John Paul's Power

I really think that Jones is a very talented musician.

I think that when Zeppelin broke up that he should have created his own band instead of doing corabrated work. I mean he could rock the bass (The Lemon Song), the organ (You're Time Is Gonna Come), or the synthesizer (All My Love). He could have got with a close friend, who was a musician, and find some relatively new musicians (like with Jimmy), got a good lyricist, and created some really good music.

He was really powerful I think because he was multi-instrumental and if they wouldn't have had he they would have "Communication Breakdown", "Good Times, Bad Times", or "Black Dog".

This is from a new TCV interview.

"The excitement to play in a new band had grown very low within me after all the years." John Paul Jones says. "Not a lot of new music get me excited nowadays. Everytime I listen to a new band, I think about one another which I treasure, I'm not quite fair here. I could only think: What should I do after Led Zeppelin? Which band should I still get in? ..."

And even though I do think JPJ is a very talented, probably the most accomplished musician in Led Zeppelin, I don't see him as the "leader" type.

I have said this numerous times and that is that I honestly believe that John Paul Jones is probably the most under-rated musician of all-time. Maybe some would not believe or agree with me on the "all-time" aspect but certainly the "under-rated" part. His contribution to the music and genius of the "mighty Led Zeppelin" is undeniable. In my opinion, Led Zeppelin would not be the Led Zeppelin we all know and love if it were not for the talent of the man, John Paul Jones: Jonesy. I would love to buy him a beer. Heinekin, of course!

Hmmm... now John Paul Jones is undeniably a MVP, and has the versatility to do anything he wants, or anything he had wanted to do after Led Zeppelin.

On the other hand...top his accomplishments with LZ, with other people? If I was Jones, I think I too would have been content, and not worry about trying.

JPJ has been called a musicians musician. The man is just so multi talented.The two times I saw them I always wanted just left of the stage so I could see him closely. Can you imagine not having "No Quarter" or "Dazed & Confused", just to name a couple. :notworthy:

I know I have posted this video on another thread, but thought it would be a nice addition to this one...enjoy!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW_xbeWbnOw

I really think that Jones is a very talented musician.

I think that when Zeppelin broke up that he should have created his own band instead of doing corabrated work. I mean he could rock the bass (The Lemon Song), the organ (You're Time Is Gonna Come), or the synthesizer (All My Love). He could have got with a close friend, who was a musician, and find some relatively new musicians (like with Jimmy), got a good lyricist, and created some really good music.

He was really powerful I think because he was multi-instrumental and if they wouldn't have had he they would have "Communication Breakdown", "Good Times, Bad Times", or "Black Dog".

Agree that he is a very talented musician and I'm well pleased to see him in the spotlight and getting good response from his current project. As far as his post Zep career, I think he did what felt right to him at the time. He's fantastic in the studio and worked with some very diverse and interesting artists on the production side as well as putting out his own solo works. He's got high standards for himself and I would imagine it wasn't until this recent project that perhaps he felt he found musicians that he was really inspired by to form a band etc. Whatever the reason is, happy he's been out there on some level all these years and hope he continues to do so!

JPJ has been called a musicians musician. The man is just so multi talented.The two times I saw them I always wanted just left of the stage so I could see him closely. Can you imagine not having "No Quarter" or "Dazed & Confused", just to name a couple. notworthy.gif

Not meaning to be mean or anything but Jones didn't compose the bass in "Dazed & Confused" it's actually from the original song titled "Dazed & Confused" that Jimmy re-wrote.

Agree that he is a very talented musician and I'm well pleased to see him in the spotlight and getting good response from his current project. As far as his post Zep career, I think he did what felt right to him at the time. He's fantastic in the studio and worked with some very diverse and interesting artists on the production side as well as putting out his own solo works. He's got high standards for himself and I would imagine it wasn't until this recent project that perhaps he felt he found musicians that he was really inspired by to form a band etc. Whatever the reason is, happy he's been out there on some level all these years and hope he continues to do so!

Very true, it was only stated recently by no one but JPJ himself that he broke his swear that he would never play in a band again for TCV.

Not meaning to be mean or anything but Jones didn't compose the bass in "Dazed & Confused" it's actually from the original song titled "Dazed & Confused" that Jimmy re-wrote.

They were a team, but seeing JPJ play it....breathless :thumbsup:

He is the one member of Zeppelin, as far as post Zeppelin, who has never done anything musically that I think is questionable. He's had the integrity in his post Zeppelin career that Robert Plant gives constant lip service to about in his own career but comes up short. Jones' choices, up until now, may not have put him in the same limelight as Page & Plant, but those choices were much more diverse & at times risky which I think is truer to the spirit of Zeppelin than both Page & Plant's choices. Others can prefer "Tall Cool One" or "Come With Me", I'll take Jones' solo work & his collaborations with The Butthole Surfers, Diamanda Galas, Ann & Nancy Wilson, REM, Nicklecreek, & so many others any day of the week over the others spotty careers of Page & Plant, & I say that with Page being my all time favorite musician. I'm glad he's getting his well deserved due. Slow & steady seems to have "won" the race after all.

He is the one member of Zeppelin, as far as post Zeppelin, who has never done anything musically that I think is questionable. He's had the integrity in his post Zeppelin career that Robert Plant gives constant lip service to about in his own career but comes up short. Jones' choices, up until now, may not have put him in the same limelight as Page & Plant, but those choices were much more diverse & at times risky which I think is truer to the spirit of Zeppelin than both Page & Plant's choices. Others can prefer "Tall Cool One" or "Come With Me", I'll take Jones' solo work & his collaborations with The Butthole Surfers, Diamanda Galas, Ann & Nancy Wilson, REM, Nicklecreek, & so many others any day of the week over the others spotty careers of Page & Plant, & I say that with Page being my all time favorite musician. I'm glad he's getting his well deserved due. Slow & steady seems to have "won" the race after all.

kaiser, we are all entitled to our opinions, but to say that Robert gives lip service about his career, to me is ridiculous! Page and Plant's work is amazing.

I do think JPJ has made great decisions and is brilliant musically...but I support and respect them all. :yesnod:

kaiser, we are all entitled to our opinions, but to say that Robert gives lip service about his career, to me is ridiculous! Page and Plant's work is amazing.

I do think JPJ has made great decisions and is brilliant musically...but I support and respect them all. :yesnod:

Agreed Deborah.

Why compare their works? They went very different paths and IMO it makes little sense to say who "won" since it's not a competition.

Agreed Deborah.

Why compare their works? They went very different paths and IMO it makes little sense to say who "won" since it's not a competition.

Hello glicine! Thank you. :thumbsup:

I am really getting tired of people with negative thoughts about any member of Led Zeppelin. :angry: There are other places to do that.

All of these men are the best at what they do...period!

Hello glicine! Thank you. :thumbsup:

I am really getting tired of people with negative thoughts about any member of Led Zeppelin. :angry: There are other places to do that.

All of these men are the best at what they do...period!

Robert has given "lip" service to his post Zeppelin career, as most artists do when trying to distance themselves from their past. John Lennon & George Harrison certainly did that as well for example.

There was a time in the late 80's/early 90's where Robert did nothing but talk up his music as being "new", "vibrant", "fresh", "cutting", "now", "adventureous", in comparison to Zeppelin & current artists like Depeche Mode, The Cure, & REM. I'm a fan of all three of those bands & if I wanted to listen to them I did/do rather than a warmed over version of it ie, Robert Plant & Mick Jagger during that time pertiod. Peter Gabriel's music of that time (whom Jones worked with during that time) was all of those things where as I don't think Robert's was. Sorry. A lot of it's dated now & it was then. Page's is too, but he didn't make ridiculous comparisons in interviews at least. Jones music has never dated. It's of it's time, but it also transcends it's time making it the defintion of classic.

Thankfully I think Robert is more confident in his post Zeppelin career now. He's not following trends or trying to keep up with the Joneses'(ha), he's making music he really does believe in & it's the best most consistent music he's made in years. My point is that Jones always did just that, he never wavered, & he's come out of it with his musical integrity 100% intact. In that sense I do think he has "won" in the public eye. As I said Page is my favorite musician of all time & I can have criticisms of him no matter how big a fan I am. I have to be honest no matter how much I respect him or Robert, which I don't think is a negative thing but obviously others do. There's always going to be comparisons made & I'm just happy that Jones is getting his due finally, which he doesn't even get often on this forum most of the time unfortunately. It's a constant Page & Plant discussion or "what if Bonzo were still alive" type thing. Well JPJ is still alive & kicking ass. It should be acknowledged more, IMO.

Robert has given "lip" service to his post Zeppelin career, as most artists do when trying to distance themselves from their past. John Lennon & George Harrison certainly did that as well for example.

There was a time in the late 80's/early 90's where Robert did nothing but talk up his music as being "new", "vibrant", "fresh", "cutting", "now", "adventureous", in comparison to Zeppelin & current artists like Depeche Mode, The Cure, & REM. I'm a fan of all three of those bands & if I wanted to listen to them I did/do rather than a warmed over version of it ie, Robert Plant & Mick Jagger during that time pertiod. Peter Gabriel's music of that time (whom Jones worked with during that time) was all of those things where as I don't think Robert's was. Sorry. A lot of it's dated now & it was then. Page's is too, but he didn't make ridiculous comparisons in interviews at least. Jones music has never dated. It's of it's time, but it also transcends it's time making it the defintion of classic.

Thankfully I think Robert is more confident in his post Zeppelin career now. He's not following trends or trying to keep up with the Joneses'(ha), he's making music he really does believe in & it's the best most consistent music he's made in years. My point is that Jones always did just that, he never wavered, & he's come out of it with his musical integrity 100% intact. In that sense I do think he has "won" in the public eye. As I said Page is my favorite musician of all time & I can have criticisms of him no matter how big a fan I am. I have to be honest no matter how much I respect him or Robert, which I don't think is a negative thing but obviously others do. There's always going to be comparisons made & I'm just happy that Jones is getting his due finally, which he doesn't even get often on this forum most of the time unfortunately. It's a constant Page & Plant discussion or "what if Bonzo were still alive" type thing. Well JPJ is still alive & kicking ass. It should be acknowledged more, IMO.

Your point is noted, but I still stand by supporting all of them. Both Jimmy and Robert and JPJ have gone on to do wonderful projects solo or together.

JPJ has always in my opinion been thought of as 25% of that band. You needed all 4 to make it 100%. I saw them twice- in 73 and 75 and I tried to get seats so I could see JPJ. I have never felt like the loyal fans ever thought any less of JPJ than any other member. JPJ was/is more private.

Look, I am just someone who has to speak out when anything negative is said. This is my band and the loyalty makes me protective. :yesnod:

Your point is noted, but I still stand by supporting all of them. Both Jimmy and Robert and JPJ have gone on to do wonderful projects solo or together.

JPJ has always in my opinion been thought of as 25% of that band. You needed all 4 to make it 100%. I saw them twice- in 73 and 75 and I tried to get seats so I could see JPJ. I have never felt like the loyal fans ever thought any less of JPJ than any other member. JPJ was/is more private.

Look, I am just someone who has to speak out when anything negative is said. This is my band and the loyalty makes me protective. :yesnod:

I support all of them too, but when trying to make as short a post as I can, not all of my thoughts & feelings on the individual members are going to filter through. For example, I was finally able to pick up "Raising Sand", which I had heard several times & enjoyed but I was now able to sit down with the album & really get into it for the first time. As a fan of Gram Parsons & Emmylou Harris's work together, this was a perfect choice for myself as a purchase & certainly for Robert as a musical direction. For an album that "stereotypical" Zep fans would think lacks "balls", this album is nothing but balls. The opening screams of "The Immigrant Song" does not have the patent on balls alone. The subtlety of "Gone Gone Gone" has it in spades too. If I didn't just mention in this post that tidbit about my feelings towards Robert's last album how could you know I felt that way rather than that I'm some Anti-Robert Plant guy blaming him for the lack of Zeppelin on the current touring scene. I don't care about any of that shit, I really don't. But here it is a JPJ thread & who am I rambling on about at the moment :D ? That's what my original point was in part. JPJ constantly gets overlooked while if it looks like what may appear to be a Plant bashing, a wolfpack is right there to pounce. What's more important, acknowledging JPJ's musical legacy in or out of Zeppelin or something that appears as shit speak about Page & Plant even when it's not? Listening to the opening of "In The Light" or JPJ's "Crackback" is worth more than any slight I could make about Page & Plant.

And Deborah J, having re-read my current post I'm not calling you a "wolf" lol :D . I know Plant fans are particularly protective about Robert in these here waters "cough Knebby", I do try to avoid it for the most part. I just am really happy that JPJ is getting his due & unfortunately the other guys will come into it. Could George Harrison's songwriting really be mentioned without his "other two", and poor Ringo's not even dead.

kaiser, thank you for seeing my point as I made a note of yours. Their music is about bringing us all together...look forward to many good conversations.

I am a wolf when it comes to ANY of these men :peace:

The same :) . And I'm no stranger here, I used to be "kakdaddy" but had to start a new account because things on my computer went haywire, so I decided on a name change as well.

Archived