I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

Saw Argo tonight. Loved it! Even though I knew how it turned out, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Great perfomance by Alan Arkin, and I really enjoyed John Goodman. And I always love seeing Victor Garber in anything.

Ben Afleck got hosed by the Academy.

They used When the Levee Breaks during one of the scenes.

At last! Thank you, Esther...I was beginning to think I was the only one here who liked "Argo", or even saw it. For an interesting contrast and comparison, you should next see "Zero Dawn Thirty", which is about the search for Osama bin Laden.

In my opinion, both Ben Affleck and Kathryn Bigelow got hosed by the Academy...each of them should have been nominated for Best Director instead of the Les Miserables guy.

I have just spent the last two nights being stimulated by the work of the late Stan Brakhage, one of the early practitioners and masters of abstract and experimental film, including the repurposing of film and 'found footage'. Sunday was the almost 5-hour long "The Art of Vision"(I missed the second half of the Ravens-Patriot game because it started at 5pm), and Monday night was a few hours more.

Too many films to list...here's the program notes:

http://www.redcat.org/event/stan-brakhage

I've been working on something related to Stan Brakhage, so this was something I HAD to see, football be damned(I could tivo the game anyway and watch the second half later that night)...it was perfect timing. I came out of both nights with my synapses firing and inspired.

Saw Flight with Denzell Washington yesterday with my wife at the $1.99 theater.

As always, great story and great performance.

Denzell rarely disappoints.

Powerful message regarding substance abuse and alcoholism.

John Goodman brings unexpected humor to an otherwise serious story.

Good stuff.

FLIGHT%20MOVIE%20POSTER.jpg

conair.jpgFormer U.S. Army Ranger Cameron Poe is sentenced to a maximum-security federal penitentiary for using excessive force and killing a drunk man who had been attempting to assault his pregnant wife, Tricia. Eight years later, Poe is paroled on good behavior, and eager to see his daughter Casey whom he has never met. Poe is arranged to be flown back home to Alabama on the C-123 Jailbird where he will be released on landing; several other prisoners, including his diabetic cellmate and friend Mike "Baby-O" O'Dell and criminal mastermind Cyrus "The Virus" Grissom, as well as Grissom's right-hand man, Nathan Jones, are also being transported to a new Supermax prison. DEA agent Duncan Malloy wishes to bring aboard one of his agents, Willie Sims, as a prisoner to coax more information out of drug lord Francisco Cindino before he is incarcerated. Vince Larkin, the U.S. Marshal overseeing the transfer, agrees to it, but is unaware that Malloy has armed Sims with a gun

Lots of good ones ZEPFAN17. Haven't seen some of those in a while. What I have seen lately is "Braveheart", it's been on AMC quite a bit this week. Although I've seen it many times, I still find myself drawn to it.

raging-bull.jpgOne of the best boxers of all time.. Jake La Motta memoir Raging Bull: My Story. It stars Robert De Niro as Jake La Motta LaMotta, a middleweight boxer whose sadomasochistic rage, sexual jealousy, and animalistic appetite exceeded the boundaries of the prizefight ring, and destroyed his relationship with his wife and family.

Great movie. One of the best..and an All-Time Top 10 Favorite of mine. Never gets old.

We (wife and I ) went and saw The Hobbit on Saturday afternoon. Being a huge fan of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, I was going in with excitement.

After watching, I didn't feel the same energy and enthusiasm from this film as the others. It was good, but not Great. I can go without seeing it again.

We (wife and I ) went and saw The Hobbit on Saturday afternoon. Being a huge fan of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, I was going in with excitement.

After watching, I didn't feel the same energy and enthusiasm from this film as the others. It was good, but not Great. I can go without seeing it again.

My daughter is into all that stuff. And the Harry Potter stuff too. I just cant get into fantasy. As far as the post below, Goodfellas is not anything new. I think De Niro and Pacino have some new work out? Not sure if its good?

^^^

ZEPFAN17, are you actually watching these movies now, or just posting random films from the past that you like?

I had the same feeling about "The Hobbit", RH. I read the book as a kid and because I loved it, that led me into "The Lord of the Rings". After the Ralph Bakshi disaster in the 70s, I pretty much resigned myself into thinking that the Tolkien books were unfilmable.

Lo and behold, the Peter Jackson LOTR trilogy wowed and stunned me by how good it was. Needless to say, I was looking forward to "The Hobbit" when news first was reported...especially as Guillermo del Toro("Chronos", "Pan's Labyrinth") was to be the director.

MGM's financial woes contributed to many delays and del Toro was out and Peter Jackson in the director's chair again.

But when I saw it last month or whenever opening day was, at the end I didn't feel like I did at the end of "Fellowship of the Ring", the first part of LOTR. It was okay, but with the exception of the Riddle scene between Bilbo and Gollum, nothing wowed me. I'm so bored now with CGI orcs and elves.

One problem is that while LOTR is three separate books, "The Hobbit" is one, so splitting the book into THREE separate movies smacks of overkill, and deprives the first film of having an ending or story arch. It just ends because that's the part of the story they happen to be when the time is up.

I also think it would have been better to make "The Hobbit" first, then LOTR. As "The Hobbit" was written more for children and serves as a preamble to the deeper and darker LOTR, there's a sense of "we've been here before" redundancy to "The Hobbit".

One question for you RH: Did you watch the regular version or the 48fps 3d version? I hate 3d and I heard that the high frame rate made the movie look like video...one friend said it looked like all those old British shows PBS used to air on Masterpiece Theatre.

So I saw it in the regular 2d version.

Andy Serkis as Gollum was by far the best thing about "The Hobbit", followed by Ian McKellan's wry and amusing Gandalf the Grey.

Edited by Strider

^^^

ZEPFAN17, are you actually watching these movies now, or just posting random films from the past that you like?

I had the same feeling about "The Hobbit", RH. I read the book as a kid and because I loved it, that led me into "The Lord of the Rings". After the Ralph Bakshi disaster in the 70s, I pretty much resigned myself into thinking that the Tolkien books were unfilmable.

Lo and behold, the Peter Jackson LOTR trilogy wowed and stunned me by how good it was. Needless to say, I was looking forward to "The Hobbit" when news first was reported...especially as Guillermo del Toro("Chronos", "Pan's Labyrinth") was to be the director.

MGM's financial woes contributed to many delays and del Toro was out and Peter Jackson in the director's chair again.

But when I saw it last month or whenever opening day was, at the end I didn't feel like I did at the end of "Fellowship of the Ring", the first part of LOTR. It was okay, but with the exception of the Riddle scene between Bilbo and Gollum, nothing wowed me. I'm so bored now with CGI orcs and elves.

One problem is that while LOTR is three separate books, "The Hobbit" is one, so splitting the book into THREE separate movies smacks of overkill, and deprives the first film of having an ending or story arch. It just ends because that's the part of the story they happen to be when the time is up.

I also think it would have been better to make "The Hobbit" first, then LOTR. As "The Hobbit" was written more for children and serves as a preamble to the deeper and darker LOTR, there's a sense of "we've been here before" redundancy to "The Hobbit".

One question for you RH: Did you watch the regular version or the 48fps 3d version? I hate 3d and I heard that the high frame rate made the movie look like video...one friend said it looked like all those old British shows PBS used to air on Masterpiece Theatre.

Andy Serkis as Gollum was by far the best thing about "The Hobbit", followed by Ian McKellan's wry and amusing Gandalf the Grey.

just posting blockbuster movies from years back yes I have already seen them.. Edited by ZEPFAN17

^^^

ZEPFAN17, are you actually watching these movies now, or just posting random films from the past that you like?Just posting blockbusters I have already seen..

Just posting blockbusters I have already seen over the years. Edited by ZEPFAN17

^^^

I watched the regular version Sean. I don't get into 3D movies. Hell, the last time I wore 3D glasses, was for a kiddy movie we took my friends little girl to see, called "How to train your Dragon"...(cute little cartoon) and before that it was " Creature from the Black Lagoon" on TV at home. (when Morgus the Magnificent had creature features) I get a bad headache after 10 min of wearing them. My eyes get screwy.....

Anyway, I enjoyed reading you comment and I also feel that Gollum and Gandalf were the stand-out characters ....Arguably the same could be said for the Trilogy as well, but then again, eveyone was great. I think The Hobbit had it's moments for sure, but it sort of dragged in spots and the dramatic scenes seemed to last the longest. How about the beginning when all the Dwarfs raided his house of food and un-welcomed company? It felt like 30 min. of just that. The Dragon Smaug was mentioned and briefly shown in the beginning sequence of the film and not seen again untill the "eye" at the end- revealing that there will be at least one more and most likely two. (movies)