I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

We watched 'The King Of Comedy' with Robert DeNiro and Jerry Lewis last night. Hadn't seen it since the 80's and it's pretty hilarious, especially where they can't remember DeNiro's name 'Pupkin'. They call him 'Pipkin', Pufkin' and 'Pumpkin'. :lol:

That's one that I want to see again, too! I haven't seen it since the 90's and recently saw "Mean Streets" and "Goodfellas" again for the first time since then.

Hey TypeO, this too is one of my all time favorite movies and I agree, Brad Pitt is fantastic!

The other character I got a kick out of was Brick Top (Played by Alan Ford). He has that soliloquy about getting rid of bodies by using pigs..."Beware of the man who owns pigs".......This movie came out in 2000 and then a couple of years later we had the Robert Pickton (pig farmer) serial murder case in the Vancouver BC area. Creepy.

Alan Ford is amazing! Check him out here, funny stuff!

Edited by Ady

Saw this at the theater yesterday.

A little more mainstream than I imagined, but very good.

A lot of big names in the cast.

Somewhat violent, but it's not especially gratuitous.

Overall, I liked it.

PHce0gmG3sxCfc_1_m.jpg

This is one of those movies that slipped through the cracks on me.

Meaning to see it, but didn't get a chance until last night.

Well worth the wait.

Disturbingly realistic.

The-Hurt-Locker-339145-103.jpg

I saw some real life soldiers say the guy was a glory hound and it's not realistic.

• 2 weeks later...

I love watching an "old" movie and noticing an actor/actress who, at the time, was not well known or as experienced, but by now has become a legitimate talent/star.

Last night I was re-watching Donnie Brasco (1997), and noticed Paul Giamatti in a very small role as an FBI surveillance agent. Twp pretty good scenes with Johnny Depp. I would gather in 1997 we were all talking about Depp, Pacino and possibly Madsen with regards to that film.

Movies I've seen on DVD recently, haven't been to a theater since seeing "Argo" a few weeks back. Here they are in (my personal) first to last:

"Searching for Sugarman" - very good documentary. There's a rather lengthy discussion about it in the "Other Bands/Music" section in this forum.

"A Royal Affair" - Not really anything I haven't seen before. But I'll watch just about any period movie with excellent acting, scenery and costuming.

"Catfish" - Documentary? Scripted? Nevertheless, it is entertaining, and makes one think twice about the people you meet online. As the saying goes, truth can be stranger than fiction (Manti Te'o).

I love watching an "old" movie and noticing an actor/actress who, at the time, was not well known or as experienced, but by now has become a legitimate talent/star.

Last night I was re-watching Donnie Brasco (1997), and noticed Paul Giamatti in a very small role as an FBI surveillance agent. Twp pretty good scenes with Johnny Depp. I would gather in 1997 we were all talking about Depp, Pacino and possibly Madsen with regards to that film.

Loved 'Donnie Brasco'.

I just watched Sidney Poitier's first movie (1950) called 'No Way Out' with Richard Widmark as a total racist. The movie was way ahead of its time.

Loved 'Donnie Brasco'.

I just watched Sidney Poitier's first movie (1950) called 'No Way Out' with Richard Widmark as a total racist. The movie was way ahead of its time.

Hey Redrum, is Richard Widmark a sherriff in that one?....I seem to remember it but maybe i am getting him confused with Caroll O'Connor in another movie....regardless, i will check it out, cheers...

It's called "American Hustle" starring Robert DeNiro, Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, and Christian Bale has wrapped up its Worcester, MA filming.

I think it's scheduled for release by Christmas.

wow, another movie with Cooper and DeNiro! Those guys must really like working with each other, which is great!....Hey Planted did you ever see the clip of that show "Inside the Actors Studio", where Bradley Cooper is a student and gets to ask DeNiro (guest actor) a question? Pretty neat to go back in time and see this student ask a legend a question and now he's been in multiple movies with him....cheers Fishy.... Maybe I'll go find it and post if for fun...

2:10 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6EuMKMrIi0

Edited by fishhead

Hey Redrum, is Richard Widmark a sherriff in that one?....I seem to remember it but maybe i am getting him confused with Caroll O'Connor in another movie....regardless, i will check it out, cheers...

No, you're thinking of 'In The Heat Of The Night' with Rod Steiger as the sheriff. Widmark was a total racist in 'No Way Out'.

I also liked Poitier and Widmark in 'The Bedford Incident'. Great cold war movie.

No, you're thinking of 'In The Heat Of The Night' with Rod Steiger as the sheriff. Widmark was a total racist in 'No Way Out'.

I also liked Poitier and Widmark in 'The Bedford Incident'. Great cold war movie.

Right!...ok, i will look for "No Way Out" with Widmark and also "The Bedford Incident". I don;t think I have seen either of these...cheers Fishy

wow, another movie with Cooper and DeNiro! Those guys must really like working with each other, which is great!....Hey Planted did you ever see the clip of that show "Inside the Actors Studio", where Bradley Cooper is a student and gets to ask DeNiro (guest actor) a question? Pretty neat to go back in time and see this student ask a legend a question and now he's been in multiple movies with him....cheers Fishy.... Maybe I'll go find it and post if for fun...2:10 markhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6EuMKMrIi0

Thanks fishy!

What a treasure! It was great fun standing around at a filming. Something not commonly occurring in Worcester, I can tell you that.

The entire downtown section was used for filming also. Every sign taken down and changed for the movie. Way cool. Union Station was used but Im not sure for how much of the film. I can't wait for its release!

Thanks for knowing about the interview and for sharing!

Thanks fishy!

What a treasure! It was great fun standing around at a filming. Something not commonly occurring in Worcester, I can tell you that.

The entire downtown section was used for filming also. Every sign taken down and changed for the movie. Way cool. Union Station was used but Im not sure for how much of the film. I can't wait for its release!

Thanks for knowing about the interview and for sharing!

no problemo...I look forward to seeing the movie. These guys are good together....cheers....P.S-here is also a clip on youtube of a young Bradley Cooper/student asking Sean Penn a question from the audience...see ya

Right!...ok, i will look for "No Way Out" with Widmark and also "The Bedford Incident". I don;t think I have seen either of these...cheers Fishy

Both excellent movies. Eric Portman is the German ex-U-Boat captain in 'The Bedford Incident'. He played the head Nazi in the movie I mentioned above '49th Parallel'.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the trailer for this a while back at some other movie, so when I saw it at Redbox last night, I gave it a shot.

Typical, yet still very funny vehicle for Vince Vaughn, Ben Stiller and Jonah Hill to do what they do.

Something I noticed about the filming/direction -

there seems to be a whole lot of ad-lib to a lot of the scenes, just a general direction to what direction they're going and then sit back and film as they feed on each other.

Many of the scenes had an out-takes reel feel to them, various responses piled one after another, and it gets cherry-picked for the best lines/interactions in editing.

Not that that was a bad thing - it was very funny.

Just something I noticed, how their seemed to not be a very strict script.

Overall, well worth a watch (see what I did there?) for some good laughs.

the-watch-poster-405x600.jpg