Best LZ Concert Film?

mendle44

Hi all,

Just joined up to the site. My friend asked me what the best LZ concert film was and it got me thinking. Song Remains the Same? How the West Was Won? Plain ole Led Zeppelin? What do you think is the best official concert film they put out (not counting bootlegs or anything like that.)

Ok, someone, or maybe must disagree... but for me the 1973 MSG Shows (Led Zep DVD & Song Remains the Same). Why? Because it really captures their peak (1973 Best year) and the firecrackers... AH!!! Jimmy didn't get rid of those on the movie and the soundtrack. NQ has the best solo ever captured in video (cut in half but is still something), D&C, STH, The Ocean, Celebration Day, Rock And Roll, and SILBY.

I do love the LZ DVD, the picture is bright, crisp and smooth, plus the sound and performances are amazing. Is still better than TSRTS, but I love the '73 period. If Warner Brothers wouldn't be 8!tching around and let Jimmy do a better retouch, completeness and better mix, I think would be an outstanding release.

Royal Albert Hall footage is definitely the best - Excellent quality, lots of movement and camera angles. The cameramen really get stuck in to the action. The band themselves are fantastic, a raw and powerful performance from the early days of their career.

Madison Square Garden stuff is good except for the annoying fantasy sequences spliced into the Song Remains The Same movie and the fact that half the footage was actually filmed later on at Shepperton.

Earls Court's also very good but the camera angles/movement is quite limited.

Knebworth footage is excellent except the band are past their peak by this stage. Still good stuff though.

Would be nice to see more early footage in the sytle of Royal Albert Hall. :)

'How The West Was Won' wasn't a concert film, just an audio CD set. I really do wish there was professionally filmed stuff from 72, that would be awesome (film looks way better than video too).

I for one would love another pro-shot '77 show. Pontiac seems the most likely candidate, and it was a stellar performance by '77 standards.

Archived