The WHO to perorm halftime at Super Bowl Feb. 7, 2010

The Rover

Hi LDW, smile.gif

Someone "dying" of emphysema is in what the medical community terms "end stage" emphysema, or COPD. In that state, a person would need oxygen 24 hours a day and would be very limited in any type of physical activity that they could do. Obviously, this doesn't fit with Roger.

But in the beginning early stages of COPD, a person exhibits the symptoms that I mentioned: shortness of breath, getting winded, leaning forward to breathe easier, barrel chest. It is a progressive disease and it does get worse over time, especially if a person continues to smoke once they begin having early symptoms. For most people, the symptoms begin in a person's late 50's to mid 60's. Most people with severe COPD rarely live past age 75. That is just the epidemiology of the disease.

Roger Daltry does indeed exhibit symptoms of early emphysema. I have seen hundreds of patients with it, and my husband takes care of patients in the hospital on a daily basis with it. It is a very common disease. Roger's behavior is consistent with early COPD symptoms. It's not just because he is 64 or 65 years old. You can't blame the winding just on his age.

And my mother-in-law was a health nut as well as a clean freak. And she continued to smoke all of her life, until she died of emphysema and lung cancer at age 66. Being a health freak doesn't keep you from getting a disease like emphysema, particularly if you are a smoker, or even if you had been a former smoker at a younger age.

A person can get COPD from other sources, too, even if they had never smoked before.

I am just making a medical observation (that's what I do for my job) to explain why I think that Roger was winded, as someone pointed out previously.

Hi, Buck :wave:

Oh, I wasn't questioning the validity of your claim, since I noticed he was hunched too, but merely pointing out that I, somehow, had the impression he led a relatively 'clean' life of late. I was also agreeing with Aqua in that I don't recall ever seeing a picture of him smoking. But then, since I'm not a big fan, I wouldn't have looked out for one.

Hi, Buck wave.gif

Oh, I wasn't questioning the validity of your claim, since I noticed he was hunched too, but merely pointing out that I, somehow, had the impression he led a relatively 'clean' life of late. I was also agreeing with Aqua in that I don't recall ever seeing a picture of him smoking. But then, since I'm not a big fan, I wouldn't have looked out for one.

I know, I was was just making a clarification. friends.gif

I really like Roger, Pete, and The Who alot, but have not followed their careers, either, and I have never seen photos of Roger smoking, either.

The Who are my youngest son's favorite band, and he has the video Amazing Journey: The Story of the Who. I have watched it several times and remember only seeing Entwistle smoking in it.

It really doesn't matter one way or the other. I did enjoy seeing them perform, and am glad that they are still able to do it.

I really enjoyed their performance.

Considering it was 12 minutes long I think they did great to come out and play so well with a good variety of some of there better known tunes. The light show was awesome.

Roger looks great he is 66 next month and sounds pretty damn good to me.

A side note besides doing his rock gigs and acting he does some amazing charity work including the "Teen Cancer Trust" along with many other artists this year it will have "Them Crooked Vultures" performing.

http://www.teenagecancertrust.org/who-we-are/media-centre/press-releases/teenage-cancer-trust-confirms-fastest-selling-roya/

They showed me that the NFL needs to drop the "old heads" routine and get fresh acts in there. That being said, Prince is still best halftime show I've ever seen. He fuckin' rocked! B)

He was. The best I've ever seen for the Super Bowl.

U2 were pretty good too for the 2002 Super Bowl. AC/DC or Van Halen I think would be a good choice next year if they decided to go with older acts. I missed the whole Who set, but people everywhere have pretty strong opinions about it. I'm almost glad I missed it & I'm resisting watching it on youtube simply because I just watched "The Kids Are Alright", "Live At Kilburn", & "Live At The Isle Of Wight" all last week. I'm sure no matter how good or bad they played at the Super Bowl I'd only be let down compared to those past glories.

Archived