To end Zeppelin

dan67

"After John died the other three went off to Jersey to think things over. When they returned I hired a suite at the Savoy Hotel in London, making sure no one found out about the meeting. They told me that without Bonzo there was no desire on their part to carry on. It could never be the same again. I was relieved. That was exactly the way I felt".

-- Peter Grant

"We could have had another band with another drummer, but it wouldn't have been Zeppelin. That died with John".

--John Paul Jones

"It was like staggering away from a great explosion, with your eardrums ringing. I found myself standing on a street corner, clutching twelve years of my life with a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye and not knowing which way to go. The dream was over and everything had gone".

--Robert Plant

"If I even looked at a guitar, it would remind me of a dear friend I had just lost"

--Jimmy Page

"After John died the other three went off to Jersey to think things over. When they returned I hired a suite at the Savoy Hotel in London, making sure no one found out about the meeting. They told me that without Bonzo there was no desire on their part to carry on. It could never be the same again. I was relieved. That was exactly the way I felt".

-- Peter Grant

"We could have had another band with another drummer, but it wouldn't have been Zeppelin. That died with John".

--John Paul Jones

"It was like staggering away from a great explosion, with your eardrums ringing. I found myself standing on a street corner, clutching twelve years of my life with a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye and not knowing which way to go. The dream was over and everything had gone".

--Robert Plant

"If I even looked at a guitar, it would remind me of a dear friend I had just lost"

--Jimmy Page

Nice Job Steve!!!

I would hope your succinct reasoning would be the end to nonsense but there are too many conspiracy theorist who ignore truth. It seems it is easier to believe rumors and place blame on a surviving member. Let's continue to stir the muck and wallow in it. Doesn't' that sound like fun?

I don't remember precisely when he sold those rights, but it was circa '81-'83. He may have been cashing out in anticipation of his Spring 1983 divorce but I'm not going to get into that here.

While it's true a full-fledged Led Zeppelin reunion at any time would stimulate back catalog sales, the big money to be made would come from touring.

Steve,

Just to clarify. Plant sold the rights to all his back catalogue of Zeppelin albums or cds? Meaning from say 1983 onwards he didn't make any money from Zeppelin Album/CD sales from that day forward??

Thanks for your time and look forward to your reply.

Cheers,

Steve,

Just to clarify. Plant sold the rights to all his back catalogue of Zeppelin albums or cds? Meaning from say 1983 onwards he didn't make any money from Zeppelin Album/CD sales from that day forward??

Thanks for your time and look forward to your reply.

Cheers,

Yes, he sold his rights to receive future royalties from sales of Led Zeppelin's back catalog - the ten original releases -regardless of format. It's my understanding he does receive royalties from the post-1983 releases and did retain his

rights to receive royalties from publishing.

Yes, he sold his rights to receive future royalties from sales of Led Zeppelin's back catalog - the ten original releases -regardless of format. It's my understanding he does receive royalties from the post-1983 releases and did retain his

Steve,

Thanks very much for your quick reply. I always enjoy reading your posts; ALWAYS full of excellent worthy information too.

I'm starting to see things differently now.

Cheers,

If I'm not mistaken, he also maintained creative control as far as decisions involving Zep's music.

If I'm not mistaken, he also maintained creative control as far as decisions involving Zep's music.

This is interesting. Must be some very legal fine print there. Maintaining control on future Zeppelin decisions, yet receiving no money from the first 10 Led Zeppelin albums/cds after 1983.

This is interesting. Must be some very legal fine print there. Maintaining control on future Zeppelin decisions, yet receiving no money from the first 10 Led Zeppelin albums/cds after 1983.

I don't know the specifics but it seems to me someone here I believe posted it or it's been written in articles. Perhaps someone can shed some more accurate light.

Coda completed their exiting recording contract with Atlantic. In fact it was for that reason alone - contractual obligation - that it was ever released in the first place. Subsequent releases starting with the Led Zeppelin Boxed Set in 1990 are under other contracts and as I understand it Robert's rights to get royalties from sales of those releases were included within those new contracts. He had only sold his rights to receive royalties from sales of the back catalog releases - the ten original releases - but retained all other rights.

Steve,

You are a wealth of information.

Thanks again,

Coda completed their exiting recording contract with Atlantic. In fact it was for that reason alone - contractual obligation - that it was ever released in the first place. Subsequent releases starting with the Led Zeppelin Boxed Set in 1990 are under other contracts and as I understand it Robert's rights to get royalties from sales of those releases were included within those new contracts. He had only sold his rights to receive royalties from sales of the back catalog releases - the ten original releases - but retained all other rights.

...it could explain his reluctance to tour with Led Zeppelin...

This is why:

"The reason that it (Led Zeppelin) stopped was because we were incomplete, and we've been incomplete now for 29 years...I think the thing about it is really, is that to visit old ground, it's a very incredibly delicate thing to do, and the disappointment that could be there once you commit to that (reformation) and the comparisons to something that was basically fired by youth and a different kind of exuberance to now, its very hard to go

back and meet that head on and do it justice." -- Robert Plant, February 2008

"It would be a criminal act to break up this band." - Jimmy Page

I recall a conversation that supposedly happened sometime in 1981 with Page and Steve Winwood discussing Zeppelin's future. Winwood was telling Page (paraphrasing) "if you were to get another drummer, not another Bonzo, but someone with a real funk background, you could continue in some fashion.." to which Page responded "Led Zeppelin died with Bonzo."

At this point I assume further posts are pointless because it seems you simply can't accept the truth.

My original post did not involve a denial of that media statement.

Our cat "Fluffy" dies and we are obviously upset; all of us. But my daughter takes it very hard. My wife and I know that time heals all wounds. In time, perhaps, we will get a new one. My daughter does not want to hear this. So, our official statement to family and friends is that we as a family have decided not to get a new pet because we stick together as a family. However, "Debbie" seems to be coming around now.

Jimmy and Jonesy were ready to go out as Zeppelin and tour in 2007. And when it didn't happen it seemed as if they left Robert holding the bag to the media. What did he say? I wish the 3 Js well in what they decide to do? Time is getting short. Did they pull out some stops to try to convince Robert?

I could accept that 1980 statement at face value if they all had stuck to it but obviously they all have not.

It is my impression that Jimmy would've done Zeppelin again a long time ago(perhaps sometime mid to late 80s).

Nor do I believe Jimmy and Robert were in agreement to leave John Paul Jones out of the Unledded project. I think that was Robert's decision. Was the unanimity breaking down even then?

Again, I don't blame Robert at all. To do Zeppelin now might not be wise. Especially since it was "fired by youth".

Are you serious by comparing your family losing your pet cat(my condolence here anyway) to Led Zeppelin losing their drummer and Robert losing his best friend?

And about the Unledded project: Robert Plant wanted to set up a collaboration with Jimmy Page but without being Led Zeppelin, Jimmy said ok and they went with John Paul Jones. Thus, they made the decision together and they were in agreement.

And at last, it doesn't matter what you, or the other fans think, the history is made and no one can change it now.

Jimmy and Jonesy were ready to go out as Zeppelin and tour in 2007.

Well, Led Zeppelin reformations were also attempted in Jan 1986 and Jan 1990, and the three did reunite to perform at special events in '85, '88, '95, & '07, but I see all of this as irrelevant to spinning the breakup of Led Zeppelin in 1980 as Robert Plant's decision. It was a unanimous decision in the wake of Bonham's death. Certainly Jimmy Page has wanted to reform in the 29 years since, with JPJ not adamantly opposed and Robert momentarily agreeing at least once (at a band meeting in London in Jan 1991).

Edited: Typo corrected to read Jan 1991.

I'm a little vague on Plant's selling his rights to the LZ back catalogue. As co-songwriter, doesn't he still have a say as to how the songs are licensed? And doesn't Plant still have a vote on the creation and marketing of "new" Zeppelin releases (e.g. the DVD, BBC Sessions, etc.)? I seem to remember him being listed on the UK's "rich list," with a net worth in the neighborhood of Page's and Jones', which suggests to me he continues to get money from the sale of Zeppelin music rather than just his solo work. I understand that concert performances can bring in as much or more for musicians than sales of their old records, but I find it hard to believe Plant has relinquished all financial stake in the Led Zeppelin brand.

Perhaps Steve could clarify the distinctions between the various rights artists can own (or sell).

The one and only true Led Zeppelin died with John Bonham in 1980. Why can't people just accept that fact.

Yes, but accepting that may take much of the life blood from this site. So much of what goes on on this site is speculation on Led Zeppelin's future. This speculation is great PR for Led Zeppelin sales.

I seem to remember him being listed on the UK's "rich list," with a net worth in the neighborhood of Page's and Jones', which suggests to me he continues to get money from the sale of Zeppelin music rather than just his solo work. I understand that concert performances can bring in as much or more for musicians than sales of their old records, but I find it hard to believe Plant has relinquished all financial stake in the Led Zeppelin brand.

Plant has done the most touring of any of the surviving members since 1980. I'd say he made a ton to compensate his sold Zeppelin shares.

Archived