Track by Track Day 4: Dazed and Confused

^Yes, many of their songs came from those jams. The Crunge, Walter's Walk and Achilles' Last Stand immediately come to mind. Doubtless there are more.

I love the post on the last page about how this was the starting point. I could give a shit about Jake Holmes having a fit about it. He did nothing like what Zeppelin did with it. It's like Colin Chapman complaining about Graham Hill's success in his cars! :lol:

Face it Holmes, Zeppelin put you on the map! :beer:

(Not that I'm belittling Chapman's achievements in any way.) B)

As people say this song probably was the start of their own sound picture, but maybe also their first song to contain elements of occultism and mysticism (by that I mean the part with the bow solo, not the lyrics).

I remember seeing this song live was when I became aware of Page's more mystical and occult side. When Page was wearing one of his famous suits, using the bow on the guitar and doing the ritual where he pointed the bow in four directions he brought out a dark and mystical mood which I only think LZ was able to bring out. In Jimmy's fantasy sequence with Dazed And Confused in the The Song Remains The Same DVD you really see how interested he was in occult stuff.

Yes Ivar, I've often remarked that Page seems to "Call the corners" or more likely perform the Thelemic banishing ritual during the bow solo. I would also consider the How Many More Times bow work to have similar dark tones. But hey, he said he read Magick in Theory and Practise when he was 11! :lol:

Btw, welcome to the forum! :beer:

Yes Ivar, I've often remarked that Page seems to "Call the corners" or more likely perform the Thelemic banishing ritual during the bow solo. I would also consider the How Many More Times bow work to have similar dark tones. But hey, he said he read Magick in Theory and Practise when he was 11! :lol:

Btw, welcome to the forum! :beer:

Unfortunately I haven't got to see How Many More Times live yet, which is a bit strange considering the amounts of live material that I've seen. Anyway, is there any specific live version I should see?

Thanks! I realize that I should have joined this forum earlier, but I didn't know about it until recently when I stumbled across it :P I see now that this forum clearly is something for me :)

Unfortunately I haven't got to see How Many More Times live yet, which is a bit strange considering the amounts of live material that I've seen. Anyway, is there any specific live version I should see?

Thanks! I realize that I should have joined this forum earlier, but I didn't know about it until recently when I stumbled across it :P I see now that this forum clearly is something for me :)

I was referring to the album track actually. But as for live, the version from Albert Hall on the official Led Zeppelin DVD will certainly rip your face off! B)

Mm yes, Dazed and Confused...

My favourite track from LZ1 and possibly the entire LZ catalog, gives me shivers everytime that electrifying guitar solo bursts in.

The live versions are great too, but my favourites parts are when Page is messing around with different riffs and solos, rather than the bow solo. The bow solo is cool and all, but it's almost the same thing every bootleg I have, and it can get kinda repetitive. Especially later versions when the bow solo gets really loud and screechy, hurts the ears. I still think the bow solo on the studio version is best.

Anyway, yeah. Dazed and Confused. Win and Epicness. Pretty much describes it.

Love the 'Supershow' version, also on the DVD. Short and compact, Plant howling away, fog machine and all.

that one was great plus i always love seeing zeppelin perform on tv or giving interviews cause they're so rare, everyone is special

I was referring to the album track actually. But as for live, the version from Albert Hall on the official Led Zeppelin DVD will certainly rip your face off! B)

Ah ok! Yeah, the album track is absolutely epic and the bow part is incredibly powerful.

Ok thanks, looking forward to see it! :)

Amazing song. I simply love "Dazed And Confused". It's one of my favorite Led Zeppelin songs. The structure of the song is really great, riff, bow section, solo and everything else is really amazing if you ask me. I've always liked spooky and scary atmosphere and sound in this song. I also like live versions of this song, it sounds amazing live too. One of the greatest Led Zeppelin songs in my opinion.

^Yes, many of their songs came from those jams. The Crunge, Walter's Walk and Achilles' Last Stand immediately come to mind. Doubtless there are more.

I love the post on the last page about how this was the starting point. I could give a shit about Jake Holmes having a fit about it. He did nothing like what Zeppelin did with it. It's like Colin Chapman complaining about Graham Hill's success in his cars! :lol:

Face it Holmes, Zeppelin put you on the map! :beer:

(Not that I'm belittling Chapman's achievements in any way.) B)

Hi, you're a moron. Go and sink another six pack.

Hi, you're a moron. Go and sink another six pack.

Nope, he's not. If you don't like what Ev said, please go ahead and talk about it, explain your point of view. On the other hand, if you don't like him, that's your business - why should anybody else care? Just stick to the topic.

Day 4 has been an awfully long day. I'm waiting for Day 5 to open up.

I'm not ready for Day 5.

I'm trying to learn each song on guitar as we go...solos and all for each day.

Right now I'm solid all the way through on:

Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You

Dazed and Confused

But am still mastering the solos/wanky guitar work on:

Communication Breakdown

You Shook Me

It's been quite a challenge!

Although from the looks of recent stupid comments, we could probably use a day 5 right about now.

the one thing i absolutely love about this song is in the live version on TSRTS when they break out into the random song aboug 6 minutes in... absolutely love how they weave that into it with no trouble whatsoever

actually inTSRTS,you are{the film}hearing a few takes of dazed squashed together.the audio all comes together,but the film does not.check it out for yourself.having said that,there are numerous bootlegs where the band,as you said,starts on a new journey 6 minutes in.

Amazing song. I simply love "Dazed And Confused". It's one of my favorite Led Zeppelin songs. The structure of the song is really great, riff, bow section, solo and everything else is really amazing if you ask me. I've always liked spooky and scary atmosphere and sound in this song. I also like live versions of this song, it sounds amazing live too. One of the greatest Led Zeppelin songs in my opinion.

absolutely.a symphony for 4 instruments.even if you take prog-rock to the table{yes,ELP}this song without keyboards still is a universe of sound.I just wonder why zep didn't play it from 77'on-maybe jimmy wasn't up to it,although page waltzed thru 35 minutes of no quarter in 77'dazed and confused forever!!!!!!!

• 3 months later...

the one thing i absolutely love about this song is in the live version on TSRTS when they break out into the random song aboug 6 minutes in... absolutely love how they weave that into it with no trouble whatsoever

yeah! i popped in tsrts for the first time in ages recently and found it boring and lame until dazed and confused. oh my god a m a z i n g. i love how at live shows they just went crazy and experimented with different things. you can see how each little piece evolves from show to show too. that piece starting at 5:30 or so and ending at 7 something became part of Achilles Last Stand. i love the crazy stuff jimmy does at 7:01 to 7:26. it's stuff like that that to me is solid proof that he's the best guitar player alive

Undoubtedly the star of Led Zeppelin. I like all the tracks from Led Zeppelin, I appreciate it as Led Zeppelin's debut, and I have the utmost respect for its highly regarded status, but with all that said, the only song I love from the album is "Dazed and Confused".

Archived