drinking heavily

shesjustawoman

since i was 18 ive been a pretty heavy drinker when i go out. im worried that i might have shaved years off my life already. on 4 occasions ive drunken so much that i had a memory blackout, vomited violently and passed out. the first 3 times was with a whole bottle of vodka in about an hour or less and last saturday it was skulling down lots of beers and then drinking a bottle of wine quickly when i got home. im just really worried, am i going to die at a young age because of this. im only 22 so do you think my liver can handle this at that age? should i stop worrying? ive finally learnt my lesson.

since i was 18 ive been a pretty heavy drinker when i go out. im worried that i might have shaved years off my life already. on 4 occasions ive drunken so much that i had a memory blackout, vomited violently and passed out. the first 3 times was with a whole bottle of vodka in about an hour or less and last saturday it was skulling down lots of beers and then drinking a bottle of wine quickly when i got home. im just really worried, am i going to die at a young age because of this. im only 22 so do you think my liver can handle this at that age? should i stop worrying? ive finally learnt my lesson.

Hello shesjustawoman,

It's good you finally learned your lesson early. You have time to adopt a healty lifestyle and let your body mend the damage you may have done. You will never know if you shortened your life, but to worry about it excessivly certainly will shorten it.

Take good care of yourself and be happy.

I would be concerned about this kind of problem drinking. You should always drink in moderation. As for your liver, it depends on your individual health, but too much alcohol is never good for the liver. To protect your liver you should consume alcohol in moderation, and drink lots of water.

As a habit, you should limit yourself to one drink in the evening, and be sure to eat something with it, crackers, cheese, nuts, fruit, bread or a light meal. One drink is an 8 ounce cup of wine, a 12 ounce bottle of beer or 3 ounces of alcohol.

Your liver is less likely to suffer damage if you eat something when you drink alcoholic beverages. That is because the food will absorb the alcohol and it will metabolize more slowly into your bloodstream.

If you don't eat something when you drink, then the alcohol goes straight to the bloodstream where it spikes the blood sugar and bombards the liver immediately, causing the liver to work too hard and wearing it out before it's time.

The liver is a delicate organ and aids in cleaning your body of toxins.

Once the liver fails, the body fills with toxins, which poison the brain stem and death results. That is why a liver transplant is necessary when the liver fails.

Liver transplants are not always available when you need them.

So treat your liver as if it is extremely valuable, because your life depends on it quite literally.

Liver failure, heart attack, stroke, cancer...all of these can be fatal.

Symptoms

By Mayo Clinic staff Before treatment or recovery, most people with alcoholism deny that they have a drinking problem. Other signs of alcoholism and alcohol abuse include:

• Drinking alone or in secret
  • Being unable to limit the amount of alcohol you drink
  • Not remembering conversations or commitments, sometimes referred to as "blacking out"
  • Making a ritual of having drinks before, with or after dinner and becoming annoyed when this ritual is disturbed or questioned
  • Losing interest in activities and hobbies that used to bring pleasure
  • Feeling a need or compulsion to drink
  • Irritability when your usual drinking time nears, especially if alcohol isn't available
  • Keeping alcohol in unlikely places at home, at work or in the car
  • Gulping drinks, ordering doubles, becoming intoxicated intentionally to feel good or drinking to feel "normal"
  • Having legal problems or problems with relationships, employment or finances
  • Building a tolerance to alcohol so that you need an increasing number of drinks to feel alcohol's effects
  • Experiencing physical withdrawal symptoms such as nausea, sweating and shaking if you don't drink
People who abuse alcohol may experience many of the same signs and symptoms as people who are dependent on alcohol. However, alcohol abusers don't feel the same compulsion to drink and usually don't experience physical withdrawal symptoms when they don't drink. A dependence on alcohol also creates a tolerance to alcohol and the inability to control your drinking.

If you've ever wondered if your own alcohol consumption crosses the line of abuse or dependence, ask yourself these questions:

• Do you need a drink as soon as you get up?
  • Do you feel guilty about your drinking?
  • Do you think you need to cut back on your alcohol consumption?
  • Are you annoyed when other people comment on or criticize your drinking habits?

If you answered yes to two or more questions, it's likely that you have a problem with alcohol. Even one yes answer may indicate a problem.

mayoclinic.com/health/alcoholism/DS00340/DSECTION=symptoms

Complications

By Mayo Clinic staff Alcohol depresses your central nervous system. In some people, the initial reaction may be stimulation. But as you continue to drink, you become sedated. Alcohol lowers your inhibitions and affects your thoughts, emotions and judgment. In sufficient amounts, alcohol impairs speech and muscle coordination. Too much alcohol can severely depress the vital centers of your brain. A heavy drinking binge may even cause a life-threatening coma.

Over time, excessive alcohol use can cause fatigue and short-term memory loss, as well as weakness and paralysis of your eye muscles. Other severe health effects may include:

• Liver disorders. Drinking heavily can cause alcoholic hepatitis, an inflammation of the liver. Signs and symptoms may include loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and tenderness, fever, yellowing of the skin (jaundice), and sometimes confusion. After years of drinking, hepatitis may lead to cirrhosis, the irreversible and progressive destruction and scarring of liver tissue.

mayoclinic.com/health/alcoholism/DS00340/DSECTION=complications

ive finally learnt my lesson.

If you in fact have learned your lesson,I commend you.I wouldn't worry about the other aspects of it,at 22 the body's' resiliency is amazing,in that respect,you should be fine.

You may want to avoid the situations that got you to that point in the first place,just to avoid the temptation.

Good luck in your endeavor.

B)

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think everyone goes through that stage in their teens/early twenties where they drink heavily. I know I sure did. I've come home without my shoes before, lol!! You can drink and have fun without reaching blackout. The key is to learn how to drink. Figure out what you can actually handle drinks-wise. Only go out with responsible friends who cut you off at a certain point, if that's what you have to do. Only take enough cash with you to pay for the amount of drinks it takes to to get a buzz, don't take enough cash to get hammered. If you will need to take a cab home, put your cab money in your shoe instead of your wallet so you aren't tempted to spend it on drinks.

If you are really concerned about your liver, go to a doctor. There are simple blood tests that can taken. Your abuse of alcohol is only one thing that can affect your overall health. Are you fat, do you eat crap food, do you take lots of medicines (both over the counter & prescription)?

Also, try drinking a glass of water in between drinks. It will fill you up and help counter-act the dehydrating effect of alcohol.

honey, if you ask the question, you probably know the answer. use your head. when you "blackout" your body does not have its gag reflex, so vomiting is a huge threat to your life. aspiration will kill you. period. it's also important to recognize that everything we eat, drink and breathe gets processed through the liver. try a liver cleanse, found at any health food store.

moderation is the secret. have fun, and be smart.

Whatever doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. ohmy.gifbiggrin.gif

When I was 15, I'd go through 2 750ml bottles of Bacardi Limon on a weekend. It would do terrible things to me, make me into a shriveling fetus hugging porcelin. Eventually, your body learns its lessons and you develop a steel liver. I still can't touch that stuff because of those days, nor can I drink Blue Moon excessively because the lemon gets me. But sometimes you just have to harden the fuck up. ;)

If I may, it's not the alcohol you're abusing. Be a little kinder to yourself :) Good luck to you

You know, almost everyone gets really drunk sometimes. That doesn't mean that you should stop worrying. You can damage your liver at any age. Be aware of alcohol poisoning, too. Especially when you drink so much you pass out. You can damage your liver very easily also by moderate, but constatnt drinking. It's a rather long-term thing. Overdosing on alcohol is much more acute, and can endanger your life immediately.

And I agree with Patrycja, too.

You know, almost everyone gets really drunk sometimes.

Count me in the group that doesn't. The most drinks I've ever had in one sitting is two. There is nothing worse than being around someone who is completely intoxicated - it makes ME want to vomit. So I can't possibly fathom getting into that state myself.

To the OP: You should never stop worrying about what you're doing to your body. It doesn't matter what it is you're doing too much of - smoking, drinking, eating.....almost anything to excess will cause acute health problems either in the near future or when you get older. You're drinking too goddamn much. How the hell can anyone drink like this and still be alive? The cynic in me wonders if you're not embellishing this story a tad, but in the event that you're not.......you're drinking too goddamn much.

Count me in the group that doesn't. The most drinks I've ever had in one sitting is two. There is nothing worse than being around someone who is completely intoxicated - it makes ME want to vomit. So I can't possibly fathom getting into that state myself.

That's why I said almost everyone. The percentage is high, but I know that not everyone enjoys getting drunk. I too drink very moderately since the last time I felt really sick, which was more than three years ago.

Anything you over-do ain't good for you.

I hope you had a terrible headache the day after, thank the gods for headaches.....they remind you how weak the mortal frame actually is.

Wishing you a long life and a good health, and some brains to know your limits.

Res.

I've known people who where daily drinker's up into there early 50's and are still alive to tell the stories, but I've also known people who died from car crashes after drinking to much and even a few who had over dosed young.

You have to know your limit's really, and that has to do with your weight, the amount of time your talking about, drinking experience and there are those few rare cases of people who can drink all night and still be very functional. I've met some people like that in my day and also some who just can't take it at all, some one who can have one drink and be falling down drunk!

I needed a six pack to get a buzz and a twelve pack to get drunk (more to be falling down), I didn't do to much hard stuff but 4 mixed drink's would get me going and 1/2 a fifth would put me in orbit! Course I was doing some good pot on a lot of those night's too, so I don't know. I'd put away a case of beer or ale over the weekend with out a 2nd blink of my left eye, but that's been some time ago now. I quit partying twice in the past, once when I was in my early 20's and once about 10 years after that. Fell off the wagon less than a year later both time's but, now I'm party free.

I'm clean and sober for 3 years now! I don't even smoke legal any more!

The best thing I ever did was being strait on Saturday night's!

Almost everyone gets laid sometimes too, but...oh oops,nevermind. :slapface:

I think Americans are to hung up on "getting drunk" and not just enjoying drink.

Trust me, I was one of those who drank JUST to get drunk, as a teen and sometimes as "revenge" against whatever I was hurt/pissed about. Totally wrong. It never solves a thing. Used it as a sleep aid at one point too. Again...wrong.

As Redrum said, I too lost my only brother to alcohol. As well as almost an entire band who were my buddies.

Moderation, moderation, moderation and eat something before, and during.

I had an entire "formula" worked out so I could go get drunk...vitamins, aspirin, small meal before. Coffee after, then lot's of water, some kind of juice or soup, crackers.

Sheesh! I'm so glad I've stopped that silliness.

I had contagious hepatitis when I was 21 and was concerned that as I aged my liver would be compromised in it's function. I take a herbal supplement that is widely used for liver support. Milk thistle or botanical name Silymarin.

Before you may decide to take anything like that please do research first to see if it would be right for you.

I had contagious hepatitis when I was 21 and was concerned that as I aged my liver would be compromised in it's function. I take a herbal supplement that is widely used for liver support. Milk thistle or botanical name Silymarin.

Before you may decide to take anything like that please do research first to see if it would be right for you.

Hi 'ledzepfvr'

There are a lot of Heartwrenching Stories on here about Drug or Alcohol Abuse or Both, My Sympathies to you all, as for me, i must be one of the Few that Voluntarily Gave Up Alcohol for no other reason than to Prove to Myself, and others, that i could, that was 20 years ago this Past August, and i can honestly say i havent missed a drop, i replaced the Long Cool Alcoholic Drinks with Lemonade and Orange Juice or Lime, but some People Only Learn the Hard Way dont they? Anyway how are you doing now?

Very Kind Regards, Danny and ROCK ON FOREVER my friend ROF ROF ROF HA HA HA

Hi 'ledzepfvr'

There are a lot of Heartwrenching Stories on here about Drug or Alcohol Abuse or Both, My Sympathies to you all, as for me, i must be one of the Few that Voluntarily Gave Up Alcohol for no other reason than to Prove to Myself, and others, that i could, that was 20 years ago this Past August, and i can honestly say i havent missed a drop, i replaced the Long Cool Alcoholic Drinks with Lemonade and Orange Juice or Lime, but some People Only Learn the Hard Way dont they? Anyway how are you doing now?

Very Kind Regards, Danny and ROCK ON FOREVER my friend ROF ROF ROF HA HA HA

Hey BIGDAN...I think most anyone in their youth has drank excessivly at parties etc. I had my share. Got wasted and drove home because I was less wasted than my ex and his brother. Scared my self silly as I was too drunk to be driving and not drunk enough to know that I was in trouble. Never did do that again. That was one of those lessons to be learned the hard way and it could have turned out much worse. I'm a happy hour drinker, a beer, glass of wine or an occasional mixed drink. But every one needs to find what their level of drinking should be. Abstinance for some who can't control it or social drinking for some. As for my hepatitis B, that was a gift from my ex and he probably picked it up from smoking a joint with someone infected and we were both considered a menance to society for 3 months and were under self quaratine. I am doing fine now, thanks for asking.

Respectfully, ledzepfvr ROF

Everyone (unless they have health or mental issues relating to drink) should go out and get drunk at least once in a while. It's not harmful at all.

It'll make you a better person and not so stuck up. There is nothing so humbling as acting like an idiot. Throwing your shoes into a tree for example. :)

People have been getting drunk and enjoying themselves for thousands of years. It's not a bad thing at all. It's when you can't control it or can't stop it, that's when it becomes a problem. Fortunately that's never been a problem for me.

Here's to people who can get pissed and have fun now and then. It DOES make life much much better.

I have good booze up at least once every two weeks, sometimes once every week. It's never done me any harm and if you don't take everything else to excess (fatty bad foods, smoking, serious drugs etc etc)it's not really a problem.

I did a 20 mile hill hike last week and the fact that I boozed heavily the week before wasn't a problem. It's because I don't let myself go in other areas on top. I cycle, I hike. Boozing now and then (sometimes heavily) isn't a problem.

Archived