I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

I remember reading the book once I heard they were going to make a movie out of it. Once I got started, I couldn't put it down and probably read it in something like 3-4 days. It's not exactly the stuff of high brow literature but I was sucked in beginning with the opening sentence.

Most definitely. I did the same thing, too, read the book by Peter Benchley after seeing the movie. The very definition of a "compulsively readable" book. I was glad the movie cut out the affair between Hooper and Chief Brody's wife, though.

OMG Ben Gardner with his optic nerve hanging from his eye socket!

Classic!

:)

Spoken like a true medical professional. :)

Hi Strider,all,

>Another day, another classic movie: today I am taking some kids to see "Jaws" on the big screen. None of the kids have seen the film before. Plus, as an added bonus, the people responsible for "Bruce" the mechanical shark will be there to talk about the making of "Jaws" and the difficulties in getting the shark to work.<

The new transfer?Blu-ray?You lucky bum! ;)

No, not a blu-ray...we saw "Jaws" at an actual theatre; the Alex Theatre in Glendale. In fact, as a point of reference, since this thread is titled "I've Been Going...", unless I specifically mention watching a movie on TCM or a dvd, all the movies I post about here are films I went out to see in a movie theatre.

The kids loved "Jaws" by the way. And they showed a classic Bugs Bunny cartoon before the film, just like in the old days. It was "Captain Hareblower", with Bugs and Yosemite Sam, or in this case, Pirate Sam duking it out on the high seas. Classic.

It just isn't the same watching these on a tv screen or a computer monitor...or god forbid, a cellphone.

Edited by Strider

Another day, another classic movie: today I am taking some kids to see "Jaws" on the big screen. None of the kids have seen the film before. Plus, as an added bonus, the people responsible for "Bruce" the mechanical shark will be there to talk about the making of "Jaws" and the difficulties in getting the shark to work.

I still remember going with my little sister to a matinee of "Jaws" in 1975 and how she left my arm bruised from gripping it so hard during the movie. Especially when that dead guy pops out from the boat when Richard Dryfuss is trying to get the shark's tooth out.

I still remember the first time I saw Jaws. It was its first airing on British TV in 1981. The next day in school our teacher asked 'So, who watched Jaws last night?'. Everybody out of a class of around 30 children raised their hands except for one girl.

The viewing figures were something like 24 million - the highest of 1981 and the highest ever for a film on British TV, which of course was never broken with the rising popularity of video rental in the early eighties.

Robert Shaw FTW!!!

Absolutely! This is still my favourite scene from Jaws.

It's been kind of a bad time for romantic comedies lately, which is why I'm hoping "Celeste and Jesse Forever" bucks the recent trend.

Another rom-com that I saw recently, "Ruby Sparks", started out great but then sort of wrote itself in a pickle the second half of the movie and got lost. Too bad, as it has some wonderful moments. It's from the same directors that did "Little Miss Sunshine" and "Sunshine Cleaning". It stars Paul Dano and Zoe Kazan(who also wrote the script and is related to Elia Kazan). Every location used in the film is a place I haunt regularly: Skylight Books, Hammer Museum, Le Figaro Bistro, Tommy's, Griffith Park.

eaalnaaek.jpg

Even though he was in the public spotlight for the majority of my adult life I never really knew a whole lot about Gore Vidal so I found this entry in PBS' American Masters series to be very informative. In lieu of his recent passing, PBS is making The Education of Gore Vidal available for online viewing up until this Thursday, August 9th. Click on the image above to watch.

Edited by Jahfin

The last movie I saw was the Dark Knight Rises. The beginning dragged, but the ending was so amazing that it was worth it. Still, 3 hours, at least the first hour could be cut to make the movie still amazing. Just my opinion. ^_^

Hi Cassie! Are you new?

I saw "The Dark Kinght Rises" twice on the opening weekend: once at a midnight show at the Cinerama Dome and once at the IMAX theatre in Universal City.

But I have been waiting to write anything about it, so as to give others here a chance to see the film; I would hate to give away spoilers. Speaking in general terms, I liked it...somewhere in between "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight", although there were some aspects I thought were better even than "The Dark Knight": the Bruce Wayne/Batman character is explored more in depth in "The Dark Knight Rises", whereas he was overshadowed by The Joker in "The Dark Knight".

The IMAX sequences are amazing, even if you see the film in a regular theatre. Most of the action and stunts are real...there is minimal CGI...and the movie is all the better for it. The opening scene for instance was a real stunt...those are real planes.

Anyway, the movie's been out 3 weeks and I want to wait until it's been out a month before writing in-depth about TDKR.

But yeah, I recommend it if that sort of movie is your thing.

Control

This didn't turn me into a Joy Division fan but at least I know a little more about them than I did before which, admittedly, wasn't very much.

This looks interesting, I did a little reading in IMDB. Did you like the film?

Yes, I did but it was mainly to educate myself more about Joy Division since I have a few friends that are fans and because they are generally so highly regarded. If you're familiar with their story at all you'll know it's not the most uplifting of subject matter but you may still find it worthy of viewing. Speaking of which, there's also a Joy Division documentary out there as well as a movie called 24 Hour Party People which apparently focuses a good bit on their story as well as other bands from their region. By the way, Control is on YouTube if you want to give it a looksee:

http://youtu.be/xO2wBG4m-xg

I watched 'The Dark Knight Rises' on opening weekend and whie I really liked it, I need to see it again. Maybe it was the distraction of the horrible events the night before or the manager checking the exits every 15 minutes or the difficulty in making out what Bane was sayings sometimes, but there were parts of it that confused. Still, Nolan's ending - without giving it away - is bittersweet and complete. He's a really good story teller, but you have to pay attention.

Also watched the latest Bourne offering recently and was disappointed. Long on action, short on plot - not the balance of both from previous installments. Like its predecessors, the ending is set up for a sequel, but in getting there, they committed the cardinal sin of movie making imo - I didn't really care about the main character. If it weren't for my being into the Jason Bourne series, I wouldn't go see the future movies, but I probably will. Damn it.

Edited by Patrycja

220px-Inception_ver3.jpg

I found this film boring and had to watch it in two sittings. 2 1/2 hours was way too long.

Don't feel bad, I had pretty same experience except mine was more about how hyped it was and how little it seemed to deliver. I guess I enjoyed it but it wasn't exactly what I was expecting.

Re: Inception. I had a similar reaction as both of you the first time I saw it. I did enjoy it more after a few tries. However, I had a difficult time hearing/understanding a lot of Marion Cotillard's dialogue.

^^^

I call it the Hans Zimmer effect. If there is a consistent flaw to Christopher Nolan's recent films, it is an over-reliance on Hans Zimmer's pounding scores to the point that it can drown out the dialogue. Sometimes he needs to go more Alexandre Desplat and less Zimmer.

The problem is that Nolan and his soundmixers have heard the dialogue a hundred times; they know it by heart. So it is unnoticeable to them that the score and effects sometimes buries the dialogue, thereby making it difficult for a first-time viewer to understand certain characters.

In "The Dark Knight Rises", I understood most of Bane's dialogue, but there was a scene between Gary Oldman and Gordon-Levitt where Oldman's words were mush.

Regarding "Inception"...I didn't go in with any preconceived notions or expectations, and I liked it the first time I saw it and the second time...and every subsequent viewing after that. One of the pleasant surprises for me was that, unlike most movies that take a Freudian view on dreams, Nolan went with a Jungian interpretation.

Loved the ending that allows you, the viewer, to decide. And what's not to love about the cast, especially the chemistry between Tom Hardy and Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who prove you don't have to be steroid-inflated goons to be a credible male action star. Brains and brawn.

Only Ellen Page is non-essential, meaning any number of actresses coiluld have played her part.

But Marion Cotillard was stunning in her mix of scary beauty and slightly deranged menace...there was a creepiness to her character that worked for me.

In some respects, I think I like Inception more than any of Nolan's Batman movies. I know that's heresy to many film geeks...but there it is.

Edited by Strider

I haven't seen The Dark Knight Rises and in all honesty, I'm in no real hurry to (though I'm sure I'll watch it when it comes out on DVD) but other than Batman Begins, I haven't been all that taken with this latest round of Batman movies. I appreciate the darker, more gothic side of the Batman tale but I really think I like the first one with Michael Keaton best. And yes, I remember all of the hubbub about him being cast in that role way back when. Then again, some of my fondest memories are of watching the original Batman television series as a kid so what the fuck do I know.

I haven't seen Nolan's Batman movies as I'm not a fan of comic book movies in general, but I liked 'Memento' and 'Insomnia'.

I missed (or don't remember) the hype surrounding 'Inception', so I didn't have overly high expectations or anything. I did expect to like it a lot more than I did though.

I enjoyed Memento but have never seen Insomnia. In fact, I'm not sure that I've ever even heard of it.

It stars Al Pacino and Robin Williams. It's a remake of a Norwegian film. I've not seen the original.

I call it the Hans Zimmer effect. If there is a consistent flaw to Christopher Nolan's recent films, it is an over-reliance on Hans Zimmer's pounding scores to the point that it can drown out the dialogue. Sometimes he needs to go more Alexandre Desplat and less Zimmer.

The problem is that Nolan and his soundmixers have heard the dialogue a hundred times; they know it by heart. So it is unnoticeable to them that the score and effects sometimes buries the dialogue, thereby making it difficult for a first-time viewer to understand certain characters.

In "The Dark Knight Rises", I understood most of Bane's dialogue, but there was a scene between Gary Oldman and Gordon-Levitt where Oldman's words were mush.

This is a good point. Just remembered that I caught some of Big Fish on one of HBO channels this week. I did not have the same problem with Cotillard.

ILoved the ending that allows you, the viewer, to decide. And what's not to love about the cast, especially the chemistry between Tom Hardy and Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who prove you don't have to be steroid-inflated goons to be a credible male action star. Brains and brawn.

Been a fan of Tom Hardy and Cillian Murphy for years. They have been in some older chickflick/period pieces. Pete Postelewaite (sp?) was always good.

I appreciate the darker, more gothic side of the Batman tale but I really think I like the first one with Michael Keaton best. Then again, some of my fondest memories are of watching the original Batman television series as a kid so what the fuck do I know.

Agree, Michael Keaton was excellent.

With all of this talk I want to go back and re-watch "Inception". I remember liking it but I also had zero expectations.

I am a huge fan of Nolan's Batman films because I respect the dark and introspective nature of the characters. I understand why Burton's films were so campy because he was spring boarding off of the television series but I was never a fan of them. Too silly.

Ady, I never liked the television show either.

What I love about Nolan is that he is a filmmaker that makes you think and pay close attention to the plot and character development. Regarding the latest Batman movie, every character, every plot point ties everything together with the entire trilogy. The first hour is necessary to build up to the next hour which builds up to the climax which puts an incredible period mark to the final sentence of the collective story.

It stars Al Pacino and Robin Williams. It's a remake of a Norwegian film. I've not seen the original.

Please do so as soon as you can. I'm not saying Nolan's remake is bad; certainly not in the "Planet of the Apes"-"Total Recall" sense. But the original is better for being first...and for being filmed in Norway and I prefer Stellan Skarsgård's performance to Al Pacino's.

There's something about certain European movies that have an atmosphere that doesn't translate when you switch locales to the U.S. Even if it is Alaska.

The same problem arose with the Dutch movie "Spoorloos" and the American remake "The Vanishing", with Jeff Bridges and Kiefer Sutherland.

With all of this talk I want to go back and re-watch "Inception". I remember liking it but I also had zero expectations.

I am a huge fan of Nolan's Batman films because I respect the dark and introspective nature of the characters. I understand why Burton's films were so campy because he was spring boarding off of the television series but I was never a fan of them. Too silly.

Ady, I never liked the television show either.

It was Jahfin who mentioned the Batman TV series, but I will say that I loved that show when I was a kid. It was repeated on British TV on Saturday mornings in the 1970s when I was just the right age for it.