Bonzo's Birthday Shows

I was just wondering if anyone had any more info on the two other shows that Zep played on bonham's birthday

5/31/69

5/31/77

I think I'm more interested in the show from 77 cuz it seemed that they were on a high ever since the 5/30 show. Does anyone know if this show was ever taped? I don't think it's a boot yet but maybe someone is hiding it?

I was just wondering if anyone had any more info on the two other shows that Zep played on bonham's birthday

5/31/69

5/31/77

I think I'm more interested in the show from 77 cuz it seemed that they were on a high ever since the 5/30 show. Does anyone know if this show was ever taped? I don't think it's a boot yet but maybe someone is hiding it?

I think you mean 5/31/73? Zep never played a gig on the 31st of may 1977.

Alas, I'm pretty sure that if the Greensboro '77 show had been taped, it'd be out there, if for no other reason that it could be marketed as "Bonzo's Birthday Part II" or something like that. It's probably a good show -I envision another marathon, 30 minute Landover style drum solo for the occasion!

I've said it before: I'd reckon, as time goes on, that the 'well' of uncirculated Zep shows will become even more few and far between than they already are. Stumbling across shows like Louisville '77 or the third night in Chicago '75 were likely total flukes. The tapes simply aren't getting any younger...

• 2 weeks later...

Alas, I'm pretty sure that if the Greensboro '77 show had been taped, it'd be out there, if for no other reason that it could be marketed as "Bonzo's Birthday Part II" or something like that. It's probably a good show -I envision another marathon, 30 minute Landover style drum solo for the occasion!

My dentist actually went to that show. Last time I went, I had on a 77 Tour shirt & he started tellin me the story. He said that Robert said "Ok, today is Bonzo's birthday, so lets all sing Happy Birthday to him.."

'And we sure did!!'

• 10 months later...

I wish so much that a bootleg of this show would come out! I know someone who went to this show and they said it was a great show and the band was really partying. They said Bonzo didn't show up until about 3 hours after the rest of the band, but they really put on a great show once Bonzo finally got there. Sounds like it might be one of the top shows of the tour to me. It's a shame we can't all listen to Bonzo's Birthday part II.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I love the review there:

News Report: On May 31, Led Zeppelin made its first Greensboro appearance in over three years. We weaved through the flow of people and worked our way to the very top of the coliseum's second level.

Seated, we began a nervous anticipation of the appearance of Led Zeppelin, but were told via the supersonic loudspeakers that Led Zeppelin had been delayed. I had expected that, really. I've never been to a concert that started on time, and my string wouldn't be broken. The wait continued, dragging on while everyone sweltered in the heat of the coliseum and wondered if the air conditioning had been cut off.

The 17,000-plus crowd became impatient. Some were soothed by recorded music blaring from the loudspeakers; others wandered around trying to find decent seating; sought out friends for shout conversations; smoked; drank; and tossed Frisbees across the floor. And, some overly enthusiastic fans shot firecrackers periodically, the shots reverberating throughout the coliseum and sounding like an afternoon on the firing range.

Those fans on the floor pushed toward the stage in surges, crushing those on the front row to the point that security people, dressed in black T-shirts with Led Zeppelin printed in white across the chest, lifted those who were overcome by the crunch over the unsturdy fence. A concerned announcer kept asking those on the floor to move back and finally wound up playing a game of Simon Says, getting most everyone to take two giant steps backwards to relieve the pressure on the front stage area.

Finally, at 9:17, the house lights dimmed and the roar of the crowd was almost deafening. And when the multi-colored spotlight beams fell upon the stage, there stood John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant with John Bonham sitting behind his drums.

Above the din of cheers, screams, whistles and applause, Led Zeppelin opened with "The Song Remains The Same," and the animosity harbored because of the long wait was flushed and the concert spirit returned.

As soon as the group finished their opening number, Plant the lead singer, strutted to center stage and shouted, "Hello Greensboro," sending a ripple of cheers and applause through the coliseum that gave Led Zeppelin a hearty North Carolina welcome. Plant apologized for the lateness, explaining that they had lost some people in New York and had to wait for them before departing for Greensboro — thus the hour-plus delay.

Forgiven, Led Zeppelin launched into what was to be a three-hour and 27-minute concert — a show of sight and sound that left the Greensboro crowd dazed at their charismatic showmanship.

The special effects and lighting were unbelievable. Blue green, red, yellow and white spotlights from above the stage bathed the sweating performers in an eerie aura, blending in with the heavy metal sounds that emanated from the loudspeakers so forcefully that any position in the coliseum was ideal to enjoy the music and bear the words sum by Plant.

While John Paul Jones warmed up for "No Quarter," the fog machine covered the stage with a heavy white cloud'. During his solo bit, laser beams shot upwards and bounced off the high coliseum ceiling.

Jimmy Page had his moments also, performing almost non-stop with his assortment of guitars and showing off his expertise with the electric instruments. And, drummer John Bonham launched into his solo to allow the others a needed break. To add to the effect, Bonham's stage was mechanically thrust from the rear to center stage where fans were able to see him perform.

At 12:10 a.m, Led Zeppelin closed with "Stairway To Heaven" amidst cheers as loud as those at the outlet of the concert. Suddenly the concert was over. But a steady chant mixed with a rhythmic hand-clapping brought the foursome from the wings for an encore.

Here it's been 12 days since seeing and hearing Led Zeppelin, and the ears still ringing, but it was worth it! (E. Marshall, The Journal, June 12, 1977)

• 2 years later...

My dentist actually went to that show. Last time I went, I had on a 77 Tour shirt & he started tellin me the story. He said that Robert said "Ok, today is Bonzo's birthday, so lets all sing Happy Birthday to him.."

'And we sure did!!'

Your Dentist is exactly right.

Was the most overwhelming verse of Happy B-Day i have ever witnessed.

Capacity crowd thundered it unison. Surely had to be very impressive to Bonham .

They knocked us out of the park that night.

Grand slam homerun

Does your dentist still practice in GSO , and what would you guess his age to be ? ty

Your Dentist is exactly right.

Was the most overwhelming verse of Happy B-Day i have ever witnessed.

Capacity crowd thundered it unison. Surely had to be very impressive to Bonham .

They knocked us out of the park that night.

Grand slam homerun

Does your dentist still practice in GSO , and what would you guess his age to be ? ty

Hey Baron here is a photo setlist thread I did for the Greensboro 1977 show-enjoy.

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/18501-greensboro-nc-coliseum-may-31-1977/page__hl__%2Bgreensboro+%2B1977__fromsearch__1

• 4 months later...

It stands to reason a soundboard of this show exists. Appears that Houston (05/21) through New York (06/14) were secured.

We got Houston as a never before heard show - sure would love Ft. Worth, Greensboro or MSG (06/14).

It stands to reason a soundboard of this show exists. Appears that Houston (05/21) through New York (06/14) were secured.

We got Houston as a never before heard show - sure would love Ft. Worth, Greensboro or MSG (06/14).

I'd go even further than that and venture a guess that potentially soundboards for the entire second leg of the '77 tour exist- and yer correct, Houston 21/5/77 was previously uncirculated until the soundboard appeared a few years back, so the same could very well end up being the case for Greensboro and Baton Rouge (although I'd still rather hear Freezer's Baton Rouge audience tape if it ever gets circulated). Not to mention getting a complete New York 14/6/77.

Although, given the rate at which these 'new' soundboards appear to the masses courtesy of the good people at EVSD or whatever, I reckon I'll be in my fucking seventies by the time they all get released :lol:

Although, given the rate at which these 'new' soundboards appear to the masses courtesy of the good people at EVSD or whatever, I reckon I'll be in my fucking seventies by the time they all get released :lol:

They release at least two sources per year...how is that a particularly slow pace?

They release at least two sources per year...how is that a particularly slow pace?

For me, it's not the pace exactly, it's the order in which they put 'em out! :lol:

As far as I'm concerned, if EVSD really wants to boost their standing -since they're the ones who tend to put out these soundboards first- they need to stop pissing about putting out soundboards for shows where we already have audience recordings and release another uncirculating show like they did with Houston '77. I mean, if they actually possess the Greensboro 31/5/77 soundboard, let's have it already! What are they waiting for? IMO EVSD is going to keep playing second banana to a label like Godfather -and Godfather has really raised the bar the last couple of years in regard to quality- unless they do this.

For me, it's not the pace exactly, it's the order in which they put 'em out! :lol:

As far as I'm concerned, if EVSD really wants to boost their standing -since they're the ones who tend to put out these soundboards first- they need to stop pissing about putting out soundboards for shows where we already have audience recordings and release another uncirculating show like they did with Houston '77. I mean, if they actually possess the Greensboro 31/5/77 soundboard, let's have it already! What are they waiting for?

Well, sure, I get that angle!

But you've hit the nail on the head: It all comes down to what they actually have...at this point, they seem to feel that it's in their best interests to sweat us out with the idea of what they might have. I'm sure we'll see the floodgates opened over the next few years, to coincide with any official releases.

Well, sure, I get that angle!

But you've hit the nail on the head: It all comes down to what they actually have...at this point, they seem to feel that it's in their best interests to sweat us out with the idea of what they might have. I'm sure we'll see the floodgates opened over the next few years, to coincide with any official releases.

That does seem to be how it's played out in the past...I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing some real goodies popping up once Page starts putting out these "Deluxe Editions" of the studio albums...

But yer correct when it comes to sweating us out, Melcore- I mean, assumming they possess the soundboards, EVSD knows there is a fucking huge demand for something like the 21/3/75 Seattle soundboard or any of the "Missing Seven" '77 shows...so why put out something more or less redundant like those last two Landover '77 soundboards instead? Don't get me wrong, it was nice to get those and all, but unfortunately for EVSD I don't think those particular soundboards were as big of sellers as they thought they'd be- or what something like a 31/5/77 soundboard (just to keep this thing at least halfway on topic :lol: ) would have been...but I s'pose ours is not to question why...

I don't think any of them sell in large numbers -- hence their high prices, and the limited runs to begin with.

Touche, but the Double Shot was more of a Goose Egg...hopefully sales weren't so bad on the Landover shows that EVSD is now thinking "Why do we even fucking bother?" :lol:

Archived