Best Book About Led Zeppelin

djzoso

I liked Keith Shadwick's Led Zeppelin The Story of a Band and Their Music 1968-1980. Focused on how they went about making the music, touring and less on the scandalous stuff. That was Richard Cole's book, which was interesting but question some of the accuracy.

What do you consider the best zep book?

For me it's "Hammer of the Gods" or as I like to call it "The Bible".

:lol: Bible for what exactly?

As a bootleg manual it's quite simply useless.

As an overview of the musical trajectory of the band it's also useless.

As for the stories behind the songs there are two excellent books available on that, whereas HOTG is, once again, completely useless in that respect.

As an overview of the facts about the band's history it's completely derived from other - and much better - sources.

As a source for silly anecdotes and road stories it's long since superseded by several other accounts, including descriptions by the band members themselves in interviews. And in any case, this is hardly what would make a LZ book useful for fans who want to know more, i.e. understand more where the music and everything came from.

This subject has been done to death here recently, but I recommend different books for different aspects of the band. Ritchie Yorke's Led Zeppelin: A Biography for the history of the band; Dave Lewis' and Simon Pallett's Led Zeppelin: The Concert File for the bootlegs and the live career; either Dazed & Confused by Chris Welch or Dave Lewis's Complete Guide to the Music of Led Zeppelin for the stories about the songs; and last but not least, Keith Shadwick's excellent interpretation of the band's musical trajectory.

There is also a wonderful new book with lots of photos called Good Times, Bad Times.

There is also a wonderful new book with lots of photos called Good Times, Bad Times.

I was opening a topic to have informations about this one ..... so thanks for anticipated answer!smile.gif

and about photographic books ............ a part from this one, anyone has some recommendation?

edit:I mean books of collection of photos, better if of big dimensions.

I wrote in the thread for GTBT..I enjoyed the book, but it didn't live up to the hype before its release, IMO. One thing is clear, it does contain alot of photographs I've never seen..and that's after 7 years now scrounging through both forums and RO...so enjoy. B)

...and about photographic books ............ a part from this one, anyone has some recommendation?

edit:I mean books of collection of photos, better if of big dimensions.

"Led Zeppelin - a photographic collection" by Neal Preston is good. Preston was with them a lot in 1975, 1977, & at Knebworth so there are many photos of all those tours. Nice & large too.

Archived