The Great Zeppelin Quiz

Conneyfogle

The Great Zeppelin Quiz

Thanx to Francescaemc2 for this cool.gifgrin.gifcheesy.gifwink.gifsmiley.gifrolleyes.gif :- kiss.gif

1. Who wrote WLL?

2. What's Robert Plant's nick name?

3. What's Jimmy Page's nick name?

4. Where was Jimmy Page born?

5. In what year?

6. On what planet?

7. In what Michelangelo Antonioni film did Jimmy Page appear?

8. What song did he play?

9. With what band?

10. What instrument did JP first play with The Yardbirds?

11. What was the comment that inspired the band name?

12. Who made the comment? (lol)

13. What was LZ's first single? (trick question)

14. Whom did they cover in "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You?"

15. On what Donovan song does Page play some truly weird stuff?

16. Where did the Hindenburg catch fire?

17. Under what flag did it fly?

18. Why did it catch fire?

19. On what album is there a photo of the crash?

20. Which songs did Page play on his first television appearance?

21. What did Page want to do when he grew up?

22. Why did he say he didn't want to be a doctor?

23. What did Page wear at The Royal Albert Hall concert?

24. What is the name of the band's manager?

25. What did he do that was unprecedented for a band?

26. What did Page usually carry on board their plane?

27. Which of the band members hated touring most?

28. What was the nickname of The Hyatt House in Los Angeles?

29. What were band members (except for Page) accused of abusing a groupie with?

30. Did Robert Plant admit it?

31. Who almost always travelled to tours on his own?

32. What is the recurrent object in the Presence cover art?

33. Where was the cover of Physical Graffiti photographed?

34. What is still the most expensive album cover art to ever have been produced?

35. Why was it so expensive?

36. What Swiss Jazz festival did the band play?

37. What was their biggest hit single?

38. When did they first appear on the Ed Sullivan show?

39. When did they appear on Top of the Pops?

40. What LIVE album did they release while they were touring?

41. Did the band break up because of Yoko?

42. If not, why did they break up?

43. When do they sing about my favorite fabric?

44. Who first sang the lyric "Squeeze my lemon"?

45. They've been the rune of many a poor girl...What is the name of JP's 14-year-old girlfriend?

46. On which album is Page wearing a bomber jacket?

47. When did they replace Pete Best with Bonzo?

49. What automobile company used Rock 'n'Roll in a television ad?

50. What was the name of Page's favorite guitar that disappeared?

51. Where was the first ever concert played as Led Zeppelin?

52. How many times did they play at Madison Square Gardens?

53. What kind of amps does Page use?

54. What kind of amp heads.

55. Tube or solid state?

56. Other than Skiffle what was he playing at 14 with his teacher?

57. Fill in: name non-zep songs which they covered in their medleys.

58. On which songs did they have medleys?

59. By whom was "The Crunge" inspired?

60. What is Robert Plant's middle name?

62. What is John Paul Jones's real surname? Xtra points for Pirate English.

63. In their songs are sexual doub-- really single entendres. Name some.

64.Who is Roy Harper and why should we take our hats off to him? (I don'tknow the answer to this one-- some nob on a rock who interrupts pagewhen he talks).

65. We know Page rocks. Name 3 other distinct guitar styles he uses.

66. What's the difference between Bron-y-Aur Stomp and The Bristol Stomp?

67. What or where is Bron-y-Aur?

68. Who is frequently seen wearing a herringbone overcoat, hat and full beard?

69. Who frequently wore a bowler hat?

70. Who almost always had a mustache?

71. What is Page doing when waving hands around during WLL solo?

72.What other than a pick (plectrum) does JP use during the solo of Dazedand Confused. (It's a viola bow. Not a violin bow, btw as I'm sure youknow.Xtra point for viola. Any non nob nob knows violin bow, right?)

73. Bonzo's Gong-- not Bong-- was just sold at auction. How much did it fetch in USD...(68k)

74. What instruments are used in Stairway to Heaven?

75. Where does Robert Plant come from?

76.Which member was snubbed at a Rolls Royce store, then took out cash forthe car and threatened to tear the salesman a new one?

77. Which two drove to Morocco together?

78. Why? hahaaha.

79. What did Eric Clapton say when asked how it felt to be the best guitarist in the world?

80. Which of the members reads charts and conducts?

81. What was JP photographed chugging, literally bottoms up?

82. Name at least one song on which they used strings--not guitar/bass....

violins, celli, viole, contrabass... full string section.

83. What song did Plant and Elvis start singing together to break the ice when they met?

84. In what year and in what venue was Stairway to Heaven first played?

85. What instruments are used in Going to California?

86. What instruments does JPJones play...except for his famous organ?

87. Was it the White Album on which the LZ name does not appear, if not,on which one?

88. Who wrote Killing Floor (part of Lemon Song) hint: not Page/Plant.

89.How was Rock & Roll born: specifically: One of the band membersplayed an instrumental part of a great and well-known song. Then theothers came in improvising. Name the band member and the song and whooriginally sang it. (2 point question)

90. Who, reportedly came up with the riff for Black Dog?

91. Where was it recorded.

92. Why is it called Black Dog?

93. In what song do they make specific reference to Tolkien?

94. Give the proper name used in the reference.

95.How did Page describe Plant's voice upon hearing it? Hint: he says itstill is (after years of hearing it, not at 02 in 2007.

96. In what song are the lyrics" standing on the corner of Bleecker and nowhere?"

97. In what song are the lyrics: "mmmmm, I'm tellin' you now; greatest thing you ever can do now?"

98. In what song are the lyrics:"the river's red?"

99. In what song are the lyrics "baby it's crying time?"

100. What does Coda mean? in music? literally?

101. Why did they drop the a from lead?

102. What acoustic guitar does page use in Going to California?

103. In what song are the lyrics: "let your daddy see?"

104. In what song are the lyrics: "You need schoolin' baby I ain't foolin.

I'm gonna send you,yeah, back to school . Way way down inside..Woman you need it." Take your time on this one. It's tricky!!!

I'm gonna give you my quiz. I just gave you every inch of my quiz.

Wo-man....I said...Wo-man.... you need looooooooooooooove"

You took my led zeppelin quiz. you took my led zeppelin quiz.

Good evening! Thanks very much for coming out......

105. In what song are the lyrics "I don't know what I like about you but I like it a lot?"

Answers here

http://hrcandy.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=ledzeppelindiscussion&action=display&thread=327

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Question 84: Where was Stairway first played?

If I remember correctly, it was in Ireland, wasn't it?

I can't remember if it was Dublin or Belfast.

Please correct me if I am wrong. I am going by memory and am too tired to look it up tonight.

I am going from (faulty?) memory here, too, and saying it was in 1971? And I believe that they played it live at a concert in Ireland before the album IV came out at the end of 1971, so no one had heard it before when they first played it.

Edited to say: I believe that the audience was underwelmed by the song at that concert when they first heard it.

Great quiz. Don't forget the references to Tolkien in 'Battle of Evermore'. Have a look at my 'Led Of The Rings' post.wink.gif

And while you're at it, someone point out to the quiz guy that the Tolkien character's name is spelled Gollum, and that the Golem is a different concept entirely. ;)

And while you're at it, someone point out to the quiz guy that the Tolkien character's name is spelled Gollum, and that the Golem is a different concept entirely. ;)

I shall whip the quiz mistress into submission for her lack of LOTR knowledge :slapface:

• 4 months later...

New link for the answers

The Great Zeppelin Quiz Answers

I quickly read through all the answers to your Great Zeppelin Quiz.

I must say that two (2) of your answers are actually (and factually) incorrect.

Question #18: Why did it catch fire? (the Hindenburg). Your answer: "It was filled with Hydrogen, lightening caused a fire on the aluminum skin".

I have read (in books and not the internet) that the Hindenburg burst into flames over Lakehurst, New Jersey because of static electricity. The static electricity caused sparks that collided with the hydrogen thus causing the explosion, not lightening.

Question #51: Where was the first ever concert played as Led Zeppelin? Your answer: "Gonzaga College in Washington State".

I do know that this is actually very incorrect. Plus, this question is very ambiguous. "Led Zeppelin" made their debut as Led Zeppelin on Friday, October 10, 1968 at Surrey University in Surrey, England. Led Zeppelin made their London debut on November 9, 1968 at the Roundhouse (obviously in London). If you actually meant "Where was the first ever concert played as Led Zeppelin?" in the United States, well that answer would be on Thursday, December 26, 1968 at the Denver Auditorioum, Denver, Colorado. Led Zeppelin played Gonzaga University four (4) days later on Monday, December 30, 1968. As far as I know this is the first American gig by Led Zeppelin to be recorded and bootlegged.

Of course I do not claim to know everything about Led Zeppelin, however, I do believe I am correct about these two (2) questions and with my answers. If I do happen to be incorrect, I would really appreciate that someone please correct me.

I quickly read through all the answers to your Great Zeppelin Quiz.

I must say that two (2) of your answers are actually (and factually) incorrect.

Question #18: Why did it catch fire? (the Hindenburg). Your answer: "It was filled with Hydrogen, lightening caused a fire on the aluminum skin".

I have read (in books and not the internet) that the Hindenburg burst into flames over Lakehurst, New Jersey because of static electricity. The static electricity caused sparks that collided with the hydrogen thus causing the explosion, not lightening.

Question #51: Where was the first ever concert played as Led Zeppelin? Your answer: "Gonzaga College in Washington State".

I do know that this is actually very incorrect. Plus, this question is very ambiguous. "Led Zeppelin" made their debut as Led Zeppelin on Friday, October 10, 1968 at Surrey University in Surrey, England. Led Zeppelin made their London debut on November 9, 1968 at the Roundhouse (obviously in London). If you actually meant "Where was the first ever concert played as Led Zeppelin?" in the United States, well that answer would be on Thursday, December 26, 1968 at the Denver Auditorioum, Denver, Colorado. Led Zeppelin played Gonzaga University four (4) days later on Monday, December 30, 1968. As far as I know this is the first American gig by Led Zeppelin to be recorded and bootlegged.

Of course I do not claim to know everything about Led Zeppelin, however, I do believe I am correct about these two (2) questions and with my answers. If I do happen to be incorrect, I would really appreciate that someone please correct me.

I shall punish the afformentioned scribe of the quiz with some evil medievel torture instrument like the pear of anguish or something for her mistake, and yes you are correct with the Gonzaga gig, maybe she meant first recorded.

and the fire thing was probably CGI

Question 84: Where was Stairway first played?

If I remember correctly, it was in Ireland, wasn't it?

I can't remember if it was Dublin or Belfast.

Please correct me if I am wrong. I am going by memory and am too tired to look it up tonight.

I am going from (faulty?) memory here, too, and saying it was in 1971? And I believe that they played it live at a concert in Ireland before the album IV came out at the end of 1971, so no one had heard it before when they first played it.

Edited to say: I believe that the audience was underwelmed by the song at that concert when they first heard it.

I dont know when my self, but the early 1970's was right at the start of the "album years" of popular music. With that in mind it doesn't supprize me that it was not very well embraced at first. Hell, the short bit writing of the Beatles was still going very strong in 1971, and the FM radio craze was just getting started to, yeah, FM had been around for some time but not in the genaral sence. It would be a few more years (mid/late 1970"s) before the long version was the big thing, I do remember the cut version's of the long song's of that time frame, I was young but that was about the only thing I didn't like about AM radio.

I dont know when my self, but the early 1970's was right at the start of the "album years" of popular music. With that in mind it doesn't supprize me that it was not very well embraced at first. Hell, the short bit writing of the Beatles was still going very strong in 1971, and the FM radio craze was just getting started to, yeah, FM had been around for some time but not in the genaral sence. It would be a few more years (mid/late 1970"s) before the long version was the big thing, I do remember the cut version's of the long song's of that time frame, I was young but that was about the only thing I didn't like about AM radio.

• 10 months later...

1. Who wrote WLL? Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, JPJ, Bonzo & Willie Dixon

2. What's Robert Plant's nick name? Percy

3. What's Jimmy Page's nick name? Pagey & Led Wallet

4. Where was Jimmy Page born? Heston, Middlesex

5. In what year? 1944

6. On what planet? Earth silly, born under the sign of Capricorn, and a Cancer Moon

7. In what Michelangelo Antonioni film did Jimmy Page appear? Blow Up

8. What song did he play? Trian Kept a Rolling

9. With what band? Yardbirds

10. What instrument did JP first play with The Yardbirds? Bass

11. What was the comment that inspired the band name? that a band with jimmy, John E. and Keith Moon etc. would go over like a lead ballon (Led Zeppelin)

12. Who made the comment? (lol) Keith Moon

13. What was LZ's first single? (trick question) didn't have one

14. Whom did they cover in "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You?" Joan Baez

15. On what Donovan song does Page play some truly weird stuff? Sunshine Superman

16. Where did the Hindenburg catch fire? New Jersey or some other place in the northeast.

17. Under what flag did it fly? Nazi

18. Why did it catch fire? static electricity I think that built up and ignited the gas?

19. On what album is there a photo of the crash? Really?:slapface:Led Zeppelin

20. Which songs did Page play on his first television appearance? Mama don't want no skiffle

21. What did Page want to do when he grew up? Biological research

22. Why did he say he didn't want to be a doctor? :Thinking:

23. What did Page wear at The Royal Albert Hall concert? Levis, a sweater vest, white or light blue button down and white sneakers.

24. What is the name of the band's manager? Peter Grant

25. What did he do that was unprecedented for a band? They cut out the middle man got a higher % of the ticket sales.

26. What did Page usually carry on board their plane? Himself?

27. Which of the band members hated touring most? John Bonham

28. What was the nickname of The Hyatt House in Los Angeles? The Riot House

29. What were band members (except for Page) accused of abusing a groupie with? A Mudshark

30. Did Robert Plant admit it? He says he doesn't remember also read where he said he was with his wife.

31. Who almost always travelled to tours on his own? JPJ

32. What is the recurrent object in the Presence cover art? the Object

33. Where was the cover of Physical Graffiti photographed? New York City

34. What is still the most expensive album cover art to ever have been produced? Led III

35. Why was it so expensive? because of the inner rotating wheel of images

36. What Swiss Jazz festival did the band play? Don't know

37. What was their biggest hit single? Didn't have one :bait:

38. When did they first appear on the Ed Sullivan show? They didn't

39. When did they appear on Top of the Pops? they didn't , but Whole Lotta Love was there theme music

40. What LIVE album did they release while they were touring? they didn't

41. Did the band break up because of Yoko? NO

42. If not, why did they break up? Because John passed away

43. When do they sing about my favorite fabric? Kashmir

44. Who first sang the lyric "Squeeze my lemon"? Robert Johnson

45. They've been the rune of many a poor girl...What is the name of JP's 14-year-old girlfriend? Lori Maddox

46. On which album is Page wearing a bomber jacket? Led II

47. When did they replace Pete Best with Bonzo? Don't know

49. What automobile company used Rock 'n'Roll in a television ad? Cadallic

50. What was the name of Page's favorite guitar that disappeared? His Gibson Black Beauty

51. Where was the first ever concert played as Led Zeppelin? I should know this ARGH!

52. How many times did they play at Madison Square Gardens? 14

53. What kind of amps does Page use? Marshall's

54. What kind of amp heads. Marshalls?

55. Tube or solid state? Tube

56. Other than Skiffle what was he playing at 14 with his teacher? Latin

57. Fill in: name non-zep songs which they covered in their medleys. Boogie Chillun,Lets have a Party, Hello Mary Lou, The :hunter: Hunter

58. On which songs did they have medleys? Whole Lotta Love, Dazed & Confused, How Many More Times

59. By whom was "The Crunge" inspired? James Brown

60. What is Robert Plant's middle name? Anthony

62. What is John Paul Jones's real surname? Xtra points for Pirate English. ARRRRR Baldwin

63. In their songs are sexual doub-- really single entendres. Name some. "Every Inch of my love" , "Squeze my lemon"

64.Who is Roy Harper and why should we take our hats off to him? (I don'tknow the answer to this one-- some nob on a rock who interrupts pagewhen he talks). Actually a good friend he has performed & recorded with

65. We know Page rocks. Name 3 other distinct guitar styles he uses. Influed Arabic, Celtic

66. What's the difference between Bron-y-Aur Stomp and The Bristol Stomp? Two different places

67. What or where is Bron-y-Aur? Wales

68. Who is frequently seen wearing a herringbone overcoat, hat and full beard? Jimmy

69. Who frequently wore a bowler hat? Bonzo

70. Who almost always had a mustache? Bonzo

71. What is Page doing when waving hands around during WLL solo? Using the theramin

72.What other than a pick (plectrum) does JP use during the solo of Dazedand Confused. (It's a viola bow. Not a violin bow, btw as I'm sure youknow.Xtra point for viola. Any non nob nob knows violin bow, right?) A voilin bow

73. Bonzo's Gong-- not Bong-- was just sold at auction. How much did it fetch in USD LOTS

74. What instruments are used in Stairway to Heaven? A recorder, Gibson SG double neck

75. Where does Robert Plant come from? West Bromwhich

76.Which member was snubbed at a Rolls Royce store, then took out cash forthe car and threatened to tear the salesman a new one? Bonzo

77. Which two drove to Morocco together? Plant & Page

78. Why? hahaaha.:blush:

79. What did Eric Clapton say when asked how it felt to be the best guitarist in the world? I don't know or care

80. Which of the members reads charts and conducts? JPJ - Jimmy read astrological charts He he

81. What was JP photographed chugging, literally bottoms up? Jack Daniels classic Neal Preston photo

82. Name at least one song on which they used strings--not guitar/bass....violins, celli, viole, contrabass... full string section. The Rain Song

83. What song did Plant and Elvis start singing together to break the ice when they met? Love Me tender

84. In what year and in what venue was Stairway to Heaven first played? Not Sure

85. What instruments are used in Going to California? Madolin, Guitar

86. What instruments does JPJones play...except for his famous organ? Madolin, Bass, Recorder anything but drums

87. Was it the White Album on which the LZ name does not appear, if not,on which one? Untitled, Led IV, Runes, ZoSo

88. Who wrote Killing Floor (part of Lemon Song) hint: not Page/Plant. Robert Johnson

89.How was Rock & Roll born: specifically: One of the band membersplayed an instrumental part of a great and well-known song. Then theothers came in improvising. Name the band member and the song and whooriginally sang it. (2 point question) Don't Know

90. Who, reportedly came up with the riff for Black Dog? JPJ

91. Where was it recorded. Headly Grange

92. Why is it called Black Dog? Because an old black dog was hanging around the house, while they were writing & recording

93. In what song do they make specific reference to Tolkien? Ramble On

94. Give the proper name used in the reference. "Gollum the evil one" also reference to Mordor

95.How did Page describe Plant's voice upon hearing it? Hint: he says itstill is (after years of hearing it, not at 02 in 2007). a sonic boom?

96. In what song are the lyrics" standing on the corner of Bleecker and nowhere?" Royal Orleans

97. In what song are the lyrics: "mmmmm, I'm tellin' you now; greatest thing you ever can do now?" Friends

98. In what song are the lyrics:"the river's red?" Four sticks

99. In what song are the lyrics "baby it's crying time?" Four Sticks

100. What does Coda mean? in music? literally? The end of a piece of musical score

101. Why did they drop the a from lead? Because peter grant thought the would mispronounce Lead

102. What acoustic guitar does page use in Going to California? Martin

103. In what song are the lyrics: "let your daddy see?" ????

104. In what song are the lyrics: "You need schoolin' baby I ain't foolin.

I'm gonna send you,yeah, back to school . Way way down inside..Woman you need it." Take your time on this one. It's tricky!!!

I'm gonna give you my quiz. I just gave you every inch of my quiz.

Wo-man....I said...Wo-man.... you need looooooooooooooove"

You took my led zeppelin quiz. you took my led zeppelin quiz.

Good evening! Thanks very much for coming out...... Whole Lotta Love

105. In what song are the lyrics "I don't know what I like about you but I like it a lot?" Dazed & Confused

Not sure on some of the answers. I know this is an old quiz but its new to me, was fun

105 is communication breakdown

:notworthy: OOOPS How did I screw that up. My only defense is well .......a brain fart. I'm sure I didn't get them all right, some I didn't know. I was trying to answer them quickly and no references. But missing that YIKES!!!!!!!

83. What song did Plant and Elvis start singing together to break the ice when they met? Love Me tender

Nope, they sang "treat me like a fool treat me mean and cruel" which is the song called "love me"

According the Richard Cole book he also got called " the old lady" for the time he spent to doll himself up before a concert.

Nope, they sang "treat me like a fool treat me mean and cruel" which is the song called "love me"

According the Richard Cole book he also got called " the old lady" for the time he spent to doll himself up before a concert.

Yes i always thought that was great apparently worried about his hair, I've also read he would ask that windows be rolled up in the car as the breeze would mess up his lovely hair doo.

• 2 years later...

Archived