The WHO to perorm halftime at Super Bowl Feb. 7, 2010

The Rover

Paul McCartney and the Rolling Stones were perfect individuals with family wholesome histories. Not to mention Jacko and Prince.

Bruce Springsteen cheated on his wife, divorced her, then married the woman he was sleeping with. That's a wholesome history right there, as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Who rock the halftime show (news conference & Unplugged performance)

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/02/04/the-who-rock-the-halftime-show-news-conference/

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — It generally takes a lot to get a group of reporters to cheer for anything, but The Who’s Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend accomplished just that Thursday.

Reporters turned spectators as the two Rock and Roll Hall of Famers treated everyone to a brief acoustic performance to kick off their Bridgestone Halftime Show news conference.

After a brief introduction by NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy, Daltrey and Townshend started off with a mellow version of “Behind Blue Eyes.” Their smooth transition into “Pinball Wizard” received a nice cheer from the crowd, which, to be fair, was probably less media than it was fans — everyone’s camera phones were firing.

Afterward, Daltrey and Townshend briefly answered a few questions, including one about the Colts’ tradition of running on to the field to The Who’s music before every home game and whether that had an effect on the band’s rooting interest in the Super Bowl.

“That’s an incredible honor for them to do that,” said Daltrey, who admitted that he actually has never been to an American football game before. “All I care about is that the best team wins and that it’s an interesting game. That you get a good one and not a boring one. But if I had to pick, I’d say that New Orleans is due a little bit of luck, so I’m going with the Saints.”

“In that case, I’d go for the Colts,” Townshend replied.

Daltrey also made a crack at how little time they will be performing relative to the length of the game.

“We’re going to be playing for about 12 minutes at halftime,” he said. “But I’ve heard if you take out the commercials, there’s about 11 minutes of playing.”

“We’re going to be playing longer than the players,” Townshend added.

Before exiting, Daltrey and Townshend left everyone with one last song, “Won’t Get Fooled Again.”

After my first time seeing the band perform live, I’ll say this: It was the best news conference I’ve ever attended.

– Aron Angel

Here in England (scotland, wales & ni too) The game will be shown by the BBC with absolutely no commercial breaks whatsoever...............So we will be getting some in depth analasys of the game, replays and other related stuff during your many many commercial breaks.........Whey-hey no adverts....is'nt that great......BTW i watch most years, mainly for the half time show I loved seeing Janet Jacksons nipple...could not believe the outrage that caused, it brought home the fact that there are some pretty pathetic people out there :o:o:o:o .....I suppose this time with The WHO they will be on a delay in case Roger Daltrey sings the line (in My Generation) .."why dont you all fffffffuck off)....better not let that happen someone might get killed !!!!!!!!!!... :

Well since it's an event millions of people are going to be watching, not to forget that the line is actually "ffffffade away", I doubt he'll say it

I know the line is fffffade away..........but Roger has sung the line fffffuck off. I was being slightly sarcastic....Some Broadcasters leave nothing to chance by using a delay.. It's pathetic pandering to the kind of people who have no life.......The odd nipple or 2, or the occasional f word never harmed or corrupted anyone.... so why get upset... like i said..pathetic people.

They just need to pack it in, and be done with it. They were terrible tonight, and were certainly the wrong act for this kind of thing. They had no energy.

I didn't think they were too bad, better than I anticipated actually. I thought the stage was super cool, setlist predictable, Roger predictably winded. Also I don't know if anybody caught the lip-synching there for a few seconds. All in all, better than any myriad of lame-ass contemporary acts we could have gotten nowadays.

As a person who always loved The Who above all others, this pains me beyond description. Daltrey and Townshend and six other guys on stage does not make it The Who, not even close. When halftime comes around I'll either walk out of the room or flip the channel to something else.

When John Entwistle died, he took the Who sound with him. I wish Townshend would finally realize this. Enough already for God sakes.

Regards;

I agree with your quote, "Daltrey and Townshend and six other guys on stage does not make it the Who". Actually from what I saw it was Daltrey and Townshend and four other guys on stage. Don't get me wrong because I love the Who, but when a band that originally consisted of four members now seems to consist of six members and only two of them are original members and they still call themselves the Who, well, that is a bit misleading and false (or whatever) in MY mind. Oh well, I still love the original WHO.

I thought they looked pretty good considering, but Pete should've tucked in his shirt better. (Not a big Pete fan anyway...) Also I knew they would play Baba O'Reilly and Who Are You since they are the theme songs for CSI NY and Las Vegas (also CBS shows; shameless plug). My sister called at halftime so I missed a lot of their set actually (I was very surprised she wasn't watching; she was the "Who Head" back in the day).

Oh and warbling like an egyptian thru places like North Dakota was so much more reputable ! :P

The Who were a great band and are in some ways a direct ancestor of Led Zeppelin (as well as a source of the name), and I'm no big fan of Robert Plant's solo efforts, but I kind of have more respect for performers who are still willing to go out and fail with new material rather than rest on thirty- or forty-year-old laurels. Too many of classic rock's greatest acts have deteriorated this way - when they turn themselves into an oldies or greatest-hits show, they're not much different than the Frank Sinatra / Bing Crosby / Elvis Presley generations they stood in such contrast with in the 1960s and 70s. At the very least, retaining the title of "The Who" after half the original lineup has gone to the Great Gig in the Sky is pretty cheesy; playing before millions of football viewers even cheesier.

But my dreams, they aren't as empty / As my conscience seems to be...

Archived