Track by Track Day 1: Good Times, Bad Times

I think it's good idea to have a detailed topic about every song, so it will be searchable in the archives for years to come and also be as detailed a discussion with as much trivia and knowledge about a song as possible in a thread. So, we start off with "Good Times, Bad Times".

To me, though it's a great song, it sounds like it would kind of blend in with the rest of the late 60's blues revival music. It sounds ordinary and extraordinary at the same time. Imo it's the perfect start to the album because at first it sounds like not anything special - a typical rock song of the time with a backing chorus. Then it explodes at about the 1:30 mark and it's pure kick you in the ass Led Zeppelin music, led by Page's guitar solo then goes back to an ordinary chorus only to return with singing that's a lot more crazy, starting with "I know what it means to be alone..."

What do you think about the song? What trivia can you share about it? I've heard several times that there's a special thing bonham does that's hard to pull off. I'm not sure exactly where that can be heard in the song though. I don't really know much about technique.

I think it's good idea to have a detailed topic about every song, so it will be searchable in the archives for years to come and also be as detailed a discussion with as much trivia and knowledge about a song as possible in a thread. So, we start off with "Good Times, Bad Times".

To me, though it's a great song, it sounds like it would kind of blend in with the rest of the late 60's blues revival music. It sounds ordinary and extraordinary at the same time. Imo it's the perfect start to the album because at first it sounds like not anything special - a typical rock song of the time with a backing chorus. Then it explodes at about the 1:30 mark and it's pure kick you in the ass Led Zeppelin music, led by Page's guitar solo then goes back to an ordinary chorus only to return with singing that's a lot more crazy, starting with "I know what it means to be alone..."

What do you think about the song? What trivia can you share about it? I've heard several times that there's a special thing bonham does that's hard to pull off. I'm not sure exactly where that can be heard in the song though. I don't really know much about technique.

Hello zeppelincheetah!

Great topic. Since you asked, here is my opinion. Bonham contributed a lot to this song with his ticks of the high-hat, the kick drum and the cowbell.You can hear it! :drumz:

Then Jimmys explotion, followed by JPJ's subtle bass and with Robert's confident voice.

What a perfect song as their first on the album. I always think they put the songs on each album in an order for a reason and I always listen to them in that order.

I didn't think they blended in with the sixties, they were different from day one IMHO :thumbsup:

Good Times Bad Times is the perfect opening song for Zeppelin's debut album. smile.gif

My opinion is that it is too short: it is only 2 minutes, 43 seconds long. It leaves me wanting more of the song. Maybe it was going to be a single?

Robert does not have writing credits for this song, as we all know, he was still under contract with another record label (I believe it was CBS). I don't think that he has credits for any of the songs on LED ZEPPELIN. But Robert's influence on this song cannot be missed.

Jimmy uses his Stratocaster and Leslie speakers, giving the song a Yardbirds feel to it. Robert's vocals are great, and JPJ and Bonzo hold down the rhythm with abandon.

I do think that this song does fit in with the style of the rock songs of the time. What comes to mind to me is Grand Funk Railroad, a band that originated in 1969. Rare Earth would be another band that I would compare to early Zeppelin. They also formed in 1968/69. The song doesn't blend in with the 60's, but it does set the stage/tone for the 70's.

I still love this song as well as the entire debut album. smile.gif

Yes very indicative of a Led Zeppelin song. I especially like the varying pace of it. It starts up slow, picks up speed on into explosion, and back down again.

It reminds me of Communication Breakdown for some reason, but I can't put my finger on it entirely. Probably the chords. I know that on some live sets they'd use the opening riff on Good Times Bad Times to launch them into Communication Breakdown. Both songs on the album are pillars which knock your socks off. GTBT for the first half and CB for the second.

My first taste of the band to let me know whats to come. It does sound to me to have a cross over form the 60's sound and set the tone for the 70's as each debut their sound. Roberts voice, Bonhams thunderus drum, Jimmys guitar and JPJ bass. The beginning of something big and my love affair with Led Zeppelin.

Yes very indicative of a Led Zeppelin song. I especially like the varying pace of it. It starts up slow, picks up speed on into explosion, and back down again.

It reminds me of Communication Breakdown for some reason, but I can't put my finger on it entirely. Probably the chords. I know that on some live sets they'd use the opening riff on Good Times Bad Times to launch them into Communication Breakdown. Both songs on the album are pillars which knock your socks off. GTBT for the first half and CB for the second.

i think they sound alike mostly cause of the solo with the wah pedal in the treble postion and its kinda played in the same area

One of Jimmy Page in Feb. 1969 with his Telecaster, the same one he used with the Yardbird's.

1969-02-14TheeImageClub-FebruaryZep.jpg

Don't know if he was using the same Rickenbacker amp's and cab's in the studio as he did on the first part of the first tour in the state's in early 1969. From what I've read the Rickenbacker's where not up to Jimmy's liking's and he soon started using Hiwatt's, Orange's and Marshall Supper Lead amp's (good move Jimmy!).

vox_ul7120_04yardbirds1968.jpg

I would bet that he would have still been using the Vox and/or Fender rig's that he had in the Yardbird's for the first Led Zeppelin album, but there's no way to tell for sure as I can't find any more info. I'm sure there was a plethora of gear at Olympic when they did the recording's.

john-bonham-influential.jpg

Bonzo was such a good drummer! He had a foot like a jackhammer! I've used a double base peddle to get some fast 16th note's going and it make's it easier to do some of the Bonzo foot work but, he didn't need two base drum's to do the speedy foot thing. I've listened to Good Time's Bad Time's many time's and still I don't think I can hear any Hi Hat's or ride cymbal's at all in the song, just tom tom's, snare, base drum and crash cymbals. That's not the type of drumming you hear every day! I've never seen a cowbell on one of his drum kit's but, I wouldn't put it past him playing one on that song, but I think it was Robert Plant, I also think I hear a shaker of some sort in there to.

I remember reading an interview with John Paul Jones about the first studio session's, he was talking about an old tube amp (?) and a speaker cabinet he was using that sounded so bad that he described it as, "farting out the sound!" :D He was soon changed over to Acoustic amp's and cab's, (good move for you to John Paul!)

Robert Plant was showing us his screaming Blue's and rock side with this album.

I'm mainly a drummer so I can't say a whole lot more that this, other than the whole record is so different than most anything you can find out at that time.

• 2 weeks later...

My older brother has told me that at the time when the first Zep album came out you could recognize all the drummers in town because they all had a limp from attempting these triplets! :lol: And it's a great song. This makes me think of the O2 also - wish I had been there, although I had heard the entire concert three days later. :D

I thought it was the perfect song to start the O2 concert. First song from the first album.....makes for a great show opener.

The song is also fitting because of the opening pace. The opening riff is almost like a tease to the crowd until BAM....full on Led Zeppelin. Almost like the excitement and anticipation spills into the first opening bars and blasts off with the first guitar solo.

Wow.

This is kind of just an aside, but I listened to a solo of Molly Hatchet's Flirtin' with Disaster and there were a couple parts where I said..."hey that's part of the GTBT solo!"

Not the whole thing, but parts here and there starting at 3:05:...Flirtin' with Disaster

Maybe I am crazy...

Yup, similarities. The beginning is also somewhat like How Many More Times.

I think this song would do great as a start for a Led Zep newcomer. The riff is indisputably catchy and the drumming is John Bonham at his very best! The song fits perfect as the opening track of their first album and I think it is a worthy introduction to their music :)

Where's day 2? I'm bored.

Who thinks we'll actually make it to CODA, lol...

How far are we gonna get?

Any wagers?

Dude! As Chris Berman might say, "we're gonna go all...........THE...............WAY!!!!

Live versions?: nada. Well, a few 1/2 versions hiding in Communication Breakdown, notably in Japan (9-29-71) & LA (9-4-70) The 02 Reunion gig has the only complete live version

• 2 weeks later...

Great song. I really like "Good Times, Bad Times". It's great opening track. Actually it's one of the best opening tracks I've ever heard. I've always liked live and fresh sound of the song. It still sounds live and fresh in my opinion. I also like the groovy rhythm and solo of the song. But we can't forget about Bonzo's amazing drum kicks at the beginning. Too bad the song wasn't played more often live, but it still sounded good with "Communication Breakdown" and other songs.

• 3 months later...

I like the song because what sets it apart from other groups is that it is very technical and the musicianship is very great, at the same time you can sing right along with it. I think they were making a huge statememnt with the song, the statement being that, "we have the best drummer, the most tight and technically funky bass player, the singer with the biggest range and most personality and our guitar player is faster and cooler than all others" all wrapped up in a nice little pop tune ready for radio with huge tone.

I can also relate to the lyrics alot, espessially the good times bad times part, and the part about the woman leaving home with brown eyed man but I still dont seam to care.

I like this one to the point where I'd listen to it if it came up.

On a side note, I think it's fitting that this is the music that you hear when you go to the main page of www.ledzeppelin.com. After all, it's track 1 of their first album. It gives you a taste of their repertoire from the origin. Plus, it ain't bad listening: catchy, but not too powerful if you aren't in the mood.

Archived