Reunited bands

Rumpeller

Due to my age I couldn't see many of the band I love first time round, but luckily a lot of them finally relented and got back together. Sometimes their motives were pure; sometimes it was just for the cash. I don't care - it's just great to see the music played by the right people.

I've seen many reunions, but here are some of my favourites (if they played multiple dates I would always try to get the opening night).

LED ZEPPELIN

December 10th, O2 Arena, London.

For me this was the most anticipated of them all (but Pink Floyd came pretty close). What can I say that hasn't been said before. So exciting, so expensive, the best.

PINK FLOYD

July 2nd 2005, Hyde Park, London.

All four of them on stage again (for the last time) after 24 years of bad feeling. This is up there with Led Zep's O2 gig. Although I've seen Floyd without Roger Waters many times, and also Roger Waters solo too, this was the big one. A very emotional day. Not a bad supporting line up either: Madonna, Paul McCartney with U2 as his backing band, REM, The Who, etc. The tickets were all free and a friend won the opportunity to go. I bought him a few beers in gratitude that day.

CREAM

May 2nd 2005, Royal Albert Hall, London.

There was electricity in the air on that opening night. It felt like it an honour to be there in that wonderful venue, hearing their first full show since 1968. The band was great and the audience was great. A lot of people had travelled a long way to finally see the 3 of them on stage together.

VELVET UNDERGROUND

June 5th 1993, The Forum, London.

June 25th 1993, Glastonbury Festival, Somerset.

Both were very different shows. They only played together for approx. 1 month; the early dates were great as the band were happy to finally be playing again. Unfortunately by the time they got to Glastonbury Lou Reed and John Cale had fallen out again, and it showed. Mind you, that night we got The Velvet Underground, followed by Robert Plant, followed by The Black Crowes.

FAIRPORT CONVENTION (1969 Liege & Lief line up)

August 10th 2007, Cropredy Festival, Oxford.

I heard this album for the first time just after the Fairports announced this special one-off performance. I had to be there - it's such a magical record. Chris While replaced the late Sandy Denny, but the rest of the originals were playing. Chris did a fantastic job. What a happy day - there's a good vibe at Cropredy.

BLACK SABBATH

December 4th 1997, NEC Arena, Birmingham.

The Ozzy line-up. All 4 originals on stage for their first full show since Ozzy left. I think they played the US earlier that year, but without Bill Ward. The first of 2 nights and they decide to do this in their home town. I remember how cold it was outside the venue, but inside the crowd was mental. Happy days.

SEX PISTOLS

June 23rd 1996, Finsbury Park, London.

Theif first show on English soil since Christmas 1977. They opened with Bodies, so you can imagine how an already hyped up crowd exploded when this was played. The audience were almost as important as the band that day. Every punk in the land seemed to be there. Unfortunately, the Pistols have since become a bit too showbiz for my liking, but that was a fine day.

I've been to a few other reunions, but these are some of my favourites. Why not share a few memories about some that you've seen?

I saw Cream at MSG in Oct 2005, it was the last of the 3 shows they did there, so I guess I can say I saw the last Cream concert ever. It was amazing to be able to see them live after hearing them on the radio & my stereo for years!

Hi Tangie! I didn't see this concert at MSG but I puchased a genuine unused ticket on E-bay for $50.00. I also purchased a genuine original unused ticket at the Royal Albert Hall for $70.00. As you can see, I love to collect concert tickets. ROF my dear!

Due to my age I couldn't see many of the band I love first time round, but luckily a lot of them finally relented and got back together. Sometimes their motives were pure; sometimes it was just for the cash. I don't care - it's just great to see the music played by the right people.

I've seen many reunions, but here are some of my favourites (if they played multiple dates I would always try to get the opening night).

LED ZEPPELIN

December 10th, O2 Arena, London.

For me this was the most anticipated of them all (but Pink Floyd came pretty close). What can I say that hasn't been said before. So exciting, so expensive, the best.

PINK FLOYD

July 2nd 2005, Hyde Park, London.

All four of them on stage again (for the last time) after 24 years of bad feeling. This is up there with Led Zep's O2 gig. Although I've seen Floyd without Roger Waters many times, and also Roger Waters solo too, this was the big one. A very emotional day. Not a bad supporting line up either: Madonna, Paul McCartney with U2 as his backing band, REM, The Who, etc. The tickets were all free and a friend won the opportunity to go. I bought him a few beers in gratitude that day.

CREAM

May 2nd 2005, Royal Albert Hall, London.

There was electricity in the air on that opening night. It felt like it an honour to be there in that wonderful venue, hearing their first full show since 1968. The band was great and the audience was great. A lot of people had travelled a long way to finally see the 3 of them on stage together.

VELVET UNDERGROUND

June 5th 1993, The Forum, London.

June 25th 1993, Glastonbury Festival, Somerset.

Both were very different shows. They only played together for approx. 1 month; the early dates were great as the band were happy to finally be playing again. Unfortunately by the time they got to Glastonbury Lou Reed and John Cale had fallen out again, and it showed. Mind you, that night we got The Velvet Underground, followed by Robert Plant, followed by The Black Crowes.

FAIRPORT CONVENTION (1969 Liege & Lief line up)

August 10th 2007, Cropredy Festival, Oxford.

I heard this album for the first time just after the Fairports announced this special one-off performance. I had to be there - it's such a magical record. Chris While replaced the late Sandy Denny, but the rest of the originals were playing. Chris did a fantastic job. What a happy day - there's a good vibe at Cropredy.

BLACK SABBATH

December 4th 1997, NEC Arena, Birmingham.

The Ozzy line-up. All 4 originals on stage for their first full show since Ozzy left. I think they played the US earlier that year, but without Bill Ward. The first of 2 nights and they decide to do this in their home town. I remember how cold it was outside the venue, but inside the crowd was mental. Happy days.

SEX PISTOLS

June 23rd 1996, Finsbury Park, London.

Theif first show on English soil since Christmas 1977. They opened with Bodies, so you can imagine how an already hyped up crowd exploded when this was played. The audience were almost as important as the band that day. Every punk in the land seemed to be there. Unfortunately, the Pistols have since become a bit too showbiz for my liking, but that was a fine day.

I've been to a few other reunions, but these are some of my favourites. Why not share a few memories about some that you've seen?

Wow. Those would be great shows regardless if they were reunions. Myself? Page & Plant don't really count so... erm, The Buzzcocks in the 90's. Great show though :D ! In my top 3 shows of all time. Wait, The Pixies in 2005 but I saw them in 1991 anyway.

I was at the Royal Albert Hall on 5/5/5 for one of the Cream performances. I'd waited 37 years for this. I didn't manage to get tickets when they originally went on sale (and it was not for the want of trying, I assure you) and was forced to fork out £500 for a pair of tickets through an agency. Not too bad, as I witnessed an American fan pay £1400 for a pair of tickets on the night (bloody touts).

RB

Reunion Shows:

Led Zeppelin - at the 02, or course.

The Animals 25th Reunion - Poughkeepsie, NY 1990's

Reunion Tours:

Cream - MSG, New York City, saw 2 nites in a row

Black Sabbath - 1998 2 shows

Van Halen - 2007 2 shows.

Yardbirds - 2007

Alice in Chains - 2007 2 shows.

Yes - The Union Tour - MSG with the rotating stage.

Plant/Page - 1995 tour 5 shows.

Page/Plant - 1998 Walking Into Clarksdale - 6 shows.

Bad Company - 2009

Woodstock 1999 had a reunion, possibly rage against the machine?, not sure

I missed Pink Floyd in 2005. Didn't even know it was happening until it was over with.

But I did see them in 1988 and 1993. Best light show ever in 88!

Archived