David Bowie

Roxie

He's on the top of my bucket list but I'm afraid he will never tour again (since he had a heart attack on his last tour in 2004). Sigh.

Wolfman, that's a shame. I had no idea he had any serious health issues in the last few years. Do you know if he is still active and recording? I only have a greatest hits LP from late Seventies period. But after listening to Changes video above I am reminded that he has such a unique voice. I know saying he is one of a kind is cliche, but really who else sounds like him? I think he put out an EP of Let's Dance and I also have that. But I'm probably missing some more work that highlights his vocals. Got any suggestions of what you think his best albums are? :) Thanks for the info. Missy

PS Is the Ziggy Stardust album, (can't recall correct title!)....is that something you would consider a must have ala DSOTM is to Pink Floyd?

Hello:

I liked the album, PINUPS, ..He covers other British artists early tunes..On the cover there's a picture of him and his first wife..

J

PS David was in London Canada at The John Labatt Centre prior to his unfortunate health episode ..I missed the concert ...it was just a bit too expensive...

PSS I believe he has performed with ARCADE FIRE...at one of their gigs in NYC...

Edited by Juliet

PS Is the Ziggy Stardust album, (can't recall correct title!)....is that something you would consider a must have ala DSOTM is to Pink Floyd?

Sorry to hyjack the conversation but IMHO, it's a definite must have for any Bowie fan

I still have a VHS copy that I taped from some channel or other of the last Ziggy Stardust concert and he does a great version of Wild Eyed Boy Fom Freecloud, it sicks in my mind as it was the B side of Space Oddity, which I bought on 7" vinyl on the Philips label, unfortunately I gave it to my friend a couple of years ago as he was a Bowie nut.

• 5 months later...

Amazing artist with an amazing array of different musical styles.

Since his earlier periods got mentioned here before (Yes I also love his Ziggy era stuff, have the 73 live show on dvd and vinyl, as well as the 72 Santa Monica show. "Station to station" was also a masterpiece, etc etc) I must admit that I absolutely love the Reality Tour dvd which contains a 3 hour concert with a brilliant band (Gail Ann Dorsey is soooooooo fucking amazing).

Also his unreleased album "Toy" should be mentioned, very much worth getting a bootleg copy of.

My first David Bowie experience was the summer of 1972, sitting in my uncle's Opel GT in front of an auto mechanic shop in San Jose, Costa Rica.

Space Oddity came on the AM radio. Sitting alone in that car at age eight, I experienced that song in it's absolute fullness. I was riveted by the music and lyrics. Each time I have heard the song on the radio I think of that day.

Two years later I got Pinups for Christmas. Loved it.

From February to November 1975 I was floored by Physical Graffiti, Young Americans, and Bohemian Rhapsody. It was a great year. Young Americans is a great track with David Sanborn on sax. I loved 1975.

Do you remember

Your President Nixon

Do remember

The bills you have to pay

Or even yesterday?

One of my favorites, Gives me chills.

Also saw Serious Moonlight tour in Phoenix in 1983.

In The Light since 1972.

Trampled Under Foot. My life with Led Zeppelin

http://petedelorean.tumblr.com/

• 4 months later...

Bowie Doc, Five Years, To Be Premiered By Beeb

10:25 AM GMT 15/02/2013

The BBC has confirmed that it is set to air a feature-length film about David Bowie. The documentary, which is due to broadcast this May, will focus on five key individual years that shaped his career.

The film will look at Bowie in 1971, on the road toHunky Dory, then skips to 1975 - the crucible year of Bowie's alienated Thin White Duke persona. 1977 sees Bowie in Berlin, with Eno, Iggy et al; then 1980 chronicles the making ofScary Monsters (And Super Creeps) and Bowie's entente with the New Romantics. The last of the Five Years is 1983 - coinciding with the megastar breakthrough of Let's Dance - and an epilogue catches up with his surprise return, 30 years later, with forthcoming LP The Next Day.

Whilst there is hardly a shortage of Bowie retrospectives out there in the ether, this will be the first to look at the enigmatic singer's return, and is purportedly rammed with unseen studio footage and interviews with his closest friends and colleagues.

Director Francis Whately, who previously worked as a director on the BBC's Seven Ages Of Rock series, has said the project has been in the pipeline for over a decade, since he and Bowie first worked together on a BBC Omnibus back in 2001.

David Bowie: Five Years will broadcast this May on BBC Two.

And if that wasn't enough Bowie for you, check out Beck covering Sound And Visionwith a 160-strong orchestra for the new Lincoln cars ad campaign.

Posted by Ross_Bennett at 10:25 AM GMT 15/02/2013

http://www.mojo4music.com/blog/2013/02/bowie_doc_five_years_to_be_pre.html

Edited by weslgarlic

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Meet the mysterious ‘white witch’ who exorcised David Bowie’s cocaine palace.

walli_elmlark_2039482347.jpg

During the mid-1970s David Bowie entered his “Thin White Duke” phase, and this period has uniquely added to the Bowie mystique as well as become an object of special fascination to Bowie fans. (Among other things it produced my own favorite Bowie album, Station to Station.) It’s especially fascinating to us, I think, because Bowie seems to have lost track of himself a little bit in a way that was never true in any other period, in his phantastical ruminations about Nazis, Manson, cocaine, and his own bodily essences. Just a couple of weeks ago, DM featured a comic book about this period called “The Side Effects of the Cocaine,” the title of which comes from a line in Bowie’s song “Station to Station.”

ADVERTISEMENT

When he arrived in 1975, Bowie was staying at the Los Feliz house of Glenn Hughes, bassist for Deep Purple, who lived just down the road from “the LaBianca house,” as Hughes recalls, being the site of one of the Manson murders in 1969, specifically the killing of Leno and Rosemary LaBianca two days after the murder of Sharon Tate and several other people in Benedict Canyon. As 1975 progressed and faded into 1976, Bowie would suffer from powerful forebodings right out of another connection to Roman Polanski, Rosemary’s Baby.

David_Bowie_1976_TWD_23094832.jpg
Bowie in his “Thin White Duke” phase, here during a 1976 concert in Toronto

The artistic and sensitive Bowie clearly perceived a malign influence from the Manson connection to Hughes’ home. He was using huge amounts of cocaine. According to Marc Spitz’s 2010 Bowie: A Biography, Bowie was “obsessed with using occult magic to attain success and protect himself from demonic forces.”

(A brief note on Spitz. Spitz is not a careful writer, and his book is riddled with annoying typos and mistaken facts. However, on the general subject of whether he is a reliable source, he does appear to have gotten his interviewees on the record. Peter Bebergal, author of the recent Season of the Witch: How the Occult Saved Rock and Roll, appears to regard him as a reliable source.)

According to Hughes, “David had a fear of heights and wouldn’t go into an elevator. ... He never used to go above the third floor. Ever. If I got him into an elevator, it was frightening. He was paranoid and so I became paranoid. We partied in private.” Bowie himself has stated the effect that the cocaine was having on his paranoia: “Cocaine severs any link you have with another human being. … Around late 1975 everything was starting to break up.”

Quoting Spitz again: “Bowie would sit in the house with a pile of high-quality cocaine atop the glass coffee table.” Bowie became obsessed with the book Psychic Self-Defense by Dion Fortune (Bebergal confirms this bit), which describes itself as a “safeguard for protecting yourself against paranormal malevolence.” Among other things, “Bowie began drawing protective pentagrams on every surface.”

As Hughes says, “He felt inclined to go on very bizarre tangents about Aleister Crowley or the Nazis or numerals a lot. … He was completely wired. Maniacally wired. I could not keep up with him. He was on the edge all the time of paranoia, and also going on about things I had no friggin’ idea of what he was talking about. He’d go into a rap on it and I wouldn’t know what he was talking about.” As Bowie himself remembered, “My other fascination was with the Nazis and their search for the Holy Grail. ... I paid with the worst manic depression of my life. … My psyche went through the roof, it just fractured into pieces. I was hallucinating twenty- four hours a day. ... I felt like I’d fallen into the bowels of the earth.”

At his wit’s end, Bowie reached out to Cherry Vanilla, a former employee of Bowie’s management company MainMan, who witnessed much of this paranoid, debauched phase. Cherry Vanilla verified the connection between Bowie and a “white witch”—racial connotations aside, and those are by no means absent from this story either, but the term is intended to distinguish witches whose effects are “good” and “evil”—who would purify his living premises. “He had this whole thing about these black girls who were trying to get him to impregnate them to make a devil baby,” says Vanilla. “He asked me to get him a white witch to take this curse off of him. He was serious, you know. And I actually knew somebody in New York who claimed she was a white witch. She was the only white witch I ever met. So I put him in touch with her. I don’t know what ever happened to her. And I don’t know if she removed the curse. I guess she did.”

walli_elmlark_2394248.jpg
This comic by Vaughn Bodē from July 1973 is one of the few surviving visual depictions of the self-professed “white witch” Walli Elmlark.

That “white witch” was one Walli Elmlark, who had taught some classes in magic at the New York School of Occult Arts and Sciences on Fourteenth Street in New York. She wrote a gossip column in the rock magazine Circus and had known Jimi Hendrix and was also friendly with Marc Bolan. A couple years earlier, Elmlark had recorded a spoken-word album with King Crimson’s Robert Fripp named The Cosmic Children; it has ever been released. According to Sid Smith’s book In The Court Of King Crimson,

In June 1972, Fripp finished recording an album with a Wiccan journalist, called Walli Elmlark. The album was called
The Cosmic Children
. Side one consists of Fripp and Elmlark in conversation where she outlines her experiences and commitment to Wicca. On side two, she talks to DJ Jeff Dexter about cosmic children—spirits from other places who take physical forms such as Hendrix, Bolan, Bowie and Mike Gibbons, drummer with Badfinger. Talking to NME’s Simon Stable, Fripp stated: “The function of the album is to reach out to the children like the drummer from Badfinger, I want to say; ‘You’re not nutty, you’re not a freak because you can’t relate to what’s around you.’”

Elmlark had also published (per Spitz) “a cosmic paperback full of collages, poetry, personal confessions and observations,” which bore the title Rock Raps of the 70’s. It was co-written with occultist Timothy Green Beckley. According to that book, Elmlark was fond of wearing a “floor length clingy high necked long sleeved black jersey, and a floor length chiffon over dress that floats around me like a mysterious mist of motion.”

walli_elmlark_2394834.jpg

Summoned to Bowie’s residence, she quickly and apparently successfully exorcised the pool. This next bit is confirmed in Backstage Passes: Life on the Wild Side with David Bowie the memoir by Angie Bowie, David’s wife during this period who was also living there at the time: “At a certain point in the ritual, the pool began to bubble. It bubbled vigorously—perhaps ‘thrashed’ is a better term—in a manner inconsistent with any explanation involving filters and the like.” As Spitz wrote: “Elmlark wrote a series of spells and incantations out for Bowie, in case the demons return for a dip, and remained on call for Bowie as he continued to wrestle with the forces of darkness.”

Of all the people in this narrative, the one who knew Elmlark the best was Beckley, by far. Beckley was the director of the New York School of Occult Arts and Sciences where Elmlark taught and also co-wrote the Rock Raps book with her. As he stated in his Conspiracy Journal, issue #549, Beckley describes her as follows:

Wallie was known widely as the White Witch Of New York. Because of her contacts in the music industry, she had established quite an eclectic clientele for whom she would offer spiritual guidance, and occasional good luck or love spells, but always of a positive nature. She didn’t dabble in black magick or even gris gris (a New Orleans form of “gray magick” that incorporates poppets and the use of talismans kept in a personal mojo bag). Walli was lively, imaginative, energetic, well spoken, and quite attractive in her flowing white garments complete with fashionable silver moon adornments. Oh did I forget to mention long black hair, complete with dyed green streak highlights? Indeed, Walli made a very bold fashion and occult statement wherever she went.

There is surprisingly little about Walli on the Internet, for someone who “made a very bold fashion statement,” introduced Robert Fripp to the occult, and exorcised David Bowie’s house, you would think her name would be a staple in rock and roll lore—but it doesn’t appear to be the case. I couldn’t find a picture of her, aside from the Bode cartoon above, and the main thing she is known for on the Internet is her authorship of the Rock Raps book. I was unable to find Walli’s obituary.

Spitz says that “Elmlark departed from this plane of existence in 1991.” Based on a few ramblings I saw on a message board I don’t take too seriously, it’s possible that she overdosed on barbiturates. Beckley, overly addicted to euphemism, says, “Several years went by and Walli met an untimely passing as she could not remove the demons in her own life, even though she had a dramatic impact on almost everyone she came in contact with,” before recounting a lot of incidents from the 1970s like the Fripp book and so on. His final words on Walli are, “Somehow I can’t exclude the fact that Walli looks down from time to time and perhaps sings along with David Bowie as he performs all over the world in concert.”

• 11 months later...
5 hours ago, anniemouse said:

I still cannot get my head around the fact he has passed. RIP Bowie.

Yeah, I didn't even know he had cancer all this time. That's why my first reaction was it must be a mistake. He always looked so good in the photos...healthy and vibrant. Shocked me to the core that he really was dead.

Bowie's first truly great album...

There will be a tribute - memorial concert for David Bowie on March 31, 2016 at Carnegie Hall in New York:

THE UNEXPECTED DEATH OF DAVID BOWIE HAS MADE THIS TRIBUTE TO HIM INTO A MEMORIAL CONCERT. WHILE THE SERIES HAS HAD THE SURPRISE APPEARANCES AND PERFORMANCES OF THE HONOREE SEVERAL TIMES IN THE PAST, THIS ONE WILL CERTAINLY BECOME A POIGNANT HONOR OF HIS MUSIC BY HIS FRIENDS, PEERS, AND FANS. WE ARE ALL DEEPLY SADDENED AT THIS NEWS, THE TIMING OF OUR PUBLIC ON-SALE BIZARRE IN ITS TIMING, AND THE SHOW IS TAKING ON MANY MORE EMOTIONS. RIP DAVID AND MAY GODS LOVE BE WITH YOU...

Featuring (so far):

CYNDI LAUPER • BETTYE LAVETTE • JAKOB DYLAN • PERRY FARRELL • ROBYN HITCHCOCK • THE ROOTS • THE MOUNTAIN GOATS • ANN WILSON OF HEART • TONY VISCONTI (HOUSE BAND) 

See link for more info about the event and various ticket packages: http://www.musicof.org/

General admission tickets can be purchased through Carnegie Hall's Box Office: http://www.carnegiehall.org/Calendar/2016/3/31/0800/PM/The-Music-of-David-Bowie/