Bier

Atlas

It was, ebk! Hope you can find it. But now for some brews that didn't make the grade:

First up, I tried a local blueberry mead. Mead has a weird taste no matter the flavour. Luckily I bought only one (the blueberries lured me - favourite fruit) and at 8.5%, one is about all you'll need.

Next, Wychwood gives, and Wychwood takes away - tried the Black Wych "A dark mysterious spellbinding porter." Cough syrup, more like. Just binding, no spell. Uuuugh...

Finally, I don't get Robert Plant's penchant for cider. I've yet to try one I like. Had a Brothers Apple Cider and it tasted like very cheap champagne.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this beer a while ago, but not knowing anything about it, didn't want to commit to an entire 6-pack. But my favorite local store sells singles, so I bought one. Because how can I pass up a beer called Coal Porter?? :)

ATLCoal.jpg

And...it's good! I will be buying that 6-pack on the next trip!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Today's find at the local Whole paycheck (Foods): Dogfish Head's American Beauty, an Imperial Pale Ale http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/occasional-rarities/american-beauty/index.htm

americanbeauty2.jpg

Chef sez:

It's a big bottle, I usually feel ripped off by 22 oz. bottles, I want that last 2 oz. This is a 750ml (25.4 oz.) bottle!

They call it an "imperial pale ale" and it's sweet and thick for a pale ale, definitely a double. There is a distinctly toasted taste to it, I suppose that's the granola they used to brew it. That's the second most suggested ingredient from their online suggestion box for a Grateful Dead beer. I guess the number one suggestion is still a federal crime!

This stuff is bitter, when it was cold it was so bitter as to taste metallic. As it warmed it just went down easier and easier, maybe too easy for a 9% beer! Just one really did the job.

Whoa! Today is National Beer Day here in the good ol' US of A!

From Wikipedia: National Beer Day is a celebration of the Cullen–Harrison Act being signed into law by President Franklin D. Roosevelt on March 22, 1933. That law went into effect on April 7 of that year, allowing people to buy, sell and drink beer again as long as it was < 3.2% alcohol-by-weight (4.05% alcohol-by-volume). People across the country responded by gathering outside breweries, some beginning the night before. On that first day, 1.5 million barrels of beer were consumed, inspiring the future holiday. Today, April 7 is recognized as National Beer Day and April 6 is known as New Beer's Eve.

Whoa! Today is National Beer Day here in the good ol' US of A!

From Wikipedia: National Beer Day is a celebration of the Cullen–Harrison Act being signed into law by President Franklin D. Roosevelt on March 22, 1933. That law went into effect on April 7 of that year, allowing people to buy, sell and drink beer again as long as it was < 3.2% alcohol-by-weight (4.05% alcohol-by-volume). People across the country responded by gathering outside breweries, some beginning the night before. On that first day, 1.5 million barrels of beer were consumed, inspiring the future holiday. Today, April 7 is recognized as National Beer Day and April 6 is known as New Beer's Eve.

Really...I think I posted the very same thing right above your American Beauty review. ;)

As for American Beauty, I bought a bottle last year. My husband is a Dead fan, and even though he doesn't drink, I figured he'd enjoy the bottle. I don't remember it being overly bitter, but I do like my hops, so maybe I didn't notice. Overall, I did like it, but not enough to go out and find another bottle. Too much other stuff out there to drink!

This chain called the "Beer Market" is in Rochester, NY here and Steve Burton is coming on April 18th. The guy that played Jason for years on General Hospital and is now Dylan on Young and the Restless. Tempted to take a ride over to my old neighborhood where it is. It will be mobbed no doubt. I got to meet Sonny back in the 90s at a local Mall here where I also saw Jim Kelly shopping with his wife one night back in the early 90s.

• 1 month later...

I've tried hundreds of biers in my life...not that I'm advocating that to the kids here...but I had never tried this one until now: Haywards 5000. Not quite an IPA...nor an amber or dark bier. Somewhere in between...kind of nutty, like a lighter version of a Newcastle Brown Ale. Comes in a 18 oz. bottle. It's going well with the Chicken Tikka Masala and Lamb Vindaloo, rice and garlic naan I'm having. Prost!

post-1470-0-87118800-1433057320_thumb.jp

I bought some Blue Moon which is North American craft beer (it is written on the bottle) it tastes fine but it is cloudy.Which is a bit off putting.

You've been bamboozled by good ol' crafty American advertising. Blue Moon is NOT an honest-to-goodness craft beer. It is owned and made by Miller Brewery. It isn't any more a craft beer as Miller Light.

This InBev conglomerate has bought up so many of the famous imports to the U.S., and now seems determined to get it's hands on any craft beer companies that sell. It recently acquired Blue Point Brewing on Long Island, and some people that used to enjoy their offerings are already saying they notice the changes in quality. I won't buy Becks, St Pauli Girl, Lowenbrau anymore - even though they are sometimes on very low sale prices. I haven't noticed much change in my favorite brand from Munich - Spaten, but fear for the inevitable...

You've been bamboozled by good ol' crafty American advertising. Blue Moon is NOT an honest-to-goodness craft beer. It is owned and made by Miller Brewery. It isn't any more a craft beer as Miller Light.

Good job it was only 79p a bottle then, nowhere near as nice as HobGoblin or HSD etc..

More than likely made in the EU under license. As much as I try I still am not a beer fan. I can do a Guinness occasionally but can't stand Lager especially out of a tinney

• 2 months later...

I did a search for beer in this forum and the first hit was the Strider B day thread! Not good. :poke::lol:

So, now I found it. Has anyone tried this Guiness Blonde? Is it new? Cannot wait to try it. Right now drinking Summer Shandy. Leinenkugel's. Notice all the other beer companies are coming out with a Shandy? I want to try Blue Moon's. Did not like Shock Top that much.

I did a search for beer in this forum and the first hit was the Strider B day thread! Not good. :poke::lol:

So, now I found it. Has anyone tried this Guiness Blonde? Is it new? Cannot wait to try it. Right now drinking Summer Shandy. Leinenkugel's. Notice all the other beer companies are coming out with a Shandy? I want to try Blue Moon's. Did not like Shock Top that much.

Guineness is in full scramble mode now to regain lost sales after they boycotted the St Paddy's day parade in NY.

Edited by LIVIN

I was somewhat suprised to learn this - but Shandy style beer is actually popular in some areas of Germany. They are referred to as "Biermischgettranke". For my friend Cornelius, I recommend the Whizz Peach, from Wilhelm Rummel Brewery.

Well, I do enjoy my beer quite often. If you didn't like Shock Top...and I am not surprised you didn't...don't bother trying Blue Moon. Like Shock Top, which is actually made by the Michelob/Anheiser-Busch/In Bev conglomerate (that's right, Budweiser is now owned by foreigners), Blue Moon is a macro masquerading as a microbrew. More drinkable than the usual Bud-Coors-Miller swill, true, but still rather bland and plain.

Thanks to my extended time in Europe and Germany in particular, hefeweizen is generally my go-to style of beer...especially in the summer. Tonight at the local tavern I tried a Craftsman Heavenly Hefe, brewed in Pasadena, California. Not as great as the best German or Austrian hefeweizens, but fully refreshing and tasty nonetheless.

post-1470-0-39719100-1438763249_thumb.jp

Well, I do enjoy my beer quite often. If you didn't like Shock Top...and I am not surprised you didn't...don't bother trying Blue Moon. Like Shock Top, which is actually made by the Michelob/Anheiser-Busch/In Bev conglomerate (that's right, Budweiser is now owned by foreigners), Blue Moon is a macro masquerading as a microbrew. More drinkable than the usual Bud-Coors-Miller swill, true, but still rather bland and plain.

Thanks to my extended time in Europe and Germany in particular, hefeweizen is generally my go-to style of beer...especially in the summer. Tonight at the local tavern I tried a Craftsman Heavenly Hefe, brewed in Pasadena, California. Not as great as the best German or Austrian hefeweizens, but fully refreshing and tasty nonetheless.

attachicon.gif20150804_175732-1.jpg

Lot of decent local craft beers around our area Strider, have you been to Golden Road Brewery?

golden-road-brewing-halloween.jpg