Pink Floyd Topic

MisterMcLov1n

Floyd fans like the album, just not as much as they like other works. That's not a knock against it or anything, just that tastes vary even within the ranks of Floydian fandom. Personally, I think there's a couple great songs on there, but it's not favorite piece. I'm glad that you really like it, though. :)

I see. I guess it can be at bit to much psychedelic, and experimental for some people. I was familiar with some of the songs before, because of the Live at Pompeii video.

What songs do you like?

Saucerful has some good tracks but I'v always thought that they didnt really get the hang of the studio until More, Set the Controls and the title track were vastly improved live.

If you like the "middle" era of Floyd then I'd recommend the Rhino Records rerelease of the Zabriski Point soundtrack, has almost and albums worth of material by the Floyd on it in a similar style to More.

Hi everyone! Thanks for all your recommendations and suggestions. I haven't bought anything yet. Actually, I think I'm more confused now than I was to start with! :slapface::lol: It seems everyone has a lot of different opinions about the albums I listed. So, I think I'll just start from the beginning and buy them in chronological order (starting with Saucerful and More). Hopefully after Christmas I'll have some extra cash, and I'll let you all know what I think after I've listened to them.

Most people have heard it if they have heard any boots from that era. To be honest, I prefer The Travel Section to what ended up on the album, but David felt that they had one guitar jam already on the album (Any Colour You Like) and therefore they went more electronic with this one.

• 3 weeks later...

Most people have heard it if they have heard any boots from that era. To be honest, I prefer The Travel Section to what ended up on the album, but David felt that they had one guitar jam already on the album (Any Colour You Like) and therefore they went more electronic with this one.

As an individual track I agree although I think you can argue the album version flows with the other material better. Besides that and Gilmour already having a "jam" track I suspect the reason it was dumped was at much due to the lenght. That version I posted is pretty simple/repetitive so wouldnt have been hard to cut down to 3 mins but by the time they were recording darkside it had become alot more complex. Listening to the version from bobingen 20/5/72 right now, dam that track became a monster jam, one of my favourite live performances by them.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm downloading flac files of this bootleg right now. I'll let you know how it sounds. :)bbc6769coveronly.jpgbbc6769tray.jpgPINK FLOYDBBC Archives 1967-1969 (HRV CDR 008) RevB40th Anniversary EditionResearch and Remastering by MOBQuality Control by EdPArtwork by RonToonProduced by Harvested RecordsDisc One1. Pow R Toc H (14May67 "Look Of The Week")2. Astronomy Domine (14May67 "Look Of The Week")3. The Gnome (25Sep67 "Top Gear")4. Scarecrow (25Sep67 "Top Gear")5. Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun (25Sep67 "Top Gear")6. Matilda Mother (25Sep67 "Top Gear")7. Reaction in G (25Sep67 "Top Gear")8. Flaming (25Sep67 "Top Gear")9. Green Onions (12Dec67 "Tomorrow's World")10. Instrumental (12Dec67 "Tomorrow's World")11. Vegetable Man (20Dec67 "Top Gear")12. Scream Thy Last Scream (20Dec67 "Top Gear")13. Pow R Toc H (20Dec67 "Top Gear")14. Jugband Blues (20Dec67 "Top Gear")Disc Two1. Instrumental (26Mar68 "The Sound Of Change")2. Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun (28Mar68 "Omnibus' All My Loving")3. The Murderotic Woman (25Jun68 "Top Gear")4. The Massed Gadgets Of Hercules (25Jun68 "Top Gear")5. Let There Be More Light (25Jun68 "Top Gear")6. Julia Dream (25Jun68 "Top Gear")7. Point Me At The Sky (02Dec68 "Top Gear")8. Baby Blue Shuffle In D Major (02Dec68 "Top Gear")9. Embryo (02Dec68 "Top Gear")10. Interstellar Overdrive (02Dec68 "Top Gear")11. Daybreak (12May69 "Top Gear")12. Nightmare (12May69 "Top Gear")13. The Beginning (12May69 "Top Gear")14. Beset By Creatures Of The Deep (12May69 "Top Gear")15. The Narrow Way (12May69 "Top Gear")16. Moonhead (20Jul69 "Omnibus' What If It's Just Green Cheese?")40 years after the last Pink Floyd studio session for the BBC, Harvested is proud to present this upgraded version of "BBC Archives 1967-1969".This release required a lot of work and took more than 6 months to complete. The purpose was to present each track in the best possible quality. The process was long because it was performed on a track by track basis. For each song, we had to compare many different sources in order to identify the strengths and weaknesses of each version and then decide which one(s) to work on. The mastering work was done very carefully, trying to repair every flaw that could be corrected... and there were a lot (tape warble, crackles, drop-outs, incorrect speed, etc).Instead of giving all the details for each single track (we want to avoid sterile debates about lineage and sources), we prefer the results to speak for itself. We think people should judge by their ears; listen to your sonically-preferred versions and compare them to the ones on this new Harvested release. We can confidently say that every track is - sonically speaking - an upgrade compared to the best previously circulating version, including the master transfer of the 25Jun68 session (which offered complete versions but from a damaged mastertape) and the recent Celestial Voices tracks from the 12May69 session.We made the choice not to include the various DJ intros in order to focus on the music. There are some exceptions such as Reaction In G and Set The Controls from the 25Sep67 session, but for the remainder the DJ comments were considered too distracting and so we edited them out (e.g. the Tomorrow's World tracks). Also, it's important to note that all tracks are presented in true mono, the way they were mixed by the BBC (there's no "fake stereo" nor "sound expanding" effect).This collection not only includes the sessions for BBC radio, but also studio sessions for BBC TV shows and documentaries making it more complete than the previous releases. The number of tracks is now 30; 14 are covering the 1967 sessions with Syd (on CD 1) and 16 are dedicated to the 1968-1969 era with David (on CD 2).Cuesheets are included for those who like to burn CDRs with all the required text info.Enjoy this 40th Anniversary Edition !MOB (December 2009)Harvested Records

Hello, everyone! I recently got three Pink Floyd albums for Christmas: A Saucerful of Secrets, The Final Cut and The Division Bell. I really enjoyed A Saucerful of Secrets! The other two were just okay, nothing really outstanding. My favorite song from A Saucerful of Secrets is the title song. It really blew my mind, I was totally hypnotized after listening to it! :D I'd previously heard the live version from Pompeii, but the album version is a bit different. I think I like the album version better. I also enjoyed Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun and Let There Be More Light. I've only listened to each album once; maybe when I listen to them again I might like The Final Cut and The Division Bell more.

Hello, everyone! I recently got three Pink Floyd albums for Christmas: A Saucerful of Secrets, The Final Cut and The Division Bell. I really enjoyed A Saucerful of Secrets! The other two were just okay, nothing really outstanding. My favorite song from A Saucerful of Secrets is the title song. It really blew my mind, I was totally hypnotized after listening to it! :D I'd previously heard the live version from Pompeii, but the album version is a bit different. I think I like the album version better. I also enjoyed Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun and Let There Be More Light. I've only listened to each album once; maybe when I listen to them again I might like The Final Cut and The Division Bell more.

Division Bell is very good ! I've been listening to it a lot in the past few months. It might require a few listens before you get the hang of it. For individual songs from the album I especially suggest: Lost For Words (my favourite atm), Marooned (awesome instrumental), Coming Back to Life and High Hopes ofc.

I haven't heard the Final Cut yet but from what I've read many people think it's one of Floyd's worst albums :lol:

From the Pink Floyd albums I have only Saucerful has been a bit difficult for me. I like Let There Be More Light, Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun and Corporal Clegg (that's a fun one :D) though.

Division Bell is very good ! I've been listening to it a lot in the past few months. It might require a few listens before you get the hang of it. For individual songs from the album I especially suggest: Lost For Words (my favourite atm), Marooned (awesome instrumental), Coming Back to Life and High Hopes ofc.

I thought Marooned was really great! It uses some of the same piano chords from Us and Them. It also shows what a great guitarist David Gilmour is.

I'm downloading flac files of this bootleg right now.  I'll let you know how it sounds.  bbc6769coveronly.jpg

I converted and burnt this and it's GREAT !! The sound quality of the earliest tunes could be better. It's all mono as was originally mixed and broadcast, but the performances are stellar!

The Division Bell is pretty damn good, but I agree it's better than The Final Cut. I love his solo stuff......I have all three of them on vinyl and the vinyl issue of On An Island cost me a pretty penny, but well worth it.

I think On An Island is a fantastic album and was great to see it in its entirety live - especially having Graham Nash and David Crosby join David on stage :D

• 1 month later...

The Division Bell is pretty damn good...

This is just a response to a lot of the posts in this thread... first and foremost I am a huge fan of Floyd. Have been since 1977. It's funny... but I remember walking the halls of school... 9th grade... and hearing all the kids singing... Hey! Teacher! Leave them kids alone! :D

About ten years ago I stumbled upon a bootleg of Floyd in concert in 1969... and now I have so many shows circa 1969-71 that I probably couldn't list them all. I love that era of Floyd. So many great songs and they still played gems like Grantchester Meadows and Embryo.

I agree w/ whoever said Obscured By Clouds is a great, underrated album. I would also tend to disagree with those that don't care for The Final Cut. The key to this album are the songs from The Gunners Dream through The Final Cut. Yes, it's only six songs... but those six songs are powerful statements.

I've seen Floyd... unfortunately it was in a stadium w/ 65,000 other people. I hate big shows. I've seen Roger at The Fox Theatre in St. Louis in 1987 and again on his 1999 tour. I was at the show where he debuted Each Small Candle for the first time. His solo album Amused To Death is a classic.

David Gilmour is just an amazing musician. His voice is just pure perfection and his guitar playing is filled with heart and soul and just drips w/ emotion.

Richard Wright was the great underrated entity of the band. His piano and keyboard work was just as essential as David's guitar and Roger's lyrics. It was so great to see him on the On An Island tour... his playing has always been so in sync w/ David's music.

I think one of the things that makes it so easy to be a fan of Pink Floyd is that there are several different incarnations from which to choose from... you have the early Syd Barret days, you have the immediate post-Syd days, then you have the Dark Side - The Wall era... then the post-Roger era... how can you ever tire of them? There's always something fresh to listen to and relate to.

Their performance at Live 8, albeit brief, was a great way for the band, minus Syd, to go out. They played beautifully and actually seemed to be enjoying the moment, particularly Roger. Too bad his ego got in the way all the those years ago.