I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

Can't believe no-one else has seen this yet!

'Searching' is right. It's actually hard to find here...will keep trying...

Not a movie exactly, but I've been watching a PBS series on the history of New York. Really good. Wonderful early photography and film footage - 'actualities' as they were called. Also hoping that 'Copper' on Show Case will be great.

^^^

Kiwi, nothing is showing up.

220px-2016_obamas_america.jpg

This is an embarrassment. Strictly for the tin-foil hat crowd. It's more about Dinesh D'Souza and his conspiracy obsessions than about the real Barack Obama. In fact, it plays more like an infomercial for his poppy-cock book.

Just another egomaniacal, slip-shod character assassination. Whether they come from the left or right, they should be ignored.

Edited by Strider

This is an embarrassment. Strictly for the tin-foil hat crowd. It's more about Dinesh D'Souza and his conspiracy obsessions than about the real Barack Obama. In fact, it plays more like an infomercial for his poppy-cock book.

Just another egomaniacal, slip-shod character assassination. Whether they come from the left or right, they should be ignored.

In your opinion.

Watched 'A Face In The Crowd' (1957) with Andy Griffith.

Even though it's almost 60 years old the film is just as contemporary today as it shows how power corrupts.

Directed by Elia Kazan and music by Bud Schulberg.

OK, not sure if I'll be ridiculed for enjoying such a mainstream film, but it doesn't matter.

Just saw this last night (unfortunately not in 3D), and it was kickass.

I like both of the 2 previous versions, but this is by far the best of the 3.

Josh Brolin absolutely NAILS IT as a young Agent K (Tommy Lee Jones), and they do a fantastic job re-creating 1969.

Most of all, Boris the Animal is a truly intense and legitimate badass.

I can't imagine anyone who liked either or both of the previous movies not absolutely loving this one.

Quite a few pretty serious mind-fucks throughout, and they keep you on your toes.

They go for some sappy stuff, but I can forgive it in light of the overall awesomeness of the movie.

Highly recommended for a fun escape.

And a decent buzz when seeing it will really pay off!

/just sayin'

men-in-black-3-poster.jpg

OK, not sure if I'll be ridiculed for enjoying such a mainstream film, but it doesn't matter.

Josh Brolin absolutely NAILS IT as a young Agent K (Tommy Lee Jones), and they do a fantastic job re-creating 1969.

Most of all, Boris the Animal is a truly intense and legitimate badass.

I can't imagine anyone who liked either or both of the previous movies not absolutely loving this one.

Quite a few pretty serious mind-fucks throughout, and they keep you on your toes.

They go for some sappy stuff, but I can forgive it in light of the overall awesomeness of the movie.

Highly recommended for a fun escape.

And a decent buzz when seeing it will really pay off!

/just sayin'

men-in-black-3-poster.jpg

I saw Men In Black 3 earlier this summer myself. It's been a long time since I last saw the other two movies in the series so I'm not sure how the new one compares but as a blockbuster, popcorn type movie I was definitely entertained but not exactly blown away by it.

• 3 weeks later...

Watched this over the weekend.

As a huge fan of The Gong Show, I was very interested in seeing this movie.

Sam Rockwell, who I knew mostly from his role in The Green Mile, does a pretty good job playing Chuck Barris.

Lots of big names, and overall fairly entertaining.

I would have enjoyed more Gong Show scenes.

0e_d_13186_0_ConfessionsOfADangerousMind.jpg

The Master

Opens this weekend and it looks very good. It stars Joaquin Phoenix and Phillip Seymour Hofmann.

This will be J Phoneix's return to the movies after starring in that awful mockumentay. He is one of my favorite actors.

That does look like a good one. Maybe something to fill some time this weekend.

Just watched 'Eraserhead' after seeing it when it first came out. The photography is beautiful but it's a film that can never be explained, even by David Lynch. :lol:

Also watched 'No Way Out' (1950) with Sidney Poitier and Richard Widmark. Pretty graphic language for that time.

Watched 'A Face In The Crowd' (1957) with Andy Griffith.

Even though it's almost 60 years old the film is just as contemporary today as it shows how power corrupts.

Directed by Elia Kazan and music by Bud Schulberg.

A great movie all around, no doubt about it...but the music is by the folk singer Tom Glazer. Budd Schulberg("What Makes Sammy Run?", "On the Waterfront") wrote the screenplay.

Why would anyone ridicule you for that? It's not like you went to see "Norbit" or "Twilight: Breaking Dawn", hehe. ;)

I enjoy myself at plenty of mainstream movies...Dark Knight Rises, ParaNorman, and one I just saw a couple weeks ago, "Lawless".

I could have used more Gary Oldman and less Shia Labouf, but Tom Hardy and Guy Pearce are riveting! Guy Pearce seems to have gotten the inspiration for the look of his character from Bob Geldof's Pink in "The Wall" movie. It's unnerving, which is the point of his character.

If you don't know, "Lawless" is about these bootlegging brothers in Franklin County, Virginia during the 1920s. It's adapted by Nick Cave from the book "The Wettest County in the World". Nick also handles the music along with Warren Ellis.

Along with the bootlegging and gangster/FBI action, there are two romances...Tom Hardy and Jessica Chastain is the only one worth the screen time. The Shia Labouf/Mia Wasikowska one is just silly and embarrassing to watch.

Fortunately, it's never too long before Guy Pearce shows up again and kicks the movie back to life. I hope he gets a Best Supporting Actor nod.

Anyway, if you like historical action films like "Bonnie & Clyde", "The Sting", "The Untouchables", put "Lawless" on your list...and be AMAZED by how much Tom Hardy can express with just a grunt.

A great movie all around, no doubt about it...but the music is by the folk singer Tom Glazer. Budd Schulberg("What Makes Sammy Run?", "On the Waterfront") wrote the screenplay.

Schulberg wrote the lyrics to 'Old Fashioned Marriage', 'Free Man In The Morning', 'Vitajex Jingle', 'Just Plain Folks', & 'Mama Guitar'

Would that be considered part of the music?

Si! :^)

I'm surprised people actually really liked "The Hunger Games" (I thought it was vapid and shallow) but to each his own. This is a little OT as it's yet to come out, but so many of Pacino's recent movies have been so abysmal (except for the HBO productions) that when one actually looks good, it's a nice surprise:

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/stand-up-guys/trailers/stand-up-guys-theatrical-trailer-30585452.html