I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

That's happened to me about 3 times in the past, and many times a disc has been unplayable due to scratches.

The downside to online rental - people who have no respect for property that isn't theirs and no consideration for the next person who will be renting the disc!

I will try to order it again. They are like rented cars ey? Just beat the crap out of it, it ain't mine! I always handle the dvd/cd's by the edge.

I'm just glad Netflix didn't charge ME for it.

We watched 'Elephant Sighs' last night.

Edited by redrum

^^^

What happened to the scary movies?

I know, right?! I was all set last night, then my Mom called. 2 hours later, we both settled on 'The Abyss', which she really didn't enjoy.

We still have tomorrow. I guess 'Psycho' is part of her class, though.

Reykjavik-Rotterdam (2008)

Directed by Òscar Jònasson.

This Icelandic movie is about Chistopher, an ex-convict who’s hired by his close friend and associate, Steingrimur, to do a last smuggling operation between Holland and Iceland.

Chistopher is promised that upon completion of the job he’d be relieved of his financial difficulties. Little does he imagine that, in reality, Steingrimur is concocting a vicious plan to betray and get him imprisoned, while at the same time keeping his wife Iris and two kids.

The movie tries to be a comedy, a drama and a thriller at the same time. The scenes in Rotterdam succeed in being comedic and in providing dark humour, but the scenes in Iceland have a larger degree of succes as a thriller.

Overall, the case could be made that the film is a much better thriller than it is a comedy. At some point there’s the impression that two different movies are occurring,

The first movie chronicles the slow mutation of Steingrimur, from a Samaritan to a devil. The poor Iris has not only to contain Steingrimur´s advances, but she also has to suffer the intimidation of three violent thugs who have a stake in the operation.

The second plot revolves around Christopher’s doings aboard a cargo ship and in Holland, which provide a temporary comedy relief, but overall they tend to drag down the pace and the tension created by events in Reykjavik.

The film features actor Ingvar Eggert who does an excellent job portraying the evil Steingrimur. Baltasar Kormakur (who has a slight ressemblance to Colin Farrell) plays Christopher.

Hotel Transylvania!

Hey, I needed something light on the head. And I needed to laugh, which I did. I took my sister, her kids, my daughter and my brothers son. Ages 9 to forty something. We all laughed. Out loud too.

This had child humor as well as adult humor. Not X rated, just humor that an adult is likely to understand.

I watched Drive last night. I had heard, read some comments that it was a really violent movie (which didn't surprise me since I'm familiar with the work of the director).

Overall it was a good movie, although people should be warned that there are a couple of really disturbing scenes full of blood. What I enjoyed was the pace of the film: the opening scene, for instance, is full of adrenaline, with the hero running away from the police at full speed.

I'm a fan of Nicolas Winding Refn. In fact, I have managed to acquire all of his films (the ones that are available with English subtitles) since Pusher. The only disappointment so far has been "Bronson (2008)", which honestly I found silly, but at least the character played by Tom Hardy exhibited a few traits that would later reappear in Batman's Bane.

"Drive" is actually very reminiscent of "Pusher". I think Winding Refn employs many of the camera techniques and story-telling methods that he used in his 90s trilogy.

Bernie, in the scene where he washes a bloody knife, reminded me of Milo doing the same in Pusher III. Gosling´s character reminded me a lot of Kim Bodnia's: even though both are criminals, Winding Refn manages to tell the story in a way that the audience develops sympathy towards the hero/criminal by recounting events as if they were part of a grand conspiracy against the hero.

These criminals slowly become heroes as the audience realises that they're just little fish within a very long and vicious food chain where others (Milo in Pusher, Nino in Drive) are bigger fish and worst criminals than them.

The scenes where Gosling drives also reminded me of Milo driving the highways of Copenhague, late at night while slowly and literally descending into Dante's inferno.

Watched Drive over the weekend based on the conversation here.

Really liked it.

Also watched Rain Man for the first time - one of those movies I simply never got around to seeing.

I enjoyed it, and it answered a few questions I had regarding the scenes used in The Hangover - the music, too.

For those who know the Blackjack scene in The Hangover, they pay homage to not only Rain Man but also 21, a very good and underrrated movie.

Currently watching the japanese version of 'King Kong vs. Godzilla'. Still cheesy, but a hell of a lot better than those stupid "UN Reporter Eric Carter" bullshit scenes in the US Version.

Edited by Sue Dounim

I saw "The Master" over the weekend. Not really as good as I expected (my bias was hoping Scientology would get nailed, but I don't know the cult's ins and outs - no pun intended - so I'm not sure what digs against it there were beyond the obvious ones: "He's making it all up as he goes along"), but the acting was incredible.

Apparently, Anderson gave a private screening of it to Cruise. I'd love to know what he thought of it...

Just picked up one from the library called 'Muffin Man'

Looks kinda crazy. :^)

Currently watching Beavis & Butthead episodes from Netflix. 'Mr. Anderson's Balls' was the first one. :lol:

'These things aren't getting any cheaper ya' know!'

Just saw the trailer for 'Seven Psychopaths'..

Can't wait to see it...I am the proud owner of a Shih Tzu...is that doggie in the trailer the cutest?!!

I saw "The Master" over the weekend. Not really as good as I expected (my bias was hoping Scientology would get nailed, but I don't know the cult's ins and outs - no pun intended - so I'm not sure what digs against it there were beyond the obvious ones: "He's making it all up as he goes along"), but the acting was incredible.

Apparently, Anderson gave a private screening of it to Cruise. I'd love to know what he thought of it...

Both of these movies are on my "to-do" list.

The-skin-i-live-in.jpg

Anyone see this one ? Whoa....weird flick !! Not really scary....just creepy as all hell. Dude's daughter gets raped so he gives the perp a vaginaplasty. If you like strange movies, this is the one for you.

Edited by Bong-Man

The-skin-i-live-in.jpg

Anyone see this one ? Whoa....weird flick !! Not really scary....just creepy as all hell. Dude's daughter gets raped so he gives the perp a vaginaplasty. If you like strange movies, this is the one for you.

Careful...don't give away spoilers, Bong-Man! Plus, it's a bit more twisted than a simple vaginaplasty. Very twisted.

But yes, I saw this two years ago when it came out...so if you go back two years on this thread, you might find my post about it. I'm a dedicated Pedro Almadovar fan, so I was inclined to like "The Skin I Live In" anyway...but it is definitely more creepy than his usual films. Less overt humour...more psychologically disturbing.

For those looking for something different, I recommend "The Skin I Live In"...as well as any of Almadovar's other great films: "Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown", "All About My Mother", "Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!", "Talk to Me", "Law of Desire", and "Volver".

Edited by Strider

I've seen "The Skin I Live In". I liked it, but it's definitely not for everyone! I possibly added it to my rental queue after reading your post about it, Strider.

My most recently seen...

15491-large.jpg

42836-large.jpg

163063-large.jpg

I really did like "Prometheus", I have to say.

Careful...don't give away spoilers, Bong-Man! Plus, it's a bit more twisted than a simple vaginaplasty. Very twisted.

"simple vaginaplasty" sounds like an oxymoron. I don't think I really want to know what this entails. No googling this one.

41PZ3w3B41L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I always think of Eddie Marsan as "Mr. Pancks", in one of those Dickens PBS mini series because that was the first time I'd seen him. He definitely has an usual look. I've seen him in a few other things. Good actor.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I always think of Eddie Marsan as "Mr. Pancks", in one of those Dickens PBS mini series because that was the first time I'd seen him. He definitely has an usual look. I've seen him in a few other things. Good actor.

Thanks for the recommendation.

That's alright. :) The first time I remember seeing him was in an episode of "Game On". Yeah, he's good, very intense in some roles.

Reykjavik-Rotterdam (2008)

Directed by Òscar Jònasson.

This Icelandic movie is about Chistopher, an ex-convict who’s hired by his close friend and associate, Steingrimur, to do a last smuggling operation between Holland and Iceland.

Hopefully, it will be available in the U.S. - a few Icelandic films have made it over, but not many. Most seem to star a handsome actor named Hilmir Snaer Gudnason. More Hilmir films please!!