A Song or Album that took a little warming up to?!

BlackDog71

What song or album (or both) did it take you a little time or extra amounts of listening to for you to warm up to or even love?

The album for me is: "Presence." I found it to be slow and a little boring at first, but i think it might be their most versatile album. So many classics and a few under appreciated songs on the album as well.

The song for me is: "The Rain Song." When i say that i mean that i now LOVE IT! It's probably one of my top 5 (maybe top 3) Zeppelin songs of all-time. I always enjoyed it a great deal but over the past six months or so, the song has taken on a new life in me and i think it's the best ballad the band ever tackled and a masterpiece. I find the song to be flawless from beginning to end. Lyrically, it's my favorite Zep song.

Please weigh in....I'd love to see how this happened for others. Every Zeppelin fan is different and that peaks my interest. :D

For me, nearly all the Zep's work took a little time to catch me. I knew STH from my young age (when I had a mixt cassette (!)). But when I bought Mothership (*), I liked only STH, Black Dog, Immigrnt Song, WLL and, maybe No Quarter. And All Of My Love. (lousy taste, I know :P ). But one day BIGLY hit me. And then, all the other songs revealed to me step by step. Because I begin to search for LZ on YT, and read some of the comments, and so, I found out about other LZ songs, and I was like "Hey! I like this too". Somewhere on the net I found a really beautiful metaphore about discovering Zep, and this is exactly my case:

is like going into a cave, finding a piece of gold on the floor and, when rising the torch, you find out that the all the cave's walls are made of gold.

To respond to the topic: for me, The Rain Song, The Battle of Evermore, and maybe Sick Again were particullary hard to get into.

(*)I bought it because I heard a bit of Black Dog in Weird Al's song - Trapped In The Drive Through

(GENIUS THING!!)

And , also, I heard that bit of Immigrant Song in a famous cartoon movie.:P )

Physical Graffiti.

Took me over a year to really get into it. Now I think it's their best all round album.

Presence alos took me a long time to fully appreciate, although I don't love it anywhere near as much as PG.

For me the songs that I had and still have a hard time warming up to are the studio versions of Kashmir and Immigrant Song ! IMHO, they just don't stack up to the live performances which were out of this world.

Misty Mountain Hop. It was a weak song then, it's a weak song now, and I still can't believe it made the setlist for the 1988 Led Zeppelin reunion in New York.

thumbdown.gif

Steve!!!! I don't believe it!! That song has one of Bonzo's signature beat's in it!!!

Say it isn't so!!! :D

But it's alright I will forgive you anyways...even if your temporarily out of your skull. B)

We still Led Zeppelin friend's?

Steve!!!! I don't believe it!! That song has one of Bonzo's signature beat's in it!!!

Say it isn't so!!! biggrin.gif

But it's alright I will forgive you anyways...even if your temporarily out of your skull. cool.gif

We still Led Zeppelin friend's?

Of course, and besides it's among Jimmy's least favorite Led Zeppelin songs too. cool.gif

Strangly enough it was their 4th album that took the longest for me when I first got into them 25 years ago,, strange now, at that time when I first got into them my fave was HotH for its diversity, but always found D'yer make uncomfortable to listen too..like SJ with MM Hop I find D'yer Maker awful then and now...rubbish but thats my opinion.

Misty Mountain Hop. It was a weak song then, it's a weak song now, and I still can't believe it made the setlist for the 1988 Led Zeppelin reunion in New York.

thumbdown.gif

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?? Misty Mountain Hop is one of Zep's best songs. Perfect example of a Zeppelin stomp. It just gets you moving in an upbeat happy way. Even when it was used in Almost Famous it sounds class. One of Bonzo's best works.

It's much much better than, say, For Your Life (performed at the O2, cripes knows why).

^^

Any respectable person would disagree with that last statement.

No, any respectable person would agree that Misty Mountain Hop is far better than For Your Life. MMH is classic peak era Zep. For Your Life ain't

MMH moves, it grooves it bounces and it, well it 'hops'. Plant is in top form, Jones and Pages are fantastic and Bonzo, well Bonzo just owns the song.

But each to his/her own. I've even heard some misguided people on this forum try and argue that Tea For One is better than Since I've Been Loving You LMAO!

There are a lot of superfans around here who are convinced that Zeppelin never slipped in standard with their last two albums. Oh dear.

For Your life has one of Jimmy's best solos,

Yeah it's a good solo, but I wouldn't say it's one of his best. Too much of the song just drags and Plant somewhat sounds like he struggles with the vocal.

It's not 'classic Zeppelin' by any means.

No, any respectable person would agree that Misty Mountain Hop is far better than For Your Life. MMH is classic peak era Zep. For Your Life ain't

MMH moves, it grooves it bounces and it, well it 'hops'. Plant is in top form, Jones and Pages are fantastic and Bonzo, well Bonzo just owns the song.

But each to his/her own. I've even heard some misguided people on this forum try and argue that Tea For One is better than Since I've Been Loving You LMAO!

There are a lot of superfans around here who are convinced that Zeppelin never slipped in standard with their last two albums. Oh dear.

I wouldn't call them misguided because they prefer one song over the other. It's all subjective and what appeals to them more. Doesn't mean anyone is "right" or "wrong".

In fact, some songs are still cold to me (cold..as in "not as hot" as the others; I still prefer them over almost any other artist's work): YTIGC, WIAWSNB, Friends, MMH, Night Flight, HOFN and In The Evening :bagoverhead:

And I love Tea For One more than SIBLY . And I LOVE For Your Life. And Presence is No.1 Zep album for me. I must be broken.

I wouldn't call them misguided because they prefer one song over the other. It's all subjective and what appeals to them more. Doesn't mean anyone is "right" or "wrong".

Seriously. How ridiculous to think that because you and another person differ on musical taste, you're right and they're wrong.

I happen to think Tea For One IS better than SIBLY, no matter how much I like the song.

I agree with you about MMH and FYL. I absolutely love MMH!! That riff is so awesome - it hit me in the gut the first time I heard it! It was like, POW! :D Seriously, it's one of my favorites.

Getting back to the topic - Achilles Last Stand took a while to grow on me. After about 10 listens, I started to recognize the sheer brilliance of it. It wasn't even in my top 20, but now it's in my top 3! :D

It's much much better than, say, For Your Life (performed at the O2, cripes knows why).

FYL was one of the highlights at the o2 in 2007, only 2nd to Kashmir, it really rocked when it was played live, even better than the studio version !! it has one of those riffs that has alot of time to breath with the space left giving it extra bite.

I agree with you about MMH and FYL. I absolutely love MMH!! That riff is so awesome - it hit me in the gut the first time I heard it! It was like, POW! :D Seriously, it's one of my favorites.

Getting back to the topic - Achilles Last Stand took a while to grow on me. After about 10 listens, I started to recognize the sheer brilliance of it. It wasn't even in my top 20, but now it's in my top 3! :D

I was exactly the same with Achilles.

I was never too exited about Presence, actually I'm not fully into it yet, and I never bought In Through The Out Door. In my opinion these two albums have a whole different sound than they're earlier work, which didn't please me that well. However Physical Graffiti, which somewhat relates to their later style, was more of a transition that worked for me :)

What song or album (or both) did it take you a little time or extra amounts of listening to for you to warm up to or even love?

The album for me is: "Presence." I found it to be slow and a little boring at first, but i think it might be their most versatile album. So many classics and a few under appreciated songs on the album as well.

The song for me is: "The Rain Song." When i say that i mean that i now LOVE IT! It's probably one of my top 5 (maybe top 3) Zeppelin songs of all-time. I always enjoyed it a great deal but over the past six months or so, the song has taken on a new life in me and i think it's the best ballad the band ever tackled and a masterpiece. I find the song to be flawless from beginning to end. Lyrically, it's my favorite Zep song.

Please weigh in....I'd love to see how this happened for others. Every Zeppelin fan is different and that peaks my interest. biggrin.gif

hmmmmm........nothing really.stereo.gif

Archived