Track by Track day 6: Black Mountain Side

This time I just decided to copy/paste some stuff from wikipedia:

"Black Mountain Side" was inspired by a traditional Irish folk song called "Down by Blackwaterside"[1] which also appears on Bert Jansch's 1966 album Jack Orion as "Blackwaterside".[2] Jansch had learnt it from Anne Briggs, who also recorded a version, as did The Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem.

To enhance the Indian character of the song, drummer and sitarist Viram Jasani played tabla on the track.

As far as my opinion on the song I love it. It's beautiful and relaxing and I don't think it's ever annoyed me. What's frustrating is the end of Your Time is Gonna Come bleeds into the beginning of the song, and as I said in the last topic YTIGC is my least favorite song on the album.

Ann Briggs got the song from folk song collector, Albert Lloyd. Orginally the song was unaccompanied and the riff was from a friend , Stan Ellison. After she listened to LZ's Black Mountain Side she had wanted royalties given to Lloyd's widow.

Source:LZ,The Story of a Band and Their Music, Keith Shadwick

Again, true brilliance in this cut! "Your Time is Gon'a Come" fade's into this song to enhance one Blues song and give way to an instrumental of acoustic guitar's and/or other stringed acoustic instrument's.

"Black Mountain Side" is a jumping and lively little song with zippy chord frag's and riff-age. There are some conga's and/or some other type of odd percussion in there too. B)

This time I just decided to copy/paste some stuff from wikipedia:

As far as my opinion on the song I love it. It's beautiful and relaxing and I don't think it's ever annoyed me. What's frustrating is the end of Your Time is Gonna Come bleeds into the beginning of the song, and as I said in the last topic YTIGC is my least favorite song on the album.

The reverse for myself. I love "YTIGC" & I hate that it doesn't have a proper fadeout then going into a song I consider incidental. "Black Mountain Side" is ok as a gap between "YTIGC" & "Communication Breakdown" but I don't think much of it as an actual song. I much prefer the Yardbirds era recording of "White Summer" to "Black Mountain Side".

Again, true brilliance in this cut! "Your Time is Gon'a Come" fade's into this song to enhance one Blues song and give way to an instrumental of acoustic guitar's and/or other stringed acoustic instrument's.

"Black Mountain Side" is a jumping and lively little song with zippy chord frag's and riff-age. There are some conga's and/or some other type of odd percussion in there too. B)

I agree with you. This is a great instrumental/acoustic song. I can picture them in a room just having fun with this song. Just wished it would have been longer!!

BMS derives from a traditional song called Blackwaterside. Bert Lloyd pieced it together for Anne Briggs who started performing it in British folk clubs in the early 1960's. Bert Jansch later made his own accompaniment for the tune, and Jimmy's version of the riff is indirectly inspired by that, although he plays it in a different tuning, and as a short acoustic number. Jimmy was in fact already working on it before Jansch released his own version. The changes made are seemingly very slight, but they make a world of a difference: Jimmy is really taking the song out of the conventional framework and creating an entirely different frame of understanding for it, a bit like a world music kind of thing - and this is duly emphasized by the use of the tablas.

Once again, that guitar just sounds so great, and Jimmy's playing is wonderful. I have never thought of it as a filler, and the fact that Jimmy used to play it live (linking it with White Sumemr, a similar folksy thing he'd done with The Yardbirds in 1968) until April, 1970 would seem to underline that. In fact it was revived on the 1977 U.S. tour, as a sort of intro for Kashmir. Along with BIGLY, the inclusion of it on the first album, showed the importance of the British folk legacy for the kind of ideas Jimmy had in mind when he formed Led Zeppelin - it wasn't just heavy blues, but a threefold reworking of British folk, the blues and Rock & Roll - very similar to the Jethro Tull formula in fact, but from a somewhat different angle, and hence the entirely different styles of the two bands.

Raleigh, North Carolina, April 8th, 1970.

As the comic book guy would say. "Best. Version. Ever"

Bonzo helps out on this version, and it ventures into new terrain quite successfully.

Live, it could sometimes go on too long (IMHO)

My review of 'White Summer/Black Mt. Side' from Thee Image Club, Miami, FL.,2/14/69 (in my old notebook) is kinda funny: "Why Jimmy insists on bringing such raucous proceedings to a grinding halt like this, I'll never know" Haha!

It made a great intro to Kashmir in '77, though. Often the most dramatic moment moment in the show.

On video I like the 'Julie Felix Show' April 28th, 1970, Jimmy on accoustic. Short & sweet.

On Led Zeppelin I, I can't think of a more perfect way to go into 'Communication Breakdown'. Great segue

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived