the highlights of the year: Quentin Tarantino's "Django Unchained"!!! Hell yeah!!!

If violent movies were the cause of violence, shouldn't do-gooder doggerel like "Gandhi" and "Crash" cause an outbreak of universal love and brotherhood?

Agreed. As to what 2bitnogoodjive is referring to in his post, I really don't see that as "self censorhip", it's more like showing good taste in light of the tragedy. It's really no different that how certain movies were postponed following the events of September 11, 2001. Especially ones that hit too close to home such as Collateral Damage which didn't come out until the following year. It was also apparently subject to some editing prior to release.

Just came home from being out with some friends to see the new restored expanded print of Sergio Leone's "The Good, the Bad & the Ugly". At least 4 or 5 extra scenes that were cut from the original release.

It's part of this giant retrospective of Spaghetti Westerns that the American Cinematheque is screening for the next few weeks...including some that have inspired Quentin Tarantino. Not just Leone, but Corbucci, Santi, Parolini, and many others.

It's been a fabulous week of great 'guy' films at the Cinematheque: "Dr. Strangelove" Wednesday, "The Deer Hunter" Thursday, "The Good, the Bad & the Ugly" tonight.

And not a lick of crappy CGI.

Fan-bloody-tastic.

That's on my to-do list...I've been hearing nothing but positive words about this and the LCD Soundsystem documentary "Shut Up and Play the Hits".

Another day, another classic movie: today I am taking some kids to see "Jaws" on the big screen. None of the kids have seen the film before. Plus, as an added bonus, the people responsible for "Bruce" the mechanical shark will be there to talk about the making of "Jaws" and the difficulties in getting the shark to work.

I still remember going with my little sister to a matinee of "Jaws" in 1975 and how she left my arm bruised from gripping it so hard during the movie. Especially when that dead guy pops out from the boat when Richard Dryfuss is trying to get the shark's tooth out.

Robert Shaw FTW!!!

I remember reading the book once I heard they were going to make a movie out of it. Once I got started, I couldn't put it down and probably read it in something like 3-4 days. It's not exactly the stuff of high brow literature but I was sucked in beginning with the opening sentence.

That's on my to-do list...I've been hearing nothing but positive words about this and the LCD Soundsystem documentary "Shut Up and Play the Hits".

Another day, another classic movie: today I am taking some kids to see "Jaws" on the big screen. None of the kids have seen the film before. Plus, as an added bonus, the people responsible for "Bruce" the mechanical shark will be there to talk about the making of "Jaws" and the difficulties in getting the shark to work.

I still remember going with my little sister to a matinee of "Jaws" in 1975 and how she left my arm bruised from gripping it so hard during the movie. Especially when that dead guy pops out from the boat when Richard Dryfuss is trying to get the shark's tooth out.

Robert Shaw FTW!!!

OMG Ben Gardner with his optic nerve hanging from his eye socket!

Classic!

:)

Hi Strider,all,

>Another day, another classic movie: today I am taking some kids to see "Jaws" on the big screen. None of the kids have seen the film before. Plus, as an added bonus, the people responsible for "Bruce" the mechanical shark will be there to talk about the making of "Jaws" and the difficulties in getting the shark to work.<

The new transfer?Blu-ray?You lucky bum! ;)

Nice story here about 'Bruce' http://gizmodo.com/5332380/remembering-bruce-the-mechanical-shark-from-jaws

>I still remember going with my little sister to a matinee of "Jaws" in 1975 and how she left my arm bruised from gripping it so hard during the movie. Especially when that dead guy pops out from the boat when Richard Dryfuss is trying to get the shark's tooth out.<

Got a tale to tell about the Summer or '75,......

KB