To end Zeppelin

dan67

I hadn't thought much about this until the O2 reunion and it seems that its Robert that is the only one who won't do a full blown Zep come back. And it has probably always been this way since Bonham's death which leads me to wonder if the seeds to end Zep were already planted in Robert's mind before Bonzo passed away.

I can only speculate. Others might have a better take on what I have to say. I see the early Zep as a young and hungry band with a lot of fire and creativity( some of this I take from bootleg recordings of early to later years). In the later years it seems that substance abuse was becoming as issue(the fire and creativity dwindling?). The rock and roll lifestyle had already had its casualties and in the later years two names closer to Zep had passed in Elvis and Keith Moon. I can only imagine what the whole atmosphere was like even beyond the members of the group.

I believe Robert's son passed away while he was on the road with Zeppelin. A terrible thing but even more so when a parent is unable to be there. An event such as this can cause one to re examine one's priorities.

Already having a fill of fame and fortune for a decade what matters money and fame?

The hugeness of Zeppelin may have also become a burden to freshness as the demand to play certain songs ad nauseam continued from the fans.

Bonzo and Robert were close no doubt and Robert loved having him as his drummer which may have kept Zep afloat of Bonzo had lived. But Bonzo's death may have been the last straw for a situation that was becoming languid. I don't believe that Robert was completely open about his reasons with Page and Jones. He simply and staunchly refused to go on as Zeppelin without Bonzo. The other members had no choice hence the group's statement. However, I do remember at the time rumours in some print media of other drummers being contacted. If these calls were made I do not believe Robert had anything to do with them.

For Jimmy, I think that in Zeppelin he found his ultimate bandmates. He lost Bonzo and he did not want also to lose Robert so maybe he contacted other drummers.

It seems that Jimmy and Jones would both do a Zep comeback so what to make of that group statement of being unable to continue without Bonham?

Robert seems whimsical and elusive in interviews sometimes. Did he say that he sold his stake in Zeppelin a long time ago? I don't believe he actually sold anything. To have someone else control his image and music from Zep....no. Someone let someone in who would simply harangue Jimmy to put out archival material simply to milk the Zeppelin cash cow?...no. I don't see that. I merely read that as Robert saying he won't do a full blown Zep comeback and that his reasons are personal that go beyond Bonzo not being in the drum chair. And I don't blame him at all.

But Bonzo's death may have been the last straw for a situation that was becoming languid. I don't believe that Robert was completely open about his reasons with Page and Jones. He simply and staunchly refused to go on as Zeppelin without Bonzo. The other members had no choice hence the group's statement. However, I do remember at the time rumours in some print media of other drummers being contacted. If these calls were made I do not believe Robert had anything to do with them. For Jimmy, I think that in Zeppelin he found his ultimate bandmates. He lost Bonzo and he did not want also to lose Robert so maybe he contacted other drummers.

It seems that Jimmy and Jones would both do a Zep comeback so what to make of that group statement of being unable to continue without Bonham?

Robert seems whimsical and elusive in interviews sometimes. Did he say that he sold his stake in Zeppelin a long time ago? I don't believe he actually sold anything. To have someone else control his image and music from Zep....no. Someone let someone in who would simply harangue Jimmy to put out archival material simply to milk the Zeppelin cash cow?...no. I don't see that. I merely read that as Robert saying he won't do a full blown Zep comeback and that his reasons are personal that go beyond Bonzo not being in the drum chair. And I don't blame him at all.

Bonham's death was the last straw for Led Zeppelin; Page, Plant and Jones attended the funeral on Friday, October 10th.

On Friday, November 7th, they convened on the island of Jersey to come to terms with the loss and think things over. Later that same month Peter Grant, Page, Plant and Jones held a band meeting at the Savoy hotel in London and they conveyed to Peter their unanimous decision to disband. The press release reporting they could not continue as they were was issued on Thursday, December 4th. Rumours of other drummers having been contacted to replace John Bonham were completely unfounded.

Robert Plant sold his rights to sales of the Led Zeppelin back catalog at the onset of his solo career circa 1981.

Robert Plant sold his rights to sales of the Led Zeppelin back catalog at the onset of his solo career circa 1981.

Was that because he needed the money or was leaving Led Zeppelin in the past? Seems like a death nail to me. Or was it because he thought Zeppelin had no ongoing legacy? Strange indeed.

I see it as an event that signaled "The Party's Over", for Robert anyway.

Was that because he needed the money or was leaving Led Zeppelin in the past? Seems like a death nail to me. Or was it because he thought Zeppelin had no ongoing legacy? Strange indeed.

I think you meant death knell. laugh.gif Anyway, I wouldn't say he "needed" the money, I'd say he wanted it to launch his solo career at the height of New Wave music era. Who knew something called compact disc would come along and turn classic rock back catalogs into goldmines.

I think you meant death knell. laugh.gif Anyway, I wouldn't say he "needed" the money, I'd say he wanted it to launch his solo career at the height of New Wave music era.

HaHa! It's a hybrid! ;)

The worst of both worlds.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Death+Nail

And it looks like you somewhat qualify my choice of "needing" in that you say he "wanted it to launch his solo career...". So the extra funding might have been the reasoning. Hmmm.

Still, no matter, no wonder he didn't seem to care for re-unions on a mass scale. No income from catalog sales!

HaHa! It's a hybrid! wink.gif

The worst of both worlds.

http://www.urbandict...term=Death+Nail

And it looks like you somewhat qualify my choice of "needing" in that you say he "wanted it to launch his solo career...". So the extra funding might have been the reasoning. Hmmm.

Still, no matter, no wonder he didn't seem to care for re-unions on a mass scale. No income from catalog sales!

I don't remember precisely when he sold those rights, but it was circa '81-'83. He may have been cashing out in anticipation of his Spring 1983 divorce but I'm not going to get into that here.

While it's true a full-fledged Led Zeppelin reunion at any time would stimulate back catalog sales, the big money to be made would come from touring.

I don't remember precisely when he sold those rights, but it was circa '81-'83. He may have been cashing out in anticipation of his Spring 1983 divorce but I'm not going to get into that here.

While it's true a full-fledged Led Zeppelin reunion at any time would stimulate back catalog sales, the big money to be made would come from touring.

That would be right Steve, I see now. Unlike the old days where touring basically encouraged record sales as the main income producer for bands. No doubt it was Peter Grant's negotiating with promoters to get, what?, 90% of the gate for "Led Zeppelin".

I can't see Robert needing the money. I'd say he did it to distance himself from Zeppelin and in his mind, give himself a fresh start. He loved Zeppelin and hated Zeppelin at the same time. He loved Zeppelin for the fine music they created, for all the fun and crazy times, for the adventure. He hated Zeppelin for the bad times, the involvement in drugs which dragged the band down, and the death of his child and best friend. I know that's how I'd feel about the situation.

I did not know this! Now, I'll have to come up with another excuse to tell my husband when I buy yet another Zeppelin CD, other than, "But, I'm helping Robert out with his retirement, honey." (Just joking of course, as the man has plenty of money. My husband just tires of my LZ/RP obsession at times. B) )

I personally can't see Page or Jones wanting to go on with another drummer (to the point of looking for one) just a few months after Bonzo's death.

I've often thought about this and my personal opinion is that if they had been more of a cohesive unit at the time of Bonzo's death, then they would have continued to be a band. Bonzo's death was the straw that broke the camels back and at that time, the band didn't have the strong foundation that would have been necessary to overcome this huge loss.

People and "groups" respond differently to adversity. At that time and place, they couldn't have continued as they were. I wonder if it would have happened in '73, if they could have continued.

You also have to wonder how the loss of Plants son (and the response by the members of the band) played into the decision (Plants) to break up the band.

Bonham's death was the last straw for Led Zeppelin; Page, Plant and Jones attended the funeral on Friday, October 10th.

On Friday, November 7th, they convened on the island of Jersey to come to terms with the loss and think things over. Later that same month Peter Grant, Page, Plant and Jones held a band meeting at the Savoy hotel in London and they conveyed to Peter their unanimous decision to disband. The press release reporting they could not continue as they were was issued on Thursday, December 4th. Rumours of other drummers having been contacted to replace John Bonham were completely unfounded.

Thanks for the answer. However, hasn't that unanimous decision changed? Of course that is the official report that had to be made. I'm sure the fellas don't tell everything that happens between them and if Robert was the most staunch about not continuing Zeppelin would Jimmy then throw him to the media and create an unmendable rift?

When the Unledded project happened was it a unanimous decision between Jimmy and Robert to "Forget their friend's phone number?" If I had to guess I would say that Robert did not want Jones involved and Jimmy had no choice otherwise he loses Robert altogether.

Its just that unanimous decision makes me wonder since it seems that Page and Jones have thrown it to the wayside.

I can't really agree with the point that it solely rested on Robert's decision. It seems to me that Robert had the most extensive recording and touring career in the post Zep Era.

Hello.

I'm not sure what relation Robert's solo career bares to the decision. Would you say that Jimmy had an equal desire to end the band? I do not get that impression. Again, I believe that in Zeppelin Jimmy found his ultimate bandmates. Yes, Bonham was gone but I do not believe he wanted to split with Robert; he merely had no choice.

I can't see Robert needing the money. I'd say he did it to distance himself from Zeppelin and in his mind, give himself a fresh start. He loved Zeppelin and hated Zeppelin at the same time. He loved Zeppelin for the fine music they created, for all the fun and crazy times, for the adventure. He hated Zeppelin for the bad times, the involvement in drugs which dragged the band down, and the death of his child and best friend. I know that's how I'd feel about the situation.

Where has Robert ever said he hated Led Zeppelin? I've never seen him say anything remotely resembling that sentiment. The band didn't kill his son or best friend either - those events happened during Zep's existence but it's not fair or accurate to blame the band.

I've often thought about this and my personal opinion is that if they had been more of a cohesive unit at the time of Bonzo's death, then they would have continued to be a band. Bonzo's death was the straw that broke the camels back and at that time, the band didn't have the strong foundation that would have been necessary to overcome this huge loss.

People and "groups" respond differently to adversity. At that time and place, they couldn't have continued as they were. I wonder if it would have happened in '73, if they could have continued.

You also have to wonder how the loss of Plants son (and the response by the members of the band) played into the decision (Plants) to break up the band.

The decision to end Zep was made by ALL the remaining members, not Robert alone.

Where has Robert ever said he hated Led Zeppelin? I've never seen him say anything remotely resembling that sentiment. The band didn't kill his son or best friend either - those events happened during Zep's existence but it's not fair or accurate to blame the band.

The decision to end Zep was made by ALL the remaining members, not Robert alone.

Except Robert was more intent on keeping it that way? I don't blame him but I think reasons beyond Bonham's passing contributed.

Except Robert was more intent on keeping it that way? I don't blame him but I think reasons beyond Bonham's passing contributed.

Essentially correct - Robert has been the only one of the three consistently opposed to a reformation, although

he did agree to do so during a band meeting in January 1991 before changing his mind later the same day. This

pushed Jimmy into entering the Coverdale/Page collaboration less than three months later. Three years later,

Robert and Jimmy elected to collaborate without JPJ. Regardless, I seek only to reiterate it was a unanimous decision to disband in 1980.

Essentially correct - Robert has been the only one of the three consistently opposed to a reformation, although

he did agree to do so during a band meeting in January 1991 before changing his mind later the same day. This

pushed Jimmy into entering the Coverdale/Page collaboration less than three months later. Three years later,

Robert and Jimmy elected to collaborate without JPJ. Regardless, I seek only to reiterate it was a unanimous decision to disband in 1980.

I was aware of the media statement as coming from all band members but was assuming that media statements are media statements and don't reflect the whole story as only a band member would know.

We don't know the story behind the door and we don't need to know. There could be thousands of speculations of "was it..." and "what if...", still it changes nothing. Led Zeppelin was no more when Bonzo died, we all know it.

I was aware of the media statement as coming from all band members but was assuming that media statements are media statements and don't reflect the whole story as only a band member would know.

At this point I assume further posts are pointless because it seems you simply can't accept the truth.

First of all, I totally respect Robert for his decision to constantly make new music and to not live in the past.

To me the true essence of the issue is was Bonzo's death the reason for them to end the band or an excuse to end the band. At that point in time if they had been a solid, cohesive unit they would most likely have found an inner strength to keep the band together. Unfortunately, at that particular point in time they seemed be a weak unit that obviously could not overcome the huge loss of Bonzo.

They only had to look at The Who to find an almost identical situation to theirs and I don't think anyone would have critized them for bringing in a new drummer.

Based on 30 years of words and actions from JP and Robert, it certainly isn't a stretch to assume that Robert was the driving force behind the breakup...regardless of the Press release.

Based on 30 years of words and actions from JP and Robert, it certainly isn't a stretch to assume that Robert was the driving force behind the breakup...regardless of the Press release.

Since you include "assume", others may or may not feel that way, but it qualifies YOUR opinion on the matter and that makes it valid. You didn't say Robert WAS the driving force, but assumed.

That's reasonable.

And from another thread about Robert's assumed distancing,

I don't want to rain on anybody's parade but I don't think the o2 performance is going to be officially released anytime soon. Obviously Jimmy, Robert, and JPJ would have to agree to release it and IMHO I just don't see Robert being onboard with it. Look at it this way...would Robert want to release, and immortalize, what is likely to be the last Zeppelin performance and while a great concert to many showcases his reduced vocal range and capacity? He's obviously going to want to release his best work recorded when Zep was at the peak of their playing ability and his vocal range was intact. That's pretty much what they did with their last DVD...compiled the best they had and put it out. Robert believes, and one would have to agree, that he sang Zeppelin best when he was a young man and that's where he wants to leave it and as much as I would like to see an O2 DVD, and new material, and a tour I understand his point.

Why are you assuming it's Robert who is the one vetoing an official release of the concert? We have no idea what's behind their decision not to release it and it's pointless to speculate or point fingers with no concrete facts behind it.

Look at davidscott's post again. He explains his feelings on the matter very clearly, even as disputed as it may be. He's also made an assumption and in other threads posters are speculating on reasons for Led Zeppelin's breakup and their reluctance to reform for ongoing tours etc. There's nothing wrong with wondering and posting opinions and as I see it, many are explained and qualified from one's own opinion!

Based on 30 years of words and actions from JP and Robert, it certainly isn't a stretch to assume that Robert was the driving force behind the breakup.

A unanimous decision was reached in Autumn 1980, to keep inferring otherwise is not only a stretch but a damned lie.

Archived