Pink Floyd Topic

MisterMcLov1n

I searched for any Pink Floyd topics in this forum, but searching yielded no immediate results, so I will start this one. This is the discussion topic for Pink Floyd and related musicians, like Syd, David and Roger's solo careers as well.

Pink Floyd are, in my opinion, the best English band ever and an amalgamation of some of the best musicians who ever lived. Their musical maturation is fascinating to observe from album to album. Syd Barrett was a genius and even The Madcap Laughs is a fantastic and quirky work. Roger Waters is a kickass bassist and the band went to crap without his songwriting. Richard Wright is responsible for the amazing atmosphere generated by some of their greatest albums and was a fucking fantastic keyboardist, RIP. David Gilmour has a great singing voice and the emotion oozes out of his guitar, he is the archetype of what many guitarists strive to be. Nick Mason's drumming was never quite the main focus of the music, but his work on Piper and Ummagumma is perfection.

So, anyone want to talk Floyd? I'm listening to The Wall right now actually.

I searched for any Pink Floyd topics in this forum, but searching yielded no immediate results, so I will start this one. This is the discussion topic for Pink Floyd and related musicians, like Syd, David and Roger's solo careers as well.

Pink Floyd are, in my opinion, the best English band ever and an amalgamation of some of the best musicians who ever lived. Their musical maturation is fascinating to observe from album to album. Syd Barrett was a genius and even The Madcap Laughs is a fantastic and quirky work. Roger Waters is a kickass bassist and the band went to crap without his songwriting. Richard Wright is responsible for the amazing atmosphere generated by some of their greatest albums and was a fucking fantastic keyboardist, RIP. David Gilmour has a great singing voice and the emotion oozes out of his guitar, he is the archetype of what many guitarists strive to be. Nick Mason's drumming was never quite the main focus of the music, but his work on Piper and Ummagumma is perfection.

So, anyone want to talk Floyd? I'm listening to The Wall right now actually.

How's it going "MisterMcLov1n?" I LOVE PINK FLOYD! I own all of their albums and I have seen them live 5 times.

Do you own any PINK FLOYD albums on CD by Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (MFSL)? I own all four PINK FLOYD albums by MFSL and are as follows:

The Dark Side Of The Moon

Meddle

Atom Heart Mother

The Wall

All of these albums are in the ORIGINAL MASTER RECORDING, ULTRADISC series on 24 KT. Gold CD's. If you want the ultimate best sound quality ever by PINK FLOYD, buy these albums on e-bay, you won't be sorry. These Gold CD's might be very expensive, but once you hear them, you will know exactly where your extra money is going. This is the very best sound quality that you are ever going to hear on the great PINK FLOYD. Take care and ROCK ON FOREVER my friend.

Edited by ZeppFanForever

I love Pink Floyd!

Syd Barrett: creator of the basic Pink Floyd sound, and mightbe a even greater genius if he hadn't fallen apart. R.I.P.

Roger Waters: great bassist, not to mention excellent songwriter. Developed the sound of the band. The one from whom came the band's best efforts.

David Gilmour: one of the best guitarists ever! Not to mention a great singer. His solos are some of the best out there.

Rick Wright: what can I say? Great keyboardist! R.I.P.

Nick Mason: great drummer. Very underrated.

:peace:,

Jo

Edited by pagemccartney95

I love Pink Floyd!

Syd Barrett: creator of the basic Pink Floyd sound, and mightbe a even greater genius if he hadn't fallen apart. R.I.P.

Roger Waters: great bassist, not to mention excellent songwriter. Developed the sound of the band. The one from whom came the band's best efforts.

David Gilmour: one of the best guitarists ever! Not to mention a great singer. His solos are some of the best out there.

Rick Wright: what can I say? Great keyboardist! R.I.P.

Nick Mason: great drummer. Very underrated.

Jo

I knew that you were going to comment on this thread Jo! ROCK ON FOREVER my dear!

How's it going "MisterMcLov1n?" I LOVE PINK FLOYD! I own all of their albums and I have seen them live 5 times.

Do you own any PINK FLOYD albums on CD by Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (MFSL)? I own all four PINK FLOYD albums by MFSL and are as follows:

The Dark Side Of The Moon

Meddle

Atom Heart Mother

The Wall

All of these albums are in the ORIGINAL MASTER RECORDING, ULTRADISC series on 24 KT. Gold CD's. If you want the ultimate best sound quality ever by PINK FLOYD, buy these albums on e-bay, you won't be sorry. These Gold CD's might be very expensive, but once you hear them, you will know exactly where your extra money is going. This is the very best sound quality that you are ever going to hear on the great PINK FLOYD. Take care and ROCK ON FOREVER my friend.

No I don't own any of those albums, but I have heard nothing but good things about their audio work. I will take a look on e-bay.

Also, when did you see them live? That's really awesome. Unfortunately due to Richard's recent passing another reunion is impossible.

No I don't own any of those albums, but I have heard nothing but good things about their audio work. I will take a look on e-bay.

Also, when did you see them live? That's really awesome. Unfortunately due to Richard's recent passing another reunion is impossible.

Hi "MisterMcLov1n!" How are you doing? You owe it to yourself to find the 24 KT. Gold CD's on e-bay, trust me, you will be glad that you did! You won't find anything better.

As for seeing PINK FLOYD 5 times, I saw them as follows:

L.A. Sports Arena on 27 April 1975 - Wish You Were Here Tour

Oakland Coliseum on 10 May 1977 - Animals Tour

L.A. Sports Arena on 7 February 1980 - The Wall Tour

Hughes Stadium, Sacramento, California on 20 April 1988 - Momentary Lapse Of Reason Tour

Oakland Coliseum on 21 April 1994 - The Division Bell Tour

I would like to add that these shows were OUTSTANDING and INCREDIBLE. I feel that I witnessed the band at their very best through the years. I am also glad that PINK FLOYD reunited at LIVE 8 on 2 July 2005. With Rick's passing on 15 September 2008, it was a major loss to PINK FLOYD. R.I.P. Richard William "Rick" Wright, Born 28 July 1943, Died 15 September 2008 at age 65. ROCK ON FOREVER my friend.

Edited by ZeppFanForever

Anyone here a fan of any of the former members' solo works?

Jo

Hi Jo! I love DAVID GILMOUR'S solo works such as DAVID GILMOUR (First solo album), LIVE IN GDANSK, ABOUT FACE and ON AN ISLAND albums. Gilmour has never lost his touch when it comes to playing emotionally through his guitar. ROCK ON FOREVER my dear!

Hi Jo! I love DAVID GILMOUR'S solo works such as DAVID GILMOUR (First solo album), LIVE IN GDANSK, ABOUT FACE and ON AN ISLAND albums. Gilmour has never lost his touch when it comes to playing emotionally through his guitar. ROCK ON FOREVER my dear!

Hmmm...I might have to invest in some of his solo stuff. He has got to be one of the best guitarists ever! Did I mention he also has one of the most beautiful voices in rock'n'roll? :wub:

Jo

Hmmm...I might have to invest in some of his solo stuff. He has got to be one of the best guitarists ever! Did I mention he also has one of the most beautiful voices in rock'n'roll? :wub:

Jo

Hi Jo! Yes, you should invest some money on as many DAVID GILMOUR albums as you can find. You are right Jo, Gilmour is not only one of the all-time greatest guitarists ever, he is also a very good vocalist with a very smooth and soothing sound. Take care and ROCK ON FOREVER my friend.

Pink Floyd are one of the early bands I remember listening to, especially the "Wish You Were Here" album. One thing I never understood though was the fascination with Syd Barrett, sure he's a good musician and his life was shrouded in mystery, to me the remaining members along with Gilmour created Pink Floyd's best work, in my opinion anyway.

Pink Floyd are one of the early bands I remember listening to, especially the "Wish You Were Here" album. One thing I never understood though was the fascination with Syd Barrett, sure he's a good musician and his life was shrouded in mystery, to me the remaining members along with Gilmour created Pink Floyd's best work, in my opinion anyway.

Hello my friend "Joao!" I can help you with this one. PINK FLOYD has and always will be, evolved around the late SYD BARRETT. Most of their songs are all about Syd. Examples are "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" and "Wish You Were Here." Many music critics have said that a lot of THE WALL album is based on Roger Waters but using a lot of Syd Barrett's mental breakdowns as the primary focus. Since SYD BARRETT was the band's backbone and leader, the band forever remained loyal to Syd and never forgot him. Take care and ROCK ON FOREVER my friend.

Edited by ZeppFanForever

Anyone here a fan of any of the former members' solo works?

Jo

David's solo albums are pretty damn good, especially his most recent one. I have it on vinyl and it sounds superb even in that format. Rick Wright's solo works were pretty good too, and it demonstrated just how vital he was to the Pink Floyd "sound". I haven't heard anything from Roger mostly because I don't care for him that much and if his solo work is any extension of The Wall or The Final Cut, I especially won't want to listen to them.

Jo

His voice hasn't changed much in 40 years. He sings a little lower on the scale now than before, but it doesn't change the complexity of the songs at all. In fact, it makes them sound better. I saw him in Chicago on his On An Island tour and in between hoping I wouldn't pass out and trying not to hyperventilate, I was able to actually hear him sing and it was heavenly.

His voice hasn't changed much in 40 years. He sings a little lower on the scale now than before, but it doesn't change the complexity of the songs at all. In fact, it makes them sound better. I saw him in Chicago on his On An Island tour and in between hoping I wouldn't pass out and trying not to hyperventilate, I was able to actually hear him sing and it was heavenly.

Oh, I don't doubt it. He may be in his sixties now, but I've seen vids from the Pink Floyd reunion at Live 8-he still rocks! :D:wub: I might want to go see him in concert if he tours again.

Jo