Bier

Atlas

I love Duvel's Gulden Draak. If you're used to normal beer, especially something like the more bitter IPA, this would probably taste pretty weird to you because it's actually almost kind of sweet.

What is "normal" about an IPA?

I find most "normal" beer drinkers can't stand IPA's. They're not bland enough.

Went to Brasserie Beck tonight... had a wonderful lamb sandwich with goat cheese and roasted red peppers. Accompanied by Gouden Carolus Tripel (ordered the Hopsinjoor, but they were out...). Fabulous beer...wonderful food. Can't wait to go back and try, well, everything else on the menu!

What is "normal" about an IPA?

I find most "normal" beer drinkers can't stand IPA's. They're not bland enough.

I mean IPA is "normal" in that, like most beers, it has a certain degree of bitterness (and is at the bitterer end of the scale, obviously). Therefore, Gulden Draak is "not normal" because it is not bitter at all in the least, and is more like drinking dessert. Most beers do not taste like you're drinking dessert, so in this particular case, IPA has more in common with most beers than this stuff does. (Sorry I didn't see this before, by the way.)

I mean IPA is "normal" in that, like most beers, it has a certain degree of bitterness (and is at the bitterer end of the scale, obviously). Therefore, Gulden Draak is "not normal" because it is not bitter at all in the least, and is more like drinking dessert. Most beers do not taste like you're drinking dessert, so in this particular case, IPA has more in common with most beers than this stuff does. (Sorry I didn't see this before, by the way.)

I'm guessing that your "Gulden Draak" is more on the malty side. Whereas you've noted, an IPA is on the bitter side.

I find the IPA's I like to be more bitter than an 'average' IPA. HEAVILY hopped!

I don't agree with you when you liken it to "most beers". Most beers to me, especially the big Anheiseur's, Miller's and Coor's are VERY bland. Your referenced one is probably as far away from 'normal' as my IPA's. I'd imagine on the opposite end though. Malty vs. Hoppy...."desert" vs. appetizer. I consider my beers as an appetizer, liking them before my meal.

BTW, I don't like malty beers, "dark" beers--stout's or porter's.

Seriously too, when I let friends sample my IPA's who normally drink an "average" beer they turn their nose up. It's too peculiar for their taste. Funny too, their music taste's and in general, are very bland. That's what fuels the mainstream though, no edge.

I'm guessing that your "Gulden Draak" is more on the malty side. Whereas you've noted, an IPA is on the bitter side.

I find the IPA's I like to be more bitter than an 'average' IPA. HEAVILY hopped!

I don't agree with you when you liken it to "most beers". Most beers to me, especially the big Anheiseur's, Miller's and Coor's are VERY bland. Your referenced one is probably as far away from 'normal' as my IPA's. I'd imagine on the opposite end though. Malty vs. Hoppy...."desert" vs. appetizer. I consider my beers as an appetizer, liking them before my meal.

BTW, I don't like malty beers, "dark" beers--stout's or porter's.

Seriously too, when I let friends sample my IPA's who normally drink an "average" beer they turn their nose up. It's too peculiar for their taste. Funny too, their music taste's and in general, are very bland. That's what fuels the mainstream though, no edge.

Yeah, I think we agree IPA's definitely have nothing in common with beers like Bud and Miller...that stuff doesn't taste like anything! It's just that whereas you exact beer in general to have a certain amount of bitterness, whether it's a little or a lot, Gulden Draak has none. I just never expected beer to be sweet, that's all. For instance, I like Ayinger's doppelbock, which is majorly malty, but it's more "bready" tasting than sweet. It's like a piece of whole grain bread vs. a cinnamon roll. Ok, maybe GD's not that sweet, but ya know, it's way past malty.

I can't say I'm a huge fan of IPA. I like the crisp flavors, but it's just a little too bitter for me. I do prefer the malty side of the spectrum on the whole... I'm definitely no fan of the big American "beers" (aka water), though. The only time I'd drink Bud is if it was a choice between it and Pabst...hehe, at least your friends have sense enough to drink "average" beers as opposed to the horror that is PBR. My friends are hipster wannabes and started drinking that stuff to be ironic or some weird thing. I didn't get the joke at first and wondered why they liked it so much, so I had a sip once. Good lord, it was all I could do to swallow it. Never again!

Oh, thought of another one I like... Köstritzer Schwarzbier (black lager)! You definitely get the chocolate/coffee notes in there, and surprisingly, it's not too heavy. Good stuff!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sam Adams does have several tasty brews. The hubby liked the Triple Bock once in a while but it was too strong for me. I read that they no longer make that brew.

We go to a pub once in a while that has 141 beers on tap so I can get adventurous in my beer tasting. They let me take a little taste test before ordering a mug. Nothing worse than buying a pitcher or six pack and discover I don't like it. But then I usually find someone who would be more than happy to finish it off for me.

yep, Sam Adams is about the best American brew.

anyone remember Iron City?

Summertime is here. Perfect weather for an icy cold one. :beer:

Been drinking BL Golden Wheat lately.

For a light beer it's not to bad. Brewed with coriander and citrus peel.

I have come to realize that some German bier is best served cool, not ice-cold. If it's too cold some of the character is suppressed. I was always told that when living in Germany, but I never put it to the test because I never drank the bier ice-cold.

I have come to realize that some German bier is best served cool, not ice-cold. If it's too cold some of the character is suppressed. I was always told that when living in Germany, but I never put it to the test because I never drank the bier ice-cold.

I can see where some of the bier brewed with richer flavors might be best served cool. But I am a wus on those stout beers and after a hot summer day working in the yard a icy cold lager is hits the spot for me.

I can see where some of the bier brewed with richer flavors might be best served cool. But I am a wus on those stout beers and after a hot summer day working in the yard a icy cold lager is hits the spot for me.

I'm not talking about stout beer. I'm talking about hefeweizen. Not something you drink to loose weight, but it's not syrupy like Guinnese.

I'm not talking about stout beer. I'm talking about hefeweizen. Not something you drink to loose weight, but it's not syrupy like Guinnese.

OK. I've had Widmer Hefewizen before. Bought for company because I knew they liked it. I liked it too, but probably wouldn't drink it as an everyday bier.

The CBS sportsline World Cup site has an interesting battle of the beers from the 32 countries involved. Surprising to me that the american beer picked was Yuengling. The English beer was Bottingtons pub ale I believe. Oops, my mistake, ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=igoe/100610_world_cup_beer_bracket

Edited by silvermedalist

I was happy to see this in the store today. Limited realease by the Kona Brewing Co in spring and summer. A wheat ale brewed with passion fruit. Yummy! Can I say that about beer. The fruit lends a slightly sweet taste to the ale that I like.

wailuawheat.jpg

I was happy to see this in the store today. Limited realease by the Kona Brewing Co in spring and summer. A wheat ale brewed with passion fruit. Yummy! Can I say that about beer. The fruit lends a slightly sweet taste to the ale that I like.

wailuawheat.jpg

Hey, that looks very tempting. And by the way, nice personal photo!

Tried some of the Goose Island brews this weekend- Honekers Ale, 312 Wheat, and the Matilda. Good stuff!

I went into a local Wegmans store today and they were giving out free samples of that one and Shock Ale. Ok, but I prefer the Boddingtons English ale I just tried. I thought it was a bit rough around the edges so to speak. I would certainly take Blue Moon over it any day, but I have never been a big fan of Anhauser.

Crack! Gulp! Boddingtons! Nice nice nice!!!! ck.gif

Boddingtons is the so so ale we like to export. I don't really care for it. We keep the best ales for ourselves. If you ever visit an English pub (a proper English pub that is, not a touristy one or some inner city dive) then you'll have far better ales to choose from than Boddingtons. The old pubs out in the countryside usually have some great local brews.

Boddingtons is the so so ale we like to export. I don't really care for it. We keep the best ales for ourselves. If you ever visit an English pub (a proper English pub that is, not a touristy one or some inner city dive) then you'll have far better ales to choose from than Boddingtons. The old pubs out in the countryside usually have some great local brews.

Well I would love to try some. I know they import more than this one but I have only tried Boddington's and Bass from England. Like both. I also love Guiness but I hate beers like Labatts and Budweiser. I have to try this Yuengling, Im sure its piss water, but Ill try it. I dont know why it was chosen as America's world cup beer? In case you missed my other post earlier in this thread, they have chosen a beer from each of the 32 countries. A battle of the beers if you will.

Well I would love to try some. I know they import more than this one but I have only tried Boddington's and Bass from England. Like both.

I was probably a bit harsh. I mean I have drunk it but I just meant that it's not the best. Bass is alrright.

John Smiths and Tetleys are also similar. Big brand brews that (I think)are exported. I like John Smith's Extra Smooth and Tetleys Smoothflow. But again they aren't as nice as the brews you will get in the pubs here.

I also love Guiness but I hate beers like Labatts and Budweiser.

I like Guiness too and I've found Labatts and Budweiser to be alright. I guess I will just drink anything. :)

I have to try this Yuengling, Im sure its piss water, but Ill try it. I dont know why it was chosen as America's world cup beer? In case you missed my other post earlier in this thread, they have chosen a beer from each of the 32 countries. A battle of the beers if you will.

Yuenling sounds Chinese LOL. I could only find the Group A beers on that site. :(

Edited by Mangani