I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

Saw " Filth " tonight excellent . was supposed to go see Lee Scratch Perry in concert in Leeds afterwards , but I stayed in Wakefield and got pissed instead

Hoping this gets a U.S. release date soon! How would you rank this on the Irvine Welsh scale, Mr. Garlic?

That is a bummer, I agree.

1384033_1438274796398957_434462301_n.jpg

I would like to take this time to offer you my Thanks, Good Sir, for your recommendation of Gravity, specifically in 3D.

Unfortunately, the next showing in IMAX 3D wasn't for almost 2 hours, so I had to settle for Real 3D.

I regret that, because I'm certain IMAX Sound would have been simply insane.

I want to begin by explaining that I saw the trailer for Gravity at a movie earlier in the summer.

It looked... interesting.

But not absolutely compelling like other movies have seemed.

However, your recommendation, specifically in recognition of your usual disdain for 3D, as well as the revelation that the trailer doesn't ruin the movie changed my mind.

And you were so right.

A while back when I saw Avatar, I was shredded (not by you) for being such an ardent fan of the movie, especially the use of CG and 3D.

But my reply was, I saw it as opening doors for less gaudy use of 3D (and CG), allowing it to more subtly influence the movie, to help tell the story.

Gravity has done that.

I think I can safely comment without a spoiler warning that the teardrop alone eliminates any doubt of how well the 3D enhanced the story.

That was exquisite.

For anyone that hasn't seen it - paradigm shift.

Movies just took another quantum leap in absolute, fucking hardcore awesomeness.

Quite simply, MIND = BLOWN.

Thank you, Strider.

You are, without question, Da Man.

I saw Baggage Claim this weekend. It's a garden variety romantic comedy starring Paula Patton (a.k.a. Mrs Robin Thicke). It was amusing enough but utterly predictable. I knew who the heroine would wind up with a half hour into the movie. Ms. Patton is a competent and appealing actress but supporting actors Jill Scott and Adam Brody steal every scene they're in with their one-liners and bickering.

I would like to take this time to offer you my Thanks, Good Sir, for your recommendation of Gravity, specifically in 3D.

Unfortunately, the next showing in IMAX 3D wasn't for almost 2 hours, so I had to settle for Real 3D.

I regret that, because I'm certain IMAX Sound would have been simply insane.

I want to begin by explaining that I saw the trailer for Gravity at a movie earlier in the summer.

It looked... interesting.

But not absolutely compelling like other movies have seemed.

However, your recommendation, specifically in recognition of your usual disdain for 3D, as well as the revelation that the trailer doesn't ruin the movie changed my mind.

And you were so right.

A while back when I saw Avatar, I was shredded (not by you) for being such an ardent fan of the movie, especially the use of CG and 3D.

But my reply was, I saw it as opening doors for less gaudy use of 3D (and CG), allowing it to more subtly influence the movie, to help tell the story.

Gravity has done that.

I think I can safely comment without a spoiler warning that the teardrop alone eliminates any doubt of how well the 3D enhanced the story.

That was exquisite.

Movies just took another quantum leap in absolute, fucking hardcore awesomeness.

Thank you, Strider.

Wow. That is quite some commendation from you. But, as much as it is appreciated, there is no way I could in good conscience believe I was in any way shape or form, Da Man. I'm just one little anonymous human being among the billions.

I am glad that you enjoyed "Gravity" and didn't feel I steered you wrong on the movie. I loved that "teardrop" scene too!

The sound design of the film is topnotch, as well...another reminder of Kubrick's films that "Gravity" is a tip of the hat to. Also, for those who haven't seen it yet, listen for Ed Harris' voice as one of Houston Control's. A nice nod to "Apollo 13" and "The Right Stuff".

Ok...I'll wait another week or so before really delving into "Gravity", to give more of you time to see it.

THAT is a nice marquee. :^)

It's a great theatre...if you're ever down in L.A., I'll treat you to a movie there.

Earlier tonight, Director Richard Donner attended the screening of "The Omen" at the American Cinematheque's Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood. Richard then did a Q & A. Besides "The Omen", he is well known for the Christopher Reeve "Superman" and the "Lethal Weapon" movies. He also directed tons of television shows and to a sizable part of the population may be most beloved for being the director of the original Twilight Zone episode "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet", starring William Shatner. Coincidentally, tonight was the 50th anniversary of the first air date of that landmark episode...October 11, 1963. Here is Richard Donner with a friend tonight.

post-1470-0-19822000-1381567153_thumb.jp

Earlier this week, I also went to see "Gravity" a second time...this time in 3D IMAX at the newly refurbished and reopened Chinese Theatre.

post-1470-0-83012300-1381567378_thumb.jp

Blew me away even more the second time...pottedplant, get ready for a heartstopping rollercoaster ride tonight. They had the space suit costumes worn by Sandra Bullock and George Clooney in the lobby of the theatre.

post-1470-0-80730500-1381567676_thumb.jppost-1470-0-98322400-1381567843_thumb.jp

It's a great theatre...if you're ever down in L.A., I'll treat you to a movie there.

Earlier tonight, Director Richard Donner attended the screening of "The Omen" at the American Cinematheque's Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood. Richard then did a Q & A. Besides "The Omen", he is well known for the Christopher Reeve "Superman" and the "Lethal Weapon" movies. He also directed tons of television shows and to a sizable part of the population may be most beloved for being the director of the original Twilight Zone episode "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet", starring William Shatner. Coincidentally, tonight was the 50th anniversary of the first air date of that landmark episode...October 11, 1963. Here is Richard Donner with a friend tonight.

attachicon.gifIMG_20131011_220418.jpg

Earlier this week, I also went to see "Gravity" a second time...this time in 3D IMAX at the newly refurbished and reopened Chinese Theatre.

attachicon.gifIMG_20131009_213140.jpg

Blew me away even more the second time...pottedplant, get ready for a heartstopping rollercoaster ride tonight. They had the space suit costumes worn by Sandra Bullock and George Clooney in the lobby of the theatre.

attachicon.gifIMG_20131009_220814.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20131009_220730.jpg

OMG- I couldn't wait, so I went last night. The movie is still in my head. The visual experience in that 3D Imax, or whatever you call it, was out of this world (no pun intended). I can't wait until we can talk about it. The story the movie told will have a lot of different interpretations and perspectives. Everyone should see this movie; your heart will be the better for it.

attachicon.gifIMG_20131011_220418.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20131009_213140.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20131009_220814.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20131009_220730.jpg

That sounds like a plan. I SO remember that Shatner episode when it first aired. It's one that's hard to forget.

So, I happened to catch This Is The End in stock at my local Redbox, so I grabbed it, caught a sweet buzz and prepared for shenanigans to ensue.

Unfortunately, said shenanigans failed to materialize.

With so many of Hollywood's FUNNY actors and comedians in a single movie, it's surprising how NOT funny this movie was.

Oh, I imagine there could be lots of inside jokes that make Seth Rogen et al., delirious with laughter with every viewing.

But if there are, they're so obscure as to be discernible ONLY to those intimately familiar with their world.

Overall, it seems an excessively self-indulgent exercise in displaying who's part of the COOL KIDS in Hollywood.

I would guess they imagine themselves as having brutally torching each other with their collective acidic wit in portraying themselves in the movie, but very little gets any traction.

Michael Cera is mildly humorous - for about a second or so - as an out-of-control cokehead.

Also the observation that Seth Rogen plays the same guy - basically himself - in every movie.

In the end, it's Danny McBride playing his usual over-the-top kind of character that keeps any of the movie even slightly interesting.

It's kind of funny - and kind of easy - to imagine him as actually being the crazy-cool (in a trailer-trashy kind of way) burnout that he so often plays, but it's hardly enough to carry the entire movie.

Seriously, when you have a stiff buzz and STILL have a hard time finding something to get a chuckle out of, well, that's a problem for a comedy.

2013-05-27-this_is_end_poster.jpg

Seriously, when you have a stiff buzz and STILL have a hard time finding something to get a chuckle out of, well, that's a problem for a comedy.

This is the reason we like the older comedies. Watched this last night. No plot....Just fun silliness.

post-503-0-99795000-1381700767_thumb.jpg

Gravity has done that.

That was exquisite.

Thank you, Strider.

I just saw it for the second time this week. Needless to say, I enjoyed the "Gravity" experience and agree with what you said about the Blue-Eyed Merle.

So, I happened to catch This Is The End in stock at my local Redbox, so I grabbed it, caught a sweet buzz and prepared for shenanigans to ensue.

At least you gave it a try. I don't recall even hearing about this one. :blink:

event_263395542.jpeg

Good movie, very sad story.

We took our kids so they could get a feel for how easily any situation can quickly spiral out of control, and any day can become your last.

So they could see that there are no warnings.

event_263395542.jpeg

We took our kids so they could get a feel for how easily any situation can quickly spiral out of control, and any day can become your last.

Have to check it out. I used to take the BART train all the time from Fruitvale.

With so many of Hollywood's FUNNY actors and comedians in a single movie, it's surprising how NOT funny this movie was.

Oh, I imagine there could be lots of inside jokes that make Seth Rogen et al., delirious with laughter with every viewing.

But if there are, they're so obscure as to be discernible ONLY to those intimately familiar with their world.

Overall, it seems an excessively self-indulgent exercise in displaying who's part of the COOL KIDS in Hollywood.

I would guess they imagine themselves as having brutally torching each other with their collective acidic wit in portraying themselves in the movie, but very little gets any traction.

Michael Cera is mildly humorous - for about a second or so - as an out-of-control cokehead.

Also the observation that Seth Rogen plays the same guy - basically himself - in every movie.

In the end, it's Danny McBride playing his usual over-the-top kind of character that keeps any of the movie even slightly interesting.

It's kind of funny - and kind of easy - to imagine him as actually being the crazy-cool (in a trailer-trashy kind of way) burnout that he so often plays, but it's hardly enough to carry the entire movie.

Hmmm...I guess this is one case where proximity does matter. Yes, it is silly and goofy and preposterous and even self-indulgent. But seeing it with my godson and other friends, we all laughed, and I can only assume that living in Los Angeles and coming into occasional contact in everyday life with some of these actors and knowing their personas, real and imagined, helped us enjoy the movie more than someone in, say, Kansas City or Liverpool might. I loved how they either amplified their perceived identities (James Franco's supposed homosexuality, Danny McBride's redneck-white-trash party animal) or turned them on their head (usually sweet Michael Cera as a coked-out asshole, Harry Potter's innocent Emma Watson as a bad-ass bitch).

Looking back on the film many months later, I suppose it relies on a lot of in-jokes...too many for its own good, perhaps. Interestingly, and probably tellingly, while it is probably out of theatres in the rest of the country, it is still playing in movie houses here in Los Angeles. Definitely not a movie to take the kids to, either.

event_263395542.jpeg

Yes, this was very good and it was hard to resist crying. While everyone was going gaga over that overrated "The Butler", this superior movie unfortunately slipped through the cracks with only minimal distribution and a minuscule fraction of the attention that the Lee Daniels-Oprah Winfrey blatant Oscar-bait received. Catch it on DVD or cable if your theatres didn't carry this honestly moving film.

"Gravity" is still the must-see in theatres right now, followed by "Captain Phillips". Recent disappointments include "The Place Beyond the Pines" and "We're the Millers".

Then, there are the out-and-out godawful "Baggage Claim" and "Machete Kills". Waste of time and money. Avoid like the plague.

Edited by Strider