Why is Zeppelin different?

Atlas

I usually hang out exclusively in the graduate forum, but this seems like a Zep-specific topic, so I'm posting here.

To me, Zeppelin is like no other band. I never get tired of listening to their music - though there are a few songs that have been played to death on the radio. They have an appeal and fascination that no other band has for me. It's almost like there is a secret wisdom which is lurking under the surface which, if I can tap into it, I will have incredible knowledge and power.

Just for reference, I remember when Zoso came out.

All bands have a special something in their music. For the Beatles, it's the harmonies, the musicianship, and the songwriting team of Lennon-McCartney. For Pink Floyd, it's the musicianship and Roger Waters' brilliant songwriting. So yeah, I agree with you about Zep's great mystery and power in their music.

:peace:,

Jo

Hello Atlas, You stated " They have an appeal and fascination that no other band has for me" I think you answered yourself:-) I love a lot of music, but none IMHO have the power of Zeppelin.

(This is meant with no disrepect to other musicians) For me, it is like the music of other bands are going to the zoo. You get to see a lot of great and wonderful things, but Zeppelin is like a wild safari, you get to see those wonderful things at their absolute best:-)

They took music to a place that was undiscovered, and to see them live is absolutely an experience that stays with you for life. You never knew what to expect. Their music just seems to come from the soul.

I am 4 decades of loving and respecting their music and I learn something new quite a lot.I think we have already tapped into power and knowledge!! How fun of a journey this is as we feel and learn more:-)

I believe the main attraction and differentiating factor to Led Zeppelin's music is Jimmy Page's unique guitar work. Many other bands had high-singing frontmen and powerful drumming, but Jimmy's style of playing produced extremely distinctive bluesy and "sexy" riffs. Also the musical blend and chemistry amongst all four members produced exceptional live performances, for which Zeppelin are well-known.

I believe the main attraction and differentiating factor to Led Zeppelin's music is Jimmy Page's unique guitar work. Many other bands had high-singing frontmen and powerful drumming, but Jimmy's style of playing produced extremely distinctive bluesy and "sexy" riffs. Also the musical blend and chemistry amongst all four members produced exceptional live performances, for which Zeppelin are well-known.

Good post!

Their live performances were one of a kind because they never played the same song the same way. Other bands will play the exact same notes every night. No other band had/has the chemistry that Zep had during live performances.

The main reason they are my favorite band is because they were so versatile - they incorporated many different genres into their music. Their songs are like a fusion of different influences and elements (blues, rock, folk, mid-eastern/Indian, country, etc). The only other band I can think of that was as versatile as Zep was the Beatles. I will never get tired of listening to Zep, that's for sure! :D

Good post!

The main reason they are my favorite band is because they were so versatile - they incorporated many different genres into their music. Their songs are like a fusion of different influences and elements (blues, rock, folk, mid-eastern/Indian, country, etc).

This is it in a nutshell for me. No matter what you're in the mood for, they have the genre.

I still can't quite figure out how I can listen to some of these songs hundreds of times and still will listen to them again. I love many bands, but I can't say this of any of them. Believe me, I've tried to figure this out.

We all hear the same Led Zeppelin sound as it hits our eardrums and is sent along the nerve to part of the brain for analysis, but from there our perspectives vary so much. For me, Led Zeppelin uniquely stands out because of Roberts voice. He has a range from wailing like a banshee to the softer sounds and this all works and blends magically with the instrumentation behind him, Jimmy's genius on guitar, John Paul's bass guitar and inventive keyboards and Bonhams thunderous drums. I would look forward to the ways they would reinvent their sound so that the listener would never become bored. Even with the variety of sound in their songs you always knew you were listening to Led Zeppelin.

We all hear the same Led Zeppelin sound as it hits our eardrums and is sent along the nerve to part of the brain for analysis, but from there our perspectives vary so much. For me, Led Zeppelin uniquely stands out because of Roberts voice. He has a range from wailing like a banshee to the softer sounds and this all works and blends magically with the instrumentation behind him, Jimmy's genius on guitar, John Paul's bass guitar and inventive keyboards and Bonhams thunderous drums. I would look forward to the ways they would reinvent their sound so that the listener would never become bored. Even with the variety of sound in their songs you always knew you were listening to Led Zeppelin.

I totally agree with you my dear! ROCK ON FOREVER my friend.

This is it in a nutshell for me. No matter what you're in the mood for, they have the genre.

I still can't quite figure out how I can listen to some of these songs hundreds of times and still will listen to them again. I love many bands, but I can't say this of any of them. Believe me, I've tried to figure this out.

Haha I'm exactly the same. It's not a bad thing though. :D

Definitely because I love them so much. The other thing could definitely be style, they combined rock music with many other genres. Along with music skills of band members, and like others said, power and mystery in their music makes Led Zeppelin so versatile and different to me.

Definitely because I love them so much. The other thing could definitely be style, they combined rock music with many other genres. Along with music skills of band members, and like others said, power and mystery in their music makes Led Zeppelin so versatile and different to me.

My thoughts exactly

For me the band just had so much going for it. Great music, great players , great personalities not to mention a work ethic that really was second to none. They pushed the boundaries and continually challenged themselves and their fans.

To me, Zeppelin is like no other band. I never get tired of listening to their music - though there are a few songs that have been played to death on the radio. They have an appeal and fascination that no other band has for me. It's almost like there is a secret wisdom which is lurking under the surface which, if I can tap into it, I will have incredible knowledge and power.

I couldn't agree more. There is something that happens every time i listen to them or even see their name. The music is just an exciting journey. It's a journey that no other artist or band has EVER been able to match with me.

For me it was when Page brought in the English folk thing to their music. That was pretty distinctive and exotic to American listeners like myself. I honestly think that was always the draw for me personally speaking.

The blooze rock crunchers and the hard rock screamers were always fine and good, but that acoustic thing that Zeppelin had was the most compelling thing about them.

Regards;

For me it was when Page brought in the English folk thing to their music. That was pretty distinctive and exotic to American listeners like myself. I honestly think that was always the draw for me personally speaking.

The blooze rock crunchers and the hard rock screamers were always fine and good, but that acoustic thing that Zeppelin had was the most compelling thing about them.

Regards;

I see what you were saying. But I disagree it was Jimmy alone who brought in the English folk thing. To me it was more like the balance of the input of all the four members, the growth of Robert as the lyricist, the bond between Page and Plant as writing partners (see Bron-yr-aur), and also their growing musical expierence like the recording in India.

Led Zeppelin is indeed a Kohinoor among the gems of classic rock. Bands endeavour to create albums which sound different than each other wheras Zeppelin managed to create melodies in a single album sounding poles apart! This is the distinguishing foundation. Every song in itself is a new tale, an experience and an arrangement.

Next is the equation & chemistry among the band members.

Not far behind is the individual talent of each member:

Page & Plant: spectrum of notes, Infusion of influences: Blues, blue grass, middle eastern and Asia sub- contoinent classical music

Jones: Art of playing various instruments and creating a colourful rythm section

Bonham: The power, the might, the speed, the finesse: The Sound of Zeppelin was born

I think it's that the four members' chemistry is so great and also because all 4 are arguably the most talented musicians in their fields. Many have said JPJ is the best bassist, that Bonzo is the best drummer, that Page is the best guitarist and that Plant is the best singer. You just don't have such quality and talent in every member of the band. Usually there's one or two that are really talented and the others are good but not great.

For me, they stand out because of all the different styles that they play. Hard rock, blues, funk, reggae, acoustic, folk... very few artists in history have ever been that expansive and still reached the level Led Zeppelin did.

I agree with all that has been posted so far but I would like to add that I believe that Zeppelin were innovators in creating music based on guitar riffs. Before Zeppelin there were certainly bands that used riffs as the main rythem of a song by Zep did it the best and did it more than other bands at the time. Look at Whole lotta love, Black Dog, and Kasmir as prime examples of this. I believe this is what has made them different and more unique than other bands.

I had just seen the replay of the -ahmet ertegun special on pbs awhile back and when talking about led zeppelin with -mich jagger, he said to ahmet, were'nt they just a band on paper back then, before you signed them. i think whatever -pages thoughts were on forming that band, obviously came together really well. in regards to elements and things falling into place, nobody could have predicted that. that band took on a life of their own and lived with and rode whatever elements there was, to a very great thing. all of the media and all of the hype can never explain that energy, the creativity and the spark that was there.

I agree with all that has been posted so far but I would like to add that I believe that Zeppelin were innovators in creating music based on guitar riffs. Before Zeppelin there were certainly bands that used riffs as the main rythem of a song by Zep did it the best and did it more than other bands at the time. Look at Whole lotta love, Black Dog, and Kasmir as prime examples of this. I believe this is what has made them different and more unique than other bands.

I agree. It really was all about riffs. Immortal riffs too.

Regards;

I believe that what makes Led Zeppelin's music so great goes beyond the influences and talent of each individual and the chemistry/creativity of the band. True, Led Zep had these qualities like no other, but as with any truly great addition to human culture there seems to be an ability of an individual or group to "pluck ideas from the ether" or to tap into the "cosmic sub-conscious stream" swirling around us. Name any great musician, scientist or religious figure (Lennon/McCartney, Einstein, Christ, Ghandi) - they have this ability. Led Zeppelin definitely had this ability.

Archived