Page/Plant Tour from the '90's

hammered65

Thanks Rock Action, i wish I was at the shows you were! I think Honey Dripper makes an excellent point, that being there and being able to soak it in is what made the night for most of us. I had some of that feelin that had left everybody and we all went 'yaah' bash.

That won't stop me from trying to see and Page ventures in the future but I take objection to the rose colored glasses that get put on when we talk about our heroes. They are human and can get rusty and make bad decisions. I still had a blast at both shows (although the openers were not my bag, Rusted Root..thats a whole other funny story). I have still never heard a crowd go as wild as that crowd for the first show in the Garden, that alone made it worth while.

Heh...the opening act in '95 for me was Tragically Hip.

Well, one out of two anyway. :rolleyes::lol:

Even they said as their set went to a close, "Thanks for putting up with us, and enjoy the act you really came here to see."

Re: "Jimmy not having his chops", etc. on the 1995 P/P tour...

NONSENSE. I was at the San Jose 5-20-95 show and he was right on the money, playing MOST of the leads.

They were nearly three full months into the tour when you saw him that night. I attended nine shows in the US and Europe, between March 31st and July 26th and my opinion is he did not quite have his chops in the early going, but as the tour rolled on he heated up.

I remenber seeing them in Poole in 1995 and they had to reaarange the set due to Jimmy injuring a finger !!! Deja vu or what :) I Think Porl did a good job and it was shame jimmy didn't do the TSRTS solo !!

World Tour 1995

16 July 1995 / Arts Centre / Poole

The arts centre is a small theatre and is great for seeing bands as the floor tends to bounce(due to the fact it rotates with seats that are underneath(for classical etc)when the crowd jump.

I was surprised to hear Whole lotta Love so early on in the set(I since found out that Jimmy Page had injured his hand and had to shuffle and drop certain songs for that night). It was a great atmosphere and the crowd were pretty noisy. It was a joy to hear half of Zeppelin playing some of their classics. Since I've Been Loving you is such a great Song(my fave blues type song), Kashmir was awsome, Black Dog was a great encore and the crowd went home happy.

Set list

violin intro/Thank You/Bring It On Home/Whole Lotta Love/No Quarter/Gallows Pole/Hurdy Gurdy Solo/Yallah/Since I've Been Lovin You & Tea For One/The Song Remains The Same/Dancing Days/4 Sticks/Kashmir/encores;Black Dog/In The Evening&Carouselambra

pp95tic.jpg

I was surprised to hear Whole lotta Love so early on in the set(I since found out that Jimmy Page had injured his hand and had to shuffle and drop certain songs for that night).

Actually, they opened with Whole Lotta Love in St. Austell the night before, so I don't

know about an injured hand being the reason. Entirely possible, I suppose.

Actually, they opened with Whole Lotta Love in St. Austell the night before, so I don't

know about an injured hand being the reason. Entirely possible, I suppose.

Well that was either said in the local paper !!! but it was stated that he had hurt his hand prior to the Poole gig !!

They were nearly three full months into the tour when you saw him that night. I attended nine shows in the US and Europe, between March 31st and July 26th and my opinion is he did not quite have his chops in the early going, but as the tour rolled on he heated up.

Well that's not surprising, considering Jimmy hadn't played the material in a while.

Anyone catch that April 1994 show? I think it was an Alexis Korner tribute. That was hot!

Did you see them in '98?

No, way before that.

Funny. I'm a big Rusted Root fan and loved them as an opener on that first leg. I think Etta James opened for them the second time I saw th em in '95.

Yeah, the joke was every show I showed up to that summer they were the opener. The first time I saw them I was like "Eh, cool drums, 25 minutes is about all i can take". Then as the summer wore on I would get a ticket from a buddy or whatever and show up and ask who the opener and every time it was Rusted Root. I think by the time I saw P/P in the fall I had seen Rusted Root 6 times. I remember my buddy "The Good news is they are coming to Boston. The bad news is guess who the opener is"

I still have a VHS copy of the LA Forum show they did in 1995 with Lili Haydn playing violin at the end of Kashmir. I'll have to pop it in again and take notes. I certainly remember enjoying the show quite a bit. I remember how Robert was able to (momentarily) hit high notes during songs like Since I've Been Loving You and Jimmy was able to play some fast runs without "sticky fingers" syndrome.

But I think it's understood that Jimmy is not a disciplined guitarist. He does not woodshed the way he should. A couple pretty bad mistakes in solos wound up on the Unleded and Crowes CDs, actually. It's stuff that a casual listener wouldn't notice I guess.

No matter what, with Jimmy you have to accept the good and the bad. But from a Jimmy perspective, I think certainly by the 98 tour he was playing better than he did in 1980 or the bad parts of 1977.

How well Michael Lee and Charlie Jones backed them up is kind of a separate topic altogether. I felt Michael Lee had all the physical power of Bonham but not the groove. And Charlie Jones was pedestrian at best. It was half of Zeppelin and felt like half of Zeppelin. They were not able to _really_ jam like the old days because of this, and because of the shorter running time of today's concerts. But at the time, being able to see Jimmy play again for the first time since Outrider was a big deal for me.

No, way before that.

Yeah, the joke was every show I showed up to that summer they were the opener. The first time I saw them I was like "Eh, cool drums, 25 minutes is about all i can take". Then as the summer wore on I would get a ticket from a buddy or whatever and show up and ask who the opener and every time it was Rusted Root. I think by the time I saw P/P in the fall I had seen Rusted Root 6 times. I remember my buddy "The Good news is they are coming to Boston. The bad news is guess who the opener is"

Hah. I saw Root three times that year -- opening for Page/Plant, a headliner show with Toad the Wet Sprocket in Pittsburgh and headlining with Joan Osborne at the end of the year. Clearly, the P/P show was best.

You mean there's a VIDEO for that??? :blink:

I thought I was lucky just having the cd! You lucky dog...

It was filmed by Central Television and the segment which aired is 6 mins 20 seconds.

Basically, it's their introduction and arrival on stage followed by 'I Can't Quit You Babe'.

It was filmed by Central Television and the segment which aired is 6 mins 20 seconds.

Basically, it's their introduction and arrival on stage followed by 'I Can't Quit You Babe'.

Ahhh, OK. I did know that there was a professional recording of ICQYB from that show, in fact I have it laying arund here somewhere. That explains the source.

The cd I have "Together Again" has the full show in a pretty decent audience tape. Nice jams. "Train" started off rough, other than that it's a great performance. Too bad you can't get an official version of THAT.

Archived