Hello from Phoenix, AZ

PhxHorn

Hello from Arizona! I call myself PhxHorn because I'm a professional trumpet player based in Phoenix. My first concert was Robert Plant in '88 in Indianapolis at the now-demolished Market Square Arena. The encore was 'Back in the USSR'. I remember being annoyed that they hadn't played Break on Through like I'd been reading about, but I get the impression the Beatles tune was a bit of a rarity. I had tickets to see him again in October of '88, but Chris Blackwell's broken arm pushed the show into December, and I believe it was the last show of the tour. Much of the material had changed, and I'm glad I caught them twice.

I occasionally get the chance to back up national acts when they pass through town, and had talked to the music contractor who was booking America West Arena when the Page/Plant '95 tour came through Phoenix. I'd seen them using brass with the orchestra on the UnLedded show, and was looking forward to playing the gig with the local orchestra, but they didn't use brass in our segment of the tour. Though a friend of mine did play with them on violin. She told me most of the local string players had no idea who Led Zeppelin was--that's how clueless many orchestral musicians are (but not all). I'm a commercial player (rock/jazz/whatever) as opposed to classical, but I love guitar music too.

I've got a pile of Zeppelin bootleg LPs that are waiting for me to convert them to CD. Maybe someday I'll get around to it. Anyway, I've been planning to join this forum for a long time now, and I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

I'll close by pointing out that I just joined the TCV board, and the new albums is great! Go JPJ!

I had tickets to see him again in October of '88, but Chris Blackwell's broken arm pushed the show into December, and I believe it was the last show of the tour. Much of the material had changed, and I'm glad I caught them twice.

The 10/11/88 Rosemont Horizon gig in Chicago was rescheduled for 12/15/88, becoming the last date of the tour and promoted as the 4th Annual WXRT Concert for Kids. The day of the concert Robert and his bandmates visited the Children's Memorial Hospital's hematology and oncology wards with concert sponsor WXRT FM Radio as well as Sony representatives. Robert was very moved by the children he visited that day.

Is this the show you attended?

The 10/11/88 Rosemont Horizon gig in Chicago was rescheduled for 12/15/88, becoming the last date of the tour and promoted as the 4th Annual WXRT Concert for Kids. The day of the concert Robert and his bandmates visited the Children's Memorial Hospital's hematology and oncology wards with concert sponsor WXRT FM Radio as well as Sony representatives. Robert was very moved by the children he visited that day.

Is this the show you attended?

Yes, that's the show, originally scheduled for October 11, 1988. I skipped studying for a final exam in order to make the 3-hour drive from Indiana to the show, but in the long run, it was worth it :-)

Hello from Arizona! I call myself PhxHorn because I'm a professional trumpet player based in Phoenix. My first concert was Robert Plant in '88 in Indianapolis at the now-demolished Market Square Arena. The encore was 'Back in the USSR'. I remember being annoyed that they hadn't played Break on Through like I'd been reading about, but I get the impression the Beatles tune was a bit of a rarity. I had tickets to see him again in October of '88, but Chris Blackwell's broken arm pushed the show into December, and I believe it was the last show of the tour. Much of the material had changed, and I'm glad I caught them twice.

I occasionally get the chance to back up national acts when they pass through town, and had talked to the music contractor who was booking America West Arena when the Page/Plant '95 tour came through Phoenix. I'd seen them using brass with the orchestra on the UnLedded show, and was looking forward to playing the gig with the local orchestra, but they didn't use brass in our segment of the tour. Though a friend of mine did play with them on violin. She told me most of the local string players had no idea who Led Zeppelin was--that's how clueless many orchestral musicians are (but not all). I'm a commercial player (rock/jazz/whatever) as opposed to classical, but I love guitar music too.

I've got a pile of Zeppelin bootleg LPs that are waiting for me to convert them to CD. Maybe someday I'll get around to it. Anyway, I've been planning to join this forum for a long time now, and I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

I'll close by pointing out that I just joined the TCV board, and the new albums is great! Go JPJ!

Hello PhxHorn

GO Phoenix Suns!

• 1 month later...

I occasionally get the chance to back up national acts when they pass through town, and had talked to the music contractor who was booking America West Arena when the Page/Plant '95 tour came through Phoenix. I'd seen them using brass with the orchestra on the UnLedded show, and was looking forward to playing the gig with the local orchestra, but they didn't use brass in our segment of the tour. Though a friend of mine did play with them on violin. She told me most of the local string players had no idea who Led Zeppelin was--that's how clueless many orchestral musicians are (but not all). I'm a commercial player (rock/jazz/whatever) as opposed to classical, but I love guitar music too. Hello today is 1,3,10 I just popped in to say Happy Birthday to John Paul Jones and saw your post I also live in Phoenix. I also have a relative who is a working musician here in Phoenix his name is Shea Marshall I was wondering if you knew him. He plays with just about everyone. Right now he's playing with a group called Sugar Thieves who are getting ready to go to Memphis for the National Blues Competition. Anyway Happy New Year hope to talk to you soon. Having a Big party tonight I'll be raising one John tonight.

Hello from someone else in Phoenix. I just saw your post today. It's Jan. 3, so I popped in to give a Happy Birthday to John Paul Jones. I have a relative living here in Phoenix his name is Shea Marshall. He plays with just about everyone. Right now he plays with a band called Sugar Thieves who are getting ready to go Memphis for the National Blues Competition in Feb. Do you ever play at Bobby C's? Anyway I've got to go I'm having an epic dinner party tonight so I'll be raising one for John tonight. I hope to talk to you soon.

• 1 month later...

Archived