Bier

Atlas

It's what I got for the folks at the DC911Truth 4th of July picnic. Fortunately, the women preferred the Chardonnay (No Poindexter, it's not beer, and doesn't come in cans).

Did it come in a box?

I`m sure it had to as not to blow the budget on papmlets, tinfoil hats and cookies.

Do youse guys take donations or is all this tax deductable?

Wait, thats another conspiracy and you don`t file.

Does the CIA also have a bug in your head?

black-box-page-wine-hero-chardonnay.jpg

The list is based on thousands of ratings from beer geeks around the world, so I'd hardly call it nonsense. Beeradvocate, another beer reviewing website, has a top 100 list that is also dominated by American beer (but two German beers barely cracked the top 50).

I've had the highest rated German beer on ratebeer (Celebrator Doppelbock). It was way too sweet for my tastes. I've also had the highest rated German beer on Beeradvocate (Weinstephaner Hefeweissbier). It was the best wheat beer I've ever had, but I still prefer a good, hoppy American IPA or stout.

As far as Britain, they created some of the best styles of beer (Imperial Stout, Double IPA, etc.), but American microbreweries perfected them.

The microbrew scene here is incredible. What's the best American beer you've ever had?

I agree with you here, especially about the American craft brewing community. My favorite breweries are Dogfish Head and Lagunitas, but there are so many I love I'd never remember them to list them here.

I also second the Sam Adams Imperial Pils suggestion for a great summer brew!

We have another winner. This is good stuff.

samuel%20adams%20double%20bock.jpg

Now let me scrape myself off the floor. It's also strong!

I need to try that one. The best Sam Adams I've had was their Imperial Pilsner, but that one looks interesting too. Then again, I've had Celebrator, Optimator, and a few other great authentic German doppel bocks, so who knows how it would compare.

Edited by MMAharaja

I've mostly found Belgian Ales too sweet. Like Fat Tire.

fat_tire_IMG_1189-tm.jpg

I don't care for it, but would love to try New Belgium's IPA that I pictured above. That should be bitter'er and hoppy !!

Ever tried Chimay, Rochefort, Westvleteren, Westmalle, or other Trappist beers? They're still pretty sweet (typically), but they are balanced by spices. I usually prefer bitter beers, but if I had a choice between a great IPA and a great Trappist, I'd go with the Trappist.

While Fat Tire is an American interpretation of a typical Belgian beer, the Trappist beers are the absolute best Belgium has to offer. We're talking about monks who have devoted over a century to perfecting the art of brewing.

Edited by MMAharaja

Ever tried Chimay, Rochefort, Westvleteren, Westmalle, or other Trappist beers? They're still pretty sweet (typically), but they are balanced by spices. I usually prefer bitter beers, but if I had a choice between a great IPA and a great Trappist, I'd go with the Trappist.

While Fat Tire is an American interpretation of a typical Belgian beer, the Trappist beers are the absolute best Belgium has to offer. We're talking about monks who have devoted over a century to perfecting the art of brewing.

Yep have to agree. Line up and get the Trappist brew . Love Belgian beer but must confess that I've found a real appreciation for Vancouver's own Granville Island IPA. Freakin" brilliant thumbsup.gif

Edited by ally

I would try ANY beer, not sure how I'd like a Trappist though. I don't care for 'spices'. I like a hoppy beer with JUST water, yeast, hops and malt. NO Adjuncts. Can't stand 'em at all sweet either.

You wanna drink monkEY beer go on ahead ! :lol:

I've truly found my faves in American microbrewed IPA's. They're all different from region to region, brewer to brewer and love to sample locally when I travel.

Heavy Seas Big DIPA...a double IPA from the brewery that used to be Clipper City in Baltimore (they're still here, just changed their name). At 10.5%, it's a heavy beer, not too bitter, really tasty!

Since I only have to navigate from the couch to the bed, I'm considering having another :D

Heavy Seas Big DIPA...a double IPA from the brewery that used to be Clipper City in Baltimore (they're still here, just changed their name). At 10.5%, it's a heavy beer, not too bitter, really tasty!

Since I only have to navigate from the couch to the bed, I'm considering having another biggrin.gif

Whew!! That 10.5% is a heavy brew! Really that's about a Barley Wine.

IPA's by definition are stronger than the average beer. At least 6.0% ABV and usually up to about 8.0%, whereas the average brew is only about 4.5%-5.0%. What cracks me up is when states that have peculiar alcohol laws brew their 3.2% beer and some even call them IPA's. :lol: They're clueless.

On the note of double IPA's, here's a nice one I've had that wasn't too incredibly heavy.

lwqjk.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hmmm...as far as beer is concerned, my tastes are pretty simple : :D

141003.jpg

careers_pro_img1_kingfisher.jpg

I noticed you are from Auckland too. :D

Are you a fan of the glorious Double Brown?

P.S if there's more folks on here from Auckland we should have a led zeppelin forum meet. We can have some beers and listen to some bootlegs. :D

Edited by tom kid

I noticed you are from Auckland too. :D

Are you a fan of the glorious Double Brown?

P.S if there's more folks on here from Auckland we should have a led zeppelin forum meet. We can have some beers and listen to some bootlegs. :D

Yep! Cool huh? B) Howdy neighbour! :D Always awesome to know another Zep Head from the same city! And yes I have tried the Double Brown...it was a bit too bitter to be honest but I think it will grow on me eventually if I down a few more often! And yes a forum meet would be a blast man! A night full of Zep and beer! Just pure heaven!! B)

Yep! Cool huh? B) Howdy neighbour! :D Always awesome to know another Zep Head from the same city! And yes I have tried the Double Brown...it was a bit too bitter to be honest but I think it will grow on me eventually if I down a few more often! And yes a forum meet would be a blast man! A night full of Zep and beer! Just pure heaven!! B)

Haha. It is some of the cheapest stuff money can buy in terms of beer, which is why I like it. :D

Whereabouts in Auckland are you?

Haha. It is some of the cheapest stuff money can buy in terms of beer, which is why I like it. :D

Whereabouts in Auckland are you?

I live in the CBD (on Cook Street), pretty close to the City Campus of the Uni. The only thing good about where I live is the fact that there is this really cool store selling music instruments which is just a stone throw away from my apartment. I really want to go there once and take a look at a couple of guitars and hopefully get the chance to actually hold a Fender and a Gibson Les Paul (for obvious reasons). Also, hopefully, I'll even get a chance to check out a couple of organs like the Vox Continental or the Farfisa. But on the down side, I probably may drop the guitars down or knock the organs over or something because I am kind of clumsy and so not musically inclined! LOL! :lol: Gosh! I wish I was living in suburbs like Epsom! LOL! :lol: Hopefully, I'll be able to move there eventually! Where are you in Auckland?

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

I live in the CBD (on Cook Street), pretty close to the City Campus of the Uni. The only thing good about where I live is the fact that there is this really cool store selling music instruments which is just a stone throw away from my apartment. I really want to go there once and take a look at a couple of guitars and hopefully get the chance to actually hold a Fender and a Gibson Les Paul (for obvious reasons). Also, hopefully, I'll even get a chance to check out a couple of organs like the Vox Continental or the Farfisa. But on the down side, I probably may drop the guitars down or knock the organs over or something because I am kind of clumsy and so not musically inclined! LOL! :lol: Gosh! I wish I was living in suburbs like Epsom! LOL! :lol: Hopefully, I'll be able to move there eventually! Where are you in Auckland?

You're right down the road from me! I'm just up in Grafton. Pretty handy place to live but we are right next to the med school and they are in the middle of redeveloping it so it is so god damned loud all day every day, doing my head in.

We've derailed this thread, should take it to pm haha.

• 2 weeks later...