$300 for a six pack?

TypeO

Doubt I could drink 'em all?? You pony up the three hundred, and let me do the rest! Of course, I'll need cab fare! :beer:

I don't know Ev...

$300 bucks buys a whole lotta Meister Brau with enough left over for a sack full of Slim-Jims and large bag of Cheetos.

See I already know what you'd do with the money.

Yeah, it's got a high content but it's not really beer, like all the other high volume beer's, they are actually malt liquor's and nothing like a beer at all. They start off as beer but then they are fortified with whiskey or rum or some other type of liquor.

If I was still drinking and I could get it I'd prefer a Samuel Adams Utopias, I gave up drinking before it came out but the Samuel Adams brew's where some of the better one's that I was taste testing in the day. B)

Difference between an Ale and a Beer?

A true Ale has no hops in it, just wheat and barley. Hops where originally indigenous only to part's of central and northern mainland Europe, mostly in northern Germany, northeastern France and Holland. ;)

But thanks for the link Type O it was a cool read.

Yeah, it's got a high content but it's not really beer, like all the other high volume beer's, they are actually malt liquor's and nothing like a beer at all. They start off as beer but then they are fortified with whiskey or rum or some other type of liquor.

Guess you didn't read it very carefully.

It most definitely IS beer, with no added alcohol.

That's how it got listed in the Guinness Book of World Records.

It wouldn't be much of a story if it was just some spiked malt liquor concoction.

According to the blog...

This beer began life as a 10% imperial stout 18 months ago. The beer was aged for 8 months in an Isle of Arran whisky cask and 8 months in an Islay cask making it our first double cask aged beer. After an intense 16 month, the final stages took a ground breaking approach by storing the beer at -20 degrees for three weeks to get it to 32%.

For the big chill the beer was put into containers and transported to the cold store of a local ice cream factory where it endured 21 days at penguin temperatures. Alcohol freezes at a lower temperature than water. As the beer got colder BrewDog Chief Engineer, Steven Sutherland decanted the beer periodically, only ice was left in the container, creating more intensity of flavours and a stronger concentration of alcohol for the next phase of freezing. The process was repeated until it reached 32%.

So no ADDED liquor at all, just an aging and freezing process.

Guess you didn't read it very carefully.

It most definitely IS beer, with no added alcohol.

That's how it got listed in the Guinness Book of World Records.

It wouldn't be much of a story if it was just some spiked malt liquor concoction.

According to the blog...

So no ADDED liquor at all, just an aging and freezing process.

Type-O, your all right in my book guy, but, trust me, it's fortified with Scotch Whiskey dude. There is a lot of whiskey soaked up in the wood of the cast when they pour in the stout beer, after it start's aging a while the two converge and it's no longer beer and has turned to what is commonly called "malt liqueur".

"Malt" for the beer part and "liqueur" for the whiskey part, or what ever is added in to boost the content. Beer can't get any stronger than 6 or 8 % (some where in there) with out fortifying it with some other type of booze to give it a kick. Stout's and Ale's can go a bit higher, but not a whole lot more than say 10 or 12 %.

I'm sure that wine is near the same, 12% or so for a naturally fermented wine, perhaps Champagne is some what stronger.

Read the 3rd paragraph in this article and you will see what I'm saying.

http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/194.html

Type-O, your all right in my book guy, but, trust me, it's fortified with Scotch Whiskey dude. There is a lot of whiskey soaked up in the wood of the cast when they pour in the stout beer, after it start's aging a while the two converge and it's no longer beer and has turned to what is commonly called "malt liqueur".

"Malt" for the beer part and "liqueur" for the whiskey part, or what ever is added in to boost the content. Beer can't get any stronger than 6 or 8 % (some where in there) with out fortifying it with some other type of booze to give it a kick. Stout's and Ale's can go a bit higher, but not a whole lot more than say 10 or 12 %.

I'm sure that wine is near the same, 12% or so for a naturally fermented wine, perhaps Champagne is some what stronger.

Read the 3rd paragraph in this article and you will see what I'm saying.

http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/194.html

My initial response is "I give".

I don't even drink.

But I still haven't found anything supporting your claim.

They certainly claim it's real beer.

And as I quoted in my earlier post, they detailed how they achieved the high alcohol content through freezing and decanting.

I do find it surprising the Guinness Book of World Records could be so easily duped.

I seriously doubt they would list something as a beer if it wasn't.

From what I've been able to research, the smallest whiskey cask is around 50 gallons.

It's hard to imagine there's enough residual alcohol left in a cask to increase the alcohol content of 50 gallons of beer by any significant amount, much less the dramatic amounts they have documented.

And the article you referenced only mentioned the beer picking up flavor from the casks, as opposed to significant increase in alcohol.

The idea being that the beer will take on flavour both from the wood in the cask itself and from the whisky still soaked up in it.

So unless you can show me that they add some other kind of alcohol to make it so strong, I'm afraid I can't buy into your claim that it's not beer (i.e., the alcohol content is added rather than achieved through their freezing process).

too much alcohol. they should have went for a particular flavor and spirit...but maybe they will make enough money off this venture and then do that. has anyone drank homemade wine before...whoahhh. plus, penguin beer...look at the yellow tail wine from australia for marketing. when i was a kid my brother bought this old bottle that was shaped like a pig, was a soda bottle and it didnt have a cap, it had a marble for a cap, built into the bottle. so all the kids at the time broke the bottles for the marble, so thats why there arent many of those bottles around. so, if your going to just be a flash in the pan or go boom and bust, then do it gloriously.

Archived