Them Crooked Vultures Album

djzoso

I got the album yesterday and i listened to it about forty million times, it's awesome.

What do you guys think?

I agree! I have played it about 40 million times too, already...to the point where I am going to have to be careful that I don't make myself sick of it!! LOL!! :) I only have one track on there that I am lukewarm to...and that is Caligulove. I could take it or leave it, altho it is not a BAD song, it just doesn;t do it for me the way the others do. Right now I would have to sya my 2 FAVE tracks are Mind Eraser, No CHaser, and Reptiles.

I guess I must have missed threads on here where people have been talking about this new album?? Because I can't for a minute imagine there hasn't been any discussion of what all the tracks sound like as the studio versions (vs what we have heard live!).

I have to say I like hearing all the nuances they have put into these songs, that come across in the studio version versus what i heard live. Don't get me wrong...I LOVED the show!!!!!...and all thr AMAZING energy and musicianship. But am also liking hearing the nuances of the studio stuff---I seem to hear something different/additional every time I listen to it. :)

Sharon

I'm only on my hundredth listen myself, so I have some catching up to do with you guys...But - HELL YES this album is seriously great!! I was first hooked on Gunman, but now I'm digging Elephants and Dead End Friends and Reptiles and, just everything! I can't remember the last time I got a CD that I just couldn't wait to hear again and again like this. Already looking forward to their second album!

I got the album yesterday and i listened to it about forty million times, it's awesome.

What do you guys think?

I bought the CD on Tuesday after I got off work. The first store I went to they were sold out of it. I guess that is a good sign for the band! Next store had it. Couldn't wait to get the cd unwrapped and into the cd car player! I have listened to it every day and it just gets better every time I listen to it. I don't think there is one bad tune on it. I don't buy alot of cds and am pretty picky about my music.

TCV ROCKS! :thumbsup:

I really liked this album! I've only listened to it once, but I'm going through it again now, and I can definitely hear Jonesy's influence. The riffs in Elephants and Reptiles are Zeppelinesque, and Gunman reminds me of Trampled Under Foot. There is an obvious Cream vibe in Scumbag Blues, and I love the psychedelic sound of Interlude with Ludes. All in all, I think it's a great piece of modern rock with classic rock influences, and I hope there is more to come in the future! :D

It was good.

Refreshing!

Maybe a little top heavy. Seems like the most memorable parts of the album occur in the first half.

Whether that's my problem or the album's problem remains to be seen so early after it's release. There's a lot of music that's taken me a while to appreciate.

But I can tell quality when I hear it and this album has got it!

Anyone else feel a Carouselambra vibe from Reptiles? best CD I've bought in a long time.

Super psychedelic cant wait to trip out and give this T.E.Kool-Aid.A.T. over the weekend. tongue.gif

I definitely hear Carouselambra in Reptiles.

My favorite tracks are Scumbag Blues and Elephant.

They opened the show in NYC with Elephants. Next time you listen to it imagine the killer intro in Elephants being the very first notes ever heard from the new killer group...And from there it even gets better!!

It blows me away everytime I think of it. It would be an awesome first track, but then again it would be awesome anywhere on the album. I think they put it right before scumbag blues because the end is the reverse of scumbag blues' beginning..sort of. it definitely compliments it.

Maybe a little top heavy. Seems like the most memorable parts of the album occur in the first half.

I remade a copy of the disc with the song list order to match the shows' set list they did on the west coast the week it was released. I think it flows better in that order than on the original disc.

This is the best album, top to bottom, I have heard in a looooong time!! :thumbsup:

Really love Scumbag Blues (with that funky keyboard sound in the left speaker, similar to Custard Pie or Trampled Underfoot), also Dead End Friends, Bandoliers and Elephant. Much like Zep, depending on the mood, every song is great!

I've listend to it about a million times too. It's in my car now and it's the only thing I have listened to during my commutes the past two weeks. There's only two songs I don't really dig and they are Interludes and Daffodils. Everything else is tight. Hearing Scumbag Blues and Elephants for the first time on CD was one of the best things I've heard in a long, long time. They just kick out some awesome riffs and have an awesome sound.

I never got into QotSA, but I got a lot of respect for Josh Homme. He is well well versed musically and has some pretty sinister lyrics. I may have to pick up some QotSA albums.

Now with Robert Plant making a great album (Mighty Rearranger) and Jones with TCV, maybe this will motivate Jimmy to make a kick ass album as well. I have been waiting like 4 years now since he brought up he had another good album in him.

I never got into QotSA, but I got a lot of respect for Josh Homme. He is well well versed musically and has some pretty sinister lyrics. I may have to pick up some QotSA albums.

Pick up a copy of Songs For The Deaf. It is a GREAT disc! Grohl drums on that as well.

This is a great rock album WITH SHIT PRODUCTION AND NO DYNAMIC RANGE

http://www.petitiononline.com/nisst56/petition.html

Sign that if you want a good sounding version of this great album released.

I agree the songs are awesome but the production sucks and way to many vocal effects very over produced. But the songs are great and the feel is there I was hoping for a more organic sound.

They opened the show in NYC with Elephants. Next time you listen to it imagine the killer intro in Elephants being the very first notes ever heard from the new killer group...And from there it even gets better!!

It blows me away everytime I think of it. It would be an awesome first track, but then again it would be awesome anywhere on the album. I think they put it right before scumbag blues because the end is the reverse of scumbag blues' beginning..sort of. it definitely compliments it.

Yeah Elephants is still in the top half though. It's definitely a highlight.

I remade a copy of the disc with the song list order to match the shows' set list they did on the west coast the week it was released. I think it flows better in that order than on the original disc.

This is the best album, top to bottom, I have heard in a looooong time!! :thumbsup:

Really love Scumbag Blues (with that funky keyboard sound in the left speaker, similar to Custard Pie or Trampled Underfoot), also Dead End Friends, Bandoliers and Elephant. Much like Zep, depending on the mood, every song is great!

That's interesting. I might do something like that.

I did start listening to the album starting at Bandoliers (Track 7) and from there to the end is a nice listen too.

Maybe the order is questionable or the album is too long.

Whatever really. I like it still.

Just listening to this disc for the 1,001-st time. If you haven't cranked up the end of Spinning In Daffodils, you must. JPJ lays down some bad ass bass just as the Gilmouresque guitar ends the song. It is, again, in the left speaker and sounds amazing!! Just thought I would throw that out there for those who haven't picked up on it yet.

:peace:

Archived