Them Crooked Vultures Wiltern show even better than Roxy!

Strider

A brief note about Them Crooked Vultures show at the Wiltern Tuesday November 17, 2009...I've gotta get to work soon so don't have time for a lengthy spiel. Besides, no sense rubbing it in that I was lucky to see 2 TCV shows back-to-back.

While the Wiltern wasn't as intimate a show as the Roxy, to my ears it sounded better and LOUDER and the set pacing was better. Grohl and Jones, especially, sounded clearer in the mix than they did at the Roxy show. And it's not like the Wiltern Theatre is an enormo-dome, so from where I was on the floor, while I wasn't just a few feet away, I was still only about 20 feet away with a great view of the entire stage and all the band members.

According to Josh they also played their first encore...although in reality they played the same songs as the night before; they just added a encore break between "Spinning in Daffodils" and whatever the encore song was..."Warsaw" I think?

About "Daffodils"...hearing it again last night just only reenforced my first impression that this song is the gem of the bunch. Don't get me wrong, "Elephants", "Reptiles", and a couple others all sounded good and had a great meaty, greasy rock vibe.

But "Spinning in Daffodils" was worth the price of admission alone...it is the one song that achieves that weird combo of epic pummeling intensity and deranged desert-atmospheric soundscapes that the best of Led Zeppelin and Queens of the Stone Age had.

If you think it sounds good on record, to see "Daffodils" live with Grohl and Jones pounding the rhythm into your gut while Josh and Alain sear your brain with a dual-guitar assault of mind-melting notes...you never wanted it to fucking end. But end it does, with Jones winding the song down gracefully on his electric piano(I detected some patterns he used to play in live versions of "No Quarter" back in the Zep daze).

If you've been on the fence about going to one of their shows, whether for financial- or time- or geography-related reasons...fuck it, JUST GO and damn the consequences!

I guarantee you it is worth whatever the cost just to see them play "Daffodils" live!

Happy to hear you made it in Badgeholder...where were you standing/sitting? I was near the rail, dead center, in the second floor section, right behind the pit.

I promise a more thorough write-up later...my mind is still sifting through the events of the last two nights and there's lots more I want to say about it.

Hey Stryder. I was back on the floor where they had the barstools. Funny you should mention the sound, I thought it could have been a lot better. I've been to the Wiltern many times, and have always enjoyed perfect sound. Not so this time. Kinda loud and blurry, vocals could've been hotter, I thought. But it was still a great show. John Paul Jones, you fucking ROCK! I am hungover like a mofo today. I've never seen so many people in there, just jammed full of people. LA Times has a review of the Roxy gig today.

Glad you guys had such a good time. :)

Strider--great posts (I enjoyed your account of getting to the Roxy, JUST in time!!). You guys are now in the interesting position of having been able to hear the CD before the show. I LOVED them in Boston, but it is sure interesting to hear the CD/studio versions of all these songs now. LOVE LOVE LOVE the disc!!!!! Have been playing it with the knob ripped off- can't believe my poor car has any windows left in it. LOL! :)

Sharon

Actually Sharon, I saw both the Roxy and Wiltern shows before having a chance to hear the album. Got the cd the day after the Wiltern gig.

Badgeholder, no wonder the sound was muffled to your ears...you were sitting in one of the worst spots, by the bar where the stools are.

The problem sitting there is that the ceiling overhang from the balcony prevents the full spectrum of sound from reaching you.

Anyway, here's a taste of the Roxy show...some guy to my right video'd Daffodils and put it on youtube. No good ones from the Wiltern

yet...only Wiltern clip of Daffodils I found was only a minute long.

Actually Sharon, I saw both the Roxy and Wiltern shows before having a chance to hear the album. Got the cd the day after the Wiltern gig.

Badgeholder, no wonder the sound was muffled to your ears...you were sitting in one of the worst spots, by the bar where the stools are.

The problem sitting there is that the ceiling overhang from the balcony prevents the full spectrum of sound from reaching you.

Anyway, here's a taste of the Roxy show...some guy to my right video'd Daffodils and put it on youtube. No good ones from the Wiltern

yet...only Wiltern clip of Daffodils I found was only a minute long.

Hi Strider!

Oh good--so you heard the show at the same disadvantage as most of the rest of us...LOL!!! :) i.e. not having heard the CD first.

Altho, I must admit, I had watched enough on YT before I went that I did have at least a familiarity with all but 2 songs they played. :)

Best--

Sharon

Archived