David Bowie

Roxie

David Bowie's legacy is profound.  The man was always consistent, constantly changed and evolved his look/sound to push music in a new direction and rarely if ever faltered.  40 years into his career, he released an album that was every bit as great as his earlier material.  Think about this for a second.  Can any other musician claim these levels of accomplishment?  Zeppelin and Beatles got inertia after 10 years.  Most classic artists retire into performing their old material or they just release lots of really similar works that lack the impact of their earlier works.  Bowie, on his death bed, cranked out one of the very best albums of this emerging decade and sent shockwaves throughout the industry.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Bowie died way too soon like many other greats.  I think back to when I saw him in Rochester in the 80's.  It was sometime after the release of the album with Fame on it.  He was busted here that same night for weed.  Promised never to return in a packed courthouse in Rochester, NY the next morning and he made good on it.   I would leave this shit hole and never return too if I had the choice. God be with you David Bowie.  You were and are a great great musician!!!!!

Question about Bowie's 1971 release - The Man Who Sold The World.

I'm a regular visitor and member of Discogs and saw that a UK version of this LP sold in March 2019 for $1,493.

The notes for this release say "The album's original UK version, which arrived in British stores five months after the American release. Features the controversial dress cover." 

What’s the controversy? He wore a dress? I know there are a couple of different covers for this release. Is the dress cover really worth a months rent/mortgage?

I like Bowie, but am not a superfan. Hopefully someone can educate me on the rarity of this release.   Thanks!

Bowie.PNG

On 5/8/2019 at 4:00 PM, The Only Way To Fly said:

Question about Bowie's 1971 release - The Man Who Sold The World.

I'm a regular visitor and member of Discogs and saw that a UK version of this LP sold in March 2019 for $1,493.

The notes for this release say "The album's original UK version, which arrived in British stores five months after the American release. Features the controversial dress cover." 

What’s the controversy? He wore a dress? I know there are a couple of different covers for this release. Is the dress cover really worth a months rent/mortgage?

I like Bowie, but am not a superfan. Hopefully someone can educate me on the rarity of this release.   Thanks!

Bowie.PNGirst

Maybe the dress-cover was controversial back in 1971, at least irritating for some "open minded" folks. LOL!

But it is not the dress cover that makes this LP sought-after. It is simply because it is a first UK pressing. First pressings should have the possible best sound. Different pressing plants had/have different pressing quality (=sound quality)

Take a look at the first UK pressings of Led Zeppelin LPs (I - IV), the ones with the plum label, you will be surprised by the extraordinary prices.

• 2 months later...

David-Bowie-Parlophone.jpg.02d52f3059b91ba78341bc630e48a454.jpg

David Bowie to release 50th-Anniversary reissue of 'Space Oddity'

David Bowie's estate has prepped a special reissue of the late legend's breakthrough single "Space Oddity" in honor of its 50th anniversary.

The record will be issued as part of a box set on July 12, one day after the single's official golden anniversary.

The set is available on Bowie's website , and includes two 7' singles, one featuring the original mono mixes of "Space Oddity" and its B-side, "Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud,' and the other featuring 2019 mixes of the same tracks by Bowie's longtime engineer and co-producer Tony Visconti.The box also includes a two-sided poster with the single's original press advertisement and a photo of Bowie taken during the Save Rave 69 show four months after the song's release, an information card and a print with a different picture from the cover art's photo shoot.

The new set is part of a line of merchandise commemorating "Space Oddity," which became Bowie's breakthrough hit when released on July 11, 1969, a little more than a week before Apollo XI became the first manned mission to land on the Moon.

Inspired by Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey, the song captured the zeitgeist and rose to No. 5 in the U.K. It originally failed to chart in the U.S., but a 1973 reissue went to No. 15, Bowie's best showing on the Billboard Hot 100 at the time.

Bowie revisited "Space Oddity"'s protagonist, Major Tom, on "Ashes to Ashes," a single from 1980's Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps), and the again in 1995 with a Pet Shop Boys remix of "Hallo Spaceboy." Peter Schilling had the highest-charting reference to the character with his 1983 song "Major Tom (Coming Home)," which reached No. 14.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/david-bowie-space-oddity-50th-anniversary/

Edited by luvlz2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...