New Album with Plant,Jones,Page,Bonham

The Wizard

163 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want some new music?

• Yes
    • No

I hate to say it, but no not really. I don't want to see a 2007 Led Zeppelin put out an album today under the same name. To much time has past. At least the WHO picked up their jocks and carried on.... legitimizing the Kenny Jones era somewhat. (hell, I'd have to put Eminance Front in my top 5 Who tunes) but they were in the 80's doing an 80's thing. Now I'm all for members of Zep working w/ each other.......or Id be all for them doing a single tune ala Free As A Bird (posthumous Lennon Beatles song) to a Bonzo drum track from a lost song( <_< ). And include it as a bonus along w/ other Zep material from the archives. But when I think of Led Zeppelin, I still can only picture 4 guys that carried two torches, one the rambunctiousness of the 70's, the second the wavering free spirit of the 60's. They stepped not only on the stage, they let all ten toes hang off the edge like a high diver on a platform..teter tottering. Each and every night walking on the edge with a purpose of deafening the hoards, bedazzling the naysayers, and outright blowing the doors off the competition. This band had cohones grande!!! That was a band that thrived on an era as much as an era thrived upon them. It cannot be repeated. The heaviness and clarity remains.....but the spirit of that era has left the building. Whatever they do...let it be known, they are treading on sacred ground.......just my opinion.

I would love to hear some totally new Led Zepplin and I think the boyz have their work cut out for them lets face it "ITS LED ZEPPLIN" we're talkin about here not just another cash grab like something The Stones will throw together just as an excuse to tour under !!!

I sure hope they don't go that route ..........

RjK

• 2 weeks later...
I voted no...(Please don't slap me!!!) I voted no because it just doesn't feel right for them to record without Bonzo. I want them to tour with all my heart! But new record, new songs? Feels like they're cheating on Bonzo. Sorry, that's just the way I feel. :(

I agree. That's like cheating on Bonzo.

Of course I want new music. I think most would. The only reason I would vote "no" because of their larger than life legacy. Expectations would be so high, that even a very solid album by all other standards could come out as a mediocre effort and would give the naysayers a reason to say "I told you so". At the same time, trying to 'top' or 'outdo' themselves would make it seem too forced and contrived.

Anyway, I would love to see it because I believe that if they did decide to do it, that they would all expect the very best out of it. If they really want to do it, and enjoy making it, it will be good.

please let them be even if bonzo was alive we still be begging for a tour

Who wouldn't want new material as Led Zeppelin? Do you think if they thought it wasn't up to their personal standards they would release it? Something forced and contrived. These guys wouldn't do that.

Some people in this thread opinionate that it's "Like cheating on Bonzo" or that it would be a cash grab like the Stones -"Please don't call it Led Zeppelin" That's insane. If these gents wanted a cash grab they could've done it with incessant touring years ago. The three surviving members of The Greatest Rock Band on earth may do an album of new material nearly 30 years after their last with their deceased dear friend's son-who by the way-plays the same instrument professionally and is an excellent musician in his own right-and they can't call it Led Zeppelin? I suppose then they should've hyped the O2 show as something other than Led Zeppelin? Should they have taken the name "The New Yardbirds" or "The Moondogs" and done the show? John Henry Bonham died in 1980. Not Led Zeppelin- It's alive and vibrant- Just go put on a disc and listen to it. The music stands by itself and transcends time. These gents own that name-and if they decide Jason should be inclusive in that name isin't it their say so? Who are we too say it can't or shouldn't be released as Led Zeppelin-Do we own exclusive fan rights to decide-Are we the conscience off Mssrs. Page, Plant, Jones and young Mr. Bonham? Somewhere-in another dimension John Henry is kicked back with his chest popped out saying "That's my boy- He's sittin' in for me-I can't do it-But I want him to!" Wouldn't you want your own son to carry on the family business with your old associates? Just my opinion....Please don't take it to harshly.

I voted no...(Please don't slap me!!!) I voted no because it just doesn't feel right for them to record without Bonzo. I want them to tour with all my heart! But new record, new songs? Feels like they're cheating on Bonzo. Sorry, that's just the way I feel. :(

Totally agree... There is nothing more to say. That Led Zeppelin magic would fly away without Bonzo, with new songs.

No, no, a thousand times no!

Just look what happened to Pink Floyd... they shouda gone out with The Final Cut in '83. Instead Gilmour trundled around the world with a (superficially at least) "new" version of the band and churned out the two (four if you count the live cash-ins) worst LPs of the group's illustrious career. Roger Waters was right when he stated in 1985 that the Floyd was "creatively finished". Gilmour, Mason and Wright did lasting damage to the Floyd's legacy.I can't see JP, JPJ and RP wanting to do the same...

Led Zep WERE (and probably always will be) the best band ever. I think it should be left at that. The band we all cherish died in 1980. Besides, great as Jason is, they can never really be Led Zep again, can they?

no matter how good it is, to release an album under the name "Led Zeppelin" would be a laugh, no matter what the members said it would be about money, there is no other good reason to release an album under that name. if they were to release it under a new name, it wouldn't matter, it would still be billed as a Led Zeppelin album by the press and by the fans. not to mention the album wouldn't have the same sound qualities as one recorded in the 70's, nor would it be the standard 40 or so minute length, it would probably be much longer. too much has changed in 27 years for it to be anything other than a band unable to come to terms with its own demise. I would have lost respect for them if they did it in the 80's, but I'd lose much more now. move on. please just move on and keep Zep's legacy intact, don't fuck it up like almost every other band ends up doing.

Yes.

The old material is astonishing, but new material would be awesome.

And judging bye the way the O2 Arena concert went, they are more than up to the task (including Jason).

we musn't forget that true artists never die... if Jimmy makes new music why wouldnt it be something beautifull and pure as always.. why wouldnt it be a success... dont u guys think so...

I agree, and ading to my reply earlier, if they have active music careers, adn the reunion went well, that should be a strong reason for them to make a new album together once more.

i think it would be possible for them to do something new yet that is still a continuation of what they were doing with LZ (although i don't mean they should revert to exactly the same point they were at when they disbanded)

That would be awesome, but obviously they have other things going on, so i think a new album is quite a bit less likely than e.g. a short arena tour (say, several dates in the uk then a few dotted around the world)

Of course, what most of us would love for them to do is to go on a massive, full-blown world tour, AND release at least one new album together. But that would take a miracle methinks...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

well yeah of course for real!!!!! Well the guys do well by themselves but it is the 4 together that made it happen but we lost one if jason can put in some ideas and they work well together in the studio it could work another graffitti

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't think he would mind with his son on the drums.Its like taking the steps of his father.And i would not slap you.

• 4 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It would be interesting - different - but interesting. It depends if they gel togrther like they used to do.I'm not sure they would it may turn out like "The Rutles"

Strange that you feel a tour by a reunited Page, Plant and Jones would change the Earth but an album by them (including Jason Bonham) might turn out like the Rutles.

Archived