Christmas Movies

a clockwork tangerine

tradingplaces1.jpg

I bribed my 9th graders with a Christmas movie. I told them if they got their projects done before Wednesday this week (it's due Friday), that they could vote on a selection of movies to watch and I'd bring one in for them to watch.

One of the requests was Bad Santa....yeah. I'd get fired if I showed that! :P

Decorated the tree tonight, watching White Christmas and having a cup of hot chocolate.

I like to collect ornaments. I have many that are very old. And some of my favorite's from more modern times are the collection from Rudolph. The Lion, SnowMonster, charlieinthebox and the pokadotted elephant for examples. Have a real tree. A very large one. :santa:

some of my favorite movies: Rudolph, the Grinch ( the cartoon narrrated by Karloff, do not like the James Carrey version at all), A Christmas Story, and then the real classics like Its a Wonderful Life, The Polar Express, and my personal favorite the 1951 British version of A Christmas Carol with the late Allistair Sim. Oh, Miracle on 34th Street must be mentioned too.

I just watched A Muppet Family Christmas on YouTube yesterday, and I think I'm going to have to add it to my favorites list! I've never seen it before, and being a huge Muppet fan, I thought it was so awesome! It's got everything: The Muppets, The Muppet Babies, Sesame Street, The Fraggles, and a cameo by Jim Henson. It was a real nastalgia trip for me, seeing the Sesame Street gang. If you're a Muppet fan, you need to watch it! :D

A Muppet Family Christmas

I love The Muppets' Christmas Carol. I always watch that at Christmas time. :D

I love Gremlins too! It has a real festive feel to it, without being, as you say, 'cheesy'. :D

Yeah. I especially love the bit where Pheobe Cates tells the story of how her father died when he got stuck in the chimney pretending to be Santa Claus. Ya gotta laugh! :D

I only watch that cheesy flick because Nat's in it:):)

Cheesy flick? The old movies are different than what they pump out now. They spit out so much garbage I cant keep up with it. At least in those days they had some concern for the quality of the work they put on the screen. The older Christmas movies are still watched over and over. Not much effort has been put into newer ones. And the ones that they put out like Elf and the Jim Carrey version of the Grinch were just plain stupid. Terrible. No other way to put it. A Christmas Carol, the english version from 1951 is till my favorite along with its a Wonderful Life. I do love the special effects in the Polar Express. :Love the effects of the wolves and the Eagle in the woods when the tickets blows off the magic train. If you have never seen it watch it. And the hot chocolate scene! ha. Like nothing I have ever seen.

Cheesy flick? The old movies are different than what they pump out now. They spit out so much garbage I cant keep up with it. At least in those days they had some concern for the quality of the work they put on the screen. The older Christmas movies are still watched over and over. Not much effort has been put into newer ones. And the ones that they put out like Elf and the Jim Carrey version of the Grinch were just plain stupid. Terrible. No other way to put it. A Christmas Carol, the english version from 1951 is till my favorite along with its a Wonderful Life. I do love the special effects in the Polar Express. :Love the effects of the wolves and the Eagle in the woods when the tickets blows off the magic train. If you have never seen it watch it. And the hot chocolate scene! ha. Like nothing I have ever seen.

I agree with you that many movies today...inc. Xmas movies...are not well made:)

Got my wife and all my kids to sit down and watch all of It's a Wonderful Life last night.

For reasons I can't fathom, it can't be found amidst all the offerings on OnDemand right now, so I went out and bought it.

Although my 12 year old fell asleep, it was very gratifying that my 16 year old admitted he was surprised to discover he actually enjoyed it.

Life is good.

Got my wife and all my kids to sit down and watch all of It's a Wonderful Life last night.

For reasons I can't fathom, it can't be found amidst all the offerings on OnDemand right now, so I went out and bought it.

Although my 12 year old fell asleep, it was very gratifying that my 16 year old admitted he was surprised to discover he actually enjoyed it.

Life is good.

Yeah, it's one that catches hold and lasts for years and years.

:)

I always watch The Blue Carbuncle every Christmas. It's an episode of the fabuluous Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes t.v series of the 1980s and early 1990s.

In The Blue Carbuncle Brett as Holmes has to figure out what happened to a stolen blue gemstone and how it was found inside a Christmas goose. It's brilliant.

Hi all,

Life is good.

That great! :thumbsup:

KB

Archived