I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

Please do so as soon as you can. I'm not saying Nolan's remake is bad; certainly not in the "Planet of the Apes"-"Total Recall" sense. But the original is better for being first...and for being filmed in Norway and I prefer Stellan Skarsgård's performance to Al Pacino's.

There's something about certain European movies that have an atmosphere that doesn't translate when you switch locales to the U.S. Even if it is Alaska.

The same problem arose with the Dutch movie "Spoorloos" and the American remake "The Vanishing", with Jeff Bridges and Kiefer Sutherland.

Will do. I haven't seen the remake since it was first on Sky TV about ten years ago, so I think I've forgotten a lot of plot points by now.

I've seen 'Spoorloos', absolutely fantastic! I saw the end of the remake when it was on TV once.

I know what you mean about the atmosphere in certain European movies. Have you seen the Danish TV series, The Killing aka Forbrydelsen?

Out of all of the newer Batman movies, I thought Joel Shumacher's Batman Forever and Batman & Robin were the closest to the spirit of the original series, they were also the worst of the latter day movies though they did have their moments, albeit brief.

For the Batman historians out there how come Robin has never been a part of the newer movies aside from the Shumacher ones mentioned above?

Oh, and least we forget the original Batman serials that predated the TV series in the 60's. I'd like to watch those sometime simply because I've never seen them.

avalon-batman432.jpg

Oops. Sorry Ady. Too many posts to keep straight. I am glad you liked the show. It was too campy for my tastes as a kid. I much preferred watching Bugs Bunny cartoons.

For me, if you are going to portray a superhero, you had better be a badass. Michael Keaton never did look like a guy who could beat the living shit out formidable villains or much less my lazy cat.

Oops. Sorry Ady. Too many posts to keep straight. I am glad you liked the show. It was too campy for my tastes as a kid. I much preferred watching Bugs Bunny cartoons.

For me, if you are going to portray a superhero, you had better be a badass. Michael Keaton never did look like a guy who could beat the living shit out formidable villains or much less my lazy cat.

Which is exactly why I didn't think he'd make a good Batman. Well, that and I believe he'd primarily been known as a comedic actor up until that point. I thought he fit the role well and I didn't really think Burton's movies were nearly as campy as the TV show or Shumacher's vision of Batman.

Have you seen the Danish TV series, The Killing aka Forbrydelsen?

Yes, the American version was on TV for two seasons. I was so aggravated when the murder was not solved at the end of the first season. As with many things, since I started down the path, I had to stick with it. It was just OK, it dragged on at times.

How did you like the original? Is it still running?

True Jahfin...I think. I never watched the Batman movies after Burton's since I was not impressed with them.

Like Ady said, I think the TV series was perfect for us as kids. At that time the only other thing I had compare to compare it to were the comic books themselves. It's sort of how I loved Kiss when I was 14. That shit is just right up your alley when you're a teenager, same for Batman (the TV show) when I was a kid.

Yes, the American version was on TV for two seasons. I was so aggravated when the murder was not solved at the end of the first season. As with many things, since I started down the path, I had to stick with it. It was just OK, it dragged on at times.

How did you like the original? Is it still running?

Everything was solved at the end of the first season, but it lasted for twenty episodes. It does drag a bit, but for the most part, I loved it. I've actually started watching it again as it's on LoveFilm Instant which I subscribe to.

There was a second season in 2009 which ran for ten episodes. I enjoyed it, but not quite as much as the 1st. Still edge of your seat viewing though.

I read the other day that a 3rd and final series will air in Denmark in September.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IZUWkghFeQ

Edited by Ady

>For the Batman historians out there how come Robin has never been a part of the newer movies aside from the Shumacher ones mentioned above?<

Comic book history: http://www.comicvine.../robin/29-1687/

Thanks. Sounds like he almost made the cut in the first couple of Burton movies and actually is kind of in The Dark Knight Rises, it's just not Robin as we know him.

I've seen 'Spoorloos', absolutely fantastic! I saw the end of the remake when it was on TV once.

I know what you mean about the atmosphere in certain European movies. Have you seen the Danish TV series, The Killing aka Forbrydelsen?

The end of the American remake of "The Vanishing" is a travesty. It was one of the few times I felt so betrayed and angered by a film that I wanted to do violence upon the filmmaker...who, ironically in this case, was the same director who made the original: George Sluizer.

As for "The Killing", I have not seen it, neither the Danish original nor the American version.

Thanks. Sounds like he almost made the cut in the first couple of Burton movies and actually is kind of in The Dark Knight Rises, it's just not Robin as we know him.

Whoa there...you should issue "Spoiler Alert" warnings before giving away certain plot elements. There's probably a few people who still haven't seen TDKR yet.

The American Cinematheque is having a tribute to the late Ernest Borgnine, who passed away recently. Last night would have been the night we had Ernie around to sign his book "Ernie: The Autobiography" and talk about the two films scheduled: "Emperor of the North Pole" and "The Vikings".

Alas, he passed away. But though we had to scrap the book signing plans, the American Cinematheque expanded the tribute to 4 days of Borgnine films; Thursday thru Sunday. So I went to last night's double-bill as originally scheduled:

1. 1973's "Emperor of the North Pole" starring Borgnine, Lee Marvin and Keith Carradine...and the spectacular trains and scenery of Oregon.

2. 1958's "The Vikings" with the Borg, Kirk Douglas, Tony Curtis and Janet Leigh as the Princess of Wales they lust for.

Tonight is an even more He-Man double-feature at the Cinematheque: "The Dirty Dozen" and "The Wild Bunch"!!!

Edited by Strider

Whoa there...you should issue "Spoiler Alert" warnings before giving away certain plot elements. There's probably a few people who still haven't seen TDKR yet.

I honestly didn't get the impression that it was something that required a spoiler alert. In fact, it didn't cross my mind at all. I haven't seen the movie but from reading that article it sounded like something that not everyone would exactly pick up on anyway. Apologies if I've spoiled the movie for anyone.

I honestly didn't get the impression that it was something that required a spoiler alert. In fact, it didn't cross my mind at all. I haven't seen the movie but from reading that article it sounded like something that not everyone would exactly pick up on anyway. Apologies if I've spoiled the movie for anyone.

The movie has been out for a month now so any spoilers probably have been leaked onto the internet by now. That's why I made a point of seeing it within a few days of release so I could avoid spoilers. If anyone hasn't seen it by now either has very little interest in the movie or lives under a rock.

Edited by MissMelanie

^^^

Ok, back on topic...

Let's talk about "Killer Joe"!!!

Believe the buzz...this is William Friedkin's return to form and a perception-changing performance by Matthew McConaughey. For those who may have forgotten, William Friedkin is the director responsible for such 1970-80s classics as "The French Connection", "The Excorcist", "Sorcerer", "Cruising", and "To Live and Die in LA".

Went to see it with friends last Monday...saw a matinee showing, as there was a Grandaddy concert to go to that night.

As the tag-line to one of the film's posters says, it's "A Totally Twisted Deep-Fried Texas Redneck Trailer Park Murder Story". It is NC-17 and it earns that rating. Not because of any explicit sex or even violence...there isn't anything here that people probably haven't already seen in "Saw" or plenty other R-rated movies.

What is hard-core is the dark psychology and the violence and humiliation visited upon the characters, particularly Gina Gershon. You will never ever look at Kentucky Fried Chicken the same way after this movie.

You won't look at Matthew McConaughey the same way, either. For years, after his breakout in "Dazed and Confused", he seemed content to just skate by on his looks and Texas-cum-stoner-charm. Bad movie after bad movie followed in mind-numbing succession, culminating in the apocalyptic awfulness of "Surfer, Dude".

But after a couple interesting appearances in small films like "Bernie" and "Magic Mike", he finally has a lead role that reminds you of what he can do with the right material. He hasn't been this good and this riveting since "Lone Star".

His seduction of Juno Temple and breakdown of Gina Gershon are astounding scenes to watch...all the while turning your stomach yet daring you to look away.

Emile Hirsch(who spends most of the movie getting his whiny ass kicked) and Thomas Haden Church are also very good in this film. And what a killer soundtrack, ending with a great Clarence Carter song.

But make no mistake..."Killer Joe" is NOT for the sensitive. If you don't like violence, foul language, twisted sexuality, STAY AWAY from this movie, for I guarantee you will be offended, if not outright nauseated by "Killer Joe".

If you can handle the darkside and are strong enough for stern subject matter, then "Killer Joe" will be something the adventurous among you may find worth your while.

Just plan on eating something other than fried chicken afterwards.

Edited by Strider

I've already got Killer Joe on my LoveFilm list for when it comes out on DVD. I never realised it was directed by William Friedkin. The Exorcist and The French Connection are two big favourites of mine.

Had a chance to see Control last night which was recommended by Jahfin a few weeks ago. As was mentioned, it is not an uplifting movie, but there were some strong performances. I've thought about it a few times since watching, it was good. So thanks.

Had a chance to see Control last night which was recommended by Jahfin a few weeks ago. As was mentioned, it is not an uplifting movie, but there were some strong performances. I've thought about it a few times since watching, it was good. So thanks.

Yeah takes a couple of watches. Ian Curtis is from the same town as I went to school. No wonder he topped himself