Jimmy Page Guitar Solos

guitarmy

I was wondering if anyone wanted to try to help me put a finger on why Jimmy Page's guitar solos are so memorable?

I mean, the music I hear being released today seams to contain guitar solos which are just in the song because they are *supposed* to be there. Some guitarist plays something funky and the song moves on.

Really?

How boring.

But when I hear a Jimmy Page guitar solo, it's like *shit is going down*.

I am very biased, but it just seems that Page really knows how to get your attention, break up the song, and send you into bliss.

Take the Heartbreaker solo for example:

Page is making a great use of space. There's a lot of tension at the start, in between the first few licks. Then there's a rise in action, peaking, plateauing, and then slowing down a bit...and then silence!

Guitar/Bass/Drums come in and pick him up to finish the rest of the solo, with a great transition back into the main song.

Now for much of the solo, there's nothing but the guitar.

Q1. How many guitarists/bands today could get away with that?

Usually there's some sort of drums or bass backing the solo up.

But he's just pumping that shit out!

Q2. In general, what makes a "good" guitar solo, Led Zeppelin or not? I know that's a very subjective question, but think about it. There's something about Page's playing that makes it work time and time again, and it's probably a major reason why you're all posting here and not subscribed to the Kings of Leon fan magazine instead :P

Q3. What are the different problems to overcome playing solos live and on record? What did Jimmy have to over come?

Q4. Where has the art of the guitar solo gone?

Q5. There are guitarists that can do laps around Page, but is that really what a guitar solo is supposed to be all about?

We can debate all we want about who's a better guitarist blah blah blah...but I will claim that Page has the most memorable guitar solos on record...quantity and quality wise.

Please don't give me any of the following (it's the easy way out):

1. Who can really say that one guitar solo or collection of guitar solos is better than another?

2. You can't put it into words.

3. If we knew what makes Page so great, then we would be just as good as him.

C'mon, as Led Zeppelin fans, I know you guys know what I'm talking about.

I was wondering if anyone wanted to try to help me put a finger on why Jimmy Page's guitar solos are so memorable?

I mean, the music I hear being released today seams to contain guitar solos which are just in the song because they are *supposed* to be there. Some guitarist plays something funky and the song moves on.

Really?

How boring.

But when I hear a Jimmy Page guitar solo, it's like *shit is going down*.

I am very biased, but it just seems that Page really knows how to get your attention, break up the song, and send you into bliss.

Take the Heartbreaker solo for example:

Page is making a great use of space. There's a lot of tension at the start, in between the first few licks. Then there's a rise in action, peaking, plateauing, and then slowing down a bit...and then silence!

Guitar/Bass/Drums come in and pick him up to finish the rest of the solo, with a great transition back into the main song.

Now for much of the solo, there's nothing but the guitar.

Usually there's some sort of drums or bass backing the solo up.

But he's just pumping that shit out!

Q2. In general, what makes a "good" guitar solo, Led Zeppelin or not? I know that's a very subjective question, but think about it. There's something about Page's playing that makes it work time and time again, and it's probably a major reason why you're all posting here and not subscribed to the Kings of Leon fan magazine instead :P

Q3. What are the different problems to overcome playing solos live and on record? What did Jimmy have to over come?

Q5. There are guitarists that can do laps around Page, but is that really what a guitar solo is supposed to be all about?

We can debate all we want about who's a better guitarist blah blah blah...but I will claim that Page has the most memorable guitar solos on record...quantity and quality wise.

Please don't give me any of the following (it's the easy way out):

1. Who can really say that one guitar solo or collection of guitar solos is better than another?

2. You can't put it into words.

3. If we knew what makes Page so great, then we would be just as good as him.

C'mon, as Led Zeppelin fans, I know you guys know what I'm talking about.

I think the best way to put it in my own experience is that while you are right, there are guitarists who can play light years faster then page, it doesn't matter. With a Page solo, it just always belongs and always feels right. Like if he would've done anything different, it wouldn't feel right. A Page solo grabs your attention, and makes you listen and think about it. While in some generic heavy metal song, the guy can play a lightning fast solo, but you get lost in it, and you don't analyze and appreciate the musical aspect of the solo.

A solo is the character and voice of the guitarists, his one or maybe two moments to shine and shout out loud in a song. That is what Page does best. He puts emotion and feeling into every single solo, and it resonates with the listener. Page's solos have passion, emotion, feeling, and just kick ass.

Just to throw it out there.

Best studio solo: ALS (If you're not moved by that gut wrenching solo.)

Best Live solo: SIBLY- TSRTS (Basically, that whole song was Page's solo, it sucked me into ZEP)

Back then people were amazed with 'the guitar solo.' It was a new thing. Page and many others were still pioneering it. So many people put guitar solo's in songs since then, it has become old. Which is why most modern artists don't include a long guitar solo, or any guitar solo at all in their songs. Today's generation does not have the attention span for them.

I wish I had some fabulous and educated answers to your questions/observations, but to me, Jimmy just makes it look so easy and natural. That's what makes his solos so memorable to me. He's obviously one of the best (if not the best, imo) guitarists ever. When you watch him play, it's as if everything just falls into place without much effort (although I realize it's not as easy as JP makes it seem). Anyway, I'm "rambling on", but I've been trying to learn the guitar for some time now and have a whole new appreciation for how hard it is. I'm having a very hard time getting it!

Cool topic, Guitarmy - I'm curious to see the responses you get to this! :thumbsup:

A1) I think alot guitarists today could get away with a solo like the one on "Heartbreaker" today, but Page set the precedent in 1969. For example I always viewed "Eruption" by Van Halen as a sort of sequal to "Heartbreaker".

A2) A good solo is one any person can hum or sing. Simplicity is the key. To write a simple yet memorable riff or solo is harder than it seems. The melodies that people remember going back to childhood are simple. Page is great with doing that. Allan Holdsworth, Uli Jon Roth, Yngwie Malmsteen & whomever else may play rings around Page but not one of them has come up with a more memoreable riff than "The Ocean" or the solo on "Stairway".

A3) The problem that Page faced was being able to reproduce all the overdubs on some of the more intricate later songs like "Achilles" or "Ten Years Gone". He would run snippets of various themes throughout the live versions that normally would take 2-3 guitarists to play accurately.

A4) I don't think the art of the solo is gone at all. I'll take Jake White's solo/non-solo on "Death Letter" or Johnny Greenwood's solo on "Paranoid Android" than any bullshit shredder from the 80's talking loud & saying nothing.

A5) No. I go back to my answers in A2 & A4, simplicity with orginality.

Light and shade, also variation in tempo, from 128 notes per measure to a slow wail...

He doesn't need to dazzle the listener with virtuosity as Mr Van Halen did with "Eruption". That is a great song but "Heartbreaker" is the greatest rock song ever IMHO.

Just to throw it out there.

Best studio solo: ALS (If you're not moved by that gut wrenching solo.)

Best Live solo: SIBLY- TSRTS (Basically, that whole song was Page's solo, it sucked me into ZEP)

Trust me, I'm not going to say those solos are not good!

I'm currently practicing GTBT and having a lot of fun.

Back then people were amazed with 'the guitar solo.' It was a new thing. Page and many others were still pioneering it. So many people put guitar solo's in songs since then, it has become old. Which is why most modern artists don't include a long guitar solo, or any guitar solo at all in their songs. Today's generation does not have the attention span for them.

You've got a point there. I've got a friend who listens to one of those today's hits radio stations. I played the Whole Lotta Love medley on How The West Was Won and he just kind of shrugged it off.

"Do they do that the whole time?"

"When are they going to play music"

"What are all those noises?"

"It's just him playing"

He is of course referring to all the swirls, shouts of "LOVE!", metallic clanking, guitar noises, and often theremin riddled section of WLL, which anticipates a monster solo of release, following another healthy transition into the main riff!

But you're right, Zoso2112, today's naive listeners are not patient enough!

I think that's a huge problem, because good things come to those who wait.

I'll take tension and release over "just release" any day.

Where's the fun in the non-stop solos or the music that just keeps bashing away?

Break it up...change the pace. Take me through some highs and lows in the same song. Balance impatience with the hint that something is coming.

Those are some challenges that I can think of for musicians today, let alone guitarists.

I wish I had some fabulous and educated answers to your questions/observations, but to me, Jimmy just makes it look so easy and natural. That's what makes his solos so memorable to me. He's obviously one of the best (if not the best, imo) guitarists ever. When you watch him play, it's as if everything just falls into place without much effort (although I realize it's not as easy as JP makes it seem). Anyway, I'm "rambling on", but I've been trying to learn the guitar for some time now and have a whole new appreciation for how hard it is. I'm having a very hard time getting it!

Cool topic, Guitarmy - I'm curious to see the responses you get to this! :thumbsup:

Thanks Gigi,

I'm no guitar expert by any means, but I can tell you that through practice, making/correcting mistakes, and by identifying yourself as a guitarist or musician at heart, you'll be able to accomplish a lot.

I am reading this book, and recommend it to you, or anyone who wants to develop masterful skills in any craft:

The Talent Code, by Daniel Coyle

A1) I think alot guitarists today could get away with a solo like the one on "Heartbreaker" today, but Page set the precedent in 1969. For example I always viewed "Eruption" by Van Halen as a sort of sequal to "Heartbreaker".

could really captivate audiences though. He's got my attention while playing Eruption, that's for sure.

Eruption is kind of up there, but is it in the right direction?

A2) A good solo is one any person can hum or sing. Simplicity is the key. To write a simple yet memorable riff or solo is harder than it seems. The melodies that people remember going back to childhood are simple. Page is great with doing that. Allan Holdsworth, Uli Jon Roth, Yngwie Malmsteen & whomever else may play rings around Page but not one of them has come up with a more memoreable riff than "The Ocean" or the solo on "Stairway".

I will place my answers after your questions, and the answers will be in blue so it's easier to follow...

Music changes over the years and that may be one reason who more guitarists don't solo. However, Slash is still active and he is a monster guitar player... he's more current gen than Page or Beck... Sadly, I think music is missing the guitar...

Mark Knopfler, of Dire Straits, once said that a good guitar solo should compliment the song and take it somewhere deeper, further, without taking away from the song. That's an apt description. Listen to any number of his songs, like Sultans Of Swing, Skateaway, Tunnel Of Love, etc... David Gilmour exemplifies this as well. Page... is always in league with the song, with the moment. As someone else said, his solo's sound exactly like what should be there...

As has been pointed out, Jimmy was one man trying to cover a plethora of guitar tracks, however, what I really love about his playing is that live he never played what he played on record. He always adds something, changes it up... that keeps it fresh, both for him and for us.

Music is cyclical... the guitar solo will return one day.

Absolutely not. All those guys like Malmsteen, Vai, Satriani... all are great, but none have equaled what Jimmy has done. Part of that is about the emotion and heart he put into his songs, and solos. Not that they don't play w/ passion, maybe just that more of us relate to Page than those guys. Just ask David Coverdale...

A3) The problem that Page faced was being able to reproduce all the overdubs on some of the more intricate later songs like "Achilles" or "Ten Years Gone". He would run snippets of various themes throughout the live versions that normally would take 2-3 guitarists to play accurately.

A4) I don't think the art of the solo is gone at all. I'll take Jake White's solo/non-solo on "Death Letter" or Johnny Greenwood's solo on "Paranoid Android" than any bullshit shredder from the 80's talking loud & saying nothing.

A5) No. I go back to my answers in A2 & A4, simplicity with orginality.

Then you are right! The main thing that got Eddie Van Halen interested in guitar playing was his admiration of Jimmy's solo in Heartbreaker, largely due to its tapping, which was something completely new at that time. This tapping inspired Eddie to such an extent that he later developed some remarkable tapping skills which became his most famous trademark.

However, this solo has also inspired many more and especially bands within the metal genre(s), as for example Metallica just to name one.

Hi, I'm new here, but have been visiting for a long time, reading all this great stuff about Zep, which is my favourite band and I'm really an obsessed fan!!

Anyway, the great thing about Jimmy's solos is, that they fit perfectly in the song and they are perfectly composed and every note is important and it's not like some gutarists, who just play some random notes, where the solo comes. Jimmy's solos are perfect and compliment the song,

because he is such a great phraser and he composes every little part of the solo, to work fantastically and that's why his solos are so memorable!!!

He was also great at improvosing live and playing different every night, but still keeping the feel of the solo, that was there on the album.

There are quite many guitarist, that are better techicaly, but a lot of them play to many random notes, that lack the composition of Pages solos.

Jimmy's solos are also very emotional and they touch your heart!!

Hi, I'm new here, but have been visiting for a long time, reading all this great stuff about Zep, which is my favourite band and I'm really an obsessed fan!!

Anyway, the great thing about Jimmy's solos is, that they fit perfectly in the song and they are perfectly composed and every note is important and it's not like some gutarists, who just play some random notes, where the solo comes. Jimmy's solos are perfect and compliment the song,

because he is such a great phraser and he composes every little part of the solo, to work fantastically and that's why his solos are so memorable!!!

He was also great at improvosing live and playing different every night, but still keeping the feel of the solo, that was there on the album.

There are quite many guitarist, that are better techicaly, but a lot of them play to many random notes, that lack the composition of Pages solos.

Jimmy's solos are also very emotional and they touch your heart!!

What you say is very true, however I wonder why Page's solos touch my heart but Clapton's don't. Is it because Led Zeppelin songs were more suitable for Page's talent? Or is it just personal preference? Clapton is the only other guitarist I can compare to Page, Van Halen and Slash are great but don't have the emotional impact.

Well Clapton played some great solos, but they were never as greatly composed as Pages, where every notes is important in the creation of a perfect solo!!I also think that Page's solos simply have more emotion then Clapton's, although Clapton can played with emotion too!!

Clapton solos are also very slow many times, so that might make them a bit boring!!

Well Clapton played some great solos, but they were never as greatly composed as Pages, where every notes is important in the creation of a perfect solo!!I also think that Page's solos simply have more emotion then Clapton's, although Clapton can played with emotion too!!

Clapton solos are also very slow many times, so that might make them a bit boring!!

If you want to hear Clapton really playing in his element, check out the soundtrack to a movie titled Rush, from the early 1990's. Some great blues playing and is also where his ballad, Tears In Heaven originated from.

This Clapton's solo at the end of I shot the sheriff is incredible!! Just wait for the end of the song!!!:

I know this topic is about Jimmy's solos, but Clapton is his contemporary and they are friends and bouth are great and most of us know all the great Page solos, so here is one really amazing form Clapton!!

What you say is very true, however I wonder why Page's solos touch my heart but Clapton's don't. Is it because Led Zeppelin songs were more suitable for Page's talent? Or is it just personal preference? Clapton is the only other guitarist I can compare to Page, Van Halen and Slash are great but don't have the emotional impact.

Whether a musical piece like a solo touches you depends how it communicates with your emotions, if that's a way to put it. For another person Clapton's solos may be more touching than Page's. As I see it though, people who love either one of Page or Clapton will also have at least a decent interest in the other one, since they aren't that different. But of course what touches one is a very individual matter.

This Clapton's solo at the end of I shot the sheriff is incredible!! Just wait for the end of the song!!!:

I know this topic is about Jimmy's solos, but Clapton is his contemporary and they are friends and bouth are great and most of us know all the great Page solos, so here is one really amazing form Clapton!!

Thanks for the link. Great solo, I would never heard it as I don't like the song...

Yeah, I can see where you may mistake Eric Clapton's (mainly with Cream) playing with some of the thing's that Jimmy Page was doing but, I think that like some of you have touched on already Jimmy Page didn't just stick a solo where and how it was needed, he was also in on the process of making the recording's.

This will make such a huge difference in how a recording will come out after it's been tracked, over-dubbed, processed, mixed in a studio and eventually mastered and mass produced in a duplication plant.

This time (late 1960's and early 1970's) was also a very new phase in the way recording's where made and it gave way (in leap's and bound's) to the mega-recording facilities we have today, it's quite easy to get lost in all that new and vastly, quickly evolving gear we are seeing today. So that is where I think (if you ask me) all the "over-producing" as many are calling it now sound is coming from. There is so much new gear and old gear being re-invented and hybrid's of old and new gear, and idea's too! Let's not forget about the approach of doing this thing we all call music!

I don't think there is anything wrong with the newer sound's and it is something different so it is creative in it's own way! I like lot's of type's of music so I don't do too much discriminating but I can feel your argument's. I'm sure Led Zeppelin was placed in a similar category in their early day's too.

In the 1950's there was just a microphone and a primitive mixer set up in a room with barely acceptable (in today's standard's) construction technique's and a 2 or 4 track (if you where lucky) recorder. The guy's running the equipment where electronics/acoustical engineer master's and used a pocket protector so the slide rule and pen's wouldn't mess up their clean white shirt's. They set the dial's punched the record button and waited till the end of the song, the processing was not to hi tech but the gear was very good and basic, plus, the white shirt and thin black tie guy's did know how to use it!

Jimmy Page is also a very good song writer! So is Robert Plant! Having a well put together song will give you better odds at getting people's attention too.

I once heard a rare clip from a late Yardbird's concert just before Jimmy Page split and formed Led Zeppelin, Jimmy was playing lead guitar running up and down the fretboard going through lot's of scale's at a high (for those day's) rate speed, every time he would do it the audience would scream there head's of with excitement! I don't know if it was because they had just heard something new or that Jimmy was doing this and not making any mistake's in the process. I don't know for sure but I don't think there was to much like that going on in the mainstream of POP music at that time. Sure, there had always been "Flamingo" style guitar player's playing "Classical" guitar's for centuries but not an electric guitar in a popular music setting.

I too think the "Heartbreaker" solo is a great example of how Jimmy Page is such a good guitar player but like I said, with out a good song and a good bit of knowledge of how to make it all come together your just taking a stab at it, good or bad. B)

I remember hearing Brian May saying a solo is like a window, where you look out and look at a new landscape, before returning back inside. His solo's like Page are like mini musical statements within the frame work,so Page was good at creating something new and intresting constructing sometimes melodic and sometimes off the wall, but always making the solo fit with the music and not just playing over the chord progression with random notes.Where as wanking guitarists (musicians) play a zillion notes to create a good effect but not alot of musical content.

However there are guitarists who are technically very good and still are able to come up with hummable and lyrical solo statements like Nuno Bettencourt and Steve Morse, so whether your a technical, feel or both there are some who can pull it off like those mentioned.

Page's most lyrical solo for me as have said on posts over the years is the one from ALS..its simmply brilliant, musical, has an element of technique and above all feel, it fits the song and not an element of blues in it, if it was blues then SIBLY is in my opinion the best of the blues genre.!!

I remember hearing Brian May saying a solo is like a window, where you look out and look at a new landscape, before returning back inside. His solo's like Page are like mini musical statements within the frame work,so Page was good at creating something new and intresting constructing sometimes melodic and sometimes off the wall, but always making the solo fit with the music and not just playing over the chord progression with random notes.Where as wanking guitarists (musicians) play a zillion notes to create a good effect but not alot of musical content.

However there are guitarists who are technically very good and still are able to come up with hummable and lyrical solo statements like Nuno Bettencourt and Steve Morse, so whether your a technical, feel or both there are some who can pull it off like those mentioned.

Page's most lyrical solo for me as have said on posts over the years is the one from ALS..its simmply brilliant, musical, has an element of technique and above all feel, it fits the song and not an element of blues in it, if it was blues then SIBLY is in my opinion the best of the blues genre.!!

OK, I see your point there and I will add Alex Lifson (Rush) to your list of after Jimmy Page guitar player's that can rip it up and still have some feel in the process. I do have to disagree with you on Achilles Last Stand, I can hear lot's of Blues in it! But how ever you hear it is how ever you hear it. B)

OK, I see your point there and I will add Alex Lifson (Rush) to your list of after Jimmy Page guitar player's that can rip it up and still have some feel in the process. I do have to disagree with you on Achilles Last Stand, I can hear lot's of Blues in it! But how ever you hear it is how ever you hear it. B)

Yes Alex is a wonderful musician and agree with you, ALS, I just don't hear the blues in it, but thats the talent of Jimmy that he can play stuff that to me sounds different to me, JPJ's galloping bass line is also great in it, well all of them really.

The truth is that i'm a young 16 years old portuguese boy and i fucking love jimmy page and led zepplin, the solos still make me feel crazy even when hear them for a million times

This guys will never die, they are the best of history in my opinion, the riff of whole lotta of love or kasmhir will be in our minds for ever since the moment you first hear them. epic songs like stairway to heaven or good times bad times will be on our playlists forever.

This kids of today with there britney spears and onther unmensionable artists will forget them and start listening to another crapy songs. But still there are a few of us that are sorry to be born a litlle to late to see the GODS of rock.

Long live led zeppelin and lets pray for our youngsters so that they can find out there way out of the plage of bad music that is killing our world

I DO LOVE MUSIC AND I HATE TO SEE WHAT'S GOIN' ON

• 2 weeks later...

IMHO Jimmy could take a song in any direction for an extended period of time live on stage and somehow the band just brought it all back together. While it's to hard to say what is my favorite as there are so many. This is just one of the reasons (video posted.) I still think STH is the best song. The most beautifully, mysteriously written and played ballad.

I believe there are several contributing factors as to the character of Jimmy's playing. First of all if you ever want anything done right do it yourself or get a capricorn to do it. (I can say that because I'm a capriorn and capricorns don't believe in astrology). Secondly you must look at the time. Fortunately Jimmy was living at a time when there was tons of talent, London was teeming with driven musicians. They all loved the blues and jazz rock and roll. And they all knew they had to figure how to express that inspiration in a personal way. There also seemed to be an intense spirit of competition much like Chicago. Watch Cadillac Records. You had to be different. Nobody wants another Clapton, or Beck, or Townsend. What do you have to say? The audience wanted variety, they insisted on it. The record industry welcomed it. You had great liberty to go in the studio and be left alone. Try getting Atom Heart Mother recorded today. Not going to happen. Most importantly Jimmy's background in the business before joining The Yardbirds gave him a wealth of experience in just how different artists get songs to work and different ways of incorporating several ideas in a theme. Jimmy also understood you don't have to do everything all at once. That's a great idea, for a different piece. At that time having an Indian or Arabic feel to pieces was cool and hip and in. Even the Stones had that going on. What a bonus it was if you liked it. That fierce competition brought the best out of everyone thereby elevating everyone. Does that make sense? Or... Led Zeppelin does alot of Modal playing which lends it'self to suspense and emotion, ups and downs twists and turns. Most of all make it sexy and passionate. Live, it can't sound like you're playing an album at volume 11. Sex, improvisation and announce your presence with authority. While being scared #$@(&*....less and feeling very lucky.

One more thing Tom Petty said and I'm paraphrasing... We took it as our mission to rid the Earth of disco... I hope we are all agreed that had to happen. While the bands we counted on were either in a state of dissaray,apathetic, contenplating other options, going through their bad time, in other words sucking; Even Punk seemed to give people more enjoyment arguing about it than listening to the music they did like. Along comes Van Halen who with some help from a few friends erradicated one of the worst plagues the world has ever seen. They were the London fire. You must know we anticipated the In Through The Out Door concert tour with a vengence. It's like it couldn't happen soon enough. Our mantra was...Quit sucking and put an end to this please. That was in the back of our minds at all times. Led Zeppelin was the only force great enough to put an end to this once and for all. It didn't happen that way and it didn't happen without Tom Petty, The Wall and Van Hallen. So what? How is this relevent? It's relevent because anybody says anything derogitory about Van Halen has to see me. It's relevent because Eruption was not a short exploding guitar solo before You Really Got Me. It was the blue torch paper that lit freedom. As was Communication Breakdown before that and A Hard Days Night was before that and Maybeline was before that and Hoochie Coochie was before that. How's that for authentic fan based web site jibberish? Sorry about any spelling errors.

Archived