One of Page's Violin Bows on Sale

Very cool, too bad I don't have nine grand lying around.

The John Vogel Ebay auction was in 2001. I saved most of the images which the links can be seen on R-O and on FBO and printed off the auction description. Here's links to the auction description and certificate of authenticity.

I scanned in four pages. I have eliminated his email address and phone number for his privacy. I did not scan in the images he provided from the tour itinerary books.

http://www.behindthetoys.com/images/archive/rob/Scan1J.JPG

http://www.behindthetoys.com/images/archive/rob/Scan2J.JPG

http://www.behindthetoys.com/images/archive/rob/Scan3J.JPG

http://www.behindthetoys.com/images/archive/rob/Scan4J.JPG

John states in the description that he has many Bonham sticks, a guitar pick from Page and a harmonica and tambourine from Plant.

Robert

www.behindthetoys.com

• 2 years later...

I'm a huge fan but I think you've gone insane when your willing to pay that much just because someone touched it. Yikes.

I get what ya mean there... As much as I love him and his playing I probably wouldn't go to such extremes. However I have my own violin bow for playing guitar so all is good :)

I remember seeing this for sale on EBAY several years ago for far less. Mr. Vogel, in "his" authenticity letter says he got it from Jimmys guitar tech, Raymond. Peculiar no last name is mentioned in this "official" document. Raymond Thomas was employed by Zeppelin as a guitar tech from 75-79.

Raymond Thomas (below)

th_raymond_thomas1.jpg

I remember, that back in '75 (or was it '77) that Johnny Carson held up a bow on his show and said that it was part of a Charity Aution, and that it was used by the rock band guitarist Jimmy Page at a recent LA concert. I thought that was cool to hear Johnny Carson mention the name Jimmy Page on National Television.

Of all the Zeppelin artifacts that I would like to have, a used violin bow would be at the top of the list. But, at those prices, that is a fantasy, for me.

i have the original vogel auction printed out, he wanted $30,000 for it at first.

Yes, I meant to say far more, not far less! Thx for the correction. Bottom line is he's going to have a hard time convincing anyone its legit, Not saying he's a fraud, but its just the whole collectible market is saturated with fakes, especially with autographs.

I remember, that back in '75 (or was it '77) that Johnny Carson held up a bow on his show and said that it was part of a Charity Aution, and that it was used by the rock band guitarist Jimmy Page at a recent LA concert. I thought that was cool to hear Johnny Carson mention the name Jimmy Page on National Television.

Of all the Zeppelin artifacts that I would like to have, a used violin bow would be at the top of the list. But, at those prices, that is a fantasy, for me.

Very cool story Rover. I agree that having one of his bows would be having a piece of history. Way too rich for my blood though. I wonder if Jimmy would sell them on his website...he would see ££($$) in his eyes.

Very cool story Rover. I agree that having one of his bows would be having a piece of history. Way too rich for my blood though. I wonder if Jimmy would sell them on his website...he would see ££($$) in his eyes.

Just think, back in the 70's, if we'd had the internet, and, smart phones, and e-bay, after each show, the band could have put up the bow used the night before with a certificate of authenticity, up for auction on e-bay......

Do you know what he did with them after each show? Can you imagine if he had a handful of them and put them up for auction now? How much he would ask for each one? Or better yet, gather the hard core collectors together in one room and have them fist fight over them and have it be a paid per view event. That might be fun to watch. ;-))

I get what ya mean there... As much as I love him and his playing I probably wouldn't go to such extremes. However I have my own violin bow for playing guitar so all is good :)

I've though of getting a bow for my guitar. It looks like Jimmy tears them up really bad when he plays them. Is that the case in your experience? How long do they last?

Archived