Bier

Atlas

Lot of decent local craft beers around our area Strider, have you been to Golden Road Brewery?

golden-road-brewing-halloween.jpg

Never actually visited the brewery but I pass by it often on my way to Burbank or Griffith Park. I have tried several of its brews and they are yummy. One of the bbq joints I go to has their IPA and Hefeweizen on their beer list.

I'll have to schedule a visit to the brewery one of these weekends...maybe take my nephew and brother along.

Edited by Strider

I picked up a mix and match at Wegmans where you can make your own six pack with pretty much a hundred or more varieties . I tried the Guiness Blonde, and am presently drinking my first. My first disappointment is "brewed in USA". WTF? Its supposed to be from Ireland. It is not even close to being as good as regular Guiness Stout. Back to Summer Shandy

Drinking my first Blue Moon Summer Honey Wheat. I like it better than Sam Adams Summer ale even though that one is good too. LeinenKugel's I love as I have ordered a half barrel for the wedding coming up. I still have not have an IPA as I was scared away by someone that told me its tastes like Sierra Nevada which is way too bitter for me. I like Becks from Germany even though its bitter but its different. The Guinness Blonde is a disappointment. I love Guinness Stout in the winter.

^ I have to caution you, Cornelius - on the Leinenkugels. I've never seen anyone order one of these, and not send it back, saying there's something wrong with it. You seem to like assorted flavorings thrown into your beer, maybe to hide the poor quality - but most people enjoy better quality, without lemons and spices. Can I recommend Stella Artois, for a party? It's a fairly light Belguim beer, good for hot weather, that I've noticed everyone seems to enjoy.

Becks is no longer brewed in Germany. It is another brand taken over by InBev, and the change in taste is very noticeable. The Stella that I recommended is also now InBev, but still tastes good.

Yes, IPA's are generally very bitter. I don't get how popular they have become. I don't drink any of them, as I much prefer malty, dark beers.

Hope this helps!

^ I have to caution you, Cornelius - on the Leinenkugels. I've never seen anyone order one of these, and not send it back, saying there's something wrong with it. You seem to like assorted flavorings thrown into your beer, maybe to hide the poor quality - but most people enjoy better quality, without lemons and spices. Can I recommend Stella Artois, for a party? It's a fairly light Belguim beer, good for hot weather, that I've noticed everyone seems to enjoy.

Becks is no longer brewed in Germany. It is another brand taken over by InBev, and the change in taste is very noticeable. The Stella that I recommended is also now InBev, but still tastes good.

Yes, IPA's are generally very bitter. I don't get how popular they have become. I don't drink any of them, as I much prefer malty, dark beers.

Hope this helps!

Yep. 100% in agreement. I stopped drinking Becks long ago, even before they were bought out by InBev. When I was a young American kid who didn't know any better, I would drink Heineken and Becks. But after I went to Germany (and Europe at large) and discovered what real beer tasted like, I dumped Becks and Heineken from my beer list and never looked back.

On occasion, because of certain sports and concert venues limited beer options, I still have a Heineken every now and then...or a Stella Artois. But Becks will never darken my palate again.

It must be an American sickness...this urge to sweeten everything with fruity flavours. Or more likely, with corn syrup and some chemical combinations to make you think you're tasting strawberries or apples.

First it was the noxious flavoured vodka craze. It got so bad, that I would immediately lose interest in a date if she ordered an apple-tini.

Now, the flavoured beer thing is out of control. Mike's Hard Lemonade, Bud Lite Lemon, Blue Moon Honey Orange, etc. Whatever happened to that Zima shite?

The latest atrocity is Redd's Ales...brewed by the troglodytes at Miller/Coors conglomerate. There is a Green Apple one, and a Strawberry one...and I'm sure they're working on a Banana one. Is it an Ale or a Cider? I don't know and neither do they, I think.

Actually, it's probably closer to Kool-Aid. Only you get a nasty hangover drinking this Kool-Aid.

Edited by Strider

^ I wouldn't care about what others are satisfied with, if my choices weren't compromised. But the little we can afford to go out for a dinner, the beer choices at many restaurants suck. Our village of Lindenhurst used to have at least three good German places, now we have one - Village Lantern, supposedly co-owned by Richie Blackmore. Thank god for that, at least. And I do often buy beer at the supermarket (to sneak it onto the charge card, rather than take money out of the bank) - but the degree that I have to lower my standards is highly irritating. The drug store has a better selection, actually.

Martin house brewery out of Fort Worth Texas. I had a can of this bock the other day....not as good as Shinner, but still had a very nice taste... -7 out of 10....Shinner Bock being my 10.

Shinner Bock? Shiner Bock I have heard of...never heard of this Shinner fellow.

Took some clients to lunch at the Whiskey Cake Kitchen Bar, not sure if its a chain or a stand alone place, but they had some nice choices on the menu . Much to my delight, they had Brooklyn Brown on tap...its been a while, I love that beer!

I've attached the selection they have.....

post-841-0-50932600-1441065662_thumb.png

Edited by zepscoda

^ Canadian beers don't seem to be stocked much around here, anymore. Maybe because the big conglomerates haven't bought many of them out, they don't get the benefits of mass distribution? I believe Labatt's fell into the hands of InBev, though. I used to prefer Moosehead, but haven't had one in decades.

Took some clients to lunch at the Whiskey Cake Kitchen Bar, not sure if its a chain or a stand alone place, but they had some nice choices on the menu . Much to my delight, they had Brooklyn Brown on tap...its been a while, I love that beer!

I've attached the selection they have.....

That's a good looking beer list! I could spend a few evenings there.

Pretty good read:

http://www.trueactivist.com/8-beers-that-you-should-stop-drinking-immediately/

GMO Free Beers:

Organic Beers (Unpasteurized & Unfiltered) 

• Wolaver’s – all beers
  • Lamar Street – Whole Foods label (brewed by Goose Island)
  • Bison – all beers
  • Dogfish Head (organic when ingredients available)
  • Fish Brewery Company – Fish Tale Ales
  • Lakefront Brewery – Organic ESB
  • Brooklyn – (organic when ingredients are available)
  • Pinkus – all beers
  • Samuel Smiths – Samuel Smiths Organic Ale
  • Wychwood – Scarecrow Ale

Read More: http://www.trueactivist.com/8-beers-that-you-should-stop-drinking-immediately/

^ I've actually seen this in the supermarket, and was thinking of trying it. I do like Pilsners, which are somewhat rare these days, and the darker look makes it all the more tempting. Only thing is - is it spiced up?

It's brewed with some rye malt, which adds a "mild spiciness" (from the website).  I think it makes it really interesting.  I bought it at my local supermarket. too, in a mixed 6 pack, so I just got the one bottle.  I would not hesitate to buy an entire 6 of this.