Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
bigstickbonzo

I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

I love watching an "old" movie and noticing an actor/actress who, at the time, was not well known or as experienced, but by now has become a legitimate talent/star.

Last night I was re-watching Donnie Brasco (1997), and noticed Paul Giamatti in a very small role as an FBI surveillance agent. Twp pretty good scenes with Johnny Depp. I would gather in 1997 we were all talking about Depp, Pacino and possibly Madsen with regards to that film.

Movies I've seen on DVD recently, haven't been to a theater since seeing "Argo" a few weeks back. Here they are in (my personal) first to last:

"Searching for Sugarman" - very good documentary. There's a rather lengthy discussion about it in the "Other Bands/Music" section in this forum.

"A Royal Affair" - Not really anything I haven't seen before. But I'll watch just about any period movie with excellent acting, scenery and costuming.

"Catfish" - Documentary? Scripted? Nevertheless, it is entertaining, and makes one think twice about the people you meet online. As the saying goes, truth can be stranger than fiction (Manti Te'o).

I love watching an "old" movie and noticing an actor/actress who, at the time, was not well known or as experienced, but by now has become a legitimate talent/star.

Last night I was re-watching Donnie Brasco (1997), and noticed Paul Giamatti in a very small role as an FBI surveillance agent. Twp pretty good scenes with Johnny Depp. I would gather in 1997 we were all talking about Depp, Pacino and possibly Madsen with regards to that film.

Loved 'Donnie Brasco'.

I just watched Sidney Poitier's first movie (1950) called 'No Way Out' with Richard Widmark as a total racist. The movie was way ahead of its time.

Loved 'Donnie Brasco'.

I just watched Sidney Poitier's first movie (1950) called 'No Way Out' with Richard Widmark as a total racist. The movie was way ahead of its time.

Hey Redrum, is Richard Widmark a sherriff in that one?....I seem to remember it but maybe i am getting him confused with Caroll O'Connor in another movie....regardless, i will check it out, cheers...

It's called "American Hustle" starring Robert DeNiro, Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, and Christian Bale has wrapped up its Worcester, MA filming.

I think it's scheduled for release by Christmas.

It's called "American Hustle" starring Robert DeNiro, Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, and Christian Bale and has wrapped up its Worcester, MA filming.

It's called "American Hustle" starring Robert DeNiro, Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, and Christian Bale has wrapped up its Worcester, MA filming.

wow, another movie with Cooper and DeNiro! Those guys must really like working with each other, which is great!....Hey Planted did you ever see the clip of that show "Inside the Actors Studio", where Bradley Cooper is a student and gets to ask DeNiro (guest actor) a question? Pretty neat to go back in time and see this student ask a legend a question and now he's been in multiple movies with him....cheers Fishy.... Maybe I'll go find it and post if for fun...

2:10 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6EuMKMrIi0

Edited by fishhead

Hey Redrum, is Richard Widmark a sherriff in that one?....I seem to remember it but maybe i am getting him confused with Caroll O'Connor in another movie....regardless, i will check it out, cheers...

No, you're thinking of 'In The Heat Of The Night' with Rod Steiger as the sheriff. Widmark was a total racist in 'No Way Out'.

I also liked Poitier and Widmark in 'The Bedford Incident'. Great cold war movie.

A great WW2 movie. Shows the real brutality of a band of Nazis.

Olivier was great as a French trapper.

post-503-0-00655600-1367188811_thumb.jpg

No, you're thinking of 'In The Heat Of The Night' with Rod Steiger as the sheriff. Widmark was a total racist in 'No Way Out'.

I also liked Poitier and Widmark in 'The Bedford Incident'. Great cold war movie.

Right!...ok, i will look for "No Way Out" with Widmark and also "The Bedford Incident". I don;t think I have seen either of these...cheers Fishy

wow, another movie with Cooper and DeNiro! Those guys must really like working with each other, which is great!....Hey Planted did you ever see the clip of that show "Inside the Actors Studio", where Bradley Cooper is a student and gets to ask DeNiro (guest actor) a question? Pretty neat to go back in time and see this student ask a legend a question and now he's been in multiple movies with him....cheers Fishy.... Maybe I'll go find it and post if for fun...2:10 markhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6EuMKMrIi0

Thanks fishy!

What a treasure! It was great fun standing around at a filming. Something not commonly occurring in Worcester, I can tell you that.

The entire downtown section was used for filming also. Every sign taken down and changed for the movie. Way cool. Union Station was used but Im not sure for how much of the film. I can't wait for its release!

Thanks for knowing about the interview and for sharing!

Thanks fishy!

What a treasure! It was great fun standing around at a filming. Something not commonly occurring in Worcester, I can tell you that.

The entire downtown section was used for filming also. Every sign taken down and changed for the movie. Way cool. Union Station was used but Im not sure for how much of the film. I can't wait for its release!

Thanks for knowing about the interview and for sharing!

no problemo...I look forward to seeing the movie. These guys are good together....cheers....P.S-here is also a clip on youtube of a young Bradley Cooper/student asking Sean Penn a question from the audience...see ya

Right!...ok, i will look for "No Way Out" with Widmark and also "The Bedford Incident". I don;t think I have seen either of these...cheers Fishy

Both excellent movies. Eric Portman is the German ex-U-Boat captain in 'The Bedford Incident'. He played the head Nazi in the movie I mentioned above '49th Parallel'.

Watched 'Sling Blade' the other night.

'I like the way you talk!'

:^)

Saw the new Star Trek last night in Imax 3D. I loved it, but again found myself wondering what Gene Roddenberry would have thought.

Edited by zepscoda

I saw the trailer for this a while back at some other movie, so when I saw it at Redbox last night, I gave it a shot.

Typical, yet still very funny vehicle for Vince Vaughn, Ben Stiller and Jonah Hill to do what they do.

Something I noticed about the filming/direction -

there seems to be a whole lot of ad-lib to a lot of the scenes, just a general direction to what direction they're going and then sit back and film as they feed on each other.

Many of the scenes had an out-takes reel feel to them, various responses piled one after another, and it gets cherry-picked for the best lines/interactions in editing.

Not that that was a bad thing - it was very funny.

Just something I noticed, how their seemed to not be a very strict script.

Overall, well worth a watch (see what I did there?) for some good laughs.

the-watch-poster-405x600.jpg

Just got back.

Epic, and well-done.

I'll probably go again tomorrow.

Some of the funniest scenes of all.

If you don't laugh, something's wrong.

The-Hangover-Part-3-Movie.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Watched it again yesterday.

As with the others, it gets better with more views.

Rented Life of Pi from Redbox.

It was beautifully filmed, and I was reminded of Slumdog Millionaire the way the story moved between the present and the past.

Not absolutely sure I "got it" at the end, but overall, it was an enjoyable movie.

life-pi-poster.jpg

"No Way Out" was one of the films shown at this year's Noir City Festival at the American Cinematheque back in April. Gorgeous print and a great movie with both Widmark and Poitier excellent in their roles. Interesting to know that at first Richard Widmark turned down the role...he was tired of playing "bad guys". Director Joseph Mankiewicz convinced him to do it, and Widmark decided if he was going to play a heavy one last time, then he was going to go out blazing and really play it mean.

Definitely one to watch.

"No Way Out" was one of the films shown at this year's Noir City Festival at the American Cinematheque back in April. Gorgeous print and a great movie with both Widmark and Poitier excellent in their roles. Interesting to know that at first Richard Widmark turned down the role...he was tired of playing "bad guys". Director Joseph Mankiewicz convinced him to do it, and Widmark decided if he was going to play a heavy one last time, then he was going to go out blazing and really play it mean.

Definitely one to watch.

Agreed. Widmark's role in 'Kiss Of Death' was amazing. Him and Poitier were also great in 'The Bedford Incident'