Zep songs you "should" like, but don't?

dpat

This thread has evolved into an

Oh Brother :rolleyes:

It's beyond hero worship and fanaticism. It's gone nutso.

Just "this" thread is beyond hero worship and fanaticism? Well, fellow fanatics, we're doing a pretty good job then hiding our fanaticism. Woo Hoo.

Hey, don't blame me for any negativity. I'm trying to keep this upbeat and spread the love. LOL!

Let me recap:

1) Everyone is welcome here. Haters should probably hang out on a forum that they would enjoy more.

2) Not everyone is a fanatic.

3) Not everyone (even fanatics) are required to worship and adore every LZ song.

4) It's okay to not get why someone doesn't like a particular song.

5) There are a lot of fanatics here. The non-fanatics need to accept this. LOL!

6) We are a any avatar goes forum.

7) We (even the fanatics as BIGDAN said) are encouraged to discuss other bands. Bringing them up just reinforces LZ's superiority. Oops!!! (Barb searching frantically for the backspace key).

8) Peace

and

9) Love

Hey, don't blame me for any negativity. I'm trying to keep this upbeat and spread the love. LOL!

Let me recap:

1) Everyone is welcome here. Haters should probably hang out on a forum that they would enjoy more.

2) Not everyone is a fanatic.

3) Not everyone (even fanatics) are required to worship and adore every LZ song.

4) It's okay to not get why someone doesn't like a particular song.

5) There are a lot of fanatics here. The non-fanatics need to accept this. LOL!

6) We are a any avatar goes forum.

7) We (even the fanatics as BIGDAN said) are encouraged to discuss other bands. Bringing them up just reinforces LZ's superiority. Oops!!! (Barb searching frantically for the backspace key).

8) Peace

and

9) Love

I ain't blaming you my dear! (At least not yet! Ha Ha!) Where did you get that idea from? Ha Ha! You're starting to remind me of BIGDAN! Ha Ha! You're still one of my favorites dear! ROF!

I ain't blaming you my dear! (At least not yet! Ha Ha!) Where did you get that idea from? Ha Ha! You're starting to remind me of BIGDAN! Ha Ha! You're still one of my favorites dear! ROF!

I'm just saying...no I didn't think you were blaming me.

Oh, you'll know when you've pushed my buttons (i.e. Jimmy/Jimi).

I'm 43 and I shouldn't be using this expression.

Just keepin' it real Yo.

Peace out.

I'm just saying...no I didn't think you were blaming me.

Oh, you'll know when you've pushed my buttons (i.e. Jimmy/Jimi).

I'm 43 and I shouldn't be using this expression.

Just keepin' it real Yo.

Peace out.

You're still thinking about Jimmy Jimi? I already forgot about that! I keep it real also, even when I joke about it! Ha Ha! So what if you're 43 and saying Yo! I use Yo and I'm 48! Ha Ha! ROF my dear!

I'm not surprised/irked/annoyed/bothered/angered/upset that there are people here who think everything Led Zeppelin did is awesome and in their opinion, are the greatest band ever. I've never said as much, intimated as much or otherwise let on that I think that. I've always maintained that people can feel however they want about whatever they want and whoever they want, musically.

Whoaaaaaaaaaa slow down girly. Don't let your panties get twisted. I wasn't even thinking about YOU. Did I quote YOU? Did I mention YOU? No, I didn't. :D

So I have no frackin' clue what you're talking about or who you're directing it to,

Why should you...........seeing as I wasn't even responding to you? I was responding to another poster who quoted me without really understanding what I was actually saying. You are protesting too much about something that doesn't really concern you.

although considering the fact you mentioned Pink Floyd and The Rolling Stones, I'd have to imagine it's me and LesPaul.

You imagine too much. If I had meant you specifically then I would have named you.

Some of you get way too damn serious about this.

The irony of what you just wrote there somehow got lost in the seriousness of your first two paragraphs. :P

Hmmmmm I don't know why you quoted me because I wasn't really arguing that. I didn't say everyone here has to have Led Zeppelin as their number one band. I don't think that at all.

As I said already, what pees me off is people being surprised and even acting irked that some folks here on THIS (Led Zeppelin) board genuinely have the opinion that Led Zeppelin are the bee's bollocks and that nobody comes close to them and yes I have had that happen to me here. This opinion (that Led Zeppelin are the greatest) is to be entirely EXPECTED on a Led Zeppelin fan site. This isn't a Pink Floyd or a Rolling Stones message board. It's a LED ZEPPELIN message board. If you are going to get people thinking Led Zeppelin are gods who rule above all others.............well it's gonna be here isn't it????? :)

Big Dan,

Don't get me wrong. I don't 'dislike' the aforementioned songs. I just don't particularly care for them a great deal. I can understand why folks like those songs, but they aren't amongst my favourites. :)

Sorry - I did get what you were saying but sort of used your quote as a springboard for what I said.

I wouldnt wish that on anybody mate. :lol:

Kind Regards, Danny

For Me It's:

Out On The Tiles: For me, it has a very unenjoyable feel to it with really lame lyrics. I have never enjoyed this song. Coda had better songs that could have replaced it IMO. It sounds poorly produced.

Hats Off To (Roy) Harper: I just hate it.

The Song Remains The Same: It starts out wonderfully, but becomes a song that makes me want to drown a sack of kittens. Robert's voice was usually top notch, but not in this song. Brutal and pointless, it should have stayed as an instrumental.

Black Country Woman: I think it's the lyrics, but i just usually skip over it.

Royal Orleans: To me, it's soooo boring. I just get nothing from the song.

South Bend Saurez: It's a Zep song i can't see the big deal about. I just can't get into it. I don't hate it, but i am not a fan and rarely listen to it.

With that said, only six songs out of a entire catalog, not too bad. Being the greatest band EVER doesn't mean you have to be perfect. They certainly weren't but listen to the rest of their catalog and find out what being close to perfection is. :thumbsup:

I forgot about "The Rover." It starts off "OK"-- almost like LZ was trying to imitate other arena rock bands from that same era: Journey, Bad Company, Heart, AC/DC...

But then it hits that chorus/bridge thing ("If we could all join hands...") and I swear that Robert is singing in a different key than Jimmy and Jonesey are playing in.

One of the very reasons I love Led Zeppelin so much and what (to me) makes them stand apart from so many other great and even legendary bands is that they honestly don't have a song I dislike. As many have mentioned, there's surely songs I like better than others in the catalogue but none that I can say I don't get at least a little something out of. There's no song that I wasn't happy to hear and which I don't, at least now and then, come back to again (if just for an occassional listen).

This isn't meant to avoid the question or not play along. I'm not claiming Led Zeppelin is and was 100% perfect. Nothing is 100% perfect. But if I were to claim that there is a song(s) they did that I don't like (at least somewhat), I'd honestly be lying. Perhaps I'm just an eternal optimist but it's just one of the reasons I think they're so great actually! The fact they don't have one...

Hello All! :wave:

We are all entitled to our opinion. :D

Call me a NON WAVERING DIE HARD person who loves and respects the music of The Mighty Zeppelin. But I cannot think of ANY ballad from LZ that I do not musically love. I literally listen to them daily and have for almost 4 decades. If I am in a particular mood one song might make me think of something different than another day. I also do not forward past a song to get to another one. I appreciate the order that they put the songs on the (albums, CD's) and want to hear it that way...just my way.

I love a lot of music and admit that it is mostly classic rock as that is what I grew up with. But LZ to me is just absolutely musical genius. I can't imagine the rock/blues world without them. Who is going to give you a better guitar riff than Jimmy Page? Who can beat a set of drums like John Bonham? Who can play instruments to the depth that JPJ does.Roberts voice was another instrument and not to be imitated.

I respect everyone's opinion, but for me ALL of the MUSIC of Led Zeppelin, what some would consider a weaker song, to me is better than any other bands best song.

Amen to that sister

Funny thing about Led Zeppelin - you may think you are sick of a song - Black Dog or STH for example, and then you read something another fan says and you get a whole new outlook on the song. I never wanted to hear BD again and then I read about the odd time signature changes and the turnaround nature of the riff. Then I listened more closely and I got the tab and tried playing it. Now it just knocks me out every time I hear it.

Funny thing about Led Zeppelin - you may think you are sick of a song - Black Dog or STH for example, and then you read something another fan says and you get a whole new outlook on the song. I never wanted to hear BD again and then I read about the odd time signature changes and the turnaround nature of the riff. Then I listened more closely and I got the tab and tried playing it. Now it just knocks me out every time I hear it.

That's a great point Janet! And very true. There's always two sides to the "overplayed song/album" thing. On one hand it's easy for people to sometimes dismiss or even dislike truly great songs or albums simply because they get over-commercialized or played a lot etc. But on the other hand, sometimes things are commercialized or overplayed a lot for a reason and someone can miss the truly great subtleties or music itself if they never try to hear the song or album just for itself rather than what others may say or label it as, etc.

I think Led Zeppelin provides several great examples of this, partly because all their music is so great and yet so layered, diverse and sometimes acquired in taste over time. They also have been historically "misunderstood" sometimes by casual listeners and rock n roll critics with the whole "they were just the fathers of hard rock/heavy metal" thing and thus are sometimes enjoyed very blindly or one dimensional by people. As you mentioned, a song like Black Dog or Whole Lotta Love etc are awesome songs for several reasons than just the fact they groove and rock harder than anything else. There's nothing wrong with enjoying the songs for just those reasons because they're all very true but it's also the production, the seamless structures, the subtle sound effects, the depth, the time signatures itself etc that really enhances the lustful "grooves" of those songs. Yet it's easy for a lot of people to just get tired of such songs or think that they're simply over-played classic hard rock songs whose only purpose is just to pleasingly rattle your windows. But even with those songs, there's so much more behind them then just a "groove coming out of a Marshall amplifier on 10". Sometimes it does take a break or a step back to "re-appreciate" an album like Led Zeppelin IV (or II) as if you aren't aware that it's even popular or top-selling. Of course, it's impossible to completely block out prior knowledge or influences but it's often eye-opening if you can...

And while I'm biased because I particularly love it, I also think an album like In Through the Out Door can be a perfect candidate for the "greater when you take a step back and listen to it for awhile with wondrous ears" mentality rather than just assuming or talking yourself into believing that it's probably the worst Zeppelin album because everyone else seems to think so, or because it was last, or because it was too Jonesy-oriented, or because it had too many ballad-like songs etc etc etc. Of course I don't find any of those preceding things to be "bad" to begin with so maybe that's why I might overly enjoy it. Still, I think several of Led Zeppelin's songs (and a few albums) fall under that "better than what you realize if you only let over-commercialization guide you" umbrella. That's the beauty of their music to me - that is still reveals it's timelessness even after the one millionth listen and even reveals itself in new ways and makes new impressions on you despite any prior "stereotypes" that may have been ingrained onto it.

The Love That I Found-

I read what you said about ITTOD and I have a similar experience with HOTH. It seems overlooked as it was released between two masterpieces, but the first three songs fit so seamlessly together, followed by good time classics that just flow, the solemnity of No Quarter, and ending with one of the greatest songs ever. Another masterpiece!

The Love That I Found-

I read what you said about ITTOD and I have a similar experience with HOTH. It seems overlooked as it was released between two masterpieces, but the first three songs fit so seamlessly together, followed by good time classics that just flow, the solemnity of No Quarter, and ending with one of the greatest songs ever. Another masterpiece!

Indeed! Houses Of the Holy is awesome! Is probably my favorite album besides In Through The Out Door. It does have a great flow and mood to the whole thing and certainly some of my very favorite Zeppelin songs of all-time (The Rain Song, The Ocean, The Song Remains the Same, Over the Hills And Far Away, D'yer Mak'er) probably in that order of preference, are off this one album! It's almost a "greatest hits" record disguised as a studio album actually! tongue.gif It's that good! Of course the same could pretty much be said for all their albums really...

But yeah, those first three songs on the album are particularly classic and timeless. Of course I always have to listen to the whole thing but I do think the first three are particularly the "heart" of the album. And would probably be my vote for perhaps the three greatest consecutive Zeppelin songs on any one side or album. Although, again, side two of my beloved In Through the Outdoor (Carouselambra, All My Love and I'm Gonna Crawl) immediately comes to mind as well...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived