Glühwein

Atlas

I take the fact that my mother used the term "Glug" as a good indication that Glühwein is a Sudetendeutsche tradition. IOW, I assume that it was handed down to me directly from my Sudeten German ancestors.

The wine specialty store across the street from my new residence sells Christkindles Glühwein. There aught to be a law against that. I can't stop drinking it. That's probably why my mother cut me off when I was a little kid.

1061058.40d557b1.560.jpg

In Sweden we call it Glögg and the taste is a bit different compared to the Austrian/German glühwein. Glühwein is basically just warm wine while glögg has more ingredients added to the mix which makes it sweeter and reduces the taste of alcohol.

We call it mulled wine..................and I don't like it.

The idea of anything alcoholic served hot is not to my taste.

Hi Mangani,

Fron Delia Online,

Ingrediente.

2 x 75 cl bottles medium to full-bodied red wine (Bulgarian Cabernet Sauvignon is ideal)

1 Orange stuck with cloves.

2 Oranges sliced.

2 Lemons sliced.

6 level spoonfuls of granular sugar or honey.

2in piece of cinnamon.

2 level teaspoons finely grated fresh root ginger or ground ginger

2 tablespoons fruit liqueur such as Cointreau, Grand Marnier or cherry brandy (optional)

"Put all the ingredients in a saucepan with 2½ pints (1.5 litres) water then heat to simmering point, stirring until all the sugar has dissolved. Keep it barely at simmering point for at least 20 minutes – but do not boil or all the alcohol will evaporate.This can be made in advance, then re-heated just before the party. Serve it warm in half-pint mugs (in which case there will be 12 servings) or else in 24 sturdy wine glasses.r116"

Enjoy, or not, whatever.:beer:

Regards, Danny

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/vegetarian-food/mulled-wine.html

Hi Mangani,

Fron Delia Online,

Ingrediente.

2 x 75 cl bottles medium to full-bodied red wine (Bulgarian Cabernet Sauvignon is ideal)

2 Oranges sliced.

2 Lemons sliced.

2in piece of cinnamon.

2 tablespoons fruit liqueur such as Cointreau, Grand Marnier or cherry brandy (optional)

"Put all the ingredients in a saucepan with 2½ pints (1.5 litres) water then heat to simmering point, stirring until all the sugar has dissolved. Keep it barely at simmering point for at least 20 minutes – but do not boil or all the alcohol will evaporate.This can be made in advance, then re-heated just before the party. Serve it warm in half-pint mugs (in which case there will be 12 servings) or else in 24 sturdy wine glasses.r116"

Regards, Danny

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/vegetarian-food/mulled-wine.html

Sound's quite good on a cold Christmas morning, but go ahead and boil mine off as I don't like to put alcohol in me body any more. :)

In Sweden we call it Glögg and the taste is a bit different compared to the Austrian/German glühwein. Glühwein is basically just warm wine while glögg has more ingredients added to the mix which makes it sweeter and reduces the taste of alcohol.

What I posted a picture of is exactly what I'm drinking, and it says: "Carefully selected red wine is used in this age old recipe. Sweetened and spiced with Cloves, cinnamon, orance and lemon peel. It is not simply hot wine. My mother used to make it herself, but I don't recall the details. I just drank it.

Hi Mangani,

Fron Delia Online,

Ingrediente.

2 Oranges sliced.

2 Lemons sliced.

2in piece of cinnamon.

Regards, Danny

Hi ya Big Dan. I don't think I would enjoy that.

My girlfriend had some Gluhwine at a German Christmas market in Southampton yesterday. I tried a sip to remind myself how much I don't like it............and I haven't changed.

I had a cold beer instead LOL.

Archived