I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

Rented Life of Pi from Redbox.

It was beautifully filmed, and I was reminded of Slumdog Millionaire the way the story moved between the present and the past.

Not absolutely sure I "got it" at the end, but overall, it was an enjoyable movie.

life-pi-poster.jpg

I just watched Sidney Poitier's first movie (1950) called 'No Way Out' with Richard Widmark as a total racist. The movie was way ahead of its time.

"No Way Out" was one of the films shown at this year's Noir City Festival at the American Cinematheque back in April. Gorgeous print and a great movie with both Widmark and Poitier excellent in their roles. Interesting to know that at first Richard Widmark turned down the role...he was tired of playing "bad guys". Director Joseph Mankiewicz convinced him to do it, and Widmark decided if he was going to play a heavy one last time, then he was going to go out blazing and really play it mean.

Definitely one to watch.

"No Way Out" was one of the films shown at this year's Noir City Festival at the American Cinematheque back in April. Gorgeous print and a great movie with both Widmark and Poitier excellent in their roles. Interesting to know that at first Richard Widmark turned down the role...he was tired of playing "bad guys". Director Joseph Mankiewicz convinced him to do it, and Widmark decided if he was going to play a heavy one last time, then he was going to go out blazing and really play it mean.

Definitely one to watch.

Agreed. Widmark's role in 'Kiss Of Death' was amazing. Him and Poitier were also great in 'The Bedford Incident'

I saw some real life soldiers say the guy was a glory hound and it's not realistic.

While the movie as a whole is intense, and realistic up to a certain point(no movie can ever truly depict war realistically), yes, Jeremy Renner's character is way out of line. A guy like that would not last long with his unit; he takes too many risks that put his men in danger.

In the military, you have to sublimate your ego and individuality for the good of the squad. Yes, there are times when you need to show initiative. But not at the expense of your fellow soldiers. Renner's character is way over the top in his gung-ho cowboy antics. Guy Pearce's character was much more in line with how those guys actually operate and the emotional stability they need to have to perform their job.

But all that said, "The Hurt Locker" is still a great film and had me on the edge of my seat.

Agreed. Widmark's role in 'Kiss Of Death' was amazing. Him and Poitier were also great in 'The Bedford Incident'

If you have a free night and want to see Richard Widmark at his scary, noir-ish best, rent or Netflix these three films:

220px-Kiss_of_death_poster1947.jpg

2006243490019807147rsba1.jpg

518GXBWB1KL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Say goodbye, Tommy Udo...

Udo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

While the movie as a whole is intense, and realistic up to a certain point(no movie can ever truly depict war realistically), yes, Jeremy Renner's character is way out of line. A guy like that would not last long with his unit; he takes too many risks that put his men in danger.

In the military, you have to sublimate your ego and individuality for the good of the squad. Yes, there are times when you need to show initiative. But not at the expense of your fellow soldiers. Renner's character is way over the top in his gung-ho cowboy antics. Guy Pearce's character was much more in line with how those guys actually operate and the emotional stability they need to have to perform their job.

But all that said, "The Hurt Locker" is still a great film and had me on the edge of my seat.

If you have a free night and want to see Richard Widmark at his scary, noir-ish best, rent or Netflix these three films:

220px-Kiss_of_death_poster1947.jpg

2006243490019807147rsba1.jpg

518GXBWB1KL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Say goodbye, Tommy Udo...

Udo.jpg

Yeah man, film noir just knocks me out. The scene in Kiss Of Death where Udo is looking through the curtain in the restaurant has to be one of the most menacing looks ever. They showed the wheelchair scene in 'Bad Boys' and all the little punks cheered when the old lady went down the stairs.

But I've got to say that I've watched some pretty awful films of late.......'Cold Souls' and 'This Is 40'. I must learn to never take seriously the rants of the film critics on the dvd box. Critics are idiots.

Also watched 'Django Unchained' and I think it totally sucked. I mean jeez Tarantino, not ONE decent white person in the movie? And an over intellectual bounty hunter?? Bounty hunters were also considered scum. The over the top shootouts were also ridiculous. I give it minus 4 stars and have no idea how it could have been considered for any Oscars. Oh wait, political correctness. :thumbdown:

By the way, I did love 'Ingluorius Basterds'.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone seen the new Superman movie? I would like to go see a movie today to beat the heat and I will be taking my 12 year old son. Any suggestions?

Yes.

I did the same Mel last week,beat the heat,not that it compares to TX heat,...

Man of Steel(new Superman movie) is a different take on the mythology.

Has anyone seen the new Superman movie? I would like to go see a movie today to beat the heat and I will be taking my 12 year old son. Any suggestions?

Sorry Melanie, I am way behind on my movie quota and haven't seen this yet. However, for what it's worth, my godson and his mom and a friend did see "Man of Steel" and liked it...even more than they liked the new "Star Trek" film.

Has anyone (US members probably, as you get new releases before the UK) seen The Internship with Vince Vaughan and Owen Wilson? If so, is it worth going to see?

I did see this movie...the last current film I've seen...and it was a whole lotta meh. What has happened to Vince Vaughn? Owen Wilson I've never cared for much, but I used to look forward to an appearance by Vince Vaughn in a movie. It just seems they're wasting their talents. I laughed or chuckled maybe twice through the entirety of "The Internship". Not worth plunking down your hard-earned dollars for. Wait for it to air on cable...which should be shortly.

Other recent/current movies I have seen:

"42" - Jackie Robinson bio-pic wasn't great but not the embarrassment the John Goodman "Babe Ruth" movie was. Harrison Ford was unrecognizable at first as Branch Rickey. He is great and the guy playing Jackie Robinson does a decent job. Lots of interesting actors pop up, including MAX GAIL!!! from the old "Barney Miller" TV show. The guy playing the racist Philadelphia Phillies manager is great, as is Christopher Meloni as Dodger manager Leo Durocher. It would have been better if Ron Shelton had been involved. For one thing, he wouldn't have allowed the cringe-inducing moments like when the film shows the crowd cheering a Jackie Robinson home run...and they're playing in PITTSBURGH!!! :blink: No way in hell Pirates fans are gonna be cheering a Dodger victory! I hate sloppy mistakes like this, especially in sports movies. There are other factual errors in "42" but at least its heart is in the right place. Oh well, "42" came out some months ago so it's probably already out of the theatres by now. Not worth $10 or $14 or whatever your local bijou charges, but if you see it on Showtime or HBO, it's worth a gander.

"Identity Thief" - Starring Jason Bateman(who seems to play the same guy in all his movies) and wild 'n' crazy lady du jour Melissa McCarthy(you most likely know her from "Bridesmaids"). Funny in spots but again, nothing I would recommend paying for.

"The Great Gatsby" - Let me state for the record that I liked Baz Luhrmann's earlier "Romeo + Juliet" and "Moulin Rouge", but "Gatsby" is just a mess. Anachronistic period details and costumes, horrible mish-mash of music, terrible performances by just about everyone...I was just beginning to warm up to Leonardo DiCaprio after his recent films and he lays an egg as Gatsby. Whether it was his fault or he was directed that way by Baz is hard to tell. Avoid at all costs. It gave me a new appreciation for the Robert Redford version from 1974. Or try renting the Alan Ladd version from the 1940s.

"Star Trek Into Darkness" - I wanted to like this more than I did, and when the movie focused on the personal interaction and relationships of the crew of the Enterprise I enjoyed the movie very much.

*SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT!*

But come on, dragging Khan out of mothballs as the villian once again?!? This is ridiculous...and I'm pretty sure they've totally fucked up the time continuum and thrown Star Trek history off course. This Star Trek could and should have been better. But it was as if JJ Abrams morphed into Joel Silver/Michael Bay.

But the good moments make it worth watching and if you're looking to beat the heat and get into an air-conditioned theatre, "Star Trek" isn't the worse thing out there. Like...

..."Oblivion"/"Earth" - Almost seem like the same movie at times. One stars Tom Cruise and the other Will Smith. Don't bother with either. There's better sci-fi films coming later this year...like Alfonso Cuaron's "Gravity".

"Hangover III" - Ugh. Stick a fork in it...it's dead. Everyone pretty much mails it in this time. The crazy Korean guy, Ken Jeong, who was great in small doses has now been given the majority of screen time. A little of him goes a long way but in H3, it's a case of diminishing returns. Rent it if you must, or catch it on cable, but woe to you if you spend money on it in a theatre. Your laugh-per-dollar ratio will not be worth it. Only if you theatre-hop and see it for free.

"Mud" - This is the only current movie I have seen that I can wholeheartedly recommend paying money to see in a theatre. Continuing his recent stellar work as seen in "Killer Joe" last year, Matthew McConoughey is having a career resurgence of late. He is fabulous as 'Mud'...he inhabits this character so comfortably and at ease. Like a worn pair of Levi's. The two kids are terrific, as is Sam Shepard. Like "Winter's Bone", it's a look at a people and way of life Hollywood often ignores or patronizes. A must-see. It's a small, independent film, so you may have to look hard to find it or it may not even be playing your town for a while. But it is worth the effort to track it down. And tell your friends...GO SEE "MUD"!

Strider,

Thanks for your response - much appreciated. :) This film is just opening in the UK this week. I like the fact that the US brings us comedies throughout the year, but I'll take your advice on this one.

I am not too keen on Owen Wilson either.

I did see this movie...the last current film I've seen...and it was a whole lotta meh. What has happened to Vince Vaughn? Owen Wilson I've never cared for much, but I used to look forward to an appearance by Vince Vaughn in a movie. It just seems they're wasting their talents. I laughed or chuckled maybe twice through the entirety of "The Internship". Not worth plunking down your hard-earned dollars for. Wait for it to air on cable...which should be shortly.

After watching 'The War Lover' McQueen was a real ass in this movie, but he got the job done.

Great shots of the bombers in formation and I'm glad I wasn't on the receiving end of either the bomb loads or the flak/fighters.

Catching up on my screenings and I'll be back with a roundup of some new films but for now, I just wanted to get the warning out before the 4th of July weekend:

STAY AWAY FROM "THE LONE RANGER"!!!

Absolutely dreadful...an awful, loud, mess that drags on far too long. Don't pay a penny for this garbage. You deserve better for your entertainment dollar.

Haven't looked "up thread" to see feedback but I saw "Lincoln" this weekend and couldn't keep my eyes open :( Quiet, dimly lit films tend to have that effect on me.

No problem Virginia...I certainly understand your dilemma and therefore don't begrudge the fact you fell asleep. It's not that great a movie, with only Daniel Day Lewis and Sally Fields performances to recommend it. It'll drift off into the murky depths of time like other heavily-praised bio-pics with a short shelf-life: Gandhi, The Aviator, Nixon, etc.