Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
zeppelincheetah

What are your opinions on Walking into Clarksdale?

Recommended Posts

I agree with Steve but(not Albini) and particularly Flares. Jones and  Lee were fine live  however starkly not up to

Page and Plant in the studio. The production and mix , although it's good to experiment, IMO just don't fit P/P.

Imagine Richards and Jagger with some mainstays of Zep studio production--- long tailed reverb, sometimes cavernous,

heavy delay, much ambient miking on the drums--- forget it. Not a bad album, some very good tracks, some interesting

departures as mentioned. The departures to me though don't sound all that successful. "Heart" yes, but some sound

like sketches, not complete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mithril46 said:

I agree with Steve but(not Albini) and particularly Flares. Jones and  Lee were fine live  however starkly not up to

Page and Plant in the studio. The production and mix , although it's good to experiment, IMO just don't fit P/P.

Imagine Richards and Jagger with some mainstays of Zep studio production--- long tailed reverb, sometimes cavernous,

heavy delay, much ambient miking on the drums--- forget it. Not a bad album, some very good tracks, some interesting

departures as mentioned. The departures to me though don't sound all that successful. "Heart" yes, but some sound

like sketches, not complete.

Yip, just so frustrating that the one time P&P go to record new material and the approach is flawed. Massive missed opportunity.

Has any rehearsal material surfaced from the WIC recording sessions? I've never heard any bootlegs from that, or indeed, from No Quarter 94.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to finally get Walking Into Clarksdale on vinyl today, much nicer than the CD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My biggest complaint with this album is that is is missing it's two best tracks, The Window & Whiskey from the Glass. Why on earth were these two tracks left off yet Burning Up and Sons of Freedom were included? Such a bizarre choice IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

Glad to finally get Walking Into Clarksdale on vinyl today, much nicer than the CD.

I've got 4 copies on vinyl (2 U.S. Pressings on Atlantic, and 2 UK pressings on Mercury). I love this album to bits, but I agree that the vinyl sounds much better than the CD; especially the UK pressing.....wow.

Sad that so few like this album, because I adore it for the fact that it is essentially an album of deep cuts, and it is so nice to see Page step into a different, more restrained approach, to his playing. Glad you like your vinyl copy; a great investment on vinyl as the prices have really climbed over the years.  

Edited by The Dark Lord

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The Dark Lord said:

I've got 4 copies on vinyl (2 U.S. Pressings on Atlantic, and 2 UK pressings on Mercury). I love this album to bits, but I agree that the vinyl sounds much better than the CD; especially the UK pressing.....wow.

Sad that so few like this album, because I adore it for the fact that it is essentially an album of deep cuts, and it is so nice to see Page step into a different, more restrained approach, to his playing. Glad you like your vinyl copy; a great investment on vinyl as the prices have really climbed over the years.  

A really inspired album for sure that I appreciate. I got the Atlantic pressing, but now would like to get the Mercury pressing in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, luvlz2 said:

A really inspired album for sure that I appreciate. I got the Atlantic pressing, but now would like to get the Mercury pressing in the future.

They are both good, but the Mercury pressing is definitely better. I kept a copy of each sealed, and have a play copy of each. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy belated 18th birthday of Walking Into Clarksdale!  (4/21/98). I'll celebrate to that with some Page/Plant, Walking Into Clarksdale era stuff!

 

 

 

Edited by luvlz2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I 've recently tried this album again. I get it but still seems more like a Plant solo album and that's not a knock. I can deal with the lackluster rhythm section but the production is horrid.

Jimmy Page in Abbey Road studio seems like a match made in heaven. I have no idea why he didn't produce the darn thing. I've never heard of any significant creative differences between Jimmy and Robert .

Like ITTOD it's full of nice little subtleties  but I agree with the sentiment that the album needs to be completely remixed. I think I would appreciate it more.

One thing you come to expect from Jimmy Page is a well produced end product even if the music leaves something to be to desired .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately, Jimmy didn't produce it. Even more unfortunately, Steve Albini did. No, I can't prove that was Robert's idea but, well, it seems unlikely to have been Jimmy's. Despite everything that's usually said about Albini understanding microphone placement and his ability to capture the sound of a band in a room, I feel that those are the very things he's just not much good at. Albini only ever gets a dull, flat, one-dimensional sound. Ironically, the man who really does understand microphone placement and capturing the sound of a band in a room is Jimmy Page... 

Edited by Brigante

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jimmywalnutz said:

Should I be ashamed or feel lame that I've never heard of Albini ?

Totally. ;)

Depends on the sort of music you're into generally.  If you're into Nirvana, The Pixies, The Breeders, Low, PJ Harvey etc. - the more 'grungey' end of the scale then you'll be hard pressed not to have heard of him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope. Zep Sabbath Maiden in that order. He may good or even great in that sub genre but on Clarksdale not so much.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got this CD, fortunately, used/cheap.  Its not "Zeppelin" for sure, so its more my bias probably, was expecting the same style/sound as their Zeppelin days.  I'll have to listen to it after I try to overcome my putting it in a Zepp box, need to put it in its own box and re-evaluate.  will check in later.   

 

HOWEVER, i did like "Please Read the Letter".  Also really liked the version with Alison Krauss.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i bought it a while ago, and gave it another go. it's quite a good album, but Jimmy seems a bit restrained throughout. Alot of the guitar parts seemed very un page like. Coverdale Page seemed more like something that Page would have wrote and performed. Also, page should have produced it. It seemes a bit Murky in some places.

Coverdale Page is much better, as is Outrider IMO. I'll always be a Page fan before a Zeppelin fan, and as a Artistic Statement for Page, Walking into Clarksdale seems very restrained.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sadly robert plants voice was nothing like what attracted me to led zeppelin by that point. a friend bought the album and we listed to it and there were bits and pieces that were ok but to be honest, had jimmy produced it and got someone else on vocals it would have been better.

it seemed like they were trying to go for a more spiritual thing (again probably more roberts idea) which I dont really care for all that much.  the stuff they did in zep like kashmir and no quarter were awesome but the later stuff just seems like they ran out of creative juice and were trying to squeeze out the last drops of what the had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...