Pink Floyd Topic

MisterMcLov1n

Omg ^^ Fat Old Sun is awesome (:

I think my favorite albums by them are More, The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, and Wish You Were Here. I own all their albums on vinyl, but i play those the most. And i love that early song, Lucy Leave its just amazing

If I had to rank my Top 5 Floyd albums, it would go as follows:

Dark Side of the Moon

Wish You Were Here

Obscured By Clouds

Animals

The Division Bell

My #1 and #2 interchange almost daily, but that's what it is today. Obscured By Clouds is criminally overlooked.

If I had to rank my Top 5 Floyd albums, it would go as follows:

Dark Side of the Moon

Wish You Were Here

Obscured By Clouds

Animals

The Division Bell

My #1 and #2 interchange almost daily, but that's what it is today. Obscured By Clouds is criminally overlooked.

It is really overlooked! So many never even heard of that album. My favorite off it is Childhood's End, which is really high up on my favorite Floyd songs (:

It is really overlooked! So many never even heard of that album. My favorite off it is Childhood's End, which is really high up on my favorite Floyd songs (:

For me, it's Burning Bridges. A combo of Rick/David singing together and the guitar in the middle.....divine.

My top 5 Pink Floyd songs:

1-Medley: Us & Them/Any Colour/Brain Damage/Eclipse (Whenever XM Radio's Classic Vinyl plays Us & Them, they play the last three songs too, because of the segue).

2-Comfortably Numb: one of the best guitar solos ever.

3-Dogs: awesome.

4-See Emily Play: I love the energy of this one.

5-Echoes: an excellent jam.

:whistling:

:peace: and ROF,

Jo

Atom Heart Mother, Meddle, Dark Side......and maybe Wish You Were Here. After that I lost interest completely.

Listening to the live David Gilmour at Gdansk album was pretty illuminating I think. It wasn't Floyd.........but it sounded like them. I guess having two out of four and a bunch of other talented musicians is all you really need to re-create the vibe.

That says a lot I do believe.

Regards;

My top 5 Pink Floyd songs:

1-Medley: Us & Them/Any Colour/Brain Damage/Eclipse (Whenever XM Radio's Classic Vinyl plays Us & Them, they play the last three songs too, because of the segue).

2-Comfortably Numb: one of the best guitar solos ever.

3-Dogs: awesome.

4-See Emily Play: I love the energy of this one.

5-Echoes: an excellent jam.

:whistling:

:peace: and ROF,

Jo

Mine is real easy:

1. Us and Them

2. High Hopes

3. SOYCD

4. Comfortably Numb

5. Burning Bridges

I just bought Wish You Were Here. Just can't get enough. I sat in my car for about 5 minutes when I got to work until it was over. Ha Ha!

Has anyone ever noticed that on the last page of the CD Roger Waters is wearing a "Milwaukee Brewers" shirt? I grew up in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. My sister went to see them when they were here in I think 1977.

This album has so much meaning when you know the story behind it.

There just aren't words to describe how I feel about this album.

I just bought Wish You Were Here. Just can't get enough. I sat in my car for about 5 minutes when I got to work until it was over. Ha Ha!

Has anyone ever noticed that on the last page of the CD Roger Waters is wearing a "Milwaukee Brewers" shirt? I grew up in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. My sister went to see them when they were here in I think 1977.

WYWH is a great album! It's wonderful that the band wrote a song dedicated to Syd. <ahttp://forums.ledzeppelin.com/uploads/emoticons/default_happy.png' alt='^_^'> WYWH is one of fav Pink Floyd albums.

I have it on vinyl so no, I've never seen that picture. Although I think I know which one you're talking about. And WYWH is indeed a great album, David has said it's their best in his opinion. It certainly was the last album they did as foursome where you felt everyone was contributing in some way.

Pink Floyd are great!

My favorite albums are Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Wish You Were Here, & Dark Side of the Moon.

Syd was a creative genius. I have all his solo stuff.

I do like Roger Waters' inspired vocal stylings and songwriting. What little of his solo stuff I've heard I like.

David Gilmour's guitar playing is beautiful & Rick Wright's keyboard playing tasteful.

I list Nick Mason among my favorite drummers. He's not on the cosmic level of John Bonham, but he got a great sound and his playing always fit the songs perfectly.

Hello, fellow Pink Floyd fans! :wave: I love Pink Floyd, but I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't listened to all of their albums yet! :bagoverhead: Here's the ones I haven't heard yet: A Saucerful of Secrets, More, Atom Heart Mother, Obscured by Clouds, The Final Cut, A Momentary Lapse of Reason, and The Division Bell. Out of these, which do you guys recommend that I buy first? I've heard that The Final Cut wasn't that good.

As far as my favorite albums go, I really like Meddle, DSOTM, Wish You Were Here, and The Wall. I think my favorite song would have to be Echoes. I love the psychedelic part in the middle! :D

Hello, fellow Pink Floyd fans! :wave: I love Pink Floyd, but I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't listened to all of their albums yet! :bagoverhead: Here's the ones I haven't heard yet: A Saucerful of Secrets, More, Atom Heart Mother, Obscured by Clouds, The Final Cut, A Momentary Lapse of Reason, and The Division Bell. Out of these, which do you guys recommend that I buy first? I've heard that The Final Cut wasn't that good.

As far as my favorite albums go, I really like Meddle, DSOTM, Wish You Were Here, and The Wall. I think my favorite song would have to be Echoes. I love the psychedelic part in the middle! :D

Hello, "a clockwork tangerine"! Out of the albums you listed, I'd recommend either Obscured by Clouds or A Saucerful of Secrets. Both are some of the better pre-DSoTM efforts. AHM is rather odd, to say the least. You won't regonize most of the cuts off The Final Cut(which is more of Rog's solo album, so I'd only recommend it if you really dig him.), A Momentary Lapse of Reason, or The Division Bell. More is just weak, I think. Hope this helps! :D

Hello, "a clockwork tangerine"! Out of the albums you listed, I'd recommend either Obscured by Clouds or A Saucerful of Secrets. Both are some of the better pre-DSoTM efforts. AHM is rather odd, to say the least. You won't regonize most of the cuts off The Final Cut(which is more of Rog's solo album, so I'd only recommend it if you really dig him.), A Momentary Lapse of Reason, or The Division Bell. More is just weak, I think. Hope this helps! :D

Thanks for the recommendations, pagemccartney95! I think I'll buy A Saucerful of Secrets first. I know I already like two songs on it because they played them in Live at Pompeii (which was absolutely awesome :D ). I wasn't sure about Atom Heart Mother because I listened to the samples on iTunes and it sounded really weird! If it's anything like Ummagumma, I think I'll hold off on buying it. (I was a little disappointed after listening to Ummagumma.)

I actually enjoy More more than Saucerful, Ummagumma or AHM.

Edited to Add: I know alot of people who have their reservations about AMLOR, mostly stating it as more a solo record for Gilmour rather than a Floyd album. While the second half is weak, the first half is by far the best Floyd post-1979.

Edited by bigstickbonzo

From Atom Heart Mother, there is a fantastic musical piece called Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast which is one of my favorite Floyd pieces. The title track is a bit out there, but the rest of it - Summer 0f '68 (Rick Wright song), If (Roger) and Fat Old Sun (David) is very good, in my opinion. A Saucerful... was a weak follow-up to Piper and shows the "new" Floyd line-up, for better or worse, in a learning period. More is not bad, but it is for a movie soundtrack and is not very cohesive. As far as the post Wall discs you mentioned, they all have good moments, but are not great bodies of work. Division Bell is the best of the three, Final Cut is good as individual songs - but not as a full disc to listen to from beginning to end in one sitting. Momentary does have a few good songs, but again is more David solo than a Floyd disc. Just my opinion. A few years ago I went and purchased all of their remastered discs in order of release to see the growth that took place, since I only had listened to Piper, Saucer, Meddle and everything from DSOTM on to the end. It was a fun experience to listen to good, bad and just plain weird songs. They also have some compilations with unreleased songs and different versions of others. Works, Relics and Songs To Dance To (Not sure of the title, but has a different version of Money on it) come to mind - which also have some gems. Enjoy the ride, they were a fantastic band!! :thumbsup:

:peace:

The Final Cut sucks. Don't waste your money or your time, unless you really really want to.

Get Obscured By Clouds first. Then The Division Bell. Both are quintessentially Floyd, without the hype.

I just listened to A Saucerful of Secrets for the fist time, and I was blown away on how excellent this album was.

Truly a lost gem. I don't get why Floyd fans don't like this album.

Floyd fans like the album, just not as much as they like other works. That's not a knock against it or anything, just that tastes vary even within the ranks of Floydian fandom. Personally, I think there's a couple great songs on there, but it's not favorite piece. I'm glad that you really like it, though. :)

I actually enjoy More more than Saucerful, Ummagumma or AHM.

I enjoy the live disk of Ummagumma better than the rest of those but I agree More has some of there ebst studio work from that era. Obviously nice to have two releases but I think they might have been better off combining the better studio cuts from those two albums along with the live disk, say....

The Narrow Way pt 1

Granchester Meadows

Circus Minor

Main Theme from More

Green is the Colour

Cymbaline

More Blues

Dramatic Theme From More

The Embyro