Rolling Stone Brian Jones' Guitar Found After 40 Yrs

SteveAJones

Brian Jones' Missing Guitar At Dentist

BRIAN JONES' first ever electric guitar that he is said to have taught Keith Richards on, has been discovered more than 40 years since it went missing Thursday, December 6, 2007Music legend BRIAN JONES' first ever electric guitar has been discovered more than 40 years since it went missing - at a dentist's surgery in London, England.

Jones, who died aged 27 in 1969, used the Harmony Stratotone on the first Rolling Stones hit, Come On, and is said to have taught Keith Richards to play on it.

The guitar vanished in the early 1960s, and the family of Basil "Tug" Wilson, a dentist, has come forward to reveal he was given the guitar to cover a bill.

Bought for $60 in 1959 by the original Stones manager, Dick Hattrell, the guitar is now thought to be worth $500,000.

Brian Jones' Missing Guitar At Dentist

BRIAN JONES' first ever electric guitar that he is said to have taught Keith Richards on, has been discovered more than 40 years since it went missing Thursday, December 6, 2007Music legend BRIAN JONES' first ever electric guitar has been discovered more than 40 years since it went missing - at a dentist's surgery in London, England.

Um;the last time I checked,Keith knew how to play guitar long before he met Brian.He may have taught him things he didn't know yet,or songs he didn't know,but he didn't teach him from the ground up...

Um;the last time I checked,Keith knew how to play guitar long before he met Brian.He may have taught him things he didn't know yet,or songs he didn't know,but he didn't teach him from the ground up...

That's for damn sure. Other than slide, Keith was the lead guitarist for the band back in those days.

I don't know where people get their info... :rolleyes:

Wow that's cool!! :)

Poor Brian though...RIP. (yeah I always get emotional when it comes to him. He was a pretty sad guy and the last years of his life were difficult and all...pretty tragic really. Sad to die so young.)

Wow that's cool!! :)

Poor Brian though...RIP. (yeah I always get emotional when it comes to him. He was a pretty sad guy and the last years of his life were difficult and all...pretty tragic really. Sad to die so young.)

Yeah, Mick & Keef hosed him in a way, I guess. Brian added a lot of color and texture to the band. But he also got into the hard shit after a while, which sure didn't help. Poor guy looked half dead in 1968. I don't think his fragile ego allowed him to step aside as a leader and let "The Glimmer Twins" handle things. It tore him up, and the downhill slide started.

Yeah, Mick & Keef hosed him in a way, I guess. Brian added a lot of color and texture to the band. But he also got into the hard shit after a while, which sure didn't help. Poor guy looked half dead in 1968. I don't think his fragile ego allowed him to step aside as a leader and let "The Glimmer Twins" handle things. It tore him up, and the downhill slide started.

Yeah, I have many books about him ( I had my Brian Jones period when I was in my teens...felt I could relate to him...you know, teenage angst stuff. lol)I read many things about him in interviews, people talking about him and all, and they all seem to agree on one thing : he was already a very fragile guy and I guess Mick and Keith just finished the job in a way, ya know? Many people said that they were really horrible to him...but that on the other hand, Brian was a difficult guy to be around. This is all just sad. I remember reading that one time as they working on songs in studio, he asked Mick and Keith what he could do on the songs and they basically told him off or something and the poor guy spent the afternoon crying in a corner of the studio and they just couldn't care less...I don't remember where I read this but this story always made me really sad and still does.

It's a shame for sure. The Stones have never really had much luck with second guitarists, I tell you.

After Taylor left (another talented soul who got screwed), they should have just carried on as a four-piece. Ron Wood is the nicest guy imaginable, but his guitar "talents" leave a lot to be desired where the Stones' music is concerned.

IMHO;they didn't really "hose him" as much as has been implied.Brian seemed to me to be a fragile guy from the beginning,yes,but Mick and Keith aren't nearly the fuckin' heartless bastards they've been made out to be in the years since,either.The anology I've always thought of was this:They "kicked him out"maybe,but he all but kicked himself out by that time anyway.

I don't remember the exact details;but it was somewhere along the lines of the fact that he couldn't leave the country;and they absolutely had to tour at the time-they weren't always as rich as they are now,as a matter of fact,they were damn near broke- so they were basically forced to choose between the two extremes.

It's a damn shame it happened the way it did.

IMHO;they didn't really "hose him" as much as has been implied.Brian seemed to me to be a fragile guy from the beginning,yes,but Mick and Keith aren't nearly the fuckin' heartless bastards they've been made out to be in the years since,either.The anology I've always thought of was this:They "kicked him out"maybe,but he all but kicked himself out by that time anyway.

I don't remember the exact details;but it was somewhere along the lines of the fact that he couldn't leave the country;and they absolutely had to tour at the time-they weren't always as rich as they are now,as a matter of fact,they were damn near broke- so they were basically forced to choose between the two extremes.

I was wondering when my fellow Keithaholic would weigh in here... ;)

Good points- and if Brian couldn't join the band on the road, well that's his problem really. He was falling apart at the seams.

Still a shame though. I felt for him. But for the record, Stones-wise: I'm a Taylor fan. So I'm glad MT got the opportunity.

I agree and I personally love Mick!!!! Brian was depressive and pretty f*cked up and I know its not easy being around people in that state. The thing is that I can't help but to feel bad for him. I suffer of clinical depression since my teens and every now and then I have relapses and I just feel like a ghost walking among the living you know? and when I had my worst depression when I was 19 all my friends turned their backs on me...they told me recently that I was too difficult (I would get mad for no reasons or just cry all the time...) and depressing to be around... I just feel bad for Brian and wish someone had lent him an helping hand...

I agree and I personally love Mick!!!! Brian was depressive and pretty f*cked up and I know its not easy being around people in that state. The thing is that I can't help but to feel bad for him. I suffer of clinical depression since my teens and every now and then I have relapses and I just feel like a ghost walking among the living you know? and when I had my worst depression when I was 19 all my friends turned their backs on me...they told me recently that I was too difficult (I would get mad for no reasons or just cry all the time...) and depressing to be around... I just feel bad for Brian and wish someone had lent him an helping hand...

Wow...didn't realize that hit so close to home. :(

Well, I hope YOU are doing better now at least. Just keep the Zep cranked, you'll be OK. :)

Wow...didn't realize that hit so close to home. :(

Well, I hope YOU are doing better now at least. Just keep the Zep cranked, you'll be OK. :)

Not to worry about! :) They kept me alive! ;)

(sorry for spamming the thread...we're a bit off topic...this is about Brian's guitar!!! :unsure: )

It's a shame for sure. The Stones have never really had much luck with second guitarists, I tell you.

After Taylor left (another talented soul who got screwed), they should have just carried on as a four-piece. Ron Wood is the nicest guy imaginable, but his guitar "talents" leave a lot to be desired where the Stones' music is concerned.

Couldn't disagree with this more. Strictly speaking as a guitarist, Wood's playing style was the best fit with Keith of the three IMHO. Sure, they'd peaked before they hooked up with him, but Some Girls and Tattoo You prove that if he had been around on the albums Mick and Brian were, he'd have brought it home. His work with the Faces screams Stones (and is excellent, btw.)

Couldn't disagree with this more. Strictly speaking as a guitarist, Wood's playing style was the best fit with Keith of the three IMHO. Sure, they'd peaked before they hooked up with him, but Some Girls and Tattoo You prove that if he had been around on the albums Mick and Brian were, he'd have brought it home. His work with the Faces screams Stones (and is excellent, btw.)

We'll just have to agree to disagree, my friend. I saw the Stones with Taylor and Wood (72 and 75, respectively) and there was no comparison.

BUT- I do like Woody's work with Faces. Great raunch & roll there. I just prefer Taylor's musical prowess with the Stones.

oops...boy this thread got derailed. Sorry!

Archived