Bonzo's Birthday Shows

Touche, but the Double Shot was more of a Goose Egg...hopefully sales weren't so bad on the Landover shows that EVSD is now thinking "Why do we even fucking bother?" :lol:

How were the sales for Snowblind and the "Peace and Love" Hiroshima '71 tape they recently put out?

How were the sales for Snowblind and the "Peace and Love" Hiroshima '71 tape they recently put out?

I don't think anyone knows the sales for sure, or rather those who do aren't telling.

I'd be brazen to say that 'sales' of Snowblind and Peace And Love were probably about the same as for Double Shot- which is to say, not very high, and most likely below expectations. Again: retreads of retreads.

Hard to say if EVSD took a loss on any of those releases, but I'm inclined to say that the only way they could possibly recoup their losses would be to follow Listen's suggestion (and mine, and a few other peoples'...) by putting out something new. Putting out soundboards of shows that already circulate in audience format ain't making it anymore, I'm afraid...

I feel like since most everyone waits for new releases to be available for download, perhaps there'll be a radical change in the bootleg world soon. Labels will begin to close up one after another, and even the head honchos like EVSD and The Godfatherrecords will go out of business, perhaps before whatever unreleased material they have is ever put out. If/when that happens, the soundboards or whatever will either be lost to the sands of time, or maybe will be handed to people who will share with the community for free/for a price for just that individual, or, worst-case scenario, kept by the old label-heads or given to hoarders.

^Amen to that! :)

How much of the 5/31/73 show is soundboard? What's the best version of it?

Thanks!

:peace:

I have EVSD's "Bonzo's Birthday Party" Soundboard Definitive Edition. It misses the very opening of Rock and Roll and there's some small gaps in Rain Song and Dazed and Confused.

The soundboard covers these songs.

Disc One 48:24

1. Rock and Roll 3:22

2. Celebration Day 3:33

3. Black Dog 7:07

4. Over the Hills and Far Away 7:21

5. Misty Mountain Hop 4:44

6. Since I've Been Loving You 8:40

7. No Quarter 13:37

Disc Two 56:40

1. The Song Remains the Same 6:42

2. Rain Song 9:22

3. Dazed and Confused 29:46

4. Stairway to Heaven 10:50

I have EVSD's "Bonzo's Birthday Party" Soundboard Definitive Edition. It misses the very opening of Rock and Roll and there's some small gaps in Rain Song and Dazed and Confused.

All I know is avoid the "Slumpy" SBD/AUD matrix version...a typical Sloppy Slumpy matrix where by the end of it the two sources are so out of sync it's just this hodgepodge of noise, strictly amateur hour (leave the matrices to people like Bluecongo or Winston who actually know what the fuck they're doing!)

I feel like since most everyone waits for new releases to be available for download, perhaps there'll be a radical change in the bootleg world soon. Labels will begin to close up one after another, and even the head honchos like EVSD and The Godfatherrecords will go out of business, perhaps before whatever unreleased material they have is ever put out. If/when that happens, the soundboards or whatever will either be lost to the sands of time, or maybe will be handed to people who will share with the community for free/for a price for just that individual, or, worst-case scenario, kept by the old label-heads or given to hoarders.

Nah...bootlegs will never die, I don't think- it's a huge industry once you factor in all the repackages and retreads in particular. The bootleg companies know how the game is played: they know some poor schmuck has to buy to thing in order to distribute it online, and they also know that there are collectors who just won't rest until they have every single version of a particular show. Not everybody downloads, after all, and that I reckon is the market which the boot labels really go after. I have no idea what the going price on a soundboard tape is (surely more than you or I can afford :lol: ) but ya gotta know EVSD or whomever is going to want to profit on their 'investment' one way or another...bootleggers are not philantrophists by nature or just out to share the toonz...they're doing it because there is money to be made, and it's been that way since the days of Great White Wonder and Blueberry Hill.

If you haven't read it, Sue, you should get yer hands on a copy of Clinton Heylin's book Bootleg: The History Of The Secret Recording Industry...you'll get the whole history, chapter and verse...a must read for any collector!

^^^

Ditto. A must-read.

Putting out soundboards of shows that already circulate in audience format ain't making it anymore, I'm afraid...

It all depends on the state of the audience tape that's circulating. I, for one, salivate over the possibility of a soundboard for 3/12/75 Long Beach.

A soundboard for Montreux '71 would be nice. There's a whole plethora of 1973 shows that I would love to see a soundboard(or at least a better audience tape) for...Stockholm, Paris, 6/3 Forum, Boston.

Archived